• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,751 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,751

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 118

Refuse the Bargain 69%

Some part of Twilight was tempted by what the speaker offered. The essence of Hunger? Embodiment of entropy? She was the only princess left to make decisions, and she could guarantee the safety for Equestria’s survivors forever. A powerful temptation.

She probably would’ve taken the deal, if it wasn’t for Node. In her was an echo of their past, their creators. The others like her had sacrificed much to give Equestria life. Could she decide for ponies and griffins and changelings and every other creature to betray those creators? Not a bucking chance.

“Why would you make me an offer like this?” Twilight asked. “You’ve almost won. Equestria only has one ship left, and the creatures on it. When it’s destroyed, you win.”

Buzzing motors roared overhead, scattering dirt around them. Yet her companion’s mane didn’t lift, and no dirt touched him. “You misunderstand what I am and what I desire. This is not surprising—biology does not furnish your kind with the means to comprehend other forms of… complexity. All you need to know is this: this offer is not extended often, and it is not eternal. When you get on that plane, our business is concluded one way or the other.”

The aircraft settled lightly onto rough metal stilts, and gullwing doors opened on either side. There was nopony inside—no pilot, no passengers. Just old cushions ripped and torn.

“Can’t you just leave us alone?” Twilight asked, almost tearful. “We don’t even understand you! We can’t be a threat to you. Just forget we met.”

The pony sighed, exasperated. “So you aren’t interested. A pity. You’re a unique achievement, individuality that will leave the universe poorer once extinguished. Reconsider now, and that need not ever happen.”

“I won’t,” Twilight said, crossing onto the aircraft and spinning to glare at him. “We probably would’ve if you asked before Equestria was lost. But you’re the reason my mentor is dead. The reason that… so many other ponies died. It isn’t Celestia’s fault this planet isn’t here anymore, it’s yours.”

The pony shrugged. “C’est la vie. Enjoy your trip, Twilight Sparkle. It is nearly complete, after all.” The metal door whined as it hissed closed around her. The sounds melted and blurred in her mind, and suddenly she was on her back. She heard the steady beeping of a life-support monitor, accelerating for a moment with whatever heartbeat it was reading, then settling again once she began to breathe regularly again.

She jerked upright, wide-eyed as she looked around.

Twilight had known this hospital well, long ago. She’d got her first immunizations here; been taken here every time a spell surge worried her parents about brain damage.

In those days, urgent care was always filled with other ponies, who’d taken some minor injury or illness. A dozen different doctors would throng about, consulting with the needy.

Only her bed was illuminated now, her body strapped down with the loose plastic meant to keep her from drifting away, or to keep her still if something strange happened to the Canterlot’s orbital path.

A metal door hissed open, and Fluttershy flew through, no longer wearing one of the jumpsuits of the Equinox, but a standard doctor’s jacket. She stopped beside the bed, consulting the medical readings before even saying anything.

Twilight opened her mouth to speak, before she realized that there was a mask on her face. Her body was wired to life support through the inside of her hindlegs, just as she would be if she were going into a cryocoffin. Twilight ripped off the mask, earning herself a glare from Fluttershy. “How long?” she asked, her voice hoarse and grating even to her own ears.

“Almost a month,” Fluttershy said absently. “I was beginning to fear you wouldn’t wake. You didn’t respond to any of the standard drugs, and the supply of magical remedies is long gone. I didn’t know an Alicorn even could be stuck in coma like that.”

Twilight nodded, settling back against the hospital bed. Her whole body was weak and sore, and not even counting the interface between herself and life support. “You’re… not wearing an oxygen mask.”

“No longer necessary,” Fluttershy said, between readings. “Repairs to the Canterlot’s life support have made the air breathable again. Despite… interference.”

“What happened to me?” Twilight asked. “I was…” before being back in Equestria, she’d been… investigating something. A pony had wanted to show her something. Then… then it got hazy.

“You were attacked. One of the shiprat unicorns hit you with some kind of…” Fluttershy shook her head. “I’m afraid he isn’t alive to interrogate, and the Canterlot’s sensors gave us no hints. When they called me in, your suit was shredded, but you didn’t look hurt.”

“It took a whole month to get the air working?”

Fluttershy didn’t answer for a long moment. She crossed to a set of drawers, removing vial and a needle and carrying them over. A mild sedative from the label, or at least mild for an Alicorn’s constitution. She only spoke as she prepared her dose. “The one who attacked you, he had… accomplices. They call themselves the inheritors—group of crazy ponies who think that all the frozen creatures are totems and gods or whatever and that we’re damning them by changing things. Rainbow and Applejack captured a few. I’m not sure if there are others still hiding. But there hasn’t been any other sabotage than the attack that hit you.”

Twilight watched as Fluttershy injected her IV, feeling the rush of cold fluid in her veins a moment later. “Why are you… trying to put me out again?”


“Because you need more sleep,” Fluttershy said. “Now that I know you’re not braindead. I’ll get the crew together for you, and you can be captain again tomorrow. If there are any orders you’d like to pass along first…”

1. Leave the Inheritors to rot in the brig. Once everything is repaired and we’re on our way, maybe we’ll see about rehabilitating them. They’re not worth the trouble right now.

2. Space them. We can’t afford showing weakness, and sabotage of life support is unacceptable. Everypony knows what happens when you buck with the air supply.

3. Try to bring them around now. They might’ve tried to kill me, but there are too few ponies left to sacrifice any. Maybe with some convincing they would change their minds.

Author's Note:

This chapter's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18991090

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next