• Published 7th Apr 2019
  • 2,553 Views, 136 Comments

Old Mare Luna - Leondude



In an alternate universe where the villains won, Luna is busy living a quiet life in a land far away from Equestria. But one day an old friend shows up to ask a favor of her.

  • ...
13
 136
 2,553

Chapter 25 - Epilogue

One month had passed since the death of Luna's family. One month since the passing of Discord. The sky was a light purple with hints of cream. Luna, now freed of her dark side once more, knelt down at the graves of Discord and her family. Settler, Sunburst and the rest of the resistance was there with Luna. The graves were covered in tulips and had pictures of the deceased placed on them. There were also things placed on the graves that represented what the departed loved doing while they were alive.

"Sorry about your family, Luna," Settler said, "They were good ponies, weren't they?"

"The best," Luna replied.

"Yeah. And Discord was good too. Who would have thought a creature of pure chaos would become such good friendship material?"

"Indeed. It was I who convinced Celestia that Discord deserved a second chance," Luna said.

"Really?"


It was many centuries ago. Luna observed the statue of the recently petrified draconequus. His face was no longer the overconfident tyrant she and Celestia fought prior to his escape but was instead one of an individual who didn't want to go back to being imprisoned. Luna knew what it was like to be alone. She knew what it was like to be imprisoned. She wondered if Discord thought the ponies of Equestria didn't appreciate his brand of chaos the same way they didn't appreciate her night. Then again, chocolate rain isn't really considered healthy and some of Discord's games did leave psychological scars on the ponies back then. But, with the benefit of hindsight, perhaps Discord wasn't trying to be malicious. Perhaps he just wanted to play a game. In many ways, he was like a child that didn't know what he was doing was wrong. Nopony knew where he came from so it wouldn't be out of the question to say he had an alien sense of morality. She saw Celestia flying next to her.

"If you're wondering why Discord looks different, it's because he was freed from his imprisonment and I tasked Twilight Sparkle and her friends with stopping him. If it weren't for her friendship letters to me, I was worried he would have won."

"Well, you always did know how to keep Equestria safe, sister."

Both Luna and Celestia stared at the statue.

"May I ask you something, sister?" Luna asked.

"You may."

"Do you think Discord's magic could be used for good?"

Celestia gave Luna a puzzled look.

"Think of it this way. Your protege and her friends freed me from my own darkness and helped me integrate myself back into Equestrian society. Perhaps they could do the same for Discord."

"Even though he ruled Equestria in a state of unrest and unhappiness?" Celestia asked.

"Yes. But I tried to plunge Equestria into eternal night. After all, his brand of chaos is merely cotton candy clouds, chocolate rain and headache-inducing patterns and placements. I have seen worse from within the dream realm, especially from my own nightmares."

Celestia pondered at what Luna said.

"Twilight did tell me of how Cerberus was distracted from his duties guarding Tartarus," Celestia stated, "Seeing as how there had been frequent monster attacks as of late, I suppose we could use the extra help in capturing them. Especially in regards to an old acquaintance of his."

"Lord Tirek?"

"Precisely, if he took the opportunity to escape."

Celestia trotted back towards the castle.

"Before I have Twilight and her friends free him, I need to cast an enchantment on the element so he will not steal them again. Let us hope they succeed in this task I will give them."

"The one known as Fluttershy seems kind enough," Luna said, "Perhaps she would have better luck in believing the good in Discord than the others would."

"I certainly hope so, sister."


"Wow. Now I'm surprised he didn't mention you before in conversation. Oh well, at least he is now reunited with Fluttershy."

"I was surprised at how quickly they became friends, considering how she was scared of me the first time we met."

Luna and Settler sighed in unison.

"So, what are you going to do now?" Settler asked.

"Simple. I shall take Equestria back from the corrupt, piece by piece, and give it back to the ponies and other races that inhabit this once beautiful land."

"Well, you and Flurry Heart could always join us." Settler pointed towards the other resistance members, who were still bowing their heads down in mourning.

"I would but I'm afraid I must travel my own path. Besides..." Luna looked at the tombs of her family with sadness in her heart. "I already lost one family as it is."

Luna saddled Flurry Heart onto her back and prepared herself for the perilous journey ahead.

"Do you really think you'll succeed in taking down all the other rulers?" Adagio asked, "I know I'm a part of a resistance trying to bring law and order back to Equestria but, given how Chrysalis and 'Grogar' are dead, how do you suppose you'll take down any budding warlords who wish to take advantage of the power vacuum you and Discord made?"

"I suppose it is worth a try. I was once a princess. It would make sense for me to fight for the land I once ruled. I don't see any other options left for me." Luna lifted up Flurry Heart as Flurry giggled happily. "Besides, I have a little partner of my own so I know that I won't be going on this quest alone. After she and I take back Equestria, hopefully, she will be a much more benevolent ruler in the future."

Luna placed Flurry Heart back on her back and trotted off into the sunset. She knew this was no longer a world of fairy tales filled with magical charms and romance. She knew that a happy ending was barely possible at this point and that her opponents will have no problem killing her. But if Chrysalis and Tirek failed to kill her, what are the chances of whatever new foes that come her way to succeed? After all, she kept her head down long enough. She bore witness to the horrid events and abominations this life had to offer. It was about time she made it right. She knew she may struggle with her inner urges from time to time but, with Flurry Heart at her side, she knew she wouldn't be a slave to them for long. Even though she was an immortal alicorn that had lived for centuries...

She felt like a new mare.

Author's Note:

My magnum opus. Finally completed.

Heh. Feels so weird knowing this story is now finished, considering it is my longest story to date and that it was the first story I did after the first three Captain Goodking stories. It's also the story where my writing had improved significantly, allowing me to work on other dark stories like Prisoner of Fate and A Cozy Tale. Not only that but my more comedic stories (with the possible exception of Red and Purple) feel like a marked improvement from when I started out. But hey, all good things must come to an end.

Comments ( 11 )

So i know this is your magnum opus

But why didnt discord just snap his fingers

10099205

But why didnt discord just snap his fingers

At what part?

10099208
Any part, really, once it was established he never lost his power

10099210
i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/391/129/4e3.jpg

Well, there was that bit with Discord getting shot up with those magic-seeping crystals but, other than that...:twilightblush:

10099220
Dont mind me, im just really cynical and pick apart stories in real time as im reading, i know you need to do some things to have a story

10099629
Not to my knowledge, no. The other Bane quotes I slipped into the story were the narration for chapter 20, where it described how there were many forms of magic in the human world, such as the "theatricality and deception" of stage magic, and chapter 22's title being a reference to this scene:

Heyo! I'm from the My Little Reviews and Feedback group -- have a review!

Hi there! My name is CaptainPinkiePie and I made this TvTropes page just for you:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/OldMareLuna

10260703
Cool. Though I noticed some of the YMMV tropes are a bit negative.

I'm not saying you're not allowed to have your own opinion but I do have to wonder if you liked the story or not.

10260719
Don't worry, I liked it. Sure, it had flaws (as was detailed in the review) but I enjoyed the interactions between Luna and Discord and there was so much violence! Kinda surprised you didn't rate it M.

10260726
Didn't think it was violent enough for an M rating. That and there are usually other reasons for a story rated M, none of which this one has.

Login or register to comment