• Published 1st Jul 2020
  • 11,812 Views, 1,379 Comments

Beyond Me - Boopy Doopy



This isn't me. I am not this pony.

  • ...
90
 1,379
 11,812

PreviousChapters Next
The Sun And The Moon

Nightmares were Luna’s business, as it had been before she became Nightmare Moon.

She’d been slowly getting back into the thick of things over the summer, and with a few months left before Nightmare Night, she could safely say she was once again up to speed on protecting ponies from the monsters that lay in their dreams.

She tried not to be discriminatory in who she helped– as much as she wanted to prioritize foals over adults and Canterlot citizens over the rest of Equestria, she made certain to visit an even number amount of dreams, carefully moving from one pony to the next to make sure everything was in order.

Of course, she didn’t always keep the rule– if she saw somepony who was particularly young or having a particularly bad dream, she would head directly over to them. Likewise, if it was somepony she knew, she would give that pony priority. In this case, the latter was what made her take exception, a sense of familiarity emanating from a nightmare being had by somepony on the train that made its way to Canterlot. She finished up her work in the dream of the pony she was in then and quickly entered into the one that now had her attention.

“Ah, it is Asher, is it not?” she asked as she swooped down to the filly, who was laying on her back staring up at nothing, dead eyed. The entire room was black and empty, a light from nowhere illuminating the filly in the darkness. It was one of the more strange scenes the princess came across.

“Fear not, for I’m here to banish your terrors to dust,” Luna announced confidently, hiding her confusion at the scene. “Show me the way to those who seek you harm.”

“I don’t think you’re gonna find them because they’re all in my head,” the filly said dully, turning over onto her side.

“Well yes, dreams do reside in a pony’s head, but my magic penetrates through your mind to ward off any demons that might seek you harm.”

“That’s not what I mean,” she sighed sadly. “I’m starting to forget what I even look and sound like… what I used to anyway.” She let out a breath, continuing, “Within another few hundred days, I’m gonna forget almost completely. I know what I’m supposed to look like, but I can’t put the picture together in my head correctly.”

“Ah, well, that’s an easy task,” Luna smiled. “Stay still, and I will bring your memories forward for you.” The mare closed her eyes and let her magic work over the filly, completely surrounding her in the transparent blue aura. Before long, she opened her eyes again, and the filly was gone. In her place was the strange bipedal creature she saw in Asher’s dreams before, except now with a much shorter mane that barely made it past one inch.

“Oh my gosh, you’re amazing,” he thanked her happily, now almost towering over her as he ran up to hug her. “I need a mirror though,” he continued. “I don’t wanna forget what I look like again.”

“Of course,” she said, conjuring one up. “Although if you’re ever afraid you’ve forgotten, consider it no trouble to contact me. The same thing can be done in real life, and a projection of yourself can be brought forth for you to view.”

“I assume it’s too much to ask that you’re able to turn me into a human in real life, isn’t it?” She shook her head no, and he continued, “Well, remembering what I look like is good anyway. At least I can be me in my dreams.” He examined himself in the mirror, finishing, “I’m pretty sure this is what I looked like before I came to Equestria. I must be twenty six by now.”

“While I inhabit your dreams,” the alicorn began, “may I ask what you are doing on a train approaching Canterlot?”

“Do you remember the last time I saw you, how you said I should get into politics? Well I’m doing that now… man, I love this body so much!” He turned to the mirror and looked at himself from side to side. Luna didn’t see anything particularly remarkable about it, but apparently the filly-turned-human did, smiling widely at the sight of himself.

“Man, I missed being a human so much,” he said happily. “Being a pony sucks, and being a girl sucks even more.”

“Well that certainly sounds like an interesting experience,” Luna said, a bit taken aback by his words, “but if that’s what you wish for out of your dreams, we are glad to be of service to you.” Before he could reply, she continued, “We do not remember you saying you would become a politician however. In fact, I do believe we specifically advised against it, even though you would be good at such things.”

Asher looked at her confused, opening his mouth to ask a question, but no words coming out for a long moment. “Okay,” he finally said after a while. “Well, I just thought it would be cool to do, and so now I’m doing it. That’s why I’m headed to Canterlot with Golden Crest. We’re gonna talk to a few people in the city and see what we could get in terms of an internship of being somepony’s understudy.”

“Mhm, I see. Well, we do wish you nothing but success. However, we should warn you that the nobility of Canterlot does not take especially well to ponies who are strange or go against the grain of what’s considered traditional.”

“What do you mean?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Just that you should be careful about how you present yourself,” she told him. “If you say you’re a fully grown stallion when you look like a little filly, it’ll be much more difficult to tie yourself into the circle of ponies that rules Equestria, if that’s what you’re after. Be like they are, if possible.”

“Ugh. Of course they’re gonna be like that. I can’t say I’m surprised though. I wouldn’t want to– well, nothing. I don’t think I’m gonna say what I’m thinking out loud.” He paused, and then asked, “But is this you saying I should or I shouldn’t do this?”

“We’re not suggesting you should go about anything,” Luna clarified. “We’re only offering advice for what you should do if you chose this path for yourself.” It earned a confused, slightly suspicious look from the strange looking creature, and she continued, “I cannot make a decision for you; I can only suggest how to go about your actions if you decide for yourself this is what you wish to do.”

“So you’re not telling me to be a politician?” Asher asked.

“I am not.”

Another weird expression came from him, and Luna wore a confused one back. They stared into each other's eyes for a long moment before Asher finally looked away.

“Okay, if you say so.” Then he asked, “Do you think you could change this dream into something I want? Like, being able to go to my parents house or hanging out in my apartment with friends or something?”

“We surely could, and will,” she announced, lighting up her horn again. “Give us one moment.”


“I believe I had a strange interaction with the filly you’ve taken a dislike to,” Luna said at the table in the dining hall shortly before her sister rose the sun.

“Which filly is that?” Celestia asked carefully as she rubbed her eyes. “I don’t believe there’s a pony in all of Equestria who I feel anything other than love and affection for.”

“It’s the one who sent you into a fit several months ago,” the princess of the night continued, rubbing her own eyes. “Asher? We know you remember her from how often you write to your student about her. Many times your thoughts seem distracted, as though you’re thinking about her.”

Celestia frowned, but didn’t speak immediately. She didn’t dislike Asher, but she couldn’t say she had any fondness for her at all.

“Yes, I do know of her,” the white alicorn replied. “In fact, she’s coming to Canterlot with Twilight as we speak. She should be within the city soon. What about her do you believe is strange? When did you interact with her?”

“It was in her dreams just this night. She said she was looking to enter herself into Canterlot politics soon.” Celestia’s face hardened as her sister continued, “I have no issues with it of course; in fact, I think fondly of Asher, especially after the events of the recent holiday. But we’re letting you know because we know you have a certain disdain for her like you have had for nopony else in recent memory.”

“I hold no disdain for her,” Celestia said quickly, unsure if Luna believed her. “I dislike that her interference has affected plans I have set into motion, but I understand it’s not Asher’s fault.”

“Do you?”

Yes, I do,” Celestia said forcefully. “I understand she’s not here of her own accord.” She heard the tone in her voice, and closed her eyes to take a breath and relax. She couldn’t let her emotions get out of control. It truly was not Asher’s fault that the things that were happening were playing out. She needed to keep that in mind.

“I have no qualms if she chooses to insert herself into the politics of Canterlot,” Celestia decided firmly. “If that’s her prerogative, I will not stand in her way. However, if she’s expecting to be treated differently from any other pony who approaches my court, she will be mistaken.”

“Sister,” Luna started carefully, “your disdain for her is exceptionally high. If you wish for her to not participate in Equestrian politics, simply be direct in telling her so. She already seeks to avoid confrontation with you. She’ll listen if you tell her to avoid such activities.”

Celestia wanted to. Oh, how she wanted to tell that filly to stay seated and be silent and not utter another word to anypony else. It drove the alicorn up the wall how much she disliked Asher’s interference in her plans, and could say she hated that deity she talked about if it turned out such a creature was real.

However, the princess kept those thoughts to herself, replying, “I have no issues. In fact, I would consider it a good thing. Any of my little ponies who seek to better the world around them shall not be hindered by me.”

“If you say so,” Luna replied, yawning and heading out of the room. “We shall take your word for it, as hard as it is to believe.”

PreviousChapters Next