• Published 1st Jul 2020
  • 11,852 Views, 1,379 Comments

Beyond Me - Boopy Doopy



This isn't me. I am not this pony.

  • ...
90
 1,379
 11,852

PreviousChapters Next
Friendliness

We only talked for a little while more before Caramel and I parted. They offered me a few cupcakes before starting to walk away to another part of the party.

“I… you don’t act like a colt,” they said as they turned around for one last comment. “I mean, you seem like an adult, not a foal. That’s what I meant.”

“I mean, I- actually... the short answer is that I am, but I don’t want to get into all of that right now. But it’s nice to be treated like one. Thank you.”

“If, um, if you ever want to talk again, I live near Sugarcube Corner.”

“That big gingerbread looking place?”

“Yeah. I'm the house right behind it. It’d be nice to talk to you again, as weird as it sounds, since, you know… but you don’t have to come by if you don’t want to.”

“I will. I’ll stop by. It’s nice to… learn more about... and… yeah. I’ll come by.”

The pony blushed and gave a small smile before telling me, “Thank you. Really. I- you really did make me feel better about myself, and much more confident than I was before. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” I replied simply. “It’s no trouble at all. Thank you for the conversation.”

With that, they started off, leaving me alone for good. I took a seat at the table we were at and sat by myself for a while, thinking over what just happened for a few minutes before Holiday and Lofty arrived.

“There he is, our favorite colt,” Holiday greeted, smiling once she saw my own smile form because of her words. “What are you doing here all alone? You know this is a party dear.”

“I was just talking to- wait, what are you two doing here?” I asked, a bit confused.

“We were invited here just like you, sweetie,” she answered.

“You can’t decline one of Pinkie Pie’s parties if you can help it,” Lofty added, “even if you're an older mare like us.”

“Well, I guess that makes sense,” I decided, figuring I wouldn’t question it. “I still don’t really know what this holiday is about though, except that it’s the start of summer here.”

“It’s just that, the start of summer,” Holiday explained. “The sun is raised as a celebration to Princess Celestia because she’s the ruler of Equestria and protects it.”

I could only roll my eyes at that explanation, saying, “For someone who says she’s not a god, she certainly has no problem with being deified like she is.”

“Deified?”

“Yeah, she has a holiday dedicated to her and people say that she’s benevolent and all powerful, and I’m pretty sure I heard someone tell me ‘Celestia bless you’. If that’s not being deified, then I don’t know what is. I mean, you wouldn’t just use her name like that if you didn’t consider her practically a god.”

“Oh, sweetie, we don’t…” Holiday started before trailing off in thought. “Well, I guess we kind of do treat her like that. But to be fair, she is the ruler of Equestria. She deserves it.”

“Of course she does,” I replied sarcastically, rolling my eyes. “Anyway, is there a main event to this holiday? When does it end? Is it just a celebration?”

“There is a main event,” Lofty explained. “It’s when Celestia raises the sun. It commemorates her rule as Princess of Equestria and the start of the Summer Solstice. As well, it's the longest day of the year because she keeps it raised for a full twenty-four hours, midnight to midnight. This year, we’re going to gather in the town hall to watch it. The princess should be there, too, since this year’s holiday is being held here.”

“Speaking of which, where are those fillies?” Holiday asked. “Are they here? We were all going to go watch it together.”

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen them in a few minutes. Which reminds me, they’re going to be very hungover tomorrow. They drank four mugs of cider all at once.”

“Haha, that’s Scootaloo for you,” the pegasus laughed. “Yeah, they’re not gonna enjoy tomorrow morning if that’s the case, but it’s nothing a little time and some sleep won’t cure.”

“Oh, actually, I do think I know where they’re at. They and I are supposed to have a sleepover with two other fillies, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.”

The two mares blinked at me like I had just sprouted a pair of wings, Lofty asking, “With who? How did you manage that? Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle hate those two fillies, and honestly, I don’t care for them much myself.”

“What do you mean? I know they don’t like each other, but-”

“They don’t just not like each other, Asher, they absolutely despise each other. As in, they’re at each other's throats the moment they see each other, mostly because those two fillies tease the whole class, especially them. They get it from their parents I think. Completely spoiled rotten, honestly, and Cheerilee can’t do a thing about it because of their parents’ social status.”

“Well, I mean, they’re ten if I remember correctly, and… schoolchildren? So it’s not like it’s hard to get them to get along.”

“I don’t think you understand just how deep their dislike for each other went back.”

“Well… I mean, I guess it wasn’t that deep, seeing as we’re gonna have a sleepover tonight. Although to be fair, they were kind of drunk, but still.”

“And you’re going with them, right, Asher?” Holiday asked. “I don’t really trust them going to a sleepover with those two without you there.”

“Yes, I’ll go. I already said I would, even though I’d rather not. Actually, I'd rather do anything else. I'm only going because I know if I don't they'll keep fighting over me, and that's even worse. Oh, by the way, when is the last day I’m supposed to be staying with you? I guess tonight, right?”

“I think so, but Princess Celestia didn’t exactly tell us. But I mean, we don’t stay in Ponyville full time. We’re only here for part of the year when Scootaloo’s parents are away, and I’m not sure if Celestia would want you to come with us to our house. It’s a bit of a ways away from Ponyville.”

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure she wants me to live with Twilight, so probably not. But, um…” I blushed as I continued, “It would be nice to see you guys again sometime.”

“Of course we’ll see you again,” Holiday smiled kindly. “You’re a very nice colt to have with us, Asher. Oh, and we’ll make sure you get your stuff before you go to whoever you’ll be living with.”

“Thank you. I appreciate what you’ve done. And even though I’m not sure if you believe me, thank you for treating me like an adult and calling me a boy. It’s made the last few weeks of dealing with… this easier than it might have been. I appreciate it.”

“It’s no trouble at all, dear.” With that, the two kissed, and I had to close my eyes and force myself not to cringe or let out an annoyed breath.

“Be nice, be nice, be nice. Even if you don’t agree with it, the least you can do is be nice. You already know that this is the reason you’re here. Even if you’re not saying anything out loud, you should still be nice in your head.”

“How have you been though today, Asher?” the mare asked. “Have you been enjoying the holiday?”

“It could’ve been better,” I answered. “I don’t know. It’s been kind of stressful. But that’s mostly my fault. But it hasn’t been too bad, other than a few moments. How has your day been?”

“Oh, we’ve been well, thank you for asking. We just want to make sure you’re doing well, Asher. We know that this is very tough on you, this, um… situation.”

“It’s okay. I’ve been getting used to it, I think anyway. I mean, I could be better, but I’m not too bad. It's... kind of a weird thing to get used to, but I think I am.”

“Are you sure? You know you can talk to us about anything,” Lofty told me.

“I’m sure. It’s just- I feel like I’ve had to deal with a lot of stuff I don’t want to deal with today. But I’m better now, I think. I’m just a little stressed out, but I basically always am lately, so it’s not like it’s anything I’m not used to.”

“Well, if you say you’re okay, then we’ll take that. But we did want to let you know that it was nice living with you kiddo, even if you weren't- er, aren’t- exactly a kid.”

“Thank you,” I responded politely. "It was nice living with you, too, and honestly, I’d prefer to stay with you two if I could. You helped me learn some new things, and honestly, it was a nice experience. Thank you.”

“Awww, it’s no trouble at all sweetie,” Holiday said bashfully. “Anyway, we were going to head over to the town hall to watch the sunrise soon. Did you want to help us find those fillies and watch it with us?”

“Sure. I have nothing better to do anyway.”


“Wow, you two really don’t know each other?” Twilight Sparkle asked, speaking to Rainbow Dash and Lightning Dust. “You’re both practically the same in every way. I’d have thought you were sisters.”

“I would think so as well, Rainbow,” Rarity commented. “I mean, you and this mare share almost everything in common it seems.”

“Ha! It seems so!” Lightning Dust agreed. “How have we never met each other before today?”

“I don’t know, but yeah, if you want to talk about sisters, Fluttershy is practically my sister. I’ve known that pegasus since flight school in Cloudsdale, and we’ve been friends just as long.”

“Oh, well, I’m sure it hasn’t been that long, Rainbow,” Fluttershy said shyly. “I mean, I do remember you helping me out when I was a foal against those bullies.”

“Haha, yeah, you were the smallest pony there! You needed somepony strong like me there to defend you. Where would you be without me?” Rainbow Dash grinned at her, and Fluttershy blushed and smiled shyly because of it.

“You know, for a group of friends, you all have such contrasting personalities,” Twilight Sparkle commented. “I’d think you guys wouldn’t hang out with each other at all, honestly.”

“Oh, that’s what making friends is all about, dear,” Rarity told her. “Finding different ponies and striking up conversation with them! Speaking to somepony who was exactly the same as you would be the same as talking to yourself, and I think everypony here can agree that’s no fun at all.”

“Eeyup.”

“Plus, how do you plan on learning new things without friends?” Rainbow asked. “Like new tricks to impress the Wonderbolts! Or, I guess magic spells in your case. Point is, other ponies expand your horizons.”

“Hmmm… I guess I never really thought about it like that…” Twilight admitted, considering the prospect. “I mean, I guess I could try and-”

“Hey guys!” Pinkie Pie suddenly shouted, getting everypony’s attention. “As super duper fun as this new pony party is, we need to get to the town hall to watch Princess Celestia raise the sun! It’s gonna be so much fun!”

“Dang it! How long have I been standing here talking to you guys?” Twilight gave an annoyed huff and stomped a hoof as she grumbled, “So much for what friends have gotten me.”

Author's Note:

Fun fact! If you support me on patreon, you can get early access to new (unedited) chapters of The Human Incident and Beyond Me, if you're interested in that kind of thing.

Wanna join my discord? Or buy me a coffee? Do you have a commission request?

PreviousChapters Next