• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,744 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,744

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 23

Equinox Bill of Repair:
1. Hydroponics 8/8 COMPLETE
2. Repair the prospector 4/4 COMPLETE
3. Fully Refuel 2/20
4. Backup Cryogenics 0/4
5. Replace field equipment 0/2
6. Study of communications blackout 0/?

[In one month of repair time, Applejack has fully recovered from Cryosleep sickness, Twilight’s horn has completely healed. One month of nutrient paste has been used, another 3 months’ supply remain.]

Twilight adjusted the space suit a little tighter about her chest, wishing the standard design had done a little more to accommodate alicorns. As though just adding extra space for legs and horn was enough…

But she couldn’t rightly protest—this was her first visit to the mining site since the day Applejack had first anchored cables there. She needed to show support for the crew.

Out the airlock she went, into the sudden, uncomfortable silence of the air recyclers and the fluid heater in her suit. Far below, or at least it looked below, was Harmony’s Repost, an asteroid that had become a temporary home in the void. She could see the foil dome far below, doing its best to conserve heat against the unfathomable cold of space. There were several anchor lines, each one about a hundred meters out, and kept in tension so the asteroid wouldn’t drift closer to the Equinox and surprise them all with a few fresh hull breaches.

They were both down there now—the diligent Applejack and a Spike who would obviously rather keep working on the first assignment Twilight had given him. He was becoming almost obsessed with that thing. It’s not mind control he’s just excited, that’s all.

The nearest line had a motorized unit waiting, with an oversized clip meant to attach to a line from her suit. But Twilight’s horn was working now—she could afford to do what not even spacefaring pegasai could. She could fly.

She jumped, and that single push was enough to propel her “downward” towards the asteroid. What if I lost concentration right now? What if I failed a levitation spell like I failed to control the inertia on that starship? Then she would drift off and die alone, obviously. There was no Rarity around to rescue her, and skilled as Applejack was she was neither a pilot nor gifted with EVAs. It was all attached to a body for her, either starship or smaller.

But of course nothing like that happened to her horn, and after only a few more moments Twilight was approaching the asteroid. She needed a little more magic now, carefully directed force to cancel out what was left of her initial push. A bit of reversing direction, so that her hooves settled comfortably on the ice.

Well, comfortably enough so long as she was using her magic to keep her down. She’d be slipping and sliding all over the place without that help. “Cheating” as Rainbow called it. Well, she’d keep cheating, as she made her way over to the airlock and unzipped it carefully.

Inside was the prospector’s real airlock, so she didn’t have to rely on the questionable protection of a thin layer of plastic to separate her from the outside.

A few minutes of standing in place while air refilled, and she was in again.

Spike sat in only his jumpsuit in front of the ice-processor, with several oversized bins of ice all around him. He had a book open on the terminal in front of him, though he barely seemed to be reading. He brightened as she approached, turning to face her as she came in. But whatever he said was too muffled by her suit to be intelligible.

Twilight waved politely to him, making her way over and switching her suit to “external conversation” mode. “How’s the refining going?”

“Not as bad as being alone during an interstellar trip,” Spike admitted. “But almost as bad. At least I had the news from Equestria coming back, that was pretty interesting sometimes. This is just… ugh. If I knew we were gonna drop out of contact I would’ve ordered more books.”

Twilight nodded sympathetically—she had packed as many as her space on the computer allowed, but that was limited. “How close are we to done? Getting… a lot of argon out of that ice?”

Spike laughed bitterly. “My guess—two months of this. Two months sitting in this chair, running blocks through the machine. If we’re lucky.”

“We could switch to mining ore instead… build an external processor. One of those big…”

“Nope,” Spike cut her off. “I already asked her about that. But our chief engineer says it would be a waste of time and metal. This is the only time we do this. Once we go through a few more tons of rich ice, we’re done. We’ll have enough fuel to make it back home again, unless we spend a few decades circling Proximus first.”

He sat up. “Twilight, this is a waste of time. I just know that Signaler machine is going to change everything. But it can’t help us if we won’t even build it.”

Twilight imagined could see Cozy Glow’s face, a pale reflection in the glass terminal behind Spike. The promise of Equestria’s doom was still on her lips.

“We’ll be here a long time, Spike. There’s plenty of time to build it.”

He grumbled, folding his arms. “That’s what Applejack always says.”

Applejack was the real reason she was here. Twilight straightened, turning away. “I’ll be back in a few. Keep up the great work!” And she headed out, down the Prospector’s stairs. Everything was still strapped down around the ship—there was no gravity here, despite how easily she could pretend.

And out through another Airlock. There was air outside, in the growing pocket of excavated ice and ore that they worked. Twilight’s suit began to fog out its exhaust, and the fluid heaters began to struggle to keep up—a chilly atmosphere was much harder to keep warm in than the vacuum.

And there was Applejack—no space suit, though an emergency mask hung from her belt along with a spare tank. She worked a laser-saw with quick strokes, severing promising blocks of ice from the asteroid with ease.

“Ah, cap!” she grinned, settling it down. For all Spike had been dying of boredom, the prospector was all smiles. “I was hopin’ you’d show up. Got some good news.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah,” Applejack pushed off, drifting closer. She seemed entirely unaffected by the cold, though a thin layer of ice had formed on what little coat emerged from her thermal jumpsuit. “First batch a Geneseed is through the processor. It’s time to pick our lucky recruit.”

- Rainbow Dash (Climatology, Military)
- Fluttershy (Medicine, Linguist)
- Pinkie Pie (Geology, Insight)
- Rarity (Physics, EVA Expert)

(Confidence 150 required)

Author's Note:

Hey there ponies! Feel free to use the comments to discuss, but note that I don’t count them for the purposes of what happens next. If you want to make your voice heard, make sure you do it in the poll. This entry’s poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/16887486

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

And yes, this is a form-feed post I'm going to use from now on, so if it looks like my author's notes have this format in the future, you can just click the link. >.>

PreviousChapters Next