• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,743 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,743

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 107

Send an Unmanned Probe 61%

Twilight watched the little probe’s faint exhaust trail as it shot away from the Equinox, building speed for its descent into the atmosphere of Proximus C. She wasn’t the only one on the bridge—Rainbow was there with her hooves on the weapons. Sunset sat at the coms console, with Rarity on the science station and Node just sort of orbiting around.

Node’s new body demanded to be seen in a way that no synthetic pony could’ve. She’d made almost no compromises for the Equinox, even insisting on her old height for the body. That meant she was constantly having to float along vertically, or else scrape her head along the ceiling of every room.

It was easy to watch her and think that the Signalers really had returned from the dead. Thin body, two legs, four spindly arms, with a pale, hairless flesh that Twilight knew was just formed rubber of some kind. But knowing that and realizing it on an intellectual level was something completely different. From every casual observation, Node looked alive in a way that her plastic ponies never had. Her eyes seemed wet, her face seemed to flush with warmth at anger or embarrassment. Her limbs twisted and adjusted in subtle ways, and her chest lifted to breathing that Twilight knew she didn’t need.

Node glanced over her shoulder, grinning. “What is it, captain? Appreciating this awesome version of your uniform we made? All Rarity’s work. I just put it on.”

Twilight looked away. Some part of her wondered if making bodies was really the best use of their limited resources. But considering one of those was for Spike, who didn’t even seem to want to still be alive… she wouldn’t say anything. The computer would hear her.

“We’re through the dispersion layer,” Spike called, loud enough that everypony in the room went back to focusing on their work. “Signal booster is working. I’m assembling a composite now.”

“We can use the new screen,” Node said, holding up a piece of flat glass in two of her four paws for them to see. It was obviously meant to be a screen, though it wasn’t even as thick as a hoof. No way it could actually…

An image appeared there, filled with static around the edges and with bits and pieces coming in and out of focus. Twilight kicked off, drifting a little closer so she could get a good look.

There was no mistaking it. It wasn’t quite a starship, and it wasn’t quite a station. Canterlot had been turned into a ship, wrapped with metal pilons and several additional layers of armor and city that hadn’t been there before. The original mountain peak that had formed the city was still in there somewhere, though by the look of things it had been completely hollowed out.

The city wasn’t in good shape. Most of the outer sections were exposed to the swirling storms of the upper atmosphere, leaving only the shielded and armored sections in the middle apparently sealed off. She couldn’t see anything through the rigid windows, though the sensors did pick up some heat and energy readings from inside. Something was still working down there.

The probe kept going, past the inverted cone of the support layers of Canterlot Station. (Canterlot Capital Ship?). “Those black lines are energy readings outside the calibrated sensor range,” Spike supplied. “They appear to be tethering the Canterlot to the lower object. They’re providing structural support, though not total shielding. I’m reading significant degradation of Canterlot’s superstructure. Structural stability is… not guaranteed.”

The probe kept going, and the black lines of energy finally connected to something. The image here was further distorted by static and clouds of swirling gas, but Twilight could still see the general outline. This thing made the scale of the Canterlot look like a toy. A vast curtain of energy poured out one end, while hydrogen gas from the atmosphere around flowed in. A simplistic fusion torch, though one of such incredible scale that it boggled the mind. The probe showed a detailed view of a vast structure, with comparatively few internal air pockets. Most of it was infrastructure, with energy flowing out along struts that stretched away in all four cardinal directions from the instillation.

“What is it, Node?” Rarity asked. “The Ancients built this, did they not?”

“Yes,” She didn’t turn the screen around, though her eyes occasionally twitched, examining the empty air. She was connected to the central computer. Even with a body, she was still a little like a terminal. “Obviously. Those are our hyperstable alloys. It’s a…” She shook her head, folding the screen away. “You have no concept of it. There’s no point trying to explain.”

“Come on!” Rainbow glared at her. “Those might be the last ponies in the universe down there. If we’re going to get them free, we have to know what it is. Can’t you try?”

Node rolled her eyes. “It’s the endpoint of a Highway. One of the elementary solutions to the rocket problem.” She up the screen again, and seemed to draw along it with one of her spidery digits. “A proper endpoint would be built around a star. This is a… waystation. I don’t have a map, but I’m guessing it’s angled towards one of the existing routes. Lenses and boosters are built along the way, receiving matter and hydrogen and strengthening the beam. It’s all a battle against the inverse square law.”

But Twilight barely heard all that. It was certainly an interesting technology, reminding her a little of the foil-sail probes that smaller companies sometimes deployed in her home system. It was, rather, the location of the Canterlot. They’re parked right over the beam. If it switched on, the Canterlot would be utterly destroyed.

“Spike, is there any reason we shouldn’t send ponies down to Canterlot?”

“It’s incredibly dangerous,” Spike’s voice said. “But if you’re asking if it’s suicide—no. Parts of the vessel seem structurally sound. A crew with the right gear could penetrate the core.

“Might not be the right call,” Rarity suggested. “That, uh… Highway… is holding them. Maybe that’s where we should send our ponies.”

1. Dock the Equinox with Canterlot Station. We need all hooves to get her released as quickly as possible, no matter the risks. Our species depends on it.

2. Send a boarding crew to Canterlot Station. Saving that ship is important, but it’s just as important that we don’t get ourselves destroyed by accident. Without us, Canterlot is doomed.

3. Send a boarding crew to the Endpoint. We have to release the Canterlot before we can think about anything else.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the delay on this chapter, I've been occupied with moving and didn't have enough spare time to get to it right away.

This chapter's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18546296

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next