• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,743 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,743

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 82

Attempt Twilight’s Plan. 94%

Spike barely felt any doubt in his mind about what he had to do next. Cozy’s dominion might seem overwhelming, but they weren’t out yet. That pony was so confident they’d been out mastered that she didn’t seem to care to watch them here in medical.

Her loss. I’m going to teach that pony to threaten my friends.

“Are you sure about this?” Fluttershy asked, as he stomped over to the medical waste disposal and started removing screws. Of course none of the spare parts he removed were wearing magnetic greaves, so they just started floating around in the air, a little cloud around him as he worked. “She doesn’t seem like she’ll hurt us if we do what she says. But if you leave… she tries to kill us. Sunset here can’t take any stress. If anything happens in here, she’ll die.”

“You can seal the airlock, like Twilight said,” Spike muttered. He had the plastic shield just about off, exposing the shiny metal tube beyond. His baby self could’ve slid through with room to spare, but now it was going to be tight. Fortunately, the trash went down in sealed cylinders, or else it would have been unspeakably awful in there. “Fluttershy, this is our only chance of ever seeing home again. I won’t let her destroy it.”

“There isn’t much of home left to see,” she muttered. “The ponies we know will all be gone. But… I guess you’re a dragon. You have dragon friends.”

He shrugged. “It isn’t about that. It’s about our mission. Celestia told us to come back, and I promised her I would make sure we did.” He didn’t bother grabbing makeshift weapons from the medical bay—his own claws would be better than anything he could scavenge here.

“Good luck,” Fluttershy began. “Could you, uh… maybe give me a few minutes to start on the airlock before you… get caught?”

“Yeah,” he sat back. “I can help, even. It shouldn’t take long.”

It didn’t, as soon enough he was crawling back into the tube. He flicked off his greaves, and any suggestion of an up or down vanished from in front of him. He crawled forward, squeezing around the tight bend, with a flashlight in one claw. It didn’t look down, or up, just forward.

Does Spike escape? Yes, and without detection.

He moved slowly, using his claws to inch through the tube without bumping too far in any one direction and making noise. Being a dragon certainly didn’t help in that regard, considering he’d be filling the tube with sound if he jostled even a bit to one side or the other.

Twilight was wrong about the furnace—as he got closer, he could see the bright red of the coils, radiating waves of warm air up towards him. I hope you’re right about this being okay for a dragon.

Is it? Yes.

Heat blasted him as he approached, and servo motors tried to grab his capsule as though it had been slung along by the electromagnets. He backed away, waiting for them to give up. He couldn’t let them come anywhere near him, or else they might report a fault that Cozy could notice. I’m getting my ship back.

Spike emerged at the bottom of the Equinox, slicing through the protective shell of the medical waste chute and emerging into a low-level storage room. In flight these sections of the ship weren’t even pressurized. But now it was, though there were only narrow catwalks between huge machines designed to need little-to-no servicing during their mission.

First step, no more computer control. Spike pushed himself through the air rather than re-engage his greaves, which looked to have survived the brief heat treatment much better than the plastic flashlight that had run through his claws like water.

He reached the elevator leading up, claw hesitating over the ‘car call.’ She’s probably got sensors on that.

Does Spike know a way around countermeasure? Yes.

Spike grinned to himself, floating back to the other side of the room and removing the emergency tools from their clip. You’re in my territory now, Cozy. I was keeping this ship running for longer than you’ve been awake and alive. I know it like the back of my claws.

He pushed back to the elevator, fiddling with a loose panel. The elevator in this section of the Equinox wasn’t airtight, since it relied on the deck 4 airlock. That meant with enough force, he could pry the body right up, and climb in.

True, he’d be crushed to death if anypony called the car to the drive section, but he didn’t predict that happening.

Emergency lights flashed in the elevator high above, indicating the compromised status of the Equinox. He ignored them, pushing up until he reached central computer. Here there were no loose plates, and there was only one way out without setting off an alarm. Spike took his claws, and sliced right through the steel above the door, until it came away in a clean section of metal.

He drifted into the main computer, pushing the metal gently away and floating in.

Is Cozy already there? Critical yes. Was she there to destroy the computer so that even if they retook the ship they would still lose it? No.

He found himself staring down the barrel of a long-rifle, and the reflective glint of metal from within the barrel. Those aren’t plastic bullets. Spike knew he was immune to crowd control rounds. But he’d never been shot with steel before. I’m about to find out what that’s like, aren’t I?

The master console was on, the dot matrix humming quietly. Meanwhile Cozy floated slightly above the ground, her wings flapping every now and then to push her back down. There was no sign of cryosickness on her—this pony hadn’t just woken up. “You’re… Spike, right?” she said. “Why didn’t you just listen to me? Your friend wouldn’t have to die, and neither would you.”

She reached out, but Spike raised his voice, surging towards her. He was now only three or so meters away, almost within reach of his flames. But even if he was close enough, they wouldn’t kill a pony very quickly. “I wouldn’t touch that if I were you,” he said flatly. “How much time do you think it will take me to cut your throat?” He bore his teeth, growling dangerously. “I’m ready for a race if you are.”

Spike had to choose his strategy, and soon.

1. Rush her. Fluttershy’s airlock is secure, it’s only me in danger. So long as she doesn’t kill me with the first shot, I win.

2. Try to secure her surrender with promises of amnesty. No one is hurt yet. This can end before it begins.

3. Try to win her over with information learned on the mission. Equestria might already be gone, Sunset is here. She can’t keep fighting for a dead society forever.

(Certainty 225 required)

Author's Note:

Another crazy roll took this chapter somewhere I didn't expect. Also, that poll site sucked and I'm not getting DDoS stuff from strawpoll, so maybe it was over. Those ads were dumb and the map thing had a creepy level of detail. So back to our old home we go.

https://www.strawpoll.me/17915982

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next