• Published 7th Apr 2019
  • 2,553 Views, 136 Comments

Old Mare Luna - Leondude



In an alternate universe where the villains won, Luna is busy living a quiet life in a land far away from Equestria. But one day an old friend shows up to ask a favor of her.

  • ...
13
 136
 2,553

Chapter 20 - Let's Find The Magic

Sunburst looked at his new form in a mirror. While there were changes to his physical features, such as losing his horn but having a shorter face and longer limbs followed by weird sausage appendages of varying sizes, his clothes were the most notable change. Instead of the starry cape he was fond of wearing, he is instead wearing a hoodie with the same colours and patterns of his cape. He was also wearing a pair of saggy trousers that were light grey in colour.

"Was I wearing these clothes when I entered this world or did I arrive naked?" Sunburst asked Sunset.

"You arrived with them on," Sunset replied, "You can change into something different if you like."

"Interesting. A portal to another world that not only adapts your body to match the environment but also changes your clothing and even automatically gives you clothes when you're not wearing any."

Sunburst then tried to lift up his hoodie. After a few clumsy attempts, he found a little hole in the centre of his abdomen and a very nasty scratch above it.

"Huh. You would think being stabbed by a big crystal would have left a bigger scar," Sunburst said while pointing at his belly hole.

"Uh...Sunburst? That's your belly button," Sunset replied, "This is where the crystal scarred you."

Sunset pointed towards the scar above Sunburst's belly button.

"Oh. Yeah, that makes more sense."

Sunburst tried to walk out of the room only to fall flat on his face. Sunset quickly helped Sunburst up.

"I had the same problem when I first came into this world too."

"Well, I got two and a half years, give or take, to learn how to walk on two hoo-I mean feet. I think I might learn how to walk like you in no time."


Two centuries and fifty years have passed since Sunset rescued Sunburst. Two centuries and fifty years since Sombra's conquest of Equestria and eventual usurpation by Grogar. Many have tried and failed to end Grogar's reign of terror, as well as those of his flunkies. The ponies of Equestria saw mares of steel die and dark knights fall.

Grogar admired his new collection of statues within the Canterlot gardens. One of the latest in his collection was one of the Pillars of old, Rockhoof, charging into battle. But in his new state, he will not be going anywhere any time soon. And right next to Rockhoof was Princess Skystar of Seaquestria, petrified at the sight of her mother's death. Grogar ought to know since he was the one that killed her mother, Queen Novo. Grogar pondered if he should have Discord petrified and added to his collection.

It's not like it didn't happen to him before Grogar thought to himself If he will not join me, then he can join them.

Grogar trotted away back into his castle while letting out a small sinister chuckle.


Sunburst had been gathering all the knowledge he could get on the knowledge of the world he was in. He was surprised that, in spite of this world's apparent magic-less state, there were many forms of magic in this world. The most popular of which was the theatricality and deception of stage magic, something he's familiar with due to Trixie being particularly skilled in that area. But tricks are only going to get him so far so he dug deeper. There was demonology, witchcraft, even Tarot cards that can be used to predict the future. Absorbed in all this information on the magic of this world, Sunburst had nearly forgotten that thirty moons have passed.

"Time flies when you study all the magic this world has to offer," Sunburst said while looking at the clock in his room.

Sunburst quickly ran outside towards the horse statue that, according to Sunset, contained the portal to Equestria. Sunburst touched the bottom of the statue, causing it to ripple. Knowing the time was right, Sunburst took no chances and jumped right into the portal.


When Sunburst woke up, he was in a very dark jungle. He considered it odd since Sunset said he would wake up in the room where the Crystal Mirror was kept. He instinctively lit up his horn and looked at where his human hands used to be and, to his delight, they have turned back into hooves. He became even more happy when he realized he got his cape back.
He traversed his way out of the jungle. When he made his way out, he saw in the distance how much has changed in his absence. Ponyville is covered in crystals and overgrown brambles, the sky is a dark crimson, and in the distance within the mountains appeared to be a giant broken-down police box surrounded by hundreds of tombstones. He knew Sombra's rule would be a dark time but he never imagined the scale of death and despair that he saw before him. If nopony else alive or willing to stop this threat, then we would have to use the magic he learned in the human world as well as recruit any survivors of this terrible regime in order to put an end to it.

How hard can it be? Sunburst thought to himself Starlight used to go on adventures with Twilight and her friends all the time.

Sunburst pondered at that last thought, for it felt inaccurate.

Okay, maybe not all the time but it's best not to think about what she did before she met Twilight and tried to end all of time. After all, she made up for it by saving everypony from the changelings.

Sunburst winced at when Starlight told him about her dark past. He would rather keep a positive memory of his fallen friend than imagine what she did simply because destiny had different plans for them. Then he remembered the last time he saw Starlight. It was a painful memory that he knew he wouldn't forget, with the last words she said to him echoing in his head.

"Just give up."

Author's Note:

(one swear-filled tirade at my editor for missing the deadline again later)

:twilightblush:

On the bright side, at least the chapter looks good even without any editing.

EDIT: Nevermind. Turns out he was ill.

(one retraction of the swear-filled tirade later)

Right then, let's pretend that didn't happen. :twilightsmile: