• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,743 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,743

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27

Proximus B (Metallic, habitable world, 3 months) 81%

Twilight couldn’t exactly remember the last time she’d caught two members of the crew in the rec room at the same time before. But then—she almost never used the space. Despite the promised two hours personal time in every day’s rotation, Twilight found herself more often gravitating towards getting more of her work done. There were mysteries to solve, data to investigate, and ponies that needed her attention.

But today was different. Today she stepped off the lift, slid past the cargo bay, and emerged into the recreation area to find Applejack and Fluttershy sitting together at a back table. She closed the distance quietly, hoping she might overhear some little snippet of how her crew was really feeling. But they looked up, and Applejack waved her over. “Come on over, ‘cap. We were just talkin’ about you.”

She did, wincing slightly at the patch state of Fluttershy’s mane. It took more than a few weeks to heal from cryosleep. But it was easy to be sympathetic for suffering she could remember vividly. “About me? Can’t be very interesting then.”

She pulled over a cushion, taking a seat across from the mostly-finished puzzle. This one depicted Canterlot Station, the single largest artificial structure in existence. No surprise the ones stocking the Equinox would use a space puzzle. Couldn’t you have picked something with a little more green? Twilight had thought all that steel rotating around in its many independent sections were beautiful, once. But now… now she just wanted to see something alive.

“Yeah, well. We both know that now yer just bein’ humble, cap. You wouldn’t be runnin’ this whole show if you didn’t know what you were about. Alicorn… ain’t another like ‘ya, might never be.

Twilight winced, ears flattening in embarrassment. “I wouldn’t have done it without all of you. The really big accomplishments were yours as much as mine. Nightmare Moon’s Starcarrier didn’t blow itself up, Applejack.”

“And Fluttershy, convincing that dragon to fly back to the asteroid belt—I don’t know that anypony else could’ve done that job. And those… I could go on for an hour. Everypony else waiting there in cryo… we were supposed to be a team. Don’t forget—when we caught up to Cozy, I failed my spell, and you grabbed her ship on the first try.”

“Third try,” Applejack corrected, as though covering her mouth for a cough. “I only said I had her after falin’ a few times. That way if I missed again, I’d be lettin’ you and spike down as well as me. I didn’t wanna let ya’ down.”

Twilight shrugged, then levitated a piece into place in the puzzle. She couldn’t help it—she could see the unfinished parts and feel what needed to go in next. The starry sky part was the hardest, but Twilight had her constellations memorized, and it was easy to see the gaps that had been confusing to Fluttershy and Applejack. “Was it something you wanted to ask me?” Twilight asked, breaking the awkward silence. “You know you can tell me anything. This isn’t a military ship, so there’s no reason you shouldn’t speak your mind.”

Applejack looked to Fluttershy. The doctor winced under the pressure, but Twilight knew how to deal with it. She just watched patiently, until her smile made the pegasus so nervous and uncomfortable that she had to speak. It took over a full minute this time.

“I was just going over your scans,” she eventually said, in a panicked rush that made her impossible to understand. “It looks like being frozen was much harder on you than it was for us. I was trying to get Applejack’s advice about how to tell you.”

“And I told you,” Applejack said, firmly. “You just say it. The truth won’t be different just cuz’ you put a different hat on it.”

“Harder… how?” Twilight asked, reaching up to adjust her mane subconsciously. But none of it came away against her hoof, and no fresh sores sprung up in her skin. She was exactly as healthy as she felt—perfect! “The computer didn’t give me any warning alarms while you were asleep. If you saw my records you saw I didn’t miss a single automated checkup.”

“Oh, yeah,” Fluttershy muttered. “It’s probably nothing.” Her voice trailed away, and she looked like she might get up.

But then Applejack fixed her with a glare, and she seemed to melt. “It’s, uh… look, the autocheckup is really not very smart. You’re breathing, no infections, no broken bones… so that’s it. But what you have… I can show you the x-ray. It’s…” she tapped the side of her head with a hoof. “There’s some scarring, um… around your horn.”

“You mean on my brain?”

She winced, but didn’t give up this time. “Um… yes. If I had to guess… I think maybe you might be impossible to completely freeze. It looks like some part of you might’ve been… awake the whole time. Trapped, helpless, blind…”

Twilight could almost see it. Those words—for an instant, she felt the terrible cold, the endless, dreamless nightmare. She fought, screamed for Discord, Celestia… and no one came.

Then the vision faded, and she was clutching the table with both hooves, sweat dripping down her brow. “H-how bad is it? The damage?”

“I… don’t know yet,” Fluttershy admitted. “Alicorns break all the rules we know about other tribes. But probably you’ll heal. Celestia says she grew back a whole wing once, and I believe her.”

“Is that the only thing that could cause it?” Twilight hesitated—she didn’t even want to ask, but couldn’t stop herself anymore. “I mean—there are memory spells. What if something happened on the way… and a unicorn erased it. Staying awake seems pretty far-fetched to me.”

“Well… yeah, it could be something else,” Fluttershy admitted. “But Cozy Glow isn’t a unicorn, and Rarity doesn’t know dark magic. I don’t think somepony erased your memory.”

They sat in silence together for another few moments. Twilight stared down at the puzzle, levitating a few pieces into place. At least her magic still worked.

“That reminds me, cap. I wanted to ask you about freezing. See… it’s time to plant another crop. We got ourselves a decision to make about that, and you said not to make it for you…”

“I did,” Twilight said, collecting herself. “Of course, Applejack. What is it?”

“It’s about how we manage what we grow next,” she said. “Geneseed, nutrition algae, real food. I’ve put together a few plans. I reakon you should pick one.

1. Stockpile Food. We should be able to increase our stores all the way to eight months if we grow nothing but nutrition. That’s more than half a year to study what we want, and not feel no pressure while we’re doin’ it. And it goes without sayin’ that if there’s land down there, real land… I could plant enough Geneseed to get everypony back all at once. Earth pony magic just don’t work the same on trays and spray-water.

2. Grow nothing but Geneseed. See, that’s enough time to bring back two more of our friends, that’s almost everypony. But the catch is, we’ll only have about a month a’ paste left by the time we get there. That’s about what it takes to get a full crop, so… on paper nopony starves. But granny always taught me never to trust paper for my supper.

3. Balanced approach of nutrient solution and Geneseed. We get one pony back, and there’s not a chance in Tartarus of anypony starving. Still wishin’ our tongues would fall out from eatin’ paste, but… at least we’ll have one more set of hooves on deck for Proximus B.

4. Grow real food. Real veggies and greens just barely keep up with demand, so we’ll only arrive with the same three months of food we’ve got today. Treadin’ water ain’t great, but tell that to me when I’ve got a full belly. See if I care.

(Certainty 160 required)

Author's Note:

Hey there ponies! Feel free to use the comments to discuss, but note that I don’t count them for the purposes of what happens next. If you want to make your voice heard, make sure you do it in the poll. This entry’s poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/16913103

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next