• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,761 Views, 4,802 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,802
 7,761

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 38

Deliver the probe first. 50%

“We’re talking a big risk here,” Applejack said. “By… deliverin’ this thing. I hope you know that.”

Twilight found it hard to be annoyed with Applejack now, even though she was pointing out the obvious. She didn’t look away from the controls, concentrating on her path towards a bit of clear ground between two gigantic buildings.

The structures on Proximus B were even more intimidating when they were rising up all around them, like Canterlot Station cast to the size of an entire planet. Down on their level she could see plenty of the signs of whatever strange conflict had ravaged this place—entire buildings had collapsed, taking a dozen of their neighbors down with them. Some had been torn right in half, or had huge empty holes through them without any apparent impact on their structural soundness.

But they hadn’t been shot at on the way down, they hadn’t had the ship eaten away by some invisible machines, and their engines hadn’t mysteriously failed. By all visible evidence, the planet below was safe.

They touched down on a street wider than half of Canterlot, if you could even call it a street. They were at the top of what was obviously a nested honeycomb of traffic, with things that looked like rail lines and tubes interspersed with what might’ve been walkways and sections for cars. The cars themselves were nowhere to be seen, however, as though the entire surface had been vacuumed clean. There were no trains or crashed aircraft either. Nothing that could’ve had an occupant? Maybe it wasn’t attacked so much as evacuated. After the attack that had ruined it, perhaps?

She finally released her hooves from the controls, turning to Applejack. “I realize it’s a risk. But I also realize that our friend—that probe—is the entire reason for this mission. We wouldn’t even be here if it wasn’t for its race. They gave us the technology for interstellar travel, they invited us here.”

Applejack raised an annoyed hoof. “Don’t need to tell me none. I get it. I didn’t argue that much, did I?” That was subjective, so Twilight supposed it couldn’t technically be a lie. As much as her annoyance wouldn’t be in any hurry to admit the spacer hadn’t argued. “I’m just sayin’ we’re putting ourselves in danger. It’s possible that landing here like we did will wake things up. Or if not this, then walkin’ around. Whoever is controlling that probe… assuming it’s the Signalers… does it seem right they’d be so sharp? I dunno, just don’t feel right.”

“We’ll take a small team,” Twilight said, without hesitation. She’d already been thinking about it on the way down. “Myself and one other pony. Landing again might be tricky for any pilot but me, but…”

“I won’t crash yer pretty ship,” Applejack interrupted. “Worked hard enough to get her back, just wouldn’t be right.”

“I wasn’t suggesting you would!” Twilight put up both hooves defensively. “Anyway, I’m planning on just taking one of you. The other two can wait on the Prospector here—either to mount a rescue if we need it, or to fly away if it’s clear we… won’t come back.”

“Makes sense I guess. We’d have to be crazy to go in if we thought there was danger, but… no sign of anything still alive yet. What about the sensors?”

Twilight leaned in to examine them, and her eyes went wide. There was a powerful energy reading coming from almost directly below them. Far enough that her mouth hung open. The sensors gave her an estimate for the size of the EM reading, probably wildly wrong, at a reactor size of a Faust Class Capital Carrier. Through all that metal? It might be ten times as large. A hundred times.

“There’s something awake down there,” she said, pointing at the screen. Applejack wasn’t trained in this kind of sensor manipulation, but she could read a number.

Applejack whistled. “Well I’ll be. If that was a bomb, just imagine the size of the hole it would leave up here.”

“Or… maybe it’s just part of the planet! City this big must’ve needed a lot of energy, right? Maybe one of the power plants is still running! A working power plant could be a… shelter! For the survivors the probe wants us to meet!”

“That’s an awful lot of what ifs.” Applejack shook her head. “But it’s why we’re here. Guess the only thing left is to talk to Fluttershy, huh?”

They found her with Pinkie Pie, having a quiet conversation over a pot of tea. Fluttershy had prepared it, and judging by the open container on the table between them, Pinkie Pie had just had her daily medication. Much milder than what she’d been on before—she only looked relaxed now, instead of completely spaced. “We’re here,” she announced. “You… probably felt it when we came down.”

Fluttershy nodded, gesturing to the tea. “Want any?”

Twilight nodded and took a cup. She sipped, and found the flavor surprisingly refreshing despite its age. Tea did better in storage than many other rations, which was why it made up so much of their supply. “Thank you.” She kept her ears alert for any sounds from outside—the ground shifting under them, the motion-tracker alarm. But there was nothing, just the wind-down of the thrusters and the steady hum of the ventilator.

A few hours later, Fluttershy finally left her makeshift laboratory corner, looking resolved. “Well… looks like it’s safe. Same as the other site, except there’s less plant material. But since it takes time to run a culture, anyone who goes out there will do it under respiration and full decontamination both ways. In thirty days I can see how the culture’s doing, then maybe we lift the rules.”

“Fine,” Twilight rose to her hooves, tapping one against the metal to get everypony’s attention. “I’ve been thinking, and I’ve decide who’s coming with me on our first field mission. It’s…”

1. Applejack. “This is obviously a city, which might be filled with any number of unknown devices. If we’re going to interpret the clues to what happened here, I need an engineer.”

2. Fluttershy. “Nothing will give us more opportunity to determine whether the planet is safe than to example a typical structure up close. The location the probe wants us to visit is just under a kilometer from here. Think of everything we might learn about the planet after traveling a distance like that.”

3. Pinkie Pie. “I think you’ve been trapped in spacecraft long enough, Pinkie. You’re the only planetborn pony awake right now, so why don’t you come with me? Some fresh air… from inside a respirator… will make you feel better.”

4. Nobody. “I’ve asked each of you to take too many risks already. From now on the only life I take into my own hooves is my own. If any of you were to be lost in the line of duty, we might never be able to return home. But me… I’m replaceable. Just don’t break the mainframe on the way home.”

(Certainty 210 required)

Author's Note:

Feel free to use the comments to discuss, but note that I don’t count them for the purposes of what happens next. If you want to make your voice heard, make sure you do it in the poll. This entry’s poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/17086985

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next