• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,761 Views, 4,802 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,802
 7,761

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 110

Send the computer pones. 57%

They watched from the bridge as their digital crew-members crossed the strange bridge of light into the waiting station. It was a strange sight, the three of them walking away without space-suits through the void. Nothing drew them in to be consumed and processed into scraps, or blasted them with lasers.

Twilight could do nothing to intervene, but she could watch from one of Node’s fancy new displays. Because as Spike pointed out. “I’m not actually out there. I’m controlling that body using the Equinox’s upgraded transmission systems. Which also means I’ll lose control of it if I can’t get a signal through.

That made the mission seem understaffed, but it was too late to second guess. Ponies crowded around the full color screen, watching through Spike’s eyes almost as though they were there themselves.

The Signalers’ station was even more impressive on the inside than it was on the outside. There were vast empty cavities inside, populated with machines that moved along cables thicker than the Equinox itself as they performed unknown mechanical tasks. Twilight might not know what it was doing, but she knew the goal. All this was designed to create a highway through space, one that wasn’t running. Or… one stop along the highway, pushing a ship to the next stop.

Things went well enough, with Node leading the way through to a section that was fully pressurized and apparently safe. “We’re going to try and find the control section,” she explained. “That way we can see why the Canterlot is being held, and try to release it.”

Is the control room defended? Critical yes.

Then the view got fuzzy, view shaky and uneven as Spike dodged around a corner and the constant feed of conversation and mechanical noises went out.

“Hold on.” Rainbow jerked upright, pointing at the display. “Spike, what the buck is going on?” Lightning flashed on the screen, and a section of deck-plating ripped right off the wall in front of him, dribbling down in molten globs. “Why is it so fuzzy?”

Spike’s voice sounded strained, not even trying to be neutral like the computer usually was. “Very limited… bandwidth,” he said. “We’ve encountered a defensive system of some kind. Node failed to disarm it, and it’s trying to vaporize us.”

Twilight didn’t want to say anything at all, afraid she might be distracting him. But her fear won out. “Should we shut up so you can concentrate?”

“Unnecessary,” Spike answered. “The one body requires minimal concentration, but it’s penetrated so deep into the station that I’m controlling it at considerable delay. I’ll reallocate spectrum for video when we win.”

Flashes of sound came in over the line, played back like awful recordings. Some of it sounded like their weapons, but more was a kind of rumbling thunder that cracked with every shot and melted whatever it touched. Occasionally a single back and white still would appear on the screen—now Spike poking around the corner, now Node taking a hit and losing one of her arms to the flames.

Finally the gunshots stopped,. And the image buffered back into life.

Spike and the others walking past the wreckage of a robotic drone broken into many pieces, over to a large holographic projection surface, with lots of little squares waiting for input. Node went right to work, muttering to herself. “Got to shut that system down. Obviously we aren’t the first ones onto this station. Some part of the maintenance protocol thinks it’s being boarded. But the whole thing doesn’t, or it would’ve dusted the Equinox before we could approach. Hold on…”

Can Node disable the defense system? Yes.
Random Event: The Attainment of Pleasures.

“I want a report,” Twilight said, gripping the straps of her chair so tight she was shaking. “I see all three of you are still standing. Are you hurt?”

“Node and I,” Spike said. “Nothing serious. Node lost an arm and my exterior shell was partially melted. We have replacement parts aboard.”

“Got it!” Node declared, turning to grin back at Spike with her alien face. Flat and strange and naked, but a smile was a smile. “Defenses are off. Let me see what I can find out about your ship…”

Apple Bloom paced past her, reloading her massive earth-pony shotgun. “I’m out of depleted uranium,” she said, annoyed. “I don’t think I can bring down another one.”

“If the station was really trying to kill us, we wouldn’t be having this conversation,” Node said. Her fingers blurred through the projected space for a few seconds, and she bit her lip. Spike got closer, trying to get a better view of the computer. Twilight couldn’t read any of the text, but Node obviously could.

A few moments later and the projection changed enough that even Twilight could guess what must be going on. A much better image of the Canterlot appeared in light, with lots of red icons all over it.

“Launch history… here! Looks like your ship was trying to use the highway. They… turned it on. But they didn’t have any of the right reflectors. They got pulled in for maintenance, but… your ship looks like someone ripped a mountain into space and called it a ship. The highway didn’t find it in the database, so it didn’t know how to fix it. It phoned home with a service request, and has been holding it ever since.”

She winced. “Looks like… some ponies tried to come over. That’s why the systems were hostile to us. They didn’t know what they were doing, or maybe they were trying to destroy the highway to get it to let them go.”

“Can you do that?” Twilight asked. “Make it release the Canterlot?”

Is that the random event? Yes.

“Yes,” Node answered.

“Should we?” Spike asked, on that side of the screen. “The Canterlot was trying to use the highway. Maybe we should… help retrofit it correctly. Could we do that?”

“I know how to put in a design,” Node said, skeptically. “But that’s not my field. Someone else would have to design that.”

Twilight considered for a moment, then ordered…

1. Release the Canterlot now. We need to see what state it’s in and speak to the ponies aboard.

2. Rarity and I are coming over. Between the two of us and the scans of the Canterlot over there, we should be able to come up with something.

3. Stay there, send a team onto the Equinox from this side. If they have control access, they can stop the prospector from being grabbed.

Author's Note:

This chapter's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18651873

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next