• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,742 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,742

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 52

Follow Twilight's magic underground 45%

“I don’t like any of the obvious paths,” Twilight said, turning away from the staircase up and the hallway deeper into the building. “Those might not show us the truth. But maybe if we can get behind all that…” she hesitated, closing her eyes for a second and following her horn. Yes, there was certainly something underground. It wasn’t that deep, they wouldn’t be climbing miles under the surface like last time.

She gestured, setting off in that direction. “What can you tell me about magic, Node? How much of it did your civilization have?”

Node followed without an argument, apparently content to search any part of the building so long as they were investigating it. But then again, without a face she could still only guess. “Magic is… hard to translate. It resembles aspects of… hardware. Your language is inadequate to describe machinery we built. The creators’ language was inadequate to describe ‘magic’.”

Inadequate. Does that mean it doesn’t exist, or just that they didn’t do much of it?

Twilight attempts a magic identification spell through the floor. Success

Though the magic was far away, through the floor and stone and who knew what else in terms of alien devices, she still recognized the spell. What is that doing there? The magic was weather-based, the most powerful she’d ever felt. There was only one other spell that could’ve ever rivaled it, from her visit to the Crystal Empire.

“Let me show you some,” Twilight said, sticking out one hoof. “I’m going to teleport us. Don’t move.”

“Teleport,” Node repeated. “This concept exists. But surely no organic could—” space fuzzed around them. Twilight kept her eyes closed, letting frost swirl around her. Opening a gate to somewhere she’d never seen was perilously risky business. Fortunately for her, the object she was sensing created a magical halo powerful enough that she could “touch” the space all around it. There was plenty of space to walk around surrounding the object, enough for her to put Node and herself and enough air to be sure it was safe.

She appeared with a harsh crack of air in a space almost completely dark. Except for the object in front of her, which cast a greenish onto everything. Every surface of the little square chamber had been coated with a thick layer of moss, fern, and other plants, growing bright green despite the near-total darkness and no visible irrigation system.

In the center of the room was a pedestal of sorts, containing a device unlike any she’d seen before. There was a metallic base, with the look of alien construction about its strange angles and exposed components. And floating over it was a crystal.

Twilight Sparkle had been wrong to think it was like the crystal heart. Twilight recognized it so well because it was the crystal heart. Its glow was green instead of blue, but the stone itself was exactly as she remembered it. Precisely the same width, the same height. She saw her own face reflected in the magical glow, enough to see the shock in her eyes.

“This can’t be here,” Twilight said, for the second time in a week. “I’ve seen this before.”

“That makes one of us,” Node said, from the wall.

Does Node notice? Success

It settled one of its grippers on Twilight’s shoulder, before she could move any closer. “Careful. Examine your appendages.”

Twilight glanced down, and realized that feelers of bright green were wrapping around her hooves where she’d moved closer to the heart. The effect had been so subtle she hadn’t felt it, but now that she noticed—she took off in a rush, ripping free of their grip and holding herself in the air. She watched the vines withdraw from her, and could almost imagine their predatory call of frustration. They ignored Node completely, even though it was just as close as she was.

“It’s an active spell…” Twilight muttered, as much for Node’s benefit as her own. “I remember this object requiring… the interaction of a civilization. The crystal ponies provided their love, and the object amplified it to protect the empire, mostly from weather.” There were no ponies here, no love, yet the heart was still active. Doing… something she’d never known it to do.

“How is an Equestrian artifact here?” Twilight asked.

“It was brought here, obviously. Likely by your own kind.”

Sunset’s ship.” Twilight muttered. “The Solstice. It could’ve been aboard.” Maybe, but there was no way this building had been theirs. And if ponies had put the heart down here, why not save their own from being frozen? “She might need to answer this for us.”

“Maybe,” Node responded. “I don’t think we should move this. I have examined the path behind us, and determined it is heavily fortified. The likelihood of a hostile reaction seems significant.”

“And you couldn’t disable something like that?”

Node didn’t shake its head, though its tone did sound doubtful. “This structure is interfaced with me, but I have visitor access only. I cannot issue commands.”

“Oh.” Twilight backed away from the furthest edge of moss, landing on her hooves again. “Visitor access, huh?” She removed a camera from her pack, snapped a few pictures, then stowed it again. “What does your access say this place is?”

“The… memorial,” it answered. “This is the best translation. Your species lacks the—”

Twilight ground her teeth together, glowering. “I get it. Does the memorial have a map?”

Node hesitated. “There… affirmative. I have located a map.”

“We’re not leaving this place until I learn everything we can,” Twilight muttered. “I think Fluttershy will probably try and give me forced medical leave after this stunt. I’ve got to make every moment count. What on that map sounds interesting?”

Node hesitated, then began to read.

1. Perseverance of Insight

2. Infusion of Stability

3. Alter of Perpetuity

4. IT HUNGERS IT HUNGERS IT HUNGERS IT HUNGERS IT HUNGERS IT HUNGERS IT HUNGERS IT HUNGERS IT HUNGERS IT HUNGERS

(Certainty 205 required)

Author's Note:

This chapter's poll!

https://www.strawpoll.me/17375925

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next