• Published 7th Apr 2019
  • 2,546 Views, 136 Comments

Old Mare Luna - Leondude



In an alternate universe where the villains won, Luna is busy living a quiet life in a land far away from Equestria. But one day an old friend shows up to ask a favor of her.

  • ...
13
 136
 2,546

Chapter 1 - After the beginning of the end

Nopony knows what happened the day the elements fell. All anypony knows is that they disappeared and evil triumphed and the bad guys have been calling the shots ever since. Not even the princesses survived their attack. There were rumours that one survived but what happened to that one was the biggest mystery of all. Some say they hurt that princess like never before, sparing her because they broke her so badly she might as well be dead. Others say she just grew tired of defending everypony from their nightmares, whether they be dreams or real monsters, and retired to a simpler life. Either way, nopony has seen her since and she hasn't even used the traditional Canterlot voice in a long time. Tartarus, she hasn't even flown in a long time either, always wearing a cloak that covers up her wings.

Somewhere, in a land far away from Equestria but still owned by one of the villains, a dark blue alicorn trotted back to her home in the middle of the desert land. The home looked like a very rustic place, a far cry from the castles that the alicorn princesses once inhabited. On her way home, she had flashbacks to the last time she defended Equestria. Memories of her kneeling down in despair, caked in blood. However, a young regal voice snapped her out of those memories.

"Mother?"

The alicorn looked to her son, a young alicorn colt wearing a cap and a jacket to hide his wings, pointing to a broken down piece of machinery. The colt had a dark blue mane and coat that he inherited from her and bright green eyes that he inherited from his father.

"The rock harvester broke down again. I tried to fix it up but it appears we are going to need a new motor."

"Hmm, unless we come across some lucky charms that magically fix the old one, I'm afraid that the chances of getting a new motor are slim."

"So, what do you suggest we do?"

"Heavy-lifting, Gail."

The mother alicorn rested on a fence, looking at all the rocks she and her family managed to harvest. A unicorn stallion with a blonde mane, green eyes, and a white coat walked out of the house and near his wife. He also had his daughter, a young alicorn filly with the same white coat and blonde mane as her father but the same beautiful blue eyes of her mother. Like her sibling and mother, she was also covering up her wings, this time using an adorable little dress.

"I'm afraid Abraham wouldn't even give me twenty bits for the boulders," the alicorn mother said, "I told him they were clean but he wasn't willing to take any chances after last time."

"I wouldn't blame him," the stallion said "How much did he lose? Five-hundred."

The mother sighed while her unicorn husband walked up to her and rested his arm on her shoulder.

"What are we going to do, Luna?"

"I'll think of something."


It eventually became suppertime and everypony gathered at the dining table to gorge on the father's hayloaf. The dining room looked decrepit, with cracked windows, rotting wooden cabinets and broken toasters and microwaves.

"You know," the unicorn said "A friend of mine is willing to give us thirty-five bits for the BrayStation 4. Forty more if we throw in that life-long battery."

"We are not selling the children's electronics, Morning March."

"It was just an idea, sweetheart. After all, rent's due in two days and we got nothing else to give Tirek that is worth anything."

"We don't mind, mother" Gail spoke up "We barely got time to play on the BrayStation anyway."

"Even if that were the case, I'd rather not. None of us have even finished playing Brayman Legends yet."

After that little discussion, everypony continued eating their supper, with the alicorn filly pulling out her GameColt Advance after she was done. The topic of Brayman Legends also brought a question into the filly's mind.

"May I ask you something, mother?" she said in a voice that sounds like a higher-pitched version of her own mother's voice. "Is it true that you used to be a princess that saved the day? Thought I might ask because Sweet Buck told me."

Morning March looked at Luna, worried that their daughter might have brought up some bad memories. Thankfully, Luna answered her calmly.

"Well, we didn't always save the day. Or at least I didn't. I was a princess but the real ponies that saved the day were a group that wielded the Elements of Harmony."

"What are those?"

"Magical artefacts that, once wielded by a pony or a group of ponies that possess loyalty, honesty, kindness, generosity, along with the ability to bring laughter and use magic, can be used to defeat whatever evil force opposes them."

Luna then solemnly looked to the floor. While she remembers the time Celestia and she used to use the elements on foes of their time like Discord, she also remembers the time she spent a millennium on the moon as a result of her own jealousy and her sister being forced to use the elements against her. She then teared up a bit, excusing herself before walking outside for some fresh air and to look at the sun, or what she can see of it since there is nopony to move it and she hasn't moved the moon in centuries. Morning March then followed pursuit.


It was evening and both Luna and Morning March were staring out into whatever sunlight they can see from all the dark clouds the villains and their cronies use because they did not know how the weather worked. While there are drying tears on Luna's face, she was feeling slightly better.

"You understand that Jade didn't mean you any harm, Luna."

"I know. It's just that it brings up some bad memories. She looks up to me and yet I have not even told her about my time as Nightmare Moon and the resulting punishment!"

"These things take time, Luna. I'm sure you'll tell her eventually."

"It's not that! We're also behind rent! Do you have any idea what Tirek would do to us if we don't pay him in time?!"

"I would suggest you and the kids take him on but I've heard he's grown to the size of a mountain. Oh well, we can only hope. Besides, this is our first time in thirty years that we've missed paying him."

"It doesn't matter to him! He can't look weak in front of Chrysalis and Grogar, so he has to punish us for it!"

"Just tell him we'll pay him double."

"Considering how he really wants our magic and is using us as an ace in the hole should he ever try to betray Grogar, I don't think he would even care about how much we pay him."

Author's Note:

If you came here for the action, I'm afraid you're going to have to wait. I'd give it until the next chapter until you lot get to see some violence.

Also, fun fact, you know this line here:

All anypony knows is that they disappeared and evil triumphed and the bad guys have been calling the shots ever since.

There was a typo that, instead of "shots", said "shits". I would have left it in but there's only so much levity you could bring to a serious story until it loses it's seriousness entirely. Also, having it in the second sentence would kill the mood entirely the same way Venom saying "like a turd in the wind" in the trailers for his movie killed the horror movie vibe the trailers were originally going for.