• Published 31st Aug 2013
  • 25,831 Views, 10,268 Comments

Odrsjot - Imploding Colon



Rainbow Dash and her companions fly east.

  • ...
46
 10,268
 25,831

PreviousChapters Next
All Hooves, Abandon Mountain

A large rumbling noise rolled through the structure. The sheer vibrations alone nearly threw Khao and Rainbow Dash off their hooves. With a gasp, Rainbow stumbled forward, only for the lead Heraldite to catch her and help her back onto four legs.

“Lemme guess…” Rainbow muttered as the two limped along. “The Sacred Hold is passing a stone?”

“I knew that this would happen,” Khao muttered, pulling the two of them down a precarious ledge looming above a large chamber full of abandoned chaos metal strips. “Soon enough, Lasairfion herself will be departing.”

“What, you mean for the machine world?” Rainbow wheezed as bits of dust and debris littered the ground around them. “Where the Ledomaritans are holed up?”

“Indeed,” Khao exhaled as she kicked a door open and shoved Rainbow through it. The two were engulfed in darkness and dim torchlight. “And Nevlamas will follow soon after.”

“Wait… Axan’s sister?” Rainbow Dash blinked dizzily. “She’s not happy to have Lasairfion do all the dirty work for her?”

“It’s hard to say whose work is whose anymore,” Khao said. “I have every reason to believe that Lasairfion is the true puppet master at work here.” She pulled Rainbow Dash around a corridor and led her down a straightaway of doorframes and flickering candles. “With the power of Nevlamas at her command, she’s orchestrated every movement of this war for the past half-decade--like conducting an orchestrated symphony of death.”

“You don’t say…”

“Infiltrating the Ledomaritan army with agents… attacking Seclorum’s defensive line at key locations… summoning an army of serpentine monsters…” Khao slowly nodded. “She’s been using this war to create an age of suffering and chaos that no other continent on this plane has seen.”

“But… why?”

“For all the resources the Herald has its disposal, we still don’t know everything.” Khao glanced at the pegasus. “Even still, I suspect that your presence here as a great deal to do with this.”

“Like how?”

“You’re the catalyst for Lasairfion’s next plans, whatever they may be.”

Rainbow Dash shuddered, gazing down at the passing stone floor. “When Nevlamas… looked into my head…” She gulped. “She found out about the open machine world and where it was located.” She bit her lip. “The invasion was just waiting for me to show up and give Nevlamas’ and Lasairfion’s minions the coordinates.”

“I suspect they always knew where to go, Harbinger.”

“Then why wait for me?!” Rainbow Dash snarled. “Why am I so important?! I refuse to be an agent of genocide!”

“You could have avoided it a long time ago if you had accepted my gracious offer.”

“Are we seriously gonna get into this again?!” Rainbow Dash snarled. “For the last time, you are not--” She froze in mid-speech, however, upon noticing movement to her right. She glanced to the side in time to see Xonan laborers lined up in one of the many chambers that they were passing. The low class Xonans knelt down before chaos strips. Murmuring tiny prayers, they summoned glowing white serpents who spun around until they faced the tattooed unicorns’ penitent bodies. Then, as the Xonans presented their forelimbs and necks, the serpents ravenously leapt upon them. Khao dragged Rainbow Dash along before she could see what happened next, but she could hear their horrific, blood-curdling cries. “Luna poop!” Rainbow Dash’s voice cracked. “What the buck are they doing?!”

“Lasairfion and Nevlamas are leaving!” Khao exclaimed over the bloody bedlam. “The Third Born have outlived their usefulness!”

“Then friggin’ take us back!” Rainbow Dash shouted, thrashing weakly in Khao’s grip. “We gotta stop them--”

“Don’t even jest,” Khao droned, not ceasing her gait for one moment.

Rainbow sneered at her. “Creeps or not, nopony deserves to just give up like that!”

“They gave up on life the very moment they subscribed to their false religion,” Khao said. “We would only doom ourselves and the fate of this plane if we put you unnecessarily in harm’s way.”

“Oh, you’re one to friggin’ talk, lady…”

“It matters little.” Khao paused by a junction of hallways, glancing down both corridors. “We need to get the book, reunite you with the flame, then leave Sacred Hold in time to rendezvous with my brothers and sisters.”

“And if I decide that I’d rather kick your flank in between now and then?”

“You’re welcome to try,” Khao said in a sighing tone. “Although, with the Sacred Relic in our possession, I seriously doubt your stubbornness will prove fruitful.”

Sure enough, Rainbow could only dangle limply from Khao’s shoulder as the Heraldite let her up a flight of stone stairs and towards a lofty corridor deep within the floating mountain.


“Raaaaaugh!” Roarke tossed two Xonans off her, slammed them against a far wall, and spun towards them with a snarl.

The unicorns shook off the pain and gripped their chaos strips. Just as their tattoos started brimming with otherworldly energy, their shocked faces lit up from the glow of rocket exhaust. A cluster of missiles exploded right before them, blowing a hole in the wall and knocking their flailing bodies into the open chasm below.

“Hah!” Zaid chanted as he, Nightshade, and the rest of the group covered the distance behind Roarke’s smoking figure. “I knew there’d be explosions eventually!”

“Hrmmmph…” Roarke retracted the missile launchers back into her armor. Tilting about, she trotted over the groaning, beaten bodies of Xonans and rejoined the group. “We haven’t much time. They’ve set off the alarms and will likely be sending an even bigger security detachment our way.”

Zaid reached over and patted Basso’s shoulder with a smirk. “Why don’t we just catapult this dude at them?”

Basso went cross-eyed. “Buh?”

“First thing’s first.” Roarke spun about with pistoning eye-lenses. “This should be the level where the book’s hidden.”

“Over there,” Nightshade said, pointing down the corridor. “The characters on the wall read ‘High Security Hold.’”

“H-how is it that you c-can transcribe written Xonan?” Zetta stammered, rubbing her aching head.

“I knew that I would be returning to the Eastern Front at some point,” the madame said. “Just… not quite in this haphazard fashion.”

“Whatever…” Roarke grunted as she approached the line of doors. “What we need to do is--” She froze in place, her armor rattling.

“Wh-what is it?” Basso asked.

“No…” Seething, Roarke dashed over a pair of collapsed guards and directly into the room beyond. “No no no no no no!” The body of the Sacred Hold rumbled all around.

Zetta stumbled on her hooves but managed to shout with a grimacing expression, “What’s wrong?! What do you see?”

After a few seconds, Roarke stuck her bewildered, pale face back out. “The book…” She gulped dryly. “It’s gone!”

The Ledomaritans mumbled insecurely. Basso and Zetta exchanged confused glances.

“Well, we’re boned,” Zaid belched.

“Rgggggh!” Roarke punched the wall with a metal hoof. Cracks and rivulets formed as she stood there, panting. “By Searo’s Womb! Who in the Hell could have wanted it more than us?!”

In the back of the group, Nightshade stood back in the shadows, saying nothing.


Stone doors slid open as Kera galloped eagerly into the Xonan brig. “Zaid! Zetta! Everypony!” She turned around and pointed at the doorframe. “Look what we got!”

Dalen stumbled nervously in, glancing left and right as he levitated the lavender book by his side. “Haluu’seem thriul meen’ess.” He gulped. “They’re gone…”

“What are you talking about?!” Kera beamed and spun about with a toss of her straight green mane. “They’re right where you left ‘em--” She froze, her emerald eyes blinking wide. The jail cell was completely empty, and the caged door hung wide open. “...friggin’ Hell.”

PreviousChapters Next