• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,755 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,755

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 106

Stop to mine 53%

It wasn’t exactly a call Twilight wanted to make. Listening to that pony distress call playing over and over filled her with dread she could barely suppress. But however much she wanted to help, some rational part won out. They lasted this long, it doesn’t seem like two months will make a significant difference.

They diverted a few degrees, slowing well short of Proximus C to orbit a metal-rich asteroid that would give them everything they needed in the shortest possible time horizon. With a year and everything they’d figured out, Twilight suspected they could’ve had the Spikequinox in better shape than when it drifted out of space dock. But she couldn’t justify that kind of delay, and the losses that might come with it.

We are the last of our species. Those words haunted her while she worked, and they followed her in her dreams. She tried to imagine what an evacuation of all Equestria might look like, and she couldn’t. No matter how united the world became, the vast majority would still be left behind. The loss of life staggered her.

But while she struggled in silence, the rest of her crew worked.

Are there any accidents or other mishaps during the mining process? No.

Between the prospector and Apple Bloom’s new robots, the repairs proceeded rapidly. Twilight watched as the little spiders danced along the exterior hull, sealing new armor plates, welding supports into place, then casting back on thin tethers.

What would’ve taken even an expert like Rarity several weeks, they could do in one. For better or worse, there was nothing to fear from the machines doing what they shouldn’t, since Spike controlled them all.

Those who didn’t or couldn’t help with the mining could continue their personal projects. Rainbow was the first to call her, her voice boiling with excitement even over the radio. “Right now, captain! I’m in the bridge!”

“We’re not… under attack, are we?” Twilight put down the trowel, pushing off from the hydroponics tray. “I didn’t get an alert.”

“No,” Rainbow said. “And after what I did, we won’t be! You should probably just teleport up here.”

Twilight shuddered at the thought. After the things she’d seen and heard while teleporting around on this mission, she didn’t use the magic for casual transport anymore. Even if it had been a while since her last experience.

She arrived a few minutes later to see Rainbow at the weapons station, which had a few more green lights on the status display than last time.

“We did it!” Rainbow said, bouncing out of her chair and grinning proudly. “It wasn’t easy, don’t get me wrong. But after this, I think I might deserve a fieldcert in engineering.”

“You don’t want that,” Twilight said, flapping towards her in the zero-gravity. “Believe me. You don’t want an engineer’s duty roster. What’s the point of an increase in pay if there’s no Equestria to pay you?”

“Right.” She deflated, falling silent for a moment before gesturing over her shoulder at the computer. “Check it out!”

Twilight didn’t move. She couldn’t help but feel a little guilty to see Rainbow’s enthusiasm die like that. She was proud of what she’d done, and she should be. “You can just give me the report, I trust you.”

Rainbow needed no more encouragement than that. “Well captain, you already knew the point defenses were running. Without the lasers, we’d be pierced by little bits of space trash every few days. But those aren’t good against anything larger than half a kilogram at fairly close range.”

Twilight nodded. “I bet Spike is an even better shot than the programs used to be.”

“An order of magnitude better,” Spike said. “Seeing how they work, I’m amazed we arrived in one piece.”

Rainbow turned back to the terminal, gesturing at the joystick and keypad. “You’ll probably remember when we scraped our torpedo tubes and guidance systems. And the ammo, and…” she winced. “I know you had good reasons! But just because we haven’t needed them yet doesn’t mean we won’t. It wasn’t that hard to get the hardware replaced for one of the tubes. Lots of fabricator hours, with a little help from Node to replace the computer stuff… point is, we’ve got a tube. One of four. But that’s 25% of the way to fully repaired!”

“How much ordinance do we have?”

“We kept all the bombs,” Rainbow said. “But fabricating little rockets takes time. By the time we reach the planet, I can give you four shots.”

Four torpedoes, and one tube to fire them. It wasn’t much, particularly considering the odds stacked against them so far. But Twilight would take what she could get. “Excellent work,” she said, embracing her friend. “Keep working. I’ll make sure you’re not assigned to anything else until we get a second tube operational.”

“Don’t scrap my systems for spare parts next time,” Rainbow said, grinning.

A few days later, they were moving again, and Spike got her attention with a few quick flashes from the bridge’s guidance terminal. “Captain, we need to choose our final approach. Either way, it’s going to be some tricky flying.”

Twilight squinted down at the projections, going over them in her mind.

1. Proceed directly for the submerged vessel and attempt to dock with the Spikequinox.

2. Establish a distant orbit and send in a robotic probe.

3. Send a crew down in the Prospector.

(Certainty 205 required)

Author's Note:

Sorry about the delay on this chapter, I've been occupied with moving and didn't have enough spare time to get to it right away.

This chapter's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18505298

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next