• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,741 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,741

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5

Repair the Engines

Twilight Sparkle drifted through the computer mainframe, fighting down her stomach with every bounce and push with her wings. It’s okay, Applejack is doing what I told her. There’s no reason to be upset.

Repairing the Equinox’s engines required shutting them down, which meant they stopped decelerating. No more negative acceleration meant no more apparent gravity. Unlike some of her friends, Twilight was no rock hopping prospector, who had spent months at a time in low-to-no gravity. She liked her hooves on something solid, thanks. Just a few more days, she said. I can last a few more days.

Nograv hadn’t been nearly this bad before being frozen, but soft tissue was the slowest to heal, and her ears were still a work in progress. All it took was a single unexpected bump to send her clutching at her stomach. But Twilight fought that down, concentrated on each push, each bounce.

The central computer was the single largest part of the ship and the second-heaviest system after the engines. Twilight passed dozens of identical mainframe racks, their tapes dutifully spinning even after all these years. There wasn’t even any dust. The central computer usually ran in vacuum, except for the insulated fluid conduits taking heat away. But the huge computer would have to adapt, at least for a few hours.

So many of the Equinox’s terminals had given her trouble that Capitan Twilight had no choice but to go to the source.

She reached the chair, pulled it out, then slipped into the straps. She was a little pleased to see a few strands of her mane drift in front of her eyes and have to push them out of the way. Her feathers hadn’t recovered—she’d probably have white feathers in her wings for years. But if her body could finish healing away all the necrotic flesh, that would be good enough for her.

The keyboard at this terminal was still covered in a little plastic shroud. Twilight peeled it away and was pleased to see it didn’t crumble but came free with a delightfully satisfying sound. She unplugged the keyboard, testing each of its fourteen keys with her hooves. The springs were still good. Too bad we couldn’t keep the whole ship on vacuum like this. Might not be falling apart the way it is. But Equestria had been impatient to answer the signal, even if that meant sending a ship that wasn’t ready to run itself.

Twilight settled in against her chair, rested her hooves onto the keyboard’s rests, and settled into a familiar routine. Here in the Equinox’s mainframe she finally had her library.

There was a vast repository of information here, observations taken by their probe, messages back and forth from Equestria, and much more. She heard several of the drives behind her spin up as she drug through the vast library of information here. She’d been through bits and pieces of that during her time awake, trying to catch up on everything that had happened back in Equestria. Well, the Equestria of four years ago. Anything newer was still on its way.

And we’re missing it because the antenna is down.

But she had ruled that system secondary for now. They had to get their own microscopic world in order before they could worry about what was happening to another one.

Part of that would be setting a course. Spike had kept a general heading towards Proximus, but that was too general. If they were going to be burning fuel to slow down, might as well settle that orbit down around something useful. They’d already leaked enough fuel that their range would be reduced, though Applejack couldn’t yet tell her by how much.

For now, she needed to pick their first destination. With the sensors down, that meant going into the archives and digging up what the probe had seen on its flyby through Proximus over a decade ago.

The data took her some time to find. Despite the appearance of a well-oiled machine, the Equinox’s data storage involved many moving parts, not all of which were still moving. With enough time and the right resources, they had blueprints for fabricators that could replace literally anything on the Equinox. And we’ll have to seriously think about what we’re going to repair for the return trip. There’s no chance she’ll make it back to Equestria in this condition.

But that was a concern for a future Twilight. She couldn’t go back into storage again, not for at least a year to fully heal. And there would be no reason to return to Equestria until they had accomplished their purpose.

Fortunately for them, Equestria’s engineers had foreseen their current predicament. The computer had many layers of redundancy. After swapping out several dead spools, Twilight finally found the right backup drive.

Spike’s initial estimate had been right, all those years ago. There were only three planets in the system, plus a modestly sized asteroid belt that might’ve once been a fourth. Her judgment wouldn’t be final—she could always change their course if new information presented itself. But that would waste fuel, which they no longer had in great supply. When Applejack finished working with the engine, she would be expecting a course. Unfortunately for her, the engineers were both too busy to ask their advice.

It’s okay, I can change my mind if I really need to.

A. Proximus A, a rocky planet with a thick hydrocarbon atmosphere located so close to Proximus that travel there would require a little extra fuel. The probe’s measurements indicated its surface temperature was at least 400 C.

B. Proximus B, an Equus-sized planet located squarely in the Proximus habitable zone. What was more, its surface appeared almost coated in places with metallic deposits. The probe observed no signs of a biosphere or oceans, but also reported an oxygen atmosphere and unusual radio readings. Sadly none of these readings had been compact enough to archive, and so they were lost on the damaged tape.

C. Proximus C, a gas giant composed primarily of hydrogen. Based on its current orbital position, it would be the easiest to reach for fuel, but require the longest time to allow it to process some distance around Proximus and not force a sustained high-G deceleration burn. The planet itself appeared unremarkable, but readings indicate several moons, at least one of which read positive for the tritium required to make fuel for the return trip.

(Certainty 140 required)

Author's Note:

Hey there ponies! Feel free to use the comments to discuss, but note that I don’t count them for the purposes of what happens next. If you want to make your voice heard, make sure you do it in the poll. This entry’s poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/16647756

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next