• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,743 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,743

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33

Try a little longer, 45%

“We aren’t going to come all this way for nothing,” Twilight finally declared. “But that doesn’t mean we have to put the Equinox in unnecessary danger. That means trying to dock with that ring or land it on the planet are out of the question. But that doesn’t mean we could learn more about them…” Maybe the planet was safe, maybe it wasn’t. They wouldn’t be able to figure that out from orbit, which was the tricky part.

“Give me a little time to think. Until Spike’s, uh… thing finishes. For all we know it might have another message from the Signalers in there. We shouldn’t decide until we have all the facts.”

“Sure,” Applejack rose from her chair. “Let me know if anything changes with Pinkie Pie. I’m eager to hear what she remembers about the trip over.” And she left, leaving Twilight and Spike alone at the table.

“We’re stressing over nothing,” Spike began, smiling weakly. “You’ll see. Proximus B might’ve had things… a little rough… but that doesn’t mean the Signalers are bad. They called us here for a reason, you’ll see.”

She intended to. There wasn’t much to do over the next day or so, beyond the waiting. There were skilled ponies who might have unicorn magic to do on the mind of a pony as hurt as Pinkie, but Twilight wasn’t one of them. Mind magic was a dangerous, delicate art, one she’d never mastered.

But she could take her own look at the planet below, and the ring encircling it. The ring didn’t just float, but was actually made of several interconnected layers, which moved through and around each other in rapid, apparently important ways. But what she couldn’t manage to spot were any easy docking ports. If the Signalers had ships of their own, they didn’t get on in off in any simple way ponies understood. Maybe they’re better at teleporting than we are, better range and more precise. Or maybe they use something like Sombra did on his space station.

Her speculation was pointless, since she couldn’t talk to them. She tried that too during her day of waiting and thinking—but just as before, the ring did not respond. It didn’t shoot them out of space, either, but…

Interestingly, returning the Signal had no effect—either they couldn’t hear it over how loud they were transmitting it, or they just weren’t listening.

But then the time came.

There would be no accidents this time—everypony but Fluttershy was there. Applejack actually wore a gun on her waist, for all the good it would do against the probe. Twilight had a notepad ready, and Spike just watched. The “decompressing” timer counted its last few minutes.

“I know I should’ve asked this earlier…” Applejack muttered. “But I’m confirming now. There’s nothing dangerous in there. This isn’t a bomb.”

“No,” Spike answered. “Most dangerous thing in that shell is the RTG that was already there to start with.”

“Can’t overload it at least,” Applejack muttered. “Those things are solid state. But if anything weird happens, hold your breath and back up. Kinda wish we’d just fire the whole thing out an Airlock.”

“If it’s dangerous, we will,” Twilight said. “But everything it’s done so far… I don’t think it will be dangerous.”

“Me neither,” Spike agreed. “It could’ve tricked me into making a bomb if it wanted. But instead the designs it left will… change Equestria forever. Assuming we make it back with them.”

“And assuming it does anything,” Twilight added.

But that didn’t seem to be much of an assumption anymore, because that was when the timer counted down. The screen went white, a steady glow brighter than any of their displays, but nothing as brilliant as a torch. Then it went out, and all the little flashing lights stopped flashing.

“That’s it?” Applejack rolled her eyes. “It didn’t even vibrate, or… shoot rainbows at us, er…”

“Neither is possible,” said Starlight Glimmer. “But if you were to connect me to the mainframe, I could probably manage something.”

Twilight stared at the probe, utterly transfixed. How in the buck— then it clicked. The Equinox’s automated systems had been programmed by Starlight. Her voice recordings filled it at every level. The alien object was somehow appropriating them, and generating sound from within the probe.

She was halfway tempted to unplug it right there—from the archive and the portable computer, anyway. But she hesitated. It hadn’t tried to do anything bad yet. And the drives were already slowing to a stop, their access lights dimming one after another. Only the probe kept glowing.


“Where are you communicating from?” Twilight asked, before either of her crew could. “I assume this is a communicator of some kind. You’re… on the ring, aren’t you?”

Are you sure we ought to be talkin’ to it?” Applejack hissed. But Twilight ignored her. Maybe Spike had been right after all. Maybe this was the key to speaking to the Signalers.

“I am… ring? No.” It was uncannily good at assembling Starlight’s voice. The cuts were there, but often from clips so short that Twilight would’ve been hard-pressed to guess what she’d originally been saying. “Localized. Attempting to… comprehend you. Difficult. Requires processing time.”

“We need our computer,” Applejack called, annoyed. “You can’t use it again like last time. We barely survived it.”

The probe had no ability to move, no visual indication of who had its attention. Yet it spoke to Applejack as unflinchingly as Twilight. “Not… necessary. Hardware is localized. Sufficient.”

“We’re travelers from Equestria,” Twilight said, before she could get caught up in the moment and forget. “We’ve come to make peaceful contact with your civilization. To answer your signal.”

“Peaceful,” Starlight’s voice repeated. “Will see.” Then the screen went dark again. Twilight could still feel heat emanating from within the probe, but other than that, it made no more signs of life. She prompted it a few more times, but there was no response each time.

Applejack gestured, and they left the probe behind, retreating into the lift and taking it up. Only when they were moving did Applejack speak. “I don’t like it,” she said. “Whatever can get into our systems like that… Cap, it could do more than just talk if it wanted. It took two days. I bet it could shut off life support without even tryin’.”

Twilight had a choice.

1. Strap some explosives to it, then eject the probe into space. Applejack is right, the object is too dangerous to keep any longer. The Signalers will have to find a way to communicate that doesn’t put the Equinox in danger.

2. Move it onto the escape pod, but don’t do anything drastic. If something goes wrong, we can get rid of it in a hurry. But otherwise, there’s no reason to get rid of it so soon.

3. Keep a pony with it at all times. It talked to us! We’re so close! Forget ground missions and remote probes, this might be it. Just a little more patience and we’ll have our diplomacy.

(Certainty 200 required)

Author's Note:

Hey there ponies! Feel free to use the comments to discuss, but note that I don’t count them for the purposes of what happens next. If you want to make your voice heard, make sure you do it in the poll. This entry’s poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/16974538

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next