• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,753 Views, 4,801 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,801
 7,753

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 100

Reinforce the Reactor 59%

Repairs took about a day, a day Twilight spent helping members of her crew where she could. She spent most of her time with Pinkie in Hydroponics, replanting trays they had left sealed against their long time on the surface. They had at least five months of real food left in storage, certainly no reason to worry about abruptly running out. But the best way in Twilight’s mind to stay ahead of all that was to never fall behind.

Finally—though some part of her still ached slightly at the decision, she pointed out at the stars. “Give us an approach vector for gravitational capture near Proximus C,” she ordered. “If I can get it, I want flexibility in my approach vector. We may end up harvesting from those moons. I know you’d probably want it, Spike.”

“In the sense that I have a thousand constant warnings for every missing bit of armor and every damaged circuit aboard, yes,” Spike answered. “Repair is important.”

It wasn’t just Twilight alone on the bridge. Sunset Shimmer was there, along with Rarity. At least the freezer burned captain seemed to be healing into her implants well enough. She still had the look of somepony surviving only with the aid of medical science, but she never seemed to mind. Twilight would’ve had much less to worry about if she hadn’t seen the number of painkillers in her prescription schedule.

The large projection screen at the far end of the bridge flashed, then filled with the string of numbers that was their course. “Vector calculated at three months, fuel expenditure 13 percent of remaining. Only yellow value in my probability tensor is structural integrity, we’ll want to reinforce before deceleration.”

“Probability tensor?” Rarity repeated. She had barely been listening up until that point, occupied completely with the sensor station. But now she looked up. “Spike dear, that doesn’t sound like you.”

“It wasn’t me,” he answered. “But now it is. The inside of this thing is… huge. No matter how much bigger I feel, there’s always more space. Like a library left behind by giants. I found a subroutine for running probabilistic simulations of outcomes based on known values. It says I can use it on groups of people who don’t know… well, it works best for things with known values. I have all the Equinox’s flight data in here, status information from every system. Linking those together was trivial.”

“If you value who you used to be, I would stay away from anything you find,” Sunset said, finally turning away from the approach vector. “The aliens who created all that were so much more advanced than we are. If you think like them, you won’t be able to think like us.”

Is this true? Yes.

How much is Spike changing from 1-10? 1.

“Your concerns are noted,” he said. “But irrelevant. I am not a dragon anymore. I can’t think like one anymore. But that doesn’t mean I don’t think of myself as an Equestrian. Even if it’s an Equestrian… ship? A ship who diligently plotted your course for you captain. Should we engage?”

Twilight nodded, picking up the microphone from the console in front of her in her magic. “All hooves position yourselves for acceleration. The course we’ve plotted will involve acceleration that will simulate slightly greater than Equus planetary gravity. Spike will give you a ten-count.”

He began counting down. Twilight rotated herself in her magic, settling her hooves onto the surface that would be the “floor.” Rarity had less to do, pressing a lever that rotated her seat. For a few seconds she hung there by the straps—then the acceleration hit her. Sunset Shimmer stood just opposite Twilight, but even so it seemed like she was handling it the worst. Something happened in one eye, and suddenly it was splotched red with blood. Her legs didn’t wobble—they were metal and plastic, after all. But blood dribbled down her nose. She gritted her teeth, breathing heavily.

“Damn,” Sunset took a few steps back. “I think I’ll… go speak to the doctor, if you don’t mind. Ask Rarity about what she found with your telescope.” She left, not actually waiting for Twilight’s approval.

Twilight took a few seconds to adjust, circling to one of the camera-views of the rear of the ship. She watched in splotchy black and white as the glow of highly accelerated gas sped out behind them, pushing them slowly up Proximus B’s gravity well. Finally, she turned. “What was Sunset talking about, Rarity? You didn’t mention, uh… work with the telescope.”

Did Rarity find anything? Yes.
Does she know what lurks in low orbit? Critical No.

“More than just that,” Rarity admitted. She pointed to the console in front of her, and the noise of blurry images she’d taken there. Twilight’s eyes glazed over at the graphs and charts beside each one—something to do with the kind of elements present.

“Sunset Shimmer was right, we can look thermally. Proximus C is a typical gas giant—mostly hydrogen composition, as you can see. But if you look here, you’ll see there’s a little patch, see those numbers?”

Twilight leaned in, nodding. “Looks like the surface temperature jumps from -145 C to something like… -80 C. Only right there?

“There’s an eddy in its upper atmosphere. I’m quite certain there’s a shield in operation—structural, like the one over Canterlot station. Weather control seems likely too, considering the windspeeds elsewhere on this planet exceed any Equus hurricane. But around this patch, cloud patterns suggest it’s calm.”

Hiding in plain sight. They’d scanned Proximus C before but hadn’t thought to look at it like this. Not until Sunset came aboard, and they knew there was something hiding there. “What are the odds this is natural, and we’re… wasting our time?”

“I give it fifty-fifty,” Rarity began.

But Spike’s voice overhead interrupted her. “Marginal, captain. Rarity look at the radiospetographic imaging again. There are fusion biproducts concentrated around that spot not present anywhere else in the atmosphere we’ve scanned. Something is running down there.”

“Yes,” Rarity puffed out her chest a little, staring down at the image. Finally she nodded. “Spike is… correct. I can’t believe I missed that. But my real purpose is to call you to action, captain.”

1. Release a probe. Launched now, it will arrive two months before the Equinox does, smacking right into the planet and taking measurements as it goes.

2. Modify the standard signaling laser to penetrate the cloud cover and hope it’s an Equestrian ship down there that wants to listen.

3. Change the approach vector considerably so the Equinox arrives under much lower burn and on the opposite side of the planet, hopefully making it more difficult to detect.

(Certainty 200 required)

Author's Note:

This chapter's poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18331311

What you’re reading is a CYOA-style adventure story, fully driven by its user feedback. This story is written using a system called Mythic, a GM-simulator that allows me to be fully in the driver’s seat for the prose, without actually knowing what will happen next. Success or failure in this story is fully governed by the fickle hand of fate, as well as the wisdom of those who chose to vote on it.

You can go ahead and vote in older polls if you want, but obviously they won’t retroactively change the text going forward, so the links are left behind mostly because I’m lazy and as a record of previous decisions.

If you’d like to take a look at my semi-regularly updated blog post with character sheets and stuff, go ahead and visit here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/834930/voyage-of-the-equinox-resource-page

And if you’re curious about the dicerolls and the system, you can see all of it for yourself and verify that I’m not cheating on my discord here: https://discord.gg/mQfUn75

PreviousChapters Next