• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,744 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,744

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28

Balanced Production 85%

Twilight almost never visited Hydroponics. But now that she wandered between the rows of identical racks, surrounded by the first green and growing things she’d seen in months, she wished she’d come back more often. The system was mostly automated, with carefully measured spurts of water and precise modulation of the lights from the grow lamps.

Per her instructions, half of the trays were filled only with a reddish green slurry, a paste that looked nothing at all like food and wouldn’t taste much like it either once they processed it. But the smell was alright—like loamy ground, or a fish tank that had been established for a long time. It was a living smell that didn’t resemble a barn, and just now Twilight would welcome even that.

The room was round, with a dozen rectangular trays around the length of the circle, each stacked four layers deep. When the Equinox was fully operating, this chamber was meant to exactly keep up with the food demands of a crew of seven. But now that they needed Geneseed, that conversion was more of an emergency measure.

AS she watched, the grow-arm rotated along to the next stack of trays, and each was carefully sprayed. The “Geneseed” trays actually had roots visible in the dark section under each tray, and that was where the sprayer focused. The tubular bodies tucked underneath looked to be fat and swollen now, just about as full as their crop would get. I get to choose one more crewmember. Who do I want when we arrive? It was something to think about. There would still be the two that didn’t come, the resources she would have to wait months more to acquire.

Unless something else terrible happens in the meantime. Did Cozy have any redundant sabotage we haven’t found yet? It might keep her up at night, like the true meaning of the message. But they’d searched as much as they could. Twilight took a few minutes every week or so to visit cryogenics, just to make sure Cozy’s casket was still filled.

“Twilight!” came a voice from down the hall, Spike’s, overflowing with panic. “Twilight, you need to see this!” He’d already run past hydroponics, probably on his way to the central computer.

Twilight passed through the plastic moisture-guard, then through to the hallway on the other end. “Spike,” she called, not nearly as loud as he was. But he should still hear. “Spike, what’s up? I don’t hear any alarms.”

Spike skidded to a stop, his claws sparking on the deck-plating. He caught himself against a rail, then spun. “Twilight? You’re farming?”

“No,” she stepped all the way through the screen, letting the airlock seal behind her. “I was just… enjoying something green for a bit. I don’t hear any alarms, what’s the issue?”

“There wouldn’t be, no,” Spike said, jogging back towards her, then past her to the lift. “Come on, you have to see for yourself.”

She wasn’t surprised to see him mash the button for central fabrication, and they were moving “down” again. “You could tell me what it is you’re taking me to see, Spike.”

“It’s working,” he said. “The new fabricator.”

Well, that wasn’t her ship about to explode—but Twilight’s expertise wasn’t needed much these days, beyond a few minutes of navigation each day. If going with Spike would make him feel better, then…

Central fabrication was still largely empty—the Prospector was docked outside, which meant they could use this space to fabricate large projects, if they needed it.

Spike’s little corner had a flimsy plastic wall now, made of the shell they’d made for mining on Harmony’s Repast and a few bits of scrap metal. There was no door, just an opening with strands of plastic hanging down over it.

They passed through to the other side, where Twilight got her first look at the “new fabricator.”

It used the standard fabricator shell, or at least several of them linked together in series. They moved quickly, taking the same thin disks of silicon the earlier stage used, slicing them down into rectangles, and running them through a strange series of liquid baths, flashing lights, and tiny wires.

“That’s so… fast.” She muttered, staring in fascination through the clear plastic shroud on the nearest one. “How is it reading the template crystal so fast?”

“There is no template crystal. It’s all digital.”

“Not possible,” Twilight stated, settling down onto her haunches and pointing at the “stage one” device. There, nestled into the housing, was the length of clear silicon the computer had printed during their time “camping.” It’s right there.” The first stage moved the way she expected to, with the hair fine reader gliding along the surface of the template, carefully reconstructing the pattern for the strange disks that emerged.

“No…” Spike said. “These machines aren’t connected, look.” He walked over to one of the new fabricators, and removed the plastic shell. Inside were dozens of those black rectangles, set into a standard pink breadboard that could’ve come from any spare parts bin. Little LEDs glowed and flashed, labeled in Spike’s tiny scrawl. No crystal, just the warmth of heat radiating out.

“The first machine made these things…” He picked one up off the desk, with its little metal prongs gleaming. “I think one of them might be… and I know this sounds crazy, but… I think each of these might be about as powerful as… the Equinox’s mainframe.”

“It does sound crazy.” Twilight walked along the second fabricator, over to the side where its “output” was piling up in a clear plastic tray, and levitated one of the objects out.

Like the plastic rectangles inside the machine, only these were still mostly clear. Lots of tiny lines crisscrossed inside, and instead of fifty or so metal pins, these were covered with a grid of coppery lines, thin wires. “So your theory is—this little fabricator is smarter than our whole ship. And it makes… these little things. What do we do, glue them together into another fabricator?”

“No,” Spike said, folding his arms. “But we do put them together in a machine. And… I don’t know what it does yet. It needs another thousand or so of those.” He lifted something off his workbench—a thin sheet of circuit board, this one obviously newly printed. But semitransparent rectangles covered most of its surface. “Like this.”

Now I see why Applejack didn’t want you using our spare parts. “Just…” she turned, backing slowly out of his corner of fabrication. “Don’t steal parts for this project. It’s interesting, but… I’m not giving up anything for it.”

She had more important things to worry about just now. Spike’s impossible claims about alien computers aside, it was about time she settle on her final crew-member.

- Rainbow Dash (Climatology, Military)
- Pinkie Pie (Geology, Insight)
- Rarity (Physics, EVA Expert)

(Certainty 170 required)

Author's Note:

And as a bit of a PSA, my story scheduler is finally working. From now on, new chapters will launch at 10:00AM MST. This means that if a chapter hasn't arrived by that time, it won't before the next day. No more need to obsessively refresh.

Hey there ponies! Feel free to use the comments to discuss, but note that I don’t count them for the purposes of what happens next. If you want to make your voice heard, make sure you do it in the poll. This entry’s poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/16923909

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next