• Published 10th Feb 2023
  • 2,010 Views, 36 Comments

Famous Last Words - DannyJ



The last words of the great heroes, villains, and incidental players in the final days of Equestria.

  • ...
11
 36
 2,010

The Last

We're all beings of stardust in the end.

Something earthly, touched by something cosmic.

Time to return to the stars...

END.

Author's Note:

This story is a part of the Borderworld.

I rather like the mysterious tone and ambiguity of the fic as is, and if you do too, you can leave it at that. If you're dying for answers, however, some of the mysteries introduced here actually do have explanations, if you're willing to explore the rest of this universe. I won't be discussing spoilers in the comments, though.

This was just a quick little thing I did. I thought it would be an interesting one-and-done writing challenge. Something to do between other things I'm working on right now. I'll be interested to see how the site responds to this one, because usually my shorter, low effort stuff does really well (or at least better than my real stories). But on the other hand, this isn't a comedy like all my other short stuff, so that adds an element of uncertainty.

I don't know. We'll see.

Comments ( 26 )

A rather bleak ending for each character, but it does make sense considering what this was supposed to be part of. For a moment, before I started reading, I also thought this was going to be the backstory to the new Gen ponies.

Well, things don't get to a state comparable to Dark Souls without some tragedy and disaster along the way. A grim yet fascinating glimpse of the end of an era. Thank you for it.

11502731

I had this delightful moment where I was going to tag this as AU initially, and then I realised, "Oh wait! I don't have to, because Equestria canonically suffered an apocalypse!"

11502749

If only Twilight had an omniscient friend from the universe next door to warn her to make a mediocre movie about the future... :ajsleepy:

Absolutely brilliant. I was in tears by chapter 3.

11502752

Quips aside, nicely done with this!

I think you could still make a case for this warranting the AU, given that it kinda-sorta ties into a story that's explicitly an AU (if I'm reading this and FoME's comment correctly, that is), but that's just me talking where I probably shouldn't. :)

11502829

It's a borderline case. I'd tag AU if there were anything in the story itself explicitly contradicting canon, which some parts do arguably come close to, but I think the actual text is so vague on what's happening during and between all of these events that you could make a case for it taking place in canon between the series finale and G5 (if you wanted to apply a healthy dose of Death of the Author).

11502752
Juniper Montage looked up from the script to the arguably worse sight of an anticipatory Princess Twilight. She'd seen that same expression on dozens of prospective screenwriters trying to get their hooves in the door at Zoom Studios. Heck, she'd worn it herself once or twice while trying to get Uncle Canter to greenlight some of her earliest projects. But that look of naive optimism, of hoping against hope felt wrong on the ruler of Equestria. Especially given what Juniper thought of the script.

She cleared her throat. "Princess, be honest with me. Is this a cry for help?"

The princess flinched back as though struck. "What?"

"You just handed me a script that portrays the destruction of everything you worked to build and the grisly deaths of everypony you love, plus a few extras on the side." Juniper flipped to the last page. "The last scene is a black screen with a vague, ominous voiceover attributed to something called 'The Last.' If it weren't written in the right format, I'd have thought you gave me some worst-case scenario national defense documents by mistake."

"Ah." Princess Twilight cleared her throat. "So you have some notes?"

"I have concerns. About you." Juniper sighed and shook her head. "Not that I'm equipped to handle any of them. The film might sell with a donkey audience, Your Highness, but even they may find it too depressing. Seriously, Princess Twilight, are you okay?"

The princess nodded and rose from her seat, taking the script out of Juniper's grip, magically incinerating it, and whisking the ashes off to wherever princesses sent their garbage. "I'll be fine, Ms. Montage. I'll just have to go to Plan B."

Much of Juniper didn't want to know. The part that was still a six-year-old filly on the edge of her seat at her first monster movie blurted out, "Plan B for what?"

Princess Twilight shrugged her wings. "Once I think of it, you'll find out."

11502905

It's so hard to find good help in Applewood.

Excellent addition, thank you.

This was very well written and gave me rising goosebumps the entire way through, very well done. Now I wanna check out more of your universe

Posh #11 · Feb 10th, 2023 · · 1 ·

DannyJ

My sympathy to the poor fucker that has their fate left in your hands. I shudder at the thought of being in their place. (edited)

How the hell did they consider you a valid potential juror anyway? A single glance at Dragonfall should have immediately disqualified you.



Posh
Being selected for jury duty doesn’t automatically mean I serve on a jury. You’re in the jury pool for a day. Most people don’t get picked.

if I’m brought up as a juror, then I can mention dragonfall.


DannyJ
"Your honor, I cannot possibly serve on this jury, due to how intensely, unapologetically racist I am. As evidence, I would like to submit all of my My Little Pony fanfiction in which Hitler is a recurring character."

11502923

Absolutely love the concept but I'm already starting to cry :fluttercry:

Then my work here is done.

static.wikia.nocookie.net/mlp/images/7/71/Cheese_Sandwich_donning_his_hat_S4E12.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140128230741

Glad you liked it.

I do love me some good war stories, and this definitely gives a nice keyhole-glimpse into a much darker Equestria. I know nothing about this setting, but I think this is a really interesting read regardless. Tragic, dreadful, and yet utterly fascinating.

Well... not being a reader who's familiar with the Borderworld, I will admit that I got less of this story than a reader who's familiar with would have (as per your own words).

That said, I did like each of these snippets for what it was, and I also liked the overall combination. One way or the other, they all conveyed the despair inherent to being about to die, but each of them conveyed it in different ways characteristic to their characters, which I congratulate you for pulling off.

I like also how you portrayed all the different emotions depending on the bit. I think my personal highlights are Maud's subdued horror at what happened to Pinkie, Spitfire's declaration of love towards Soarin in her final moments, Discord's petulant outrage even as he tries his best, followed by him professing his love for Fluttershy (and the way sentiment is echoed in her own segment, regardless of the type of love it's intended to be), and Lightning Dust wanting Rainbow Dash to take her place in the final moment (as I feel in some way it shows the genuine positive respect she has for her)... but really, they were all great.

Kudos to you!

Sheesh. I'm at a loss for words. It's...rather stunning. You can just picture what some are actually like. While some are peaceful, others disturbing; The Perfect Way The World Ends

:moustache: So this is what happens when you leave food in the fridge too long...
:duck: You don't eat it, It eats you

:facehoof: I could of made it frost free...

Without knowing the fic this is a partner to, this is... really, very generic.

11503810

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed.

11504630

Sorry to have disappointed.

Could you please elaborate on which elements you found generic? Is there anything specific you would have preferred for me to have done differently?

Short but heavily effective in its own unique way, I like how you put so little words in these chapters yet with the context it’s again…heavily effective.



Also I find it funny how I pretty much zipped through these chapters so quickly that the site seems to only register that I only read like 5-6 of em.

Edit: I’m sorry it was actually 4.

I think that this captures beauty of writing, as well as strong characterization of characters from MLP in general.
Less is more.

Dimension lost
scanning remains
...!
Remains of anomaly Codenamed BLACKMOON detected!

11553259

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it.

Seems to me that maybe Discord opened the gates to the Chaos Dimensions where all those demons reside? That'd explain all the possessions and how he killed himself trying to bring in something so chaotic even he can't control it. That's my first guess. As for the story itself, it was quite an interesting format, and it pieced together a coherent narrative worth reflecting on. I quite enjoyed it.

11636576

In this case I can neither confirm nor deny theories. There will be answers one day, if I ever finish Fire Burning, but in the meantime it's up to interpretation.

Login or register to comment