• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,750 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,750

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 67

If Apple Bloom isn’t contagious, have her investigate the contingency 41%

[Scene altered]

Twilight woke in the middle of the night, to the unmistakable rumble of a hydrogen igniter. But the time she’d darted out of bed, she could feel the ground shaking all around her. She darted out the airlock, waiting the painful seconds it took to cycle, and emerged just in time to see the distant purple glow of the Prospector as it rumbled up into the sky.

She considered briefly whether or not she should try to teleport aboard and stop the ones involved. But transporting onto a ship when she didn’t know its position or acceleration was a risky business. Even if she somehow calculated its position correctly in her head, it would be accelerating as well, and she didn’t have the numbers on its speed.

She sighed, making her way back into her bedroom with the door still agape and lifting her radio off the hook. “I’d love to know what the buck is going on up there. I didn’t give anypony orders to go anywhere.”

Do Spike, Rainbow, and Rarity take it into their own hooves to go launch the probe? Yes.

It was Spike who answered, his voice a little less timid than she might’ve expected for a direct violation of her orders. “Captain, we’re… this was my idea.”

“Okay,” she sat back, flicking on the lights with her magic and glaring at the plastic box. Unfortunately it wouldn’t be sending her anger through space. “Is a mutiny taking place? You know we have a procedure for voting me out.”

“No!” Rainbow Dash this time. “Captain, it’s simple. Spike realized he didn’t have enough spare parts to make all the legs, and Node wants the computer-making stuff Spike built to do the microcontrollers. Your second in command authorized us to come up here to carry out your orders. We’re just making the prosthetics.”

“And launching the probe,” Rarity finished. “It only made sense with the use of fuel and time to come up here anyway. We should be back in a week, tops. No time at all, really!”

Twilight gritted her teeth. “You should have told me first. I probably would’ve agreed with you. Being more efficient… that’s more than fine, given our circumstances. But going around me isn’t. I’ll authorize what you’re doing up there, but from now on… I want explicit confirmation before you ever use any of our vehicles to travel anywhere, is that clear?

“Yes, captain,” Spike said.

“And we will be having a word about this when you return,” Twilight finished. “We can’t function as a crew without trust. Twilight out.”

She went back to bed, or tried to anyway. She didn’t actually sleep for the rest of the night, her mind racing down all the dark places that the sudden departure suggested. Maybe Cozy Glow had awoken, repaired the weapons, and was about to shoot them out of the sky. Then the few of them would be stranded here on the surface of a dead world, doomed to live out their lonely days without a hope of seeing another pony again.

In the morning, she dragged herself to morning calisthenics, then through the shower, then made Fluttershy her first stop. After an awkward explanation of what had happened the night before, she found herself standing in front of Fluttershy’s array of tissue samples.

Is Apple Bloom still contagious after being cleaned? No.

“It’s clear, captain. I cooked these samples for the last two days since we scrubbed her. Apple Bloom isn’t contagious anymore. She may’ve been right—the transformation itself created a cocoon, altering the materials all around it. We don’t understand how it could take place so quickly, or how it could adapt to dynamically use whatever materials were nearby.”

“So she’s safe,” Twilight said. “We can bring her into the crew. Applejack will love that.”

“Well…” Fluttershy winced. “Yes, with reservations. Her body has internal fluids, just like ours. We don’t understand how they work yet, but it’s possible some of those might still be dangerous. We should stay away from her in any environment where her body might be damaged. So no gunfights, no machine-shops, nothing like that. I’ll continue testing, but it might take weeks to be sure. Her body reflects the wavelengths used by our medical scanner, so I don’t have very good internal telemetry yet. We’d have to bring her aboard the Equinox for better readings.”

“Unfortunately, the Prospector has already returned,” Twilight said through gritted teeth. Then she turned back to the rest of medical. “What about the patients?”

Sunset transforms 1 point of aggravated damage into lethal. This means her current health pool is 4, with 3 being aggravated damage and 1 lethal. This also means she would die instantly if removed from life support.

Fluttershy’s expression brightened. “Both doing well. Sunset’s surgical wounds are healing, with no signs of infection. And Applejack… she should be ready to receive her implant by the time it gets here. Next week, right?”

She nodded, expression darkening again. “Next week.”

She spent a few more minutes chatting with Fluttershy, a little longer with Applejack to reassure her that everything was alright, then found herself somewhere private to talk. She switched to Apple Bloom’s channel.

“Apple Bloom, it’s Twilight. Are you there?”

“Yes?” she sounded a little fearful. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No. I’ve got good news, actually.” She explained all the details of Fluttershy’s findings, then. “I’m clearing you to return to base. However, I also have an assignment for you. Other than that report you wrote, I mean.”

“Sure, captain. I… don’t know how useful I am compared to a member ‘ah the first interstellar ship ever, but I’ll do mah best.”

“At the bottom of the Memorial building is a central hallway. Follow it to the end. There’s a metallic sphere on the floor there—find somewhere safe in that building to make into a research room, and study it. Bring any machines from camp you need, but don’t go anywhere near the… place where we found you. So long as you stay away, you should be clean.”

A pause, then. “Is that it?”

“Yes. But don’t do anything that might permanently damage the sphere, or activate it, or bring it anywhere near camp. It has… adverse effects. It didn’t do anything to Node though, so I have reason to believe you should be immune too.”

“Sure, Twilight. So long as I get some time with my sis… I can do that.”

Twilight had a few hours to herself, before it came time to decide what would happen in the meantime.

1. Grab a remote terminal and try to research the mind-spells necessary to shut out the voices.

2. Pinkie says she thinks she found where Applejack’s Leg has got to. Time for a hunt.

3. Rigorously interrogate Apple Bloom for as much information as possible about Equestria, her mission, and anything else that might relevant.

(Certainty 225 required)

Author's Note:

This entry's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/17617794

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next