• Published 10th Oct 2018
  • 7,762 Views, 4,802 Comments

Voyage of the Equinox - Starscribe



Equestria's first interstellar ship is crewed by the best and brightest Equestria has to offer. Twilight Sparkle and her friends are determined to uncover the origin of the mysterious alien Signal, no matter what it costs. A comment-driven story.

  • ...
26
 4,802
 7,762

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15

Twilight could see the prospector in the viewfinder ahead of them, with its invisible cone of hyperaccelerated particles blasting almost directly back at the Equinox. But it didn’t matter—the ship could make interplanetary trips in a pinch. But the Equinox could travel between stars. It was a chase the Prospector was doomed to lose.

“We’re in range for disruption,” Applejack’s voice came in only slightly distorted over the radio, echoing around in her helmet. “Just give the order, captain.”

“Once you do…” Spike’s voice was hesitant. “Their engines stop working and we catch right up?”

“Not quite,” Applejack said. “This only works because we’re using the same engines. I… look, there’s no time to explain the technical side. We both stop accelerating as soon as I fire. We’re moving faster than they are, and they won’t have any way to change direction. I fire, and in an hour, Twilight can work her magic.”

“I’m not so sure I can,” Twilight admitted. “I’ve memorized the spell, but… it’s more advanced velocity manipulation with higher inertia than any unicorn I’ve ever known could manage. I’m not a computer.”

“You’ll do fine, cap,” Applejack said. “Last chance to turn back. Not that we should. As much fuel as we burned, ought to get the prospector back for our trouble.”

Twilight watched the retreating craft for a few more seconds. It was indeed getting closer by the moment. Still ignoring all their radio calls, but how much longer would it ignore them now?

“Do it.”

“Killing the engines,” Spike said from beside her, and the shaking under their hooves abruptly stopped. Twilight felt the deck plating begin to drift under her, and she pushed down with magic.

Spike was strapped into his chair, so he wouldn’t be going anywhere either.

“Firing!” A flash of brilliant light emerged from somewhere on the front of the ship, a green and blue aurora that diffused around them in moments.

Twilight saw it on the prospector a moment later—it’s drive went from a focused invisible lance to a struggling white and yellow flame, belching out in uneven spurts that made its trajectory wobble for a second before going out completely.

“How’s it look, cap?”

“They’re not accelerating anymore,” Twilight leaned forward a little, trying to tell what might be going on inside the craft. But it was much too far away for that kind of magic.

“Yee-haw!” Applejack squealed. “Serves you right for tryin’ to steal my…” she stopped abruptly. “Sorry, cap. On my way to the cargo bay now. Spike, remember what I told ‘ya?”

“Steady on maneuvering thrusters.” Spike repeated, a little annoyed. “Pass on the starboard side. I got it, Applejack.”

The engineer didn’t respond. Twilight pulled herself down into the captain’s chair, securing the straps that would stop her from drifting. She was wearing magnetic horseshoes now, just as Spike had his boots, but she’d spent enough time in space to be able to use her magic for most things. What the other tribes called cheating out of unicorns was really just convenience for her.

Twilight lifted Applejack’s spell outline into the air in front of her, focusing on the diagram she had scribbled all over it. “If this spell doesn’t kill me, we’ll have our Prospector back,” Twilight muttered. “Keep an eye on things. I need to memorize.”

“You got it.” Spike saluted with one claw, then rose and began his slow, deliberate walk towards coms.

But Twilight didn’t watch him, or anything else. An hour more was so much less time to memorize than she would’ve liked, even after memorizing in every spare moment.

It felt like seconds before her time was up. “Coming up on the Prospector!” Spike called, his voice nervous. “We, uh… don’t have a huge window here. Looks like our difference in speed is… about three meters per second. Make it count, Twi.”

Three meters per second. And the prospector weighs about two million kilograms…

Twilight stood up, twitching each leg so the horseshoes could do the work of holding her down. She stared out through the window, concentrating on her spell. The Prospector was there, unmagnified now, and getting closer with terrifying speed.

“Eight… seven… six… five…”

“I’m with you, Twi!” Applejack called. “You got this!”

For a few seconds, Twilight’s horn grew so bright that the deck lighting was eclipsed. Everything in the bridge washed away to outlines, and spike raised a claw to cover his eyes.

In the window ahead of them, the prospector glowed too.

Twilight attempts the inertial devouring spell. Failure. Twilight takes spell feedback damage.

A slight pop emerged from twilight’s horn, and her world turned into a scream of pain. She collapsed, but her hooves were still magnetically held to the deck. The glow went out.

Her world overwhelmed with pain, she could still dimly make out Applejack’s voice over the radio. “I’ve got her, captain! This might get bumpy!"

Applejack fires the harpoon. Success

The Equinox rattled and shook, and Twilight was powerless to do anything but watch as the Prospector slipped behind them. The Equinox leaned suddenly to one side, and Twilight could hear its beams and supports squealing in protest at the abuse. What did Applejack do?

The pain was too much. Twilight’s world went white.


Spike, meanwhile, stared on in horror at his now-collapsed captain.

“Bringing them in now, cap!” Applejack called over the radio. “Whoever’s in there is probably banged right to Tartarus, but probably ain’t dead. Now… what do you want me to do? She’ll have her engines back in… just under sixteen hours. And there’s no telling what the pony aboard might have in terms of resources. We gotta act right away.”

Spike made his way over to where Twilight had fallen, trying to ignore the blood. “Captain’s down,” he said. “What are our options with the prospector?”

1. Have Applejack attach a few more lines and hold it secure enough not to get away. Whoever they are has got to be smart enough to know that their engines will tear us both apart if they try.

2. Have Applejack climb over and disable key systems during an EVA. I know it’s a risk, but it’s the only way to be sure they won’t try to get away again. Might be able to patch the hole I made in their belly while I’m at it.

3. The prospector is too dangerous to save. I could get on over there, plant some mining explosive, then push her away again. Once we’re a safe distance out, we punch a big enough hole through her that we know she won’t move again. Bit of a shame to waste the materials, but at least we know we’re safe again.

(Certainty 150 required)

PreviousChapters Next