• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,755 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,755

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 91

Seal the hull breaches 54%

Twilight rested on a medical bay cot. She couldn’t have said how long she slept, only that her body was barely working as it was and if she didn’t sleep, she would’ve died instead.

Twilight heals all bashing damage and all damage incurred by exhaustion.

Waking up surrounded by her unconscious friends and coworkers certainly wasn’t a pleasant experience, but at least she woke up. The air was still flowing. Cozy Glow had failed in her work.

She ate emergency rations beside Sunset Shimmer. Fluttershy hadn’t left her patients and didn’t seem terribly interested in breakfast.

“We’re not leaving until we patch up the ship,” she said, over the fresh bar of pressed oats. This was one of the new ones they’d made on Proximus B, rather than the ancient ones sealed away in reflective silvery packaging for an unknown number of years. The taste was earthy and fresh under her tongue, a reminder of what she’d left behind. And why she needed to fight so hard to get her friends back.

“It’s not rational,” Sunset said, in that infuriating ‘I know better than you’ tone she’d had since she was Celestia’s other apprentice. Her older, smarter, better in every way apprentice. The one who had set out to become an Alicorn and had a real chance of achieving it. “Your stowaway might’ve been clever with her hooves, but she wasn’t an engineer. All eight critical structural junctures are perfectly sound. So long as we don’t go near any atmosphere or a radiation belt, we can fly just like this. We’ll get those holes patched long before we get to C.”

Twilight could imagine Spike’s eyes watching from behind her shoulder. There were dozens of cameras in this medical bay, and they’d all be pointed at her right now. “Maybe if the Equinox was just a ship, we could do that. But I know you’ve been hearing that voice in your head. That’s one of my crew, or he was.”

Sunset’s expression grew uncomfortable. Twilight recognized this too—she was in territory she didn’t understand. Sunset reached to one side, scratching at the junction between her shriveled torso and one of her other implant legs. By weight, she was 80% mechanical herself, at least.

Twilight seized on her silence. “Spike gave his life for this mission. He’s the reason Cozy didn’t destroy the Equinox completely. Now, for reasons outside his control, he’s almost become the Equinox. He feels its pain. We can’t fly without repairing him first, and that’s my final decision.”

Sunset opened her mouth, and Twilight spread both wings, silencing her. “I’m still the captain of this ship, Sunset. I’m entirely in command of this mission. I respect what you know, and everything you’ve accomplished. But you won’t be taking over this position or ordering me to do anything. Are we clear?”

Sunset nodded curtly. “I think we’re clear, Twilight. I can see you haven’t changed. And neither have I. The difference is, I was there when Equestria needed me, and you were lost in space.”

Twilight winced, but she couldn’t let it bite her. She hadn’t had any power in her confinement here. If she’d been able to be in Equestria when everything happened, she would’ve done it in an instant. “Why don’t you tell me all about it while we work?” she asked, tossing the empty wrapper into disposal. “You fixed the air recycler; I assume you know how to weld emergency plates?”

Sunset didn’t argue further. Half an hour later and both of them were in internal no-ox suits—thin plastic versions of the EVA suits, without any of the insulation against heat or radiation. Well, Twilight was, anyway. Sunset had Rarity’s EVA training, and all she brought was a little backpack with an air cylinder and her concentration to hold a spell.

“I’ve designed a plan to seal my internal space as rapidly as possible,” Spike said over the radio, the instant they’d dressed and prepared. “The docking ring has the worst damage by far—I think Cozy forgot about Unicorn teleportation and thought that would making boarding and disembarking impossible. If you seal it off, I’m only detecting five other breaches we need to deal with. Unfortunately there are others, others we’ll only know about once we seal the big ones and we can start depressurizing. But smaller holes will be easier to patch.”

They set to work. There was plenty of emergency plate in the cargo bay, enough to patch far more of the Equinox’s external spaces than just the holes Cozy’s explosives had made.

“So tell us, what happened to Equestria?” Twilight asked, once they were working. Not together—Twilight didn’t really want to work alongside a pony like Sunset. But if she’d been trusted enough to be made captain, she could trust her welds.

Sunset didn’t answer for a long time. “Well first there’s your mission. While you flew off to Proximus, the Mercury Forge finally became a thing, building ships got way easier after that, which is bucking fortunate considering what came next.”

Twilight waited with bated breath, her torch hovering in the air in front of her, unused. “Which was…”

Are ponies immune? No. Resistant? No.

“Darkness,” Sunset Whispered. “Worse than anything you fought. Worse than nightmare moon, worse than… well, you get the idea. Really, you should be thanking ponies like me who lived out in the rim, because if it wasn’t for us there wouldn’t be any Equestria. Every rebel and refugee and outcast who wanted their own rock instead of living by your rules, we started dying. But only on one side of the system. Not all at once—it got the young and old first, and the weak. But it spread, a creeping, invisible death.”

Twilight remembered I҉͢ŅS̡͞Í͟Ǵ̕̕͝H̸̢̀T́҉̷͞. She had seen this darkness, spreading across the stars. It might’ve been the thing the Signalers wanted to warn them about in the first place. But hadn’t that one been faster? Maybe the signalers were stronger than ponies. There could’ve been a wake through the thaumic field. Or maybe she was completely wrong.

“We had some, uh… some conflicting translations of the signal figured out by then. But the only translation that gave us any hope was the warning. The signalers weren’t threatening us, they knew something was coming, and they were calling us here to offer help. Your mission was dead by then, long failed. We didn’t know if it was safe. But we didn’t have another choice. My ship—we were sent ahead. Proximus was directly away from the danger, that couldn’t be a coincidence.”

“Ahead of what?” Twilight asked weakly, slumping to the floor and dropping her torch. As though leaving her family behind hadn’t been bad enough, now Equestria itself was dead? Why even keep working. “We can’t evacuate the system. If something is killing everypony, and we can’t stop it… they must’ve all died.”

“Well… I don’t know,” Sunset admitted. “I know there were ambitious plans, based on some of the latest advances in cryonics and thaumic fusion. But they were just plans, and I was preparing for my own mission. We had a traitor on board—” she trailed off. “But that isn’t important. I was going through your logs—you really should’ve protected some of this, by the way—you found my locational transponder. That device I was carrying, that was how I was meant to find the Equestrian expedition, if it arrived. The entangled spells can only be cast the once, and then they collapse. But it’s fine you used it, because it’s in system! They made it—straight to the most resource-rich part of the system! That’s why we need to go there now!”

Twilight could set a course when they finished patching the Equinox’s holes, or…

1. Wake up her crew first, somehow.
2. Gather anything left behind on Proximus B first. (note, most resources have been ferried by regular supply shipments. Only camp infrastructure and the Equinox’s land defenses remain)
3. Go as soon as the hull is repaired.

(Certainty 205 required)

Author's Note:

This chapter's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18134492

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next