• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,753 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,753

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 59

Have a crew meeting 65%

“So that’s where we stand,” Twilight said, as soon as she had finished summarizing all of the relevant facts. They were all gathered together in the workshop, the largest enclosed space in the camp. Well, everypony except Node. The construct hadn’t ever really acted like a member of her crew, and less so lately. It had its own workshop, and refused to leave for days at a time.

But the others were all here, gathered around the table. Rainbow Dash with her weather jumpsuit and sidearm. Applejack, seeming perpetually angry at everything but healthy otherwise. Pinkie, with a binder of notes about the excavations she’d been making. Rarity, seeming a tad worn down from her research, but collected otherwise. And Fluttershy, who seemed far more cooperative after all this time to care for everypony and her growing collection of insects and small animals.

Spike sat beside her, and she couldn’t help but feel like he’d really grown into that ‘second in command’ role. He’d managed to clear up the Equinox all on his own, even outside the scope of his own training. Creating Node might not have been the most significant contribution long-term, but that wasn’t his fault.

“We’ve given this as long as we can. It’s time to pick one of our options and run with it.”

“What we’ve learned isn’t… great.” Fluttershy said. Her voice was flat, and she seemed on the edge of tears every second. “All those years. Everypony we knew… gone. Already. No calling home to say goodbye before the return trip.”

“And no telling what’s waiting for us back there,” Applejack said. “Another ship out here… the Equinox was a mighty big investment. Every creature in system was part of this flight. I thought they didn’t think they’d get another ship out for decades.”

“They had decades,” Rainbow snapped. “And it probably took half as long to build another ship. If they used the same design, they probably learned a lot too. Sunset’s ship should’ve been better than ours.”

“We could ask her,” Pinkie said. “Wake her up, see what she has to say.”

“Or we could wake my little sis,” Applejack countered. “Sunset might’ve been the captain, but that ain’t everything. She was in an escape pod, buried underground. No tellin’ how she got there, how long it was when she went to sleep. But my sis… Apple Bloom was in the ruin. She might know about the Signalers too. Might help us… confirm what Cozy Glow said.”

“Eh, I dunno Applejack,” Rainbow said. “She’s got that funky thing going on with her leg. What if you have to amputate or something? You think she’d appreciate that?”

“I think,” Applejack rose from her chair, glaring across the table at Rainbow Dash. “That she wouldn’t be anythin’ if we leave her in some alien taxidermy lab for all eternity. I’ve been waiting long enough, cap. I’ve been cooperative, I’ve been patient. Having the Equinox’s medical bay to treat her made sense. But it’s past time I stop waiting. I ain’t askin’ no more to get my sister back, I’m tellin.’ That’s first priority. And… maybe Sunset at the same time. Might as well treat ‘em both at the same time. You can do that, can’t ya Fluttershy?”

“I, um…”

“Course ‘ya can,” Applejack spoke over her, raising her voice a little. “I know a whole lot more about the machine. I’m basically positive I can get her out no trouble.”

“It’s… after she’s out that’s the trouble,” Fluttershy muttered, her voice so small Twilight could barely hear her. “I don’t know what that growth on her foreleg is, Applejack. It might be fatal. She was put into stasis for a reason.”

“Nah, I got a theory for that,” Applejack said. “I think my sis just wasn’t with anypony else at the time. She locked herself up in that thing because she needed some way to save herself, last until help could arrive. You can get it out. You’ve already done miracles.” She glanced sidelong at Pinkie Pie, but didn’t actually say anything.

“I think…” Pinkie said, noticing the attention on her. “There’s just too much for us to move from one thing to another, all in a big group. We should split up. Equestria might really really really need our help. So if it does, we should really really really get back as quick as we can. Or maybe it doesn’t, and we’re worried about nothing. Who knows? Sunset and Apple Bloom know.

“So here’s my plan: Applejack, Fluttershy, you wake up both of the sleeping ponies. Talk to ‘em, find out what they know. Throw a few parties for me. Meanwhile, Rainbow, Twilight, and robot can go south into the city. You had to run away last time, but… imagine what we could find out? Big stuff.”

“What about you, darling?” Rarity asked. “That plan sounds involved. Will you just be… farming some more?”

“Oh, no,” Pinkie grinned at her. “Spike and I will be on the Prospector, flying through space!”

“We will?” Spike’s eyebrow went up. “Why us? And… where?”

“Sunset had a… device with her,” Twilight supplied. Coordinates around Proximus C. There’s something in orbit there.”

“I respect your tenacity, Pinkie… but I don’t think we should be spreading our resources so thin. I think… we should stay local. Wake up the two sleeping ponies, meanwhile everypony who isn’t needed for that could… investigate the building some more. Maybe… use the machines we left alone? Or… at the very least, bring them back. Since I’m sure we’ll be moving away soon.”

“Or…” Fluttershy said, her voice small again. “We could just bring them all with us, get back onto the Prospector, and go back to Equestria. I mean… it looks like we already know it’s dangerous. I think we saw as much as we needed to.”

“No,” Rainbow Dash cut her off. “We haven’t, Fluttershy. There’s one thing nopony mentioned yet… the ring.” She pointed up with a wing. “That thing is still running. Power flowing through it bigger than the biggest thunderstorm. I bet it’s just full of awesome stuff. I say half the crew wakes up ponies down here, other half goes up there and kicks some flank. Or… learns some powerful weapon designs. Or… you know, whatever’s there. It’ll be awesome is the point.

1. Investigate the ring while waking up the sleeping ponies. [dangerous]

2. Use the Perseverance while waking up the sleeping ponies. [dangerous]

3. Wake the sleepers, investigate the planet, and check what’s in orbit. (the orbital investigation will require a several-month round trip and consume many food supplies) [dangerous]

4. Go home to Equestria with the sleeping ponies aboard.

(Certainty 220 required)

Author's Note:

I'll add the character sheets for the rest of the crew to the resource page in the next few days. All six of them are now fully accessible.

https://www.strawpoll.me/17498323

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next