• Published 7th Apr 2019
  • 2,542 Views, 136 Comments

Old Mare Luna - Leondude



In an alternate universe where the villains won, Luna is busy living a quiet life in a land far away from Equestria. But one day an old friend shows up to ask a favor of her.

  • ...
13
 136
 2,542

Chapter 3 - An unexpected journey

The next morning, Luna was getting prepared for her trip with Discord. She put on her cloak and walked out of the door of her house, with Morning March and the foals quickly following suit to give Luna one quick goodbye.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Lulu?" March said in a concerned tone "The Badlands are hardly nice and that is not even getting into what sort of ruffians you might come across!"

"Do not worry, March. It will only be a couple of weeks, and I will return with enough bits to keep Tirek off of us for a long time."

Luna then rested one of her forelegs on Gail's shoulder.

"Gail, I want you to look after your father and sister in my absence. Moreover, Jade, I want you to promise me you will behave."

"I promise," Jade said.

Luna and Jade then quickly embraced one another, with a single tear rolling down one of Jade's eyes. After that, she walked toward Discord, who was wearing a backpack on his back and was tapping his hoof impatiently, and got into a position for Discord to mount himself on her.

"Took you long enough," Discord said "I was starting to get a cramp. Alternatively, was that was a result of my long travel to your house? Anyway, allons-y!".

Discord then jumped onto Luna and quickly pulled out a submarine sandwich from his backpack like it was a sword, pointing it to the sky triumphantly. However, before they could head off, Morning March ran towards them in a hurry.

"Before you...go, darling," Morning March said, panting as he did so "May I...have a word...with your...friend?"

Discord then hopped off of Luna and followed Morning March back into the house, with March closing the door behind him.

"I know you do not know me that well" Morning March started nervously "But I want you to do something for me."

"And what might that be?"

"Promise me you will keep my Lulu safe. The children and I love her with all our hearts, and I dread the thought of her being in danger...or worse."

"Oh do not worry, I am sure Luna can take care of herself."

"Please promise me she will be safe!"

Discord smiled. Morning March's concern for Luna and his dedication to her safety reminded him of the same feelings he has for Fluttershy. Knowing this, he decided to make sure that Morning March would never have to go through the same pain he went through.

"I promise," Discord said as he rested one of his arms on March's shoulder.

They then walked out the door with Discord hopping back onto Luna, once again unsheathing his submarine sandwich.

"Now, where was I? Oh yes. Ride like the wind!"

Luna turned her head towards Discord and looked at him.

"You do know where we are going, right?"

"Oh, of course. Here is this map of Equestria that I was so fortunate enough to grab on the way here. Be careful with it; I only have the one."

Discord then pulled out a map from his backpack and handed it over to Luna, who telekinetically pulled it towards her face. The map was separated into territories, with the unknown lands, Trottingham, the Griffish Isles, and Griffonstone all belonging to Tirek, the Dragon Lands, the Forbidden Jungle, the Haysead Swamps, the McIntosh Hills and the Mysterious South all belonging to Chrysalis, Los Pegasus.

Appleloosa, Ponyville, Baltimare, and Fillydelphia all belonging to Cozy Glow, and the Crystal Empire, Canterlot, Cloudsdale, and Yakyakistan all belonging to King Sombra. Alternatively, all of Sombra's territory did belong to him before he decided to challenge Grogar's authority. He took a gamble and painfully lost, which resulted in Grogar taking over his territory. On the map was a blue line that started with the unknown lands, the starting point having a blue arrow and text saying "We are here", and going through the train tracks of Griffonstone Station all the way to the Badlands, with an arrow pointing to the Badlands and text saying "We need to be over here," all of which is blue. While it may look like an easy trip to Griffonstone Station, the fact is, only Tirek knows that Luna is alive, and that means that there is a good chance he would tell Cozy Glow and Chrysalis about it. Once they know about it, there would be no place where she is safe and no telling what could happen next.

After Grogar took care of Sombra, he used his magic to alter the helmets of Sombra's forces to make them obey whoever is in charge of their territory, along with teaching them the spell Sombra used to manifest those helmets in the first place.

As Luna and Discord travelled to their destination, everything suddenly became darker, as if it was night-time. Discord fell asleep during the travel, with Luna having to prop him up with her magic as well as using her magic to look at the map. They made it to what appeared to be a city filled with old huts with roofs made of burnt straw. Luna moved the map from her face and noticed there were dozens of charred griffon corpses, with one right next to her. This made her jump to her left in fright, with Discord falling off of her and waking up in surprise. While Luna was disturbed by what she had just seen, Discord was still a bit groggy and has yet to notice where they are. He then picked up the map that Luna had dropped on the floor.

"Odd" Discord said, "I thought we would have reached Griffonstone by now."

"Discord, we are in Griffonstone!"

Discord moved the map down and noticed dozens of scorched griffons.

"Oh."

"Who could have done this?"

Discord then heard a menacing noise that sounded like growling and gurgling and turned to see where it was coming from. Moreover, what he saw was a barely humanoid creature made entirely out of molten lava oozing from the ground.

"Lava Demons" Discord said.

"What?" Luna said, turning to Discord.

"A race made by Grogar using nothing but lava. They were eventually sealed away by the dragons with some help from the ice orgs. However, since Chrysalis needed some help in ruling the Dragon Lands, Tirek took all the dragons' magic and, with nothing to keep them imprisoned, they slaughtered all of the dragons and moved onto Griffonstone. There were rumours that Grogar created them to thin out Equestria's population should they prove to be too much. Although interestingly, they have a leader of their own named Lavan and, like Sombra before him, he also wishes to have all of Equestria for himself."

"Of course he does," Luna said, rolling her eyes.

Luna and Discord then slowly walked away from the lava demon and started walking around the abandoned buildings of Griffonstone, hoping to find any survivors that will help them out. Unfortunately, more lava demons showed up and proceeded to pummel both of them. Discord then quickly passed his backpack to Luna, hoping she would use her magic to protect it. Noticing this, the lava demons pounced on Luna with one of them getting up to kick her back down should she ever try to get up again.

"What is the matter, my little pony?" the lava demon said in a guttural tone "Are you gonna fight back?"

"You may do as you wish, foul demon, but I refuse to strike back!"

"Well, that is stupid!"

The lava demon knocked Luna out with a punch to the face, which resulted in her dropping Discord's backpack. The punch also burned Luna's face, leaving a patch of scorching flesh on her right eye and cheek.

"Try not to burn the stuff!" The lava demon ordered his comrades.

They carefully opened the backpack up and noticed it was filled with vials of a glowing purple liquid.

"What do you think they are?" One lava demon asked

"They are potions!" The lead lava demon announced, "I heard that someone has been making potions that can give ponies the power of four alicorns and two draconequi!"

"Ooh! That would certainly please Master Lavan!" another lava demon said.

The lead lava demon nodded contently. " Yes, I think he will be quite pleased with what we found here today.

But before any of them could make a move, a wave of water splashed over them, and they steamed and wailed in agony as they turned to stone. The last one to turn looked at where the source of water came from and noticed Discord panting while standing next to a big metal tub that had been turned over.

"Has...anyone...ever...told...you...guys...you...need...a bath?"

Discord himself then collapsed to the ground. When he woke up, he was facing Luna, who was checking to see if he was all right. Discord noticed that Luna's eye was still swollen from where the lava demon had punched her.

"Are you okay?" Luna asked.

"I should ask you the same question!"

"What do you mean?"

"I told you how important this package is and even thrown it to you so it doesn't get in the wrong hands or hooves and you just stood there and let those Lava Demons beat you up and take it?! You know, I was willing to let that moment with Tirek's goons slide because your rent was late and Tirek didn't want to look weak in front of the other villains, but come on! While you were standing there getting your flank kicked, I took them out with a bucking bathtub! What happened to the brave mare that protected ponies from their nightmares?! What did they do to you, Luna?"

Luna closed her eyes and bowed her head in shame, having flashbacks of when she was taking on Sombra, Chrysalis and their minions.

"They...broke me."

Author's Note:

It's been five hundred years since the heroes fell. Five hundred years since the villains carved up Equestria amongst themselves, creating a lawless empire. Nopony quite knows what happened on that day, the day that evil won, leaving only memories of the age of heroes.

One pony doesn't want to remember. Luna, once known as the princess of the night, hasn't taken up what was meant to be her royal duties in a long time...and nopony knows why. Taking root in a faraway land, Luna is content with raising a family. But there's no such thing as the simple life anymore. Luna's peaceful world is threatened by Tirek and his goons - and they want their rent money...money the poor alicorn rock farmer doesn't have.

Discord, the former spirit of chaos and disharmony, calls on his old friend. Discord is crossing the lands, bound for the Badlands, with precious cargo, and he needs somepony to travel with. But Discord doesn't want the pacifist Luna has become...he wants the mare that battled nightmares and turned him into stone with her sister at her side. Luna can't afford to turn down the offer, but can she afford to face her past?

Special thanks to Darkiplier1383 for helping me out on this story. Also, special thanks to The Force and DmitriTheWriter for editing this chapter.