• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,755 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,755

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 62

Unfortunately for Twilight, she wouldn’t be waking in the medical bay with every problem in her world already resolved.

Twilight takes five points of lethal psychic damage.

Her whole body felt like it was on fire, her head most of all. But there were shouting voices in her ear, the voices of her crew. “Ugh… what?” she sat up, shaking her head once and trying to make her eyes focus on them.

Has Twilight received the gift of INSIפH┴? Critical yes.

She’s burning her fur is melted oh Celestia what are we supposed to do she could be dying we’ll never get to Equestria again Applejack is panicking the whole crew is falling apart I should’ve taken her off the chair.

It was a little like the worst hangover headache Twilight had ever felt, reverberating through her whole body. It was too bright, Rainbow’s voice too loud, and her own thoughts almost silent by comparison. “I’m up!” She finally saw them—Rainbow and Node standing just in front of her, watching her with panic on their eyes.

But while Rainbow’s mouth remained closed, Twilight could still hear her. How is she moving after all that she should be in the hospital maybe I should call Fluttershy—

“You aren’t going to call Fluttershy,” Twilight interrupted, rising to her hooves. She could smell burning from around her head. A little twitch of her head showed her what that was—her whole mane had been charred down to something shorter than the most daring stunt fliers would’ve worn. Nothing for it now. “You’re going to tell me what the emergency is. Applejack, you mentioned her. Did something go wrong with Apple Bloom?”

“I… d-didn’t,” Rainbow squeaked, her confidence melting away. She’s listening to me right now she can hear my thoughts I thought mind magic was forbidden why would she break that rule now I thought Twilight cared about those

She was so loud! Twilight clutched her head with both hooves, whimpering in pain. But her legs did nothing to drown out the sound. “You didn’t,” Twilight agreed, gritting her teeth against the pain and forcing herself to stand straight again. “Tell me what happened.”

“Applejack… wanted us as soon as possible. Some kinda… complication. Magic Rarity couldn’t handle.”

“Okay,” Twilight turned on them both, hurrying away. Maybe if she couldn’t get Rainbow to quiet down, she could get away from her. “I’m going. Grab the tools. Node, keep up.”

Rainbow’s voice continued to pound in her head as she hurried back down the sloping ramp, fumbling at her chest for the radio. She lifted it in her magic. “This is Twilight. I’m on my way. What’s the problem?”

There was barely half a second delay, like Applejack had been waiting beside the radio for exactly this moment. “Twilight! Thank Celestia. There’s, uh… there’s some kinda magic on her. We got her out a stasis, and she dropped like a rock! Her leg, it’s… it’s doin’ something. I don’t know what. Rarity’s slowin’ it down best we can, but she’s running out of juice! Please, get here!”

“Right.” Twilight stopped walking, so suddenly that Rainbow smacked into her from behind. “You two, get to the preservation room as soon as you can. Node can show you the way, Rainbow.” She concentrated on a teleport—it was somewhere she’d been before, so nothing she couldn’t handle.

Twilight vanished from normal space, and this time… she was somewhere else. Instead of empty nothingness, Twilight floated through space. Stars surrounded her, their thousand-thousand eyes all watching. And behind them…

Can Twilight resist?

“It hungers,” Twilight whispered, her eyes losing focus. Something was seeing her, its eyes penetrating every memory and thought. Every inspection she’d ever presented before Celestia, but a thousand times more invasive.

Your pain will end, said the voice. Give your worry, your fear. Know hunger.


I̠̎́͆t̹̮̐ͅ ͇͓͎̤̬͔͑̇̈́͋͟h͇̺̎͆́̊̓ͥu̫̪̩͋̓̎ͤͮn͙̱͇̖̺͒̍̇ͨ̎̂̚g̖̼͇̩̻͂̄ͬ̂̈́ē̾̇ͪ̒r̟̰̈ͫͬ̒͛͘s̬͚͔̦̭̜ͥ̑̓̽͜,” Twilight said into the abyss.

Twilight takes three points of bashing psychic damage

Then there was a crash, and she returned to normal space. Air rushed around her, and she nearly fell over completely, her legs wobbling under her. She blinked, shaking her head once. She was in the Signaler laboratory.

Panicked voices screamed in her head all over again, and she nearly dropped to the ground from the agony right there. But she resisted. Whatever strange feeling had taken her in the teleport was gone, replaced with an overwhelming fear. I can’t go back in there. It’s waiting for me.

But that was a problem for another time. For now, she could see the results of reviving Apple Bloom.

She’d been spread on a stretcher, and all Fluttershy’s makeshift medical equipment was here. Closed and unused containers of the cryo-revitalization and anti-necrosis drugs sat on one side. Every scanner and instrument was pointed at Apple Bloom’s leg. The metal fibers were growing. What was left of her leg already looked necrotic.

Rarity stood at the head of the bed, aiming her horn at Apple Bloom and blasting her with a spell. Instead of screaming, Twilight could hear only focus from her, the runes of the ‘slow’ spell over and over in a songlike rhythm.

But from Applejack there was pure panic. We need to amputate this is all my fault she’s dying right in front of me what would granny think I won’t be able to live with myself sis I’m doing everything I can please hold on—

If this kept up much longer, it was Twilight who was going to lose her mind.

“What do you need from me?” She said, mostly to Fluttershy. “You understand what’s going on?”

“Not a clue,” Fluttershy said, her voice desperate and her ears flat. “This… growth… it’s clearly eating her. But it’s also working symbiotically with her. It’s avoiding vital organs. It could’ve killed her already if it wanted to.” She turned the scanner around for Twilight to see the screen. “It’s eating towards her brain.” Her eyes settled on Twilight’s burned head, but she kept whatever questions she might be thinking quiet for now. Except Twilight heard them anyway. What in Celestia’s name did she think she was doing having us do these two missions at once? She needs a doctor almost as bad as Apple Bloom.

“There are… some really advanced spells you could pull off,” Applejack muttered, her voice pure desperation. “A teleport that would move… just my sis, not any of this infection. I’ve heard it can treat cancer!”

“Uh…” Twilight shuddered, remembering her own recent teleport. It was true, advanced medical magic could do that. “I’m not trained for…” But this was some kind of metallic growth, it would probably be easier to target.

She needed to choose, and fast.

1. Teleport the metallic infection out. I’m not so sure that’s a good idea, captain. We have no idea what the complications could be. Whatever this is, I think Apple Bloom’s best chance is to let it run its course. She might just start bleeding to death as soon as you remove it.

2. Let the infection run its course. Even Apple Bloom’s voice was there, whispering quietly into the room. Don’t kill me, please. You need to know.

3. Put Apple Bloom back in stasis. This is it, Cap. If she goes in there, I’m going with. You can get me back when you do the right thing for my sis. [Applejack joins her sister in the alien stasis device]

(Certainty 220 required)

Author's Note:

This entry's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/17548059

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next