• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,743 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,743

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 46

Stay in orbit until Applejack's condition can be properly diagnosed. 70%

Twilight stared down at the medical report, occasionally squinting at the close dots in the printout. “This is a joke, right? Pinkie Pie put you up to…”

“I didn’t,” Pinkie called from across the large central area. She’d been zipped into the sleeping bag for the last few hours, apparently not actually asleep. “Wasn’t me.”

Fluttershy glared over the printout at her. “I wouldn’t joke with a patient’s health, captain. These are the results. I’m getting confirmation from the tissue samples I exposed. And no, it wasn’t in her medical history from before. Every member of this expedition was completely healthy when it began.”

Is Applejack’s sickness serious? No.

According to the report in from her, Applejack wasn’t going to die of some alien disease. She wouldn’t die at all, at least not assuming she continued to receive even the most basic medical care. Applejack had the flu.

“This shouldn’t be possible,” Twilight said. “We were quarantined for six months before the mission launched. We weren’t supposed to bring anything with us.” They’d been some of the most exciting months of Twilight’s life—though she hadn’t been able to see anypony directly, family and friends from all over the system had visited Canterlot Station to see her off. She’d been able to hug them from inside an environmental suit, or to sit with them for hours if she didn’t mind the plastic barrier in the way. It was the first time all seven of the Equinox’s crew were together in the same place.

“I didn’t forget,” Fluttershy said, a little annoyed. “But do you think Cozy Glow was too? If she was being sent to make sure we never came home, I don’t think they would’ve cared. So she infected Applejack, and probably all of us too. And if we’re not infected yet, we’ll probably come down with it eventually. It’s a good thing we weren’t sent to establish a sterile colony, because we would’ve failed.”

That was an intentional choice. No stallions aboard meant that returning home would be more of an imperative, and giving up would be all the more unthinkable. Twilight hadn’t been happy with the restriction, but she didn’t control every aspect of its planning. Starlight Glimmer had invented that rule, along with so many other restrictions.

“So we can let her out,” Twilight said. “There’s no reason she should be locked into a tent. She survived, the tissue samples survived… we’re safe. Proximus B is safe for farming.”

“Accepting that we’re all almost certainly doomed to come down with the same severe strain of the flu… yes. It’s quite likely that we were already exposed, when Applejack was. I only worry about…” she trailed off, looking meaningfully across the ship.

“I know you’re talking about me,” Pinkie Pie called, voice weak. “Twitch tail, itchy eye. Doesn’t matter if you don’t say it.”

Of course, because that made sense. But Twilight didn’t argue with her. Fluttershy was right—Pinkie Pie had barely been alive when she woke up. Had she come down with the flu right then, it almost certainly would’ve killed her. Little miracles.

“I’m not sure about safe, though…” Fluttershy went on. “Maybe the microbiome isn’t fatal. Maybe the air is clean enough to breathe and has the right mixture of gasses. Nopony has ever grown something in another biosphere before. Every other planet in our system was sterile when we got there. We’re the pioneers, and that’s always a dangerous place to be.”

“I know,” Twilight said. “But that’s what we came here to do. Why don’t you give Applejack the good news?”

Twilight would’ve loved to deliver that announcement herself—but Fluttershy deserved it. Every now and then a doctor got to deliver some good news.

But they weren’t ready to touch down right there—even if that was what Applejack wanted, Twilight wanted to be sure. She nudged Node with the edge of one hoof, waking it from its hibernation state. “Node, I need to talk.”

It was hard to say how trustworthy the creature was. Twilight still wasn’t even sure she believed what it had told her last time. At least Applejack was here for this conversation, even if it was with a runny nose and occasional coughing.

“I am listening,” Node said.

“First…” Twilight sat down in front of it, looking straight into the cameras. Hopefully there wasn’t anything offensive about the gesture when translated into its culture. “When we spoke last time, you said you were created weeks ago. You said you had no parents, and that you ‘creators’ were a different kind of life from yourself. Is that true?”

“Approximately.”

“Quit beatin’ around the bush,” Applejack stepped right up to it, pushing Twilight slightly to one side. “Is it true or ain’t it that you’re some kinda… mechanical life? Not a livin’ creature talking to us through the radio?”

“No,” Node said. “Your definition for life has several qualifications, among which is the ability to reproduce. I lack this ability, or the drive. I am, therefore, not alive.”

“What you ain’t doin’ is answering our questions,” Applejack said, before another wave of coughs silenced her. Twilight tried to speak, but she just put out one leg, glaring. “I don’t care about no textbook definition of nothin.’ Whoever wrote that book ain’t here. Are you artificial life or ain’t you?”

“I am not using any radio communication. Only the hardware you see before you presently holds this consciousness.”

Even Applejack had no response to that. The other members of the crew had barely been doing their work—but now they too were staring, with just as much disbelief.

A computer that could fit inside a starship was incredible. A computer big enough to hold a mind

This is the most important thing we’re bringing back with us, Twilight thought. It’s the part that destroys Equestria, added another part, in Cozy Glow’s voice.

“Secondly,” Twilight said, before she could get distracted, or Applejack could get into an argument with it. She levitated the map of the little green patch. “We plan on landing here. Is it safe?” Node had suggested its memory was damaged, but that hadn’t stopped it from knowing where to land. Maybe it knew more about its planet than that.

Node had no head to shake, no face to read. But the more it spoke, the more emotion she imagined she could hear in Starlight Glimmer’s recorded voice. “No part of Zerzura is ‘safe’ as you define it. You have chosen as adroitly as possible with limited information. Harvester will not be present. Stable. Nothing would live there otherwise.”

Applejack met her eyes, question obvious on her face.

We know the planet’s name. They’d actually learned something today.

1. Land and begin farming. Node said nowhere was safe, but orbit is somewhere too. If we’re unsafe anyway, we might as well be doing something productive at the same time. Besides, being around living things will be good for everypony’s morale.

2. Risk is unacceptable, abandon farming on the ground. We could try to do something in the cargo bay instead, wait for the Prospector that way. Won’t be as productive, and it will probably hurt morale, but at least nopony will be dead.

3. Farming is stupid, Zerzura has a bucking orbital ring. We’re going to figure out how to dock with it. If there’s any civilization left in this system, it’s there. Presumably that ring has the Signalers on it too.

Author's Note:

This chapter's poll!

https://www.strawpoll.me/17279829

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next