• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,755 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,755

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 70

This body was obviously falling apart, Twilight could see that as he walked slowly around the workshop. Wires occasionally sparked where he moved, and other sections showed obvious signs of wear. The basic structure of the body was the same as the one node had built for itself in those ruins, but other than that, there was very little in common.

Iron Horse began by reciting many of the same details that Apple Bloom had. Their crew arriving on the ring, figuring out how to mate with its airlock, traveling inside. The horrors of what they had discovered. Iron Horse did have a different perspective on some of it than Apple Bloom had.

“It was a manufactory, beyond any doubt. The ones who built it didn’t try to build a ring because they wanted to surround the planet. There’s a hook that rapidly orbits, that can transport cargo up and down for almost no energy. Proximus B is unusually dense with useful metals, which is probably why they chose it. There are shipyards up there, hundreds of them. And billions of bodies like this, hanging in storage. Wish I had a few replacements now…”

“Why?” Pinkie asked. She’d been far less afraid than Twilight, and she bounced around the workshop without fear. She even approached the animal-thing that had once been Applejack’s leg, though she didn’t get close enough to touch. That was just fine with the polecat-like creature, which didn’t seem to want her to get much closer to it anyway.

“Because its body is barely functional,” Node responded. “It looks like it has been spending most of its time in there—” Node gestured at the single active screen on the far side of the room, with a few alien cables trailing out of the opening. “And only transferring into the body we see when it has to.”

“Yes,” Iron Horse admitted. “The simulation is much better than this thing. Barely functional, a new system crashes every few weeks… I couldn’t tell you how many times I thought about never leaving again. Almost did, except for Squip here.” He reached out, affectionately stroking the metal animal’s back with one claw. “She showed up in the system one day, basically dragged me back to work. Couldn’t say no to that face.”

Twilight bit back acid in her throat at just how disturbing that implication was. What kind of mentality motivated a severed limb, anyway? It’s probably the original programming in the virus. Without brain material.

“Your crewmate, Apple Bloom, told us that you were infected upon landing,” Twilight prompted. “She amputated, you developed an infection, and she buried you.”

“Apple Bloom is…” there were no expression to read, but its camera turned and focused suddenly on Twilight, unblinking. “I probably… no. First duty is to the fleet, and you’re an Alicorn. I don’t know why she would’ve lied to you, princess. But… her story wasn’t accurate.”

We never found the body. He’s probably telling the truth.

Twilight tensed, then gently levitated the dial of her radio until it clicked off. “Please explain. If you’re really… Iron Horse, like you say you are.”

“She removed my leg,” he explained. “Something followed us from orbit. But it seemed… determined to infect us. When it became clear that a mundane infection was going to kill me, I…” he looked down, ashamed. “I suppose that’s why Apple Bloom lied about me. More respect for the dead. Greater dignity. I should thank her.”

“You can tell us,” Pinkie said, front right in front of the working screen. She occasionally prodded at the strange controls, a flat panel of tiny squares much too small to operate with a hoof, covered with the alien language. “Twilight is a great listener! She’ll listen to you!”

“The… sludge… was waiting outside the building. I was barely breathing by then, I think the infection was in my blood. I knew I… probably only had hours. Asked Apple Boom to… try and make something useful out of my death. I told her to leave me outside, and watch. Maybe the… sludge wouldn’t kill me, like it killed the others. Or maybe there was some kind of life waiting on the other side. Anything was better than nothing.

“She waited, trying to save me until the end. When she couldn’t… she did what I asked. That thing came for us the instant we were outside. I swear it must’ve got onto her suit, but I didn’t see much after that…”

Iron Horse described a process very similar to the one that had afflicted Apple Bloom, with one notable exception.

“It didn’t make me a body. When the pain stopped, I was… still there, but not there. Alive, but… disembodied. I could feel something with me, like a… a helpful presence. Probably sentimental, but… I like to think it was the spirit of Bulwark, looking out for the crew even after his death. I couldn’t go into the building, something kept pushing me away. But I could feel… warmth, almost, not too far away. This computer,” he nodded towards it. “I found I could… climb inside, control all the systems here. Leave it again, into a body like this. Or the one I’m building.”

“Apple Bloom will be so happy you’re alive,” Pinkie said. “She was… really depressed about losing her whole crew. She felt like a failure.”

“She didn’t fail us, we failed her.”

Twilight hesitated. This could be a pony. The story Iron had presented to them did seem at least consistent with most of the facts they’d heard. But there was no way to verify it. It could be deception, maybe a way to infiltrate their ranks. And Apple Bloom had lied to her.

We have no guarantee that infection leaves anything of the original pony behind. What if it harvested the real Apple Bloom’s memories, and has been manipulating us with them ever since. It might still be trying to kill us.

She had to make a call.

1. Invite Iron Horse to return to the crew (+ Morale Apple Bloom, RISKS UNKNOWN)

2. Node suggests making another body like hers for the pony, also permitting them to return to the crew (+ Morale Apple Bloom and Iron Horse, RISKS UNKNOWN)

3. Detonate the power matrix intentionally, destroying the cavern. Teleport out with Pinkie before the blast.

(Certainty 230 required)

Author's Note:

This chapter's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/17653540

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next