• Published 1st Jul 2020
  • 11,851 Views, 1,379 Comments

Beyond Me - Boopy Doopy



This isn't me. I am not this pony.

  • ...
90
 1,379
 11,851

PreviousChapters
Fresh Start

Celestia felt good about this.

Keeping Asher close would be a great thing. Making sure she wasn’t working against her would be beneficial, since the filly definitely had the capacity to manipulate the world around her, both intentionally and unintentionally. There was a risk that she would convince her sister to do something against what she desired, or even having herself convinced of such things, But it was an acceptable risk if she could mitigate her influence. Or better yet, mold her into a pony she could use to advance her goals. Asher was quite a charismatic pony, in her estimation.

The filly left after a while, leaving the alicorn alone to finish court, a couple of noble ponies remaining after the sun went down. She was certain that she knew what questions were coming.

“Who was that filly?” her nephew, Prince Blueblood asked. “I heard you suggesting that she join your advisory council. Do you know her intimately?”

“I do indeed, and believe she would be best served if she was placed onto it once she became of age. She has the potential to shape the environment around her, and I think it would be best if she were under the guidance and control of those who know how to keep Equestria running effectively. I believe her potential for chaos is high.”

“I see, and that makes sense,” he nodded. “Is it acceptable if I spoke with her this afternoon? Where is she located? Where can I mail a letter?”

“If you deliver it to my student, Twilight Sparkle, it will be received by her.”

“I see. Then a letter shall be sent, and a visit will be made. I heard a stallion from Ponyville discussing with me her potential, although he mentioned it in relation to her ability to operate businesses effectively and increase profit. He claimed that his own business was doing better, and that raises were given to his employees as a result. A mind for such things would be extremely beneficial to us, as well as to the finances of Equestria if what I hear is true.”

So then she was being talked up. That wasn’t a surprise, with how she carried herself. Filthy Rich sure made a ruckus over her behavior. But hopefully she was having a positive effect on her environment and not a negative one, like before.

The conversation ended with that, and she dispersed herself to dinner with her sister, who was just waking up. Luna yawned tiredly, and politely asked how the day went.

“It was good, although as busy as it always is. I did see Asher though, just like you said, and I do believe it was clear that she was seeking political engagement in Equestria. Because of this, I offered her a position on my council once she turns fourteen.”

Luna nodded politely, but didn’t say anything at first, instead sipping coffee carefully. When she did speak, she said, “And you have no qualms about this? Are you not upset?”

“I explained to you before that I was not upset, and said that I would not be hindering her movements. Perhaps she’s not from Equestria, but now she is one of my little ponies. As a result, she will be treated as such.”

“I see. In any case, we consider it beneficial that you are moving past such issues. If we can though, we would like to visit with her before Night Court begins, so we may catch up with her. Or rather, him.”

“Do as you wish. You’re not under my jurisdiction, sister, and if you were, I would still find no issue with it.”

Yes, she did find issue with it. She found issue with important ponies speaking to the filly and having their minds potentially influenced by her as she seemed to do so easily. She had even more issue with her trying to enter politics, a move that seemed to be purely antagonistic. But she could put them aside, at least in public, since telling her off for doing such things and asserting her authority only made Asher more antagonistic it seemed.

Besides, this way she could keep her watchful eye on her and make sure she didn’t step out of line. If she did, Princess Celestia would surely put a stop to it.


A whole lot of ponies were staring at us– at me– when we stepped out of the castle, probably still in awe that the princess came down specifically to talk to me. Apparently, it caused enough of a scene that everyone wanted to ask questions. I couldn’t say I was very surprised.

“What was she like?” “What did she tell you?” “How did you get to meet with the princess?” “Does she know you?” It was basically the grown up version of the way Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and company treated me when I told them about going to the castle. These ponies were just as much her fanatics as they were, but I wasn’t very surprised. I guess I couldn’t really speak about it with them either. How different was I, really?

I mostly brushed them off, although I was interested when a couple of those white ponies came up and introduced themselves as Prince Blueblood and Fancy Pants. They did indeed look like fancy princes, so their names were fitting. Just as well dressed now as they were the day before, although they were still wearing the same clothes now. I don’t know why I noticed that, but it was interesting.

“You’re the colt Golden Crest here has spoken to us about,” Fancy Pants started, then leaned down to get a closer look at my face. He had a confused look on his face, and raised an eyebrow a moment later. I knew what he was about to say.

“You’re a filly?” he asked. “We were told you were a colt.”

“I have a genetic condition,” I said flatly. Still not technically a lie, but it felt like one anyway. I wished I could think of something different to say as an explanation.

“What sort would that be?” the other one, Prince Blueblood asked as he bent around to get a look at me. “I see no marks that you’ve been gelded or faced a similar circumstance.”

“I’d rather you not look at my flank, please?” I asked, blushing deeply. “Either way, I don’t see how that matters.”

“Well, it matters, as in this city, we typically keep stallions business to stallions and mares business to mare.”

Well, wasn’t that a statement. They must have seen the frustrated look on my face, because Fancy Pants started to explain further.

“Mares typically hold positions like ruling and law making, whereas stallions work in fields such as business or financial services. Things such as advising the princess are considered neutral, as is the tradition of Canterlot, and Equestria at large.”

“So no stallion has ever been mayor of a place? Because I’m definitely sure that I saw mares owning businesses.” I almost called out the fact that he was a prince, but stopped myself short.

“As far as I can recall, that’s correct in that stallions have never held positions of power, such as mayoral seats or governorships. That’s not to say stallions cannot do these things, or that mares cannot own business; it’s just how tradition shapes Equestria. Most ponies follow these things subconsciously.”

Well wasn’t that a new wrinkle? I guess it made sense though. After all, Princess Celestia said she was gonna pick Twilight Sparkle to take her place as ruler of Equestria when she retired rather than just letting her nephew have her place. Didn’t make it less frustrating though.

“Golden Crest has told us about your skills in helping him operate his business, and we must say, it’s quite impressive. However, in our case, we’d rather find a stallion to mentor in that aspect than a filly, as is tradition.”

“And I assume me telling you that I’m a colt won’t change anything, will it?”

“Not unless you can prove such, no.”

“I’m unsure why you would want to be under our tutelage in any case,” the prince started again. “The princess herself has already stated that she would appoint you to her advisory council when you become of age, did she not? Why would you aim lower than what you’re already receiving?”

“Well, would you be willing to tutor me in politics?” I asked. “Like, showing me how to be a representative or make good judgements on what ponies want?”

“Oh, well, of course. If you’ve already gotten the princess’s favor, that would be no issue if you were seeking that. Golden Crest had us under the impression you were a colt seeking tutoring for financial management.”

“Well, I do want to own a business, too,” I said, “and I am a colt, but–”

“Now if you’re going to assert yourself as being a colt, I’m unsure about how far our tutelage can go,” Fancy Pants interrupted. “It will become an issue if Canterlot citizens believe Prince Blueblood and I to be rejecting the traditions of Equestria, and we shall not stand for that.”

I wasn’t going to get frustrated by this. I was not going to get frustrated. I was getting somewhere with what I wanted to do, and I had to keep that in mind. The ends justified the means.

“Except why am I doing this at all? What’s the point?” Sure, I wanted Equestria to change, mostly because of my disdain for Celestia, but was it really worth going to these lengths to accomplish it? I didn’t think so.

“Except your not going to complain because this was exactly what you wanted. You knew this was what you were getting into, so don’t get upset now that things won’t be all sunshines and rainbows.”

I let out the longest sigh of my life. “I understand,” I said, knowing it would hurt but wanting to move forward anyway. I set out to do exactly this, and I couldn’t really complain now that they were giving me the opportunity, even if I knew what came with it.

“When do I actually start learning from under you?” I asked.

“I believe one year before you come of age would be sufficient,” Fancy Pants said. “How old are you now?”

“Nine years old? I think?”

“Well then once you are thirteen, that would be good. We will be remaining in regular contact with you, and should this proceed, we do expect you to remain in contact with us.” Then he let out his hoof to shake and finished, “It has been fine making your acquaintance, Asher. We look forward to meeting you.” And then I shook both of their hooves, and that was it.

“Was that really it?” I asked. “Just as simple as that?”

“Having the princess back you up certainly makes ponies turn their heads your way, much more than I was able to do for you,” Golden Crest said. “Not great that they’re gonna be calling you a filly, but overall, that was a positive! You’re gonna be well past anything I could hope for by the time your half my age!”

Yes, it was a net positive. This was a positive, and I had to look at it that way. I set out to get myself roped into politics like this, and went and did exactly that. Mission accomplished.

“Is something wrong?” Twilight asked. “You don’t look exactly happy about that conversation.”

“It’s nothing. I’m just kind of in shock, I guess. I didn’t expect this all to be done in a day, and now I’m not really sure what else there is to do except wait around for four years.” More like ten years in Earth time.

“Well, maybe you just have that kind of persuasion, or luck. You do need a little bit of both to make it far in Canterlot, and it seems like you have it.”

“Hmm. Yeah, I guess I am.” And I really was. For someone who was an alien in a strange world and not really knowing what he was doing, I sure was making a lot of progress. And making friends, and finding some kind ponies, and dealing with people who hated me and having internal issues, and helping people and basically everything that came along with life on Earth. Except as a pony. And a girl. Maybe this was a fresh start. A fresh start as something I didn’t want to be in a place I didn’t want to be, but a fresh start nonetheless.

“Ha. Yeah right.”

Okay, maybe not a fresh start. It was more like I was trying to make the most of a new opportunity. Or maybe just keep my head above water as I floundered around without the slightest clue what I was doing. But I guess it was better to be a filly in Equestria than it was for God to do something like make me a kid in China in 500 BC or something. I didn’t know how much better it was, but it was at least a little bit. I would still have rather stayed on Earth though. But it wasn’t like I got to choose anything else so far, why would that change now?

“Lord, thank you for this opportunity,” I prayed silently, trying my hardest to feel grateful. “I’m going to make the most of it.” At least, I would try to.

Hopefully.

Author's Note:

Wooooo the end of part 1! Finally! If you liked it, consider reading the sequel, "Within You", which can be found here!

You can also join my discord here: https://discord.gg/RTnx9HpRUu
If you want, you can commission me to write stories by messaging me.

If you hated the story... I'm sorry? But thank you for reading to the end?
And if you liked it... thank you for reading to the end! Of part one anyway.

Man, this is a long story...

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 19 )

I have a feeling that at some point he will lead Twilight to feeling that Staying as the Princess of ponyvile is the right way. I mean when the Tree of harmony sets up a home and place of rulership in the town...maybe it is gods will?

it looks like Celestia is going to run into issues with controlling Luna. That fact that she is not seeing Luna as a equal, but as someone who's ideas need to be limited....

Congrats on finishing the (first) book!

Overall, I really like the idea of a story actually being about the body dysmorphia and other issues that come with the MC's gender being changed against their will. There probably could have been a lot more focus on that stuff- but that would go against the MC's religious side of things... really, I just wanted more internal conflict, maybe a bit of external. Hopefully the sequel involves Asher taking more of a stand for himself.

Overall, I enjoyed Part 1, but would be extremely upset if the whole story had actually ended here.

“I see. In any case, we consider it beneficial that you are moving past such issues. If we can though, we would like to visit with her before Night Court begins, so we may catch up with her. Or rather, him.”

it is a shame that we do not get to see this discussion since you are moving on to your next book

Well, I still have mixed feelings about this story. Which makes it good in my sense : ) Some parts I like, some I don't, but I'm surely glad that it exists and I've read it. Please keep it up, and I'm off to the sequel : )

Saw this a few times, finally decided to take a peek. (only 1/3d through it, so: I haven't read all of it at time of posting.)

One thing I can't help but find intriguing, at least for myself, is the level of rigidity of the protagonist's mentality involving both shift in what seems to be their new reality, and how their faith works internally. It seems to be what I can probably describe as an at least somewhat rigid interpretation of Christianity. (which could be right for all I know. Not judging, just noticing.)

I find it interesting due to the more flexible form I used in my story's character, who was more philosophical and pragmatic in his foundation than literal interpretation alone, letting events not shake his faith, because his view was able to accept his situation without it feeling like evidence to the contrary of his faith.

Not to say he was better,(as mine genuinely feels damned to hell by some of his own actions) but rather by reading this it helps me understand another manner of view point due to the similarities and contrasts.

A long story indeed, but I've enjoyed it nonetheless. Can't wait to see more in the next book!

11521381
Ok, I'll keep at it. It's just so ... Yeah.

Slow burn? No burn. Nothing happened that couldn't have been achieved in 30k words or less. It was literally the same thing every chapter. I regret losing the time I did to read this and might not even read the sequel if/when it's done.
Sorry, but I didn't like this story.

11522702
Well, I very much apologize, and can only say I thank you for giving it a shot and that I wish i knew in the year 2020 what I know now.

11522788
We all learn and grow and I you're still one of my fav authors.

What a nice way to wrap things up. Things are finally starting to look up for him. Also, I find Celestia's progress in this kinda funny. Goes from "who is this?" to "yeet the child" and then "I must point his chaos at something else" lol

11546377
nah man i know its a trope i guess (kinda hard to relate if your older) i wouldn't deny its a thing but its usually create harems or dark/angst stories .
itd make more sense if we as a audience spend a decent chunk of the story or have him start as a male pony then some time passes where he finally gets the basics with being a pony then discord or someone changes him to female to even further stress him and lead him to outbursts because he though he was finally getting use to being a pony but now hes a female and pairs that with the problems that follow gender swapping would have more investment imo for readers or just people who dont relate at all and have more weight/ make readers more invested imo not trying to tell the author how to write their story just my thoughts

story is good just not my thing and its a fair bit heavy handed with what hes trying to convey through writing, also damn i forgot i even wrote that comment its been 6 months since kinda grateful someone replies rather than smacking the big dislike button as i would be interested in why people disagree or see a counterpoint.

Interesting set up for the next installment. I look forward to catching up with it.

I also hope there’s more Talent Discovery Association. I like how they progressed -especially Silver Spoon.

Celestia is still referring to Asher as female. Luna caught that and knows Celestia is lying through her teeth about her disdain.
Well, it's been... mildly interesting at least, if not frustrating. We'll see if we continue into the sequel.,,

I have one critique Asher seems to be fighting God's choice to make him female, which confuses me as devout of a believer he seems to be. In his place I would have grudgingly accept it as necessary for what ever I'm intended to do here.

11874570
Nowhere in the bible can I find that Solomon explicitly practiced magic. If you are referring to the seal of solomon, that is a myth.

The actual text states that jews and craftsmen from Tyre worked on building the temple over close to a decade. The tithes to the temple were used during this time to pay for the labor.

Also, Solomon wasn't sinless, wisest man in the world? Yes, but not sinless, not by a long shot. He had a thousand wives, most of these from political marriages, the text says his heart was turned away from God towards foreign idols. His example is what I believe was the jews fall into ruin and apostasy.

If he ever practiced magic, ie sorcerery, it was during this period. Later in life, he repented of these things.
At the tail-end of his life, he wrote ecclesiastes to warn of the futility of life apart from God.

I hope this finds you well, and may God guide you home.

11874570
Solomon didn't practice magic, but Samuel had his spirit raised up by the Witch of Endor through King Saul, and it made Samuel and God both very upset.

11876236

What!? Akom produced all sorts of American shows.

11878053
I think the audience is debating whether that is good or bad. I'm on the side that is bloody necessary. Even in the show, anytime Celestia is on screen I question her leadership skills. (Twilight's Kingdom broke me)

Login or register to comment