• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,743 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,743

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 90

Twilight isn’t going to give up her crew.

“Hold one minute, Fluttershy,” Twilight said. “I’m going to make the jump now. If you don’t hear back from me, it means I’m dead or I won’t be able to make the trip in time. Freeze them. If I live through this… then I’ll update you. The ring is full of air, I can extract it without going to the planet. There’s still time.”

“We don’t need much,” Sunset’s voice cut in over the line. “I finished repairs to the whole atmospheric system. Medical deck is sealed. Rest of the Equinox is still bucked to Tartarus, but… we don’t need to pressurize it all at once.”

“Right,” Twilight said. “So wait… five minutes, let’s make that the order. Five minutes, and you can get to work freezing everypony. Start with the healthiest first. Give them… the best chance we can.” Twilight closed her eyes, shuddering inwardly. She could only imagine the consequences of failure here. Half her friends might die, or maybe all of them. But what choice did she have?

“I’m ready to jump. Spike, I want position, heading, velocity. I’ll need them.”

He responded instantly, with precise readings from the Equinox’s laser rangefinder. So at least the damn stowaway hadn’t flown outside to kick their sensor array to pieces before getting herself killed.

Twilight Sparkle turned in the indicated direction, using the compass inside her helmet. Her air was ticking down again, but that was hardly her first concern. If she missed this jump, she would die in space. Her friends would be frozen, and the mission would be a failure.

“If I don’t… if I can’t do this…” she whispered. “Listen to Sunset, if you can. She… was a captain. Probably knows… what’s going on. More than I do.”

She switched off the radio, staring out into the void. She imagined another, friendlier abyss, outside Canterlot Station. Princess Celestia beside her in space, hovering without a suit or any other protection. She brought her own air, her own shield so subtle the bubble wasn’t even visible.

Twilight herself was awkward and gangly with her newly acquired wings. Her suit felt like it didn’t fit, and she was constantly tripping over herself. If she had new powers being an Alicorn, she’d barely even known it then.

“To teleport further than you can see, you must see space as few unicorns do. You must understand that every division is an illusion. All points are circumscribed through space. We are all everywhere, at every moment. Whether you poke through that everywhere to Canterlot Castle or the station tethered to it, it is the same.”

Her tutor vanished, leaving Twilight alone in the void.

Equus vanished from beneath her, replaced with a world of gray instead of green. The ring stretched out close, another planet unto itself. Strange magic had captured her once, when surely her teleport should’ve gone to nowhere. Would it try to capture her again?

Twilight pictured her diagram, holding it in her mind so firmly that it seemed to appear in the air before her as a physical thing. Four spatial dimensions instead of three, and the invisible shunt that would change her positional values in the three. But where every previous long-range trip was made with profound familiarity with the location, this one was just a ship. A distant, drifting ship.

Her friends’ only chance.

Twilight cast her spell.

Can Twilight land on the Prospector safely? Yes.

Twilight smacked into a steel bulkhead at exactly three meters per second. She grunted and groaned, ignoring the impact alarms from her suit. The metal flung her forward, though not as quickly, and suddenly she was drifting through a cargo bay.

The cargo bay of the Prospector.

Twilight was worn from days of exhaustion, barely even alive at this point. But she wasn’t done quite yet. There was one work yet to do.

Twilight engaged her magnetic horseshoes, landing with a thump on the deck-plating. She trudged forward, passing through the cargo bay door and into the cockpit.

Some of the panels she saw showed red lights, damage from Cozy Glow’s explosion. But there were a few that caught her eye, the most important.

Propulsion: online.
Communications: online.

She almost cried as she fumbled into her seat, strapping herself down and switching to the Prospector’s transmission booster. “This is Twilight Sparkle aboard the HMS Prospector. Equinox, can I have a heading to my last position? I’m going to pump air from the ring.”

Even Spike sounded relieved as he finally answered. “On the way, Prospector.”

Fluttershy cheered into the radio. “You made it!” She was as loud as ever, but just now Twilight found that a relief. “Does that mean the ship is—”

“She’s intact,” Twilight answered. ”As much as we care about, anyway. I wouldn’t want to try a full burn through an atmosphere, but she’ll do. I’m on my way back.”

The next few hours were a blur. Twilight brought the prospector to where she’d exited through the broken docking bay, then tethered the ship with a mining grapple while she ran the huge plastic extraction hose into the broken docking bay. Nothing from the ring attacked her, and after a few hours of work, she was on her way back.

She didn’t have a working docking harness to attach to anymore, but that didn’t stop her. Twilight brought in the Prospector near the lowest level, directly to life support, and attached a different hose to a completely undamaged port.

Then she waited, while the sound of hissing gasses ran through the hoses beneath her and into the Equinox’s atmospheric processing tank.

“Air seems safe,” Spike said, after a minute. “Safe as we’ll get, anyway. Now how about getting me fixed, captain. I’m basically bleeding into space right now.”

Twilight would be resting first regardless, but after that.

1. “It’s our priority, Spike. Seal every breach before we even think of anything else.”
2. “I completely agree Spike, that’s why we have to wake up the others first. What you really want is an engineer fixing you, not me.”
3. “I think we should probably go back to the ring and extract more information first.”
4. Sunset suggests beginning full burn acceleration for Proximus C, promising that they can fix the ship and she can explain everything along the way. “There’s nothing down there we need.”

(Certainty 210 required)

Author's Note:

This chapter's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18106063

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next