• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,741 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,741

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 39

Applejack 36%

Twilight wasn’t sure she was ready. On the other side of that airlock door was an alien world—a place that had once overflowed with life. A city big enough to hold a billion, billion ponies, all gone cold and dead with the unstoppable advance of time.

It was the moment this mission had been preparing her for, in many ways. It was the ultimate goal of their trip.

“Why are we stationary?” asked the probe from in front of her. It had been fitted with a radio transmitter, that would repeat anything it said over their suit channel whether it wanted to or not. It had transmission equipment of its own, at least it seemed to, but so far it either hadn’t understood or hadn’t been willing to use that. “There is achievement outside. Stability.”

“I don’t understand this thing,” Applejack muttered. The farmpony had fitted bits of hard plastic armor over the hazmat suit—probably enough to stop a low-caliber bullet or accidental debris from breaching the suit. The air was breathable, and apparently there was nothing to be worried about on the surface—but until the cultures came back clean, they were going to be cautious. “It doesn’t talk like a civilization that’s unlocked all the mysteries of the universe or whatnot. Don’t the scientists back home think they know what a pony like that would look like? Total understandin’ of all the virtues of friendship or… somesuch.”

Twilight shrugged, then smacked one hoof against the release. Air hissed out in front of them, and the door slid up in front of them. A ramp already descended all the way down to the planet’s surface, with metal glinting in the light of an alien sun. There was a thin layer of dirt on the alien highway, but surprisingly little for the age of the ruins.

There’s no plantlife. No carbon cycle, no water cycle. Only oxidation. She settled her magic against the cart, and rolled it down.

The upper layer contained the probe, strapped down and secured with ample padding. The bottom section of the cart had two heavy saddlebags of supplies—enough for Applejack and herself to survive a week in the ruins if it came to that.

Applejack either didn’t know about the significance of the occasion, or didn’t care. She hopped down, landing on the dirt ahead of the cart. “Horseapples this hurts… on and off acceleration gravity just ain’t enough for this.”

“We’re looking at about… a hundred ten percent of Equus sea level,” Twilight said, following Applejack. “It would feel a little heavy even without that.” Twilight herself knew her body would be in just as much pain—were she not a unicorn. She’d been simulating normal gravity on herself almost as long as she’d been awake. Where the acceleration didn’t quite reach 1G, her powers could make up the difference. Her muscles weren’t atrophied.

It did feel like something was pushing on her, like she were wearing heavy saddlebags without even putting them on.

“Prospector to field team,” said Fluttershy’s voice. “Don’t forget.”

“Two days,” Applejack recited. “Any trouble, turn around.”

“Right,” Fluttershy said. “Pinkie says you should go left. I don’t know what that means, but she wouldn’t relax until I told you. Hear that, I told them. Prospector out.”

“We’re going straight,” Twilight said, not transmitting back on general channel. “I think so, anyway.” She reached up with a hoof, tapping on the metal. “Hey, uh… probe? Are we going the right way?”

“Currently, yes,” the device answered. “Watch the inner lanes for access ramps down into the superstructure. Follow the violet lines.”

“We should ‘a just dropped it down here in an escape pod,” Applejack muttered darkly. But Twilight could see now that would’ve been fruitless—the probe couldn’t move on its own, and there was clearly nothing alive here on the surface. It would’ve just smacked down onto the cement and rotted away there, their mission undone.

They started walking. Her companion winced and occasional landed up against a concrete divider, or against the cart for support, and her breathing sounded heavy when they took frequent breaks. But Earth Pony magic was a powerful thing—where others would’ve needed physical therapy and a long course of medication, Applejack could muscle through. She probably wouldn’t even be worn out by the time they made it back.

“I realize I don’t know what to call you,” Twilight said, as they began trailing down a long, gently curved ramp. So gently that she almost didn’t realize they were turning at first. How fast were their vehicles moving to turn like this. “Do you have a… name? Your species, or… whatever you are.”

“Of course I do,” the speaker answered. “I am Node. This is not a true name, obviously, but it should be pronounceable by your species. It will suffice.”

Celestia it actually answered me. Maybe listening to it would pay off after all. Finally the stupid machine wasn’t just ignoring them.

“Node,” Applejack repeated. “Where are you, Node? Like, really. Where are you transmittin’ from?”

“Transmitting…” Node repeated. “There is… no transmission at present. A survey of functional planeside hardware was required to locate our destination. No more transmission is required at this time.”

“I think what Applejack means is—where is the person who is controlling this device,” Twilight supplied. “You answer with minimal delays, so I’m guessing you’re close. Two thousand kilometers from here, or less.”

The ramp had finally taken them under cover of the first layer—though there was still enough space overhead that the entire Prospector could’ve flown here if they needed it to. All the while Twilight could see the faint overlay of their destination coordinates, superimposed on the world in front of her like a distant, static point.

“No transmission is required at this time,” Node said again, as though that were an answer.

Twilight resisted the urge to argue with it a little more. There was a long way left to go, and the road up ahead was thickly packed with rubble.

As they emerged onto the lower highway, Twilight’s questions over the location of the vehicles vanished. Here they were—numberless machines, all packed in so tight that in some places there was no free path to walk. They were fully enclosed, like little aircraft, though each rested on the cement.

Twilight now had to make a choice.

1. Investigate the highway for more information about the aliens and their technology.

2. Follow the ramp deeper to try to find a clear path forward.

3. Applejack suggests searching for an intact-looking machine and trying to get working again, instead of walking any further. It ain't like they weren't put down here for a reason. Good money says there's somethin' in this whole mess that can fly.

4. Ignore the global positioning directions and take the first available left turn.

(Certainty 205 required

Author's Note:

Feel free to use the comments to discuss, but note that I don’t count them for the purposes of what happens next. If you want to make your voice heard, make sure you do it in the poll. This entry’s poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/17122945

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next