• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,753 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,753

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 56

Call Applejack immediately 43%

Twilight had an awful feeling about this. As she removed the radio from her pack and switched it back on, she could feel the beginnings of nausea in her chest, and the tension in her limbs. It was the feeling she always got when she knew there was going to be conflict. But there was nothing for it. The Equinox’s chief engineer relied on trust more than anypony else aboard. There could be no softening the truth for her, no beautiful lies. If Twilight kept this secret and Applejack discovered she had lied about it, she would lose her trust forever.

“I am going to investigate the samples in the space behind,” Node said, turning to go. “I will remain close.” He didn’t wait for permission, just walked off. Twilight sighed, but didn’t try to stop him. She twisted the dial on the radio, holding it out. Would the Signaler building block her transmission?

No. Fluttershy’s voice came in over the line immediately, harsh and insistent. “—can’t hide forever. Captain Twilight Sparkle, your friends are very worried about you.”

How long had she been talking? Twilight waited for her to finish, then pressed down the transmission button. “This is Twilight, calling the Prospector. Come in.”

“Twilight, thank Celestia,” Applejack’s voice answered first, with a little bit of a gravely cough. “Was about to come up and get ‘ya. Thought maybe that building had swallowed you er somethin’”

“No. So far as I can tell the building doesn’t have defenses that trigger when we visit. There are some sections that might hurt somepony if they used them incorrectly, but… I stayed safe. This was only a scouting mission.”

There was a brief silence, then Fluttershy. “There’s a full medical and psychological evaluation waiting for you when you get back, captain. I can’t imagine you’re still of sound mind if you’re doing things like this.”

It was now or never. She wavered on the fence for a few more seconds, then winced and went for it. “There’s something in the building that… I just wouldn’t feel right not telling you about. I can give the rest of the report when I get back, but… Applejack, you deserve to know.”

Another silence, this one longer. Eventually Applejack responded. “Now why would I deserve to know, specific? Way I see it, we’re all in this together. Unless… you found out what the flu is. You know I’m not gonna make it. Is that it?”

“No!” she didn’t have to deliberate over that one. “Nothing like that, Applejack. It’s—”

“Something you should tell us when you get back,” Fluttershy interrupted. “You shouldn’t be stressing yourself after the mission. Why don’t you come back here?”

Twilight jumped at the chance, but she was too late. “No, Fluttershy. I wanna know. Captain wouldn’t say somethin’ like that casual like. She means it.”

She could only imagine the argument taking place back in the Prospector. “There’s a biological exhibit in here. Past it, there’s… an alien stasis device. Your little sister, Apple Bloom, is here. She looks alive, but…” how could she even describe the metal tendrils frozen in their crawl up her leg? “She doesn’t look well.”

Does Applejack take the news well? No.

“She’s in stasis though!” Twilight added, after a full minute of silence. “There’s really no need to do anything right now, Applejack. It looks like she’s already been here for a long time. I’m going to take pictures of everything back with me, and you can examine them. I’ll head back right now.”

Still there was silence.

Does she insist on coming right into the building despite her health? Critical Yes.

Twilight heard nothing over the radio for several minutes. When somepony finally spoke, it was an exasperated-sounding Fluttershy, out of breath. “She’s coming, Captain. I hope that was what you wanted. A pony who can barely walk, with her immune system compromised, marching a kilometer up to an alien structure. I’m struggling to imagine what you thought was going to happen.”

“I…” she whimpered, keeping ‘transmit’ off the radio. What had she thought would happen. “It just seemed like the right thing to do.”

“You’re supposed to be our commander,” Fluttershy snapped. “Treating ponies like foals is my job. I expected you to lead.” The line went dead. It stayed quiet for another twenty minutes or so, until Applejack’s voice returned, hacking and out of breath. “Where… are… you.”

Does she suffer health complications? Yes.
Applejack gains the trait Walking Pneumonia.

Twilight directed her. A few minutes later, and the door opened—Fluttershy trailing behind Applejack with a medical bag over her shoulder. Applejack herself had her tools, and a thin line of slime running down her front. She wiped her mouth with the back of one leg as she walked in, wavering a little on her hooves. But there was magic burning in her, enough Earth Pony magic to keep her standing. “Where is she?”

Twilight led the way to the single active stasis pod. Applejack leaned in towards the window, swearing under her breath. “We gotta get her out,” she said, settling her toolbox down and looking over the machine. “There’s, uh… gotta be a way to shut this thing down.”

Applejack set to work. She didn’t actually manipulate the strange controls. Rather, she walked over to one of the offline machines next to it, and started removing the metal shell. Light from the window beside them was slowly stained red by sunrise, then went out completely, and still she worked. She barely even seemed to see any of them standing there.

“Alright,” Applejack marched over to Twilight, after several straight hours of work on one of the other pods. “I need yer help, cap. And yours, Fluttershy. I got a pretty good idea what’s goin’ on here. I think all three of us workin’ together can get my sister out.”

1. Go with Applejack’s plan. Difficult engineering task from Applejack, easy magical task for Twilight, and difficult medical task for Fluttershy. [dangerous]

2. Put a stop to this. We have no idea what condition Apple Bloom is in. Getting her out now is insane. It’s time to be a leader. [-morale Applejack]

3. Seal Applejack in one of the other stasis pods. We can’t handle this right now. [-morale Applejack]

(Certainty 215 required)

Author's Note:

This chapter's poll!

https://www.strawpoll.me/17445957

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next