• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,753 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,753

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 77

Focus on her Brain 67%

Not everyone could be in attendance for the surgery, despite how much they might want to. After an initial prep on Proximus B, Fluttershy loaded what was left of Sunset Shimmer onto the Prospector.

Twilight was there to hold her in total antigravity, even during transit, while Spike worked the controls. Only Node came along, since her direct involvement would be needed to get the artificial limbs working.

Twilight managed the trip up without difficulty, with only a minor hiccup that nearly flubbed the whole thing.

Is Twilight’s Insight far more powerful in space? Critical Yes.

She stopped hearing Spike and Fluttershy’s thoughts, stopped imagining the faint, desperate feelings of fear and pain from the sedated Sunset Shimmer. Instead her mind started to drift outward—past the ring, which whispered faintly to her whenever she closed her eyes. There was no direction to the feeling, it was in front of her no matter what way she turned her head.

She could hear… something. A fleet, vaster than anything Equestria had ever imagined. At its center was a star, a red-dwarf surrounded by mirrors and stations each of which whispered faintly to all the others. All the power of that star blasted outward from behind it through a tiny opening, without even the faintest trace of gamma-rays leaking from any other part.

And around it was…

Can Twilight keep her focus? No.

She screamed, and her spell started to spark. She dropped to one knee under the assault, nearly dropping the levitating Sunset with her. Any other unicorn would have, but for an Alicorn, spells had just a little more sticking power. Just a second.

Can Fluttershy help her in time? Yes. Twilight takes three points of bashing damage from overdose.

She felt a faint pressure on the back of her head, heard the rushing air of a nitrogen needle. The pain faded instantly, and Twilight was suddenly wide alert. Time almost slowed down for a few seconds, and she caught Sunset’s surgical apparatus could hit the ground.

“That’s more than I’d give anypony for a week,” Fluttershy said from just behind her, removing an empty canister from her nitrogen needle. “How’s that?”

“The… buck did you…” Her brain kept expanding, looking so far past the fleet that it went out of focus. Whatever danger there had been of her being overwhelmed by what she saw was gone.

“Wakeup,” she said. “Stimulants interfere with delicate magic, but leave the simple stuff alone. It’s something unicorns get warned about in the Academy. Why unicorns can’t have anything more than coffee during surgery.”

“I might need more of that,” Twilight said. Her heart raced, her breathing slow and shallow. “In case something like this happens again.”

“With respect,” Fluttershy said, checking Sunset’s vitals for the thousandth’s time. “Buck no. If I gave you another milliliter your heart would stop. Mine would’ve.”

Twilight grumbled, but this wasn’t the time to have this argument. She could feel the weight pressing her to the floor lessening—in a few more minutes, they would reach high orbit, and her magic wouldn’t be needed.

Besides, there might be other treatments. I can table this until after Sunset. Fluttershy was on to something with the stimulants.

They docked without incident, and for the first time in months, Twilight returned to the Equinox.

She smelled the familiar scent of the air-recyclers as the airlock cycled around them and found herself smiling despite their grim purpose here. The ground was nice, but it had never really been her home. This was where she belonged.

There was no more acceleration gravity, so she had to use her own magic to simulate any. She flew like a pegasus as they took their pony through to the medical bay, resting her magic for the lengthy process ahead.

Fluttershy had already told her that zero gravity would not be used during this surgery, so Twilight would need all the endurance she could muster.

Fluttershy was remarkably formal about everything, right down to using Spike as a medical orderly with gloves and apron and everything. Twilight herself would be casting the spell from behind the surgical-theater’s window. “Her immune system is effectively destroyed, and we’re cutting into her. She’ll need to remain in a completely sterile environment for some time.”

“You’re saying Sunset is stuck up here,” Twilight said, stopping Fluttershy before she could pass through the medical airlock. She didn’t feel even slightly tired and didn’t suspect she would for a few more days. At least the voices hadn’t come back.

“I would’ve suggested it anyway,” Fluttershy said. “So little of her original body survived that the stress of movement down on the surface would likely kill her. But up here, she has a chance.”

Twilight didn’t argue, just took one of the viewing seats and got ready to apply her gravity spell. Ordinarily she would’ve brought entertainment to keep her distracted during something like this, but just now she knew she wouldn’t look away. She cast her spell, charging the operating room’s gravity grid. Even a young unicorn could keep this going—it was an enchantment, all she had to do was keep the spell powered. Twilight settled in for a long wait.

She listened through the window, occasionally answering radio calls from the surface, and providing updates. “Fluttershy just opened her skull.” Or “She’s clearing a blockage in Sunset’s cranial artery.” Everything was focused on her brain—for the rest of her, Fluttershy had basically just plugged her into life support and hoped for the best.

The process took nearly twenty-four hours. Twilight’s own stimulants made staying awake easy for her, but she could see Fluttershy start to falter. Spike gave up completely at some point and slumped into a corner, not waking up for the rest of the surgery. But Node was already there to supply implants, and she wouldn’t get tired, so she took Spike’s place.

Eventually it was done. Fluttershy covered her sleeping patient, then dragged herself out the decontamination scrubbers. She flopped sideways out the airlock and onto the ground, looking up weakly at Twilight.

How was the surgery? Sunset Shimmer’s brain damage has been repaired, and she will not suffer from chronic pain once healing is complete. Nerve damage to the rest of her body will make other complications and require intense physical training to regain the use of her limbs. Her damage is reduced to a single point of aggravated, though her maximum health is not yet restored.

“She’s… fixed,” Fluttershy said. “Or… mostly fixed. The parts that we can’t replace. She’ll need six months of intense treatment to be ‘healthy’ again. I’ll be keeping her under for the twenty-four hours, then you’ll be able to talk to her. If she wakes up. We still don’t…”

Is Fluttershy hurt from her surgical work? Yes. Fluttershy is drained to exhaustion and takes a single point of lethal damage from her exertions.

She started snoring.

Twilight relaxed her gravity spell at last. She didn’t intend to leave this room, in case something happened through the glass. With Fluttershy completely incapacitated, she might be the one to save Sunset if something serious happened.

Nothing with Sunset did, but after a few hours, Twilight’s radio buzzed, and she sat up.

“Rainbow here,” came the voice, with the telltale signs of transmission delay. “We have… a bit of a situation.”

“Go ahead,” Twilight prompted. She was still wide awake—it seemed like Fluttershy’s drug would make her never able to feel tired again.

“Rarity detected some strange EM readings coming from in the building. I think something in the memorial is waking up. If what we’re reading was one of our ships, I’d read that amount of waste heat as a reactor as big as the Equinox’s, maybe bigger.”

Twilight had to make orders fast.

1. Rainbow takes the best available crew into the Memorial to investigate.

2. Rainbow evacuates camp into the city ruins on a wheeled cargo vehicle, getting enough distance to survive even a fusion explosive. Get underground and stay there.

3. Twilight wakes spike with some stimulant, then flies the Prospector down herself for an evacuation. We can watch from orbit.

4. Sit tight and watch. No Sudden moves.

(Certainty 235 required)

Author's Note:

This chapter's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/17798689

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next