• Published 6th Jul 2017
  • 10,996 Views, 415 Comments

Phoenix Rising - Foals Errand

  • ...
17
 415
 10,996

Chapter Nine

Sunset sat on the couch, her fingertips lightly rubbed against the denim of her brand new jeans. For the first time in a very long time, she felt safe, almost. The tv was on but Sunset honestly had no real idea what was on. It was only background noise to the multiple thoughts fighting for supremacy in her mind. It was only the sound of the doorbell that pulled her from her thoughts. She looked over to the kitchen where Pri-Mom was working on her laptop at the bar. “Um, the doorbell?”

“Would you be able to answer it Sunset? Don’t worry, hardly anyone knows where we live.” Celestia’s gentle voice called back.

With a soft sigh and painful wince, Sunset got up off the couch and walked over to the front door. For a split moment, she considered checking the peephole but mentally gave herself a shake. Mom is right, probably one of Mom’s friends… A moment later she was regretting not looking.


Rainbow Dash stood in front of the large two-story home in front of her once again checking the address that Vice Principal Luna had given her. Come on Dash, it’s just Shimmer… Man up! With a firm nod the teenager walked up to the front door and rang the doorbell. She waited a few moments and was reaching to press the button again when the door opened to reveal a teenager wearing a pair of jeans and a baggy hoodie, the hood up covering their hair and casting a shadow over their face. For a moment Rainbow questioned if she had the address right when the teenager spoke. “Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow almost winced she had been expecting the brash voice of the Queen Bitch of Canterlot High. Not… whoever this was. Damn, I don’t think I ever expected her to sound so…I dunno broken? She cleared her throat “Uh, hey Shimmer, uh Vice Principal Luna asked me to bring you your homework…For you know your grades not to fall?”

“...Right, my grades. I-” Sunset shook her head and cleared her throat “Would you like to come in?” She finished after a moment of hesitation. If Vi-Aunt Luna gave her our address she must have trust in her, the least I can do is offer her the same. She backed out of the doorway allowing Rainbow the choice whether to come in or stay on the porch.

“Yeah, thanks for inviting me in. It’s starting to get a bit cool out and my hair is still a bit damp.” Rainbow walked inside to see a line of shoes by the door. She glanced down to see Sunset was only wearing socks and slipped her own sneakers off and padded after Sunset to the couch where they sat down. Rainbow frowned as Sunset kept several feet between them.

“Who was it Sunset!?” Celestia’s voice called from the kitchen.

“I-it’s Rainbow Dash, A-Vice Principal Luna asked her to bring me my homework so I invited her in, is that alright?” Sunset called back as she glanced at where Rainbow was digging into her backpack after dropping her sports bag on the floor.

“Of course! Rainbow Dash would you like something to drink?”

Rainbow blinked a few times remembering her manners as she was in her Principal’s house Applejack is going to laugh her ass off when I tell her about this. “Y-yeah a soda would be great if you have them if not water is fine Principal Celestia!”

A few moments later Celestia walked into the living room with two colas. “Here you are girls, thank you for doing this Rainbow Dash, Sunset and I both appreciate it.” She gave the rainbow-haired girl a very poignant look which Rainbow recognized from her time helping Fluttershy with animals. Okay message well and truly received, hurt Shimmer and my life is forfeit… What the hell happened last weekend!?

Sunset cracked open her own can of soda and tucked her feet under herself while looking at the assignments not noticing the intense silent discussion Rainbow and her Mom were having. When she looked up it was due to the sound of Rainbow Dash cracking her can open. She licked her bottom lip as she saw Rainbow Dash staring at her. “I-is something wrong Rainbow Dash?”

“I…no? Well actually yes. Who the fuck are you and what did you do with Shimmer?” Rainbow demanded once she noticed Celestia had returned to the kitchen. Still, she made sure her voice was just above a whisper wouldn’t do to summon the mother bear back to protect her cub. “Knock the shit off Shimmer what game are you playing this time?”

Sunset recoiled back automatically from the accusing tone her shoulders trembling. She took a few deep breaths as she stared down at her hands unable to handle Rainbow Dash’s accusing stare. “I-I’m still Sunset Shimmer, I think” She said once she was able to push back her fear. She heard Rainbow’s snort. For the first time in some time, she missed her ears which could pin back at sounds like that.

She forced herself to look up and into Rainbow’s accusing pink eyes. “I can’t make you believe me Rainbow Dash, but I will tell you this… The Sunset Shimmer that you knew died the night of the Fall Formal.” Her shoulders slumped “If it wasn’t for M-Principal Celestia I would have died with her.” She shook her head at Rainbow’s questioning look. “Later, maybe… Rainbow Dash, I-I’m sorry what Sunset Shimmer did to you, truly I am. I have her memories and feel great shame about them but I don’t have… her thoughts. Personality?” She shrugged again.

Rainbow Dash took a large swallow from her cola as she considered what Shimmer had just told her. Damn, I wish AJ was here… Honesty is her thing…but “What do you mean the Shimmer I knew died on the night of the Fall Formal? Can you explain what you mean?”

Sunset clenched her hand into fists as she squeezed her eyes shut. The very last thing she wanted to think about was being hit by the Elements of Harmony. It… may be the only thing that convinces Rainbow Dash…

“...Okay.” Sunset finally got out her voice even quieter than it had been.

Rainbow Dash set her can of cola on the coffee table as she shoved the amusing realization that Shimmer seemed to be trying to compete with Fluttershy for quietest girl at Canterlot High. “I’m listening Shimmer.”

“You humans, you still have capital punishment? I’ve seen mentions of it in my history book.” Sunset said as she tried to get her thoughts in order.

“I mean, yeah? Kinda? Some states do at least not New York but…” Rainbow trailed off “Wait did we help Sparkle execute you???”

“Yes…well, No… I’m really not explaining this well.” Sunset winced as she rubbed her forehead under where her horn should be. “In Equestria, the Elements of Harmony were… almost a fairy tale. I only knew about them due to my lessons from Princess Celestia. In her recollection they were only used twice.”

Sunset waited a moment to make sure Rainbow Dash wouldn’t interrupt before she continued. “The first was to deal with a creature of pure Chaos…And not chaos in a good way.” She shook her head remembering the nightmares she had learning about him. “He was turned to stone by the Elements.”

“Stone… are you fucking with me?” Rainbow Dash finally blurted out This sounds like something from Greek mythology.

“Nope, no kidding, the Princess often took me to the hedge maze where he is. Without a doubt he is stone. Anyway, the second time…” Sunset paused and lowered her voice even more. “The second time was when Princess Luna refused to allow the sun to rise. She had decided she was done being shunned. She became Nightmare Moon, She and Princess Celestia battled but finally Princess Celestia was able to use the Elements of Harmony on her…It banished her to the moon.”

“Holy fuck… But, I mean you’re here not stone or on the moon?” Rainbow Dash took a gulp of soda as Sunset let out a bitter laugh.

“Yeah, I’m still not sure if I wouldn’t rather be stone… I’m trying to think of the easiest way to explain this…” Sunset gazed back down at her hands. “I think…the best way to explain it would be to consider the Elements as Judge, Jury, and Executioner. For you the rainbow hit me in the face and…That's all she wrote right?”

“...Yeah, I’m gonna guess it wasn’t like that for you?” Rainbow tried to take another drink before she realized that the can was empty.

“It was years… I was forced to experience every single moment of my life where I had gone willfully against the elements.” Sunset wrapped her arms around herself as she trembled. “But I wasn’t the one who was going against them. I was the victim. It… well it would be like an abuser being forced into the victims’ body as they were abused.” Tears fell from Sunset’s blue eyes as her hood fell down causing Rainbow to gasp at the swelling and bruises that covered Shimmer’s face.

“That's why… That’s why you said the Sunset Shimmer I knew was dead, after years of being her target… Fuck.” Rainbow finally stated as the two teenagers stared at each other. She brushed her own tear away determined not to cry. “Well…” She sat up straight. “Hey, I’m Rainbow Dash captain of basically every team at Canterlot High! You seem pretty cool wanna be friends?”

Sunset paused a moment as she realized what Rainbow Dash was doing a small smile tugged at her lips “Sunset…Sunset Shimmer Everfree. And, yeah… I think I’d like that.”

Author's Note:

Sorry, this took so long hope it was worth the wait?

Comments ( 36 )

I really hope you are continuing this. I didn't read the latest chapter because I gotta reread the story but I will be right back once I do.

I'm always glad to see a story be revived. Welcome back.

Welcome back, mellonin.

Sorry, this took so long hope it was worth the wait?

It finally moved again, that's all that matters.

OH MY GOD It updated THANK YOU 🙏🥰😭 It's worth the wait too

c.tenor.com/soLZ74fSBDUAAAAC/dont-matter.gif

I've been looking forward to this update.

Thank you. :heart:

FOUR YEARS and this story rises from the grave!

Good to see this continue. And given this particular interpretation of what the rainbow did to Sunset, her traumatized behavior does make sense. (I don't think it was that kind of lasting torment... but given later examples of the Tree of Harmony's behavior, I can't rule it out. :twilightoops:)

“Stone… are you fucking with me?”

Dash, you grew bird wings and horse ears, then helped the weird new kid fire a rainbow laser at a literal raging she-demon by forming a heart with your arms. Skepticism is not helpful right now.

Looking forward to more.

Yeeeeeesssss finally a new chapter, this is one of my best favorites stories

It is interesting to see how Sunset is dealing with what happened to her.

Welcome back
Well worth waiting:moustache:

Ooh, good to see this back!

Yay glad your back i did enjoy this chapter looking forward to the next one!

Tbh, I really just want to see more SHIELD involvement.
It's not like magic, alien beings or alternate dimensions is a foreign entity in "any" Marvel universe so Sunset should fit right in.

11321699
I promise more SHIELD stuff will be coming.

Oof, so besides the mutilation, THAT'S what the Elements did to her? No wonder she's so shattered.

11321774
Yeah, she's a very broken teenager.

Wow that's so much worse than I thought. Did she got physically abused too?

This was awkward but productive.

It's alive....It's Alive, IT'S ALIVE!!!

IT RISES FROM THE DEPTHS FOR IT IS TRULY THE PHOENIX!!!

I re-read the whole story to catch up before reading the new chapter, and I'm very proud to say that your writing skill has indeed improved noticeably! Congrats! :yay:

Also, Dash needs to chill out a bit. I can't wait to see ALL their reactions to the injuries on her back. That'll shut everyone up! :pinkiecrazy:

Worth it and more, just finished rereading it.

AW HELLL YEAH NEW CHAPTER THIS IS GREAT!!

I had forgotten about this story... But yeah, I am down to keep reading it!

Ah, the Penance Stare style of teaching empathy

Update! Awesome! Love this story. :twilightsmile:

I like the story, but Sunset and Celestia seem to have bonded WAY too quickly to be realistic.

IT LIIIIIIIIVEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!1

Ah more heart warming stuff, this is good.

Definitely worth the wait.
Poor little sunny.

Holy crap it actually affected her physically rather than purely psychologically? Were a bit a bit too heavy handed with the whole death thing given the way she refers to herself given the past chapters, but that might be dramatics from teenage brain & hammering it to Rainbow Dash. Hope my speculation isn't too English classy.

AMAZING chapter love this fic and hope it updates soon

also curious if the elements are ment to do that or if the human world has messed with their magic abit and thus sunset was in a worse shape than was expected by them

Just checking in. Reread to get refreshed on the story. Still one of my favorites. Hope to see it return sometime. Hope all is well. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment