• Published 9th Jul 2012
  • 11,730 Views, 207 Comments

Castle Life - Ravenmane



Princess Luna serves a dish of revenge with a side of human…

  • ...
60
 207
 11,730

The Caged Bird

Celestia bade everybody present a good day and left for the throne room. She tried to remain composed but regularly found the same happy feeling from the day prior returning to her. She often recomposed herself with the same thought: Blueblood finally being out of her mane for a while.

The mere notion of him serving was deplorable, after all who would actually permit him to be a competent soldier. However, she could just send him to some far off outpost in the middle of nowhere and let him drive himself insane. Unfortunately, this often brought back the spring in her step.

Regardless the reason for her joy, Celestia made her way past several soldiers and once she entered the throne room, she composed herself, ready for the impending argument.


I finished my breakfast calmly and casually read the nearby newspaper. I found the local newspaper, the Canterlot Press, curious and mostly filled with simple day-to-day events and reviews of whatever theater performance was in town. It was at least a more pleasant read than the Equestria Daily which often times criticized the princesses and complained about the taxes in Las Pegasus being too high.

“Let’s see,” I said absentmindedly, “the weather’s sunny until the weekend.” It felt odd every time I saw the weather report since Luna told me about Cloudsdale and its Weather Factory. Even after the explanation though, it still bothered me. “Where’s the delight in completely predictable weather? How can a guy enjoy a little time under a tree with a date in the rain if everyone knows when it’ll rain? I suppose it would just have to take someone getting lazy to have a moment like that.”


Aureus cleared his throat as he entered the throne room. “Your highness, I would like to announce Prince Blueblood.”

No sooner than the words left the earth pony’s mouth than the blond-maned unicorn rushed in. “Your highness, I beg you tell me if this message is a joke.” There was a scroll held closely to his side wrapped in a pale blue hue.

Princess Celestia mentally fought back the grin curling at the edges of her mouth. “What do you mean my dear nephew?”

“Thi…this letter,” he managed as he levitated it towards Celestia. “Please, I have to know why I was sent this letter.”

Celestia’s magic quickly enveloped the scroll as she pulled it towards her. “Yes,” she said pensively as she examined it’s broken seal, “I happen to recall reading this since it was brought to my attention.”

“You’ve examined it then?”

“Yes, I have thoroughly examined the letter. I know how you were withdrawn from the academy when you were younger and I wanted to make sure this document was genuine.” Come on, she silently urged. You can keep a straight face. Just remember, this is for all of Equestria’s good.

Blueblood stared at the piece of parchment as the solar diarch sent it back to him. “Please, Princess Celestia. Please tell me it isn’t real.”

Celestia wore her best sympathetic face for the disheveled prince. “I’m sorry Blueblood, but I’ve tried to rescind their decision. You will have to serve, regardless of your misgivings.”

Despite Celestia’s expectation of an ostentatious counter, Blueblood hung his head. “Then I will have to prepare to attend the academy. I hope that you would please not inform my mother, I don’t want her to make a scene in your presence.”

“Of course, be ready to arrive in Stalliongrad by the start of next week. I’ll inform them about your decision to accept their letter as soon as possible.”

“I understand, thank you for trying your best Princess Celestia.” Slowly, he retreated a few steps. “If you’ll excuse me, I’ll have to prepare.” Something’s not right, he thought. If only I could place my hoof on what exactly it was. If I’m wrong though I could be implicated in a crime to overthrow Princess Celestia!

“I’ll try to get you a position back in Canterlot as soon as you finish your time at the academy,” she called to the departing prince. After I make sure your service is as difficult as possible, Celestia silently added. Now, please close those doors so I can actually smile and savor everypony’s collective freedom from your presence.


After savoring every possible moment of breakfast, I took Celestia’s words to heart and did my best to slip into the back corridors of the palace. The real problem I saw with this idea in general though was it was a sunny day, clear skies, and the general fact that there were an alarming number windows and terraces. With a sigh of regret, I just walked casually through the palace, making my way back towards my room.

*****

Every time I go this way, I always see the same crimson red pegasus. She’s usually really polite, says good morning, and returns to whatever she’s working on. Today though, she looked like she was waiting for me.

“Forgive me for saying this but you might want to take a different corridor,” she told me.

“Why would you suggest that Miss…”

“Actually it’s Mrs. if you don’t mind,” she corrected. “My name is Ruby and I suggest that because there’s a delegate who likes to wander the hallways before he’s seen in the afternoon. I saw him and thought you should be warned.”

I bit my lip, Celestia didn’t want me being seen and if I double backed then someone may see me. “Which way would you suggest then?”

“You’re off on the other side of the castle so I suggest you head back to the last fork and make your way out into the gardens. You can get back into the castle on the far side and make your way back to your room that way.”

“Why help me Mrs. Ruby?”

She looked over her shoulder before staring at me. “I’ll explain later,” she hissed, “but you need to go now.”

I followed her idea and rushed down the corridor I recently passed. Far down this new path, I came to a door I had been warned not to use and, despite warnings, opened it to see a lush field of green grass with flowers of every color and perfectly maintained shrubbery.

*****

I spent an alarming amount of time enjoying the sights, wondering why I wasn’t permitted to see such a nice place. I was supposed to be escaping back to my room and it was drifting into the afternoon before I began to hear two ponies talking nearby. As I got closer, I could hear them far clearer and couldn’t help but overhear.

“…I noticed the spring in Princess Celestia’s step Shining,” came a female voice from the balcony above me.

“That doesn’t mean he’s involved,” replied the unicorn’s resolute voice. Even after all this time, after everything I try to do, he doesn’t trust me one iota. If I dared to blame him, then I’d be questioning his position.

“I think you should give him a chance.”

“Cadance, do you think we should’ve given Chrysalis a chance?”

“No! I mean, I hear he’s nice and he’s not trying to hide the fact that he’s done bad things.”

“He struts around the castle like he’s royalty. I can’t tolerate that a criminal could be, as unlikely as it sounds, manipulating Princess Celestia. Do you even think Princess Luna cares about what she did?”

Strut, I thought with an irritated glare to the balcony where the pair talked. Since when have I strutted around here? I really couldn’t say anywhere though, I’ve had to play the part of so many uptight high-society toadies before that I’ve had to get strutting down to an art form. I don’t like to strut, that’s all there is to it.

“Do you see her mane covered in spiders today?”

“Well no but-”

“What about being painted?”

I continued to listen to the Capitan losing ground in this discussion. It seemed to help me learn a little about the mare of my affection though. How much she picked on her sister was pretty sold in my mind now, but I just don’t know exactly how long it’s been going on. It could be days, months, years, or even just one of those ‘sibling things’.

By the time I decided to leave, the thought continued to stir in my mind. It disturbed me to say the least; I mean would she spurn me just for a laugh? Would she even care if I had feelings for her? I had no answers and the questions continued to pile up.

Celestia’s heart was indeed an interesting challenge. I doubt I could be pushed to my limits without something so unusual to aspire to take as my own. “I think I’ll need to talk to Luna,” I muttered to the vacant hallway I turned down. She might know how I could impress her sister, I silently added.


Princess Cadance gave a sigh of relief. “You saw him didn’t you Shining?”

Shining Armor nodded. “I don’t appreciate his eavesdropping but I suppose it makes us even for-”

“Sounding like a complete jerk,” she suggested, doing her best to stifle a giggle.

“Yes, sounding like a complete jerk… hey! Cadance, I thought you weren’t going to do that to me anymore!”

She giggled at the simple joke on her husband. “I am being serious though. You are being really harsh on him.”

“Well, it’s because he’s a criminal and I’m a guard. If I wasn’t then I wouldn’t be doing a very good job would I?”

“He deserves a chance though. He got rid of Blueblood after all right?”

Shining Armor sighed. “You’re right, nopony has gotten rid of him for too long and I have to hope he’s out of our manes for a while. If he can keep Blueblood out of Canterlot for a few months then I’ll be impressed.”

“And if Blueblood never comes back?”

“If Blueblood never returns, or at least stops trying to have Ponyville razed, then I may just see him in a better light.”

Cadance merely smiled. It’s a start.


I looked out my bedroom window, seeing the gardens once more in the light of the setting sun. Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage. I knew it all too well now. I had some freedom to move about the castle, but I had to remain as hidden as possible. Most of the castle’s staff didn’t really react to my presence, but some were at least kind enough to greet me.

“I wonder if she knows why a caged bird sings,” I asked nobody in particular as I looked out to the lush place I only briefly visited. Sure, I wouldn’t get a reply but at least the garden was a good listener. I sprawled out on my bed and began to hum a few bars of a tune slowly.

Comments ( 57 )

loving the story mate keep up the good work!

wat

Hmm mmm hudda mmh

Another good chapter...I kinda wish it had been longer though:fluttercry:

Excellent... proceed.

Need more. But take your time.

I feel like Ms-
Mrs.
Mrs. Ruby is playing a key role somewhere... Hey! When did you get into my head?!
That doesn't matter but sweet Celestia... your mind is muddled worse than the Everfree forest!
Keep away from those! I need those to- *faints*

why does this remind me of white collar the tv show :rainbowderp:

Hmm, if my observation is correct, then things will go haywire, very soon...

That last sentence.
Deep.
"I wonder if she knows why a caged bird sings,”
Very deep.
I am very much intrigued dear Author.
I must watch this closely.
i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/282/930/9ce.gif
I am reading this now.

I know why the caged bird sings, ah me,
When his wing is bruised and his bosom sore,—
When he beats his bars and he would be free;
It is not a carol of joy or glee,
But a prayer that he sends from his heart's deep core,
But a plea, that upward to Heaven he flings —
I know why the caged bird sings!

:twilightsmile:

Poor dude is cooped up in there. I would be climbing the walls by now if I was in this situation. Either that, or trying my best to spend as much time in the garden read as I could.

1039317 Gaze out to the horizon. Far past everything the light touches lurks a long chapter. :twilightsmile:
1039338 :facehoof: If you'd pay up I'm sure my stories wouldn't try to be the death of you.
1040025 :derpyderp2: You good sir, get to fight to the death with Derpy for your muffin. :derpyderp1:
1040066 I always bring my A-Game up when I'm writing. Is it perfect? The truth is it rarely is. All I can ask for is that you simply read on. :ajsmug:

1040559
You say... muffin?
Where did I put my sedative syringe, I have a cute grey pony to 'calm' down!


MUFFINZ!!!

I have a caged bird. Well, he's more like spider-bird. He climbs walls, hangs from the ceiling, and he WON'T.SHUT.UP!! Dear God, it's annoying.



On a separate note, we taught him how to cat-call.

love it keep going...:raritystarry:

1040559 Tell that to my cardboard box which is now my house:applejackunsure: On another note i'm pretty sure that I was also banished to the moon in 2 instances... One was for calling Luna fat... Oh dear cruel Melancholy...:pinkiecrazy:

1043109 you're a glutton for punishment aren't ya?

1040980 *pulls out gun incredibly close to camera* You better not lay a hand on her, bitch.
(Dynomite! Dynomite!)
Hey, I'm not Black Dynomite, what the hell?

1044688 Settle down now. Have your little duel to the death somewhere else. This is a place for praise and complaints. It's hollowed ground, didn't you read the rules?

1044688
You. Your soul will be devastated by a thousan and one demons, noone insults me.

1044702
But you are right, I'll not continue anything fighting themed above that ^ , his soul is already disappeared.

1040559
As you asked so nicely, I shall continue reading this most ostentatious story.

1045546 My soul is still here. Don't worry about that.

1048702
That's what you think :3

Weirdos up there^ :pinkiecrazy:

I am enjoying this story very much so. :twilightsmile:

I keep getting lost in the storyline. I don't know where its going. :rainbowhuh:

But otherwise, very enjoyable.

Why can't i read Zack? Its like he has no emotion. OMG HES A CHANGELING! :pinkiegasp:

1050577 Trust me. I'm no ginger.

1051532
You don't have to be a ginger to lose your soul...

1051314 Hey! That's mean.

1051314 Dunno where it's going you say? Perfect...:trollestia:

Also, I'm still writing the next few chapters and they'll be out when I damn well feel like they should come out. Not saying this because of you in particular, but it has to be said sometimes. :twilightsmile:

I found it a little hard to follow, but interesting nonetheless

1090242 do you feel your chapters sould come out yet?

1577375 I'm working on one right now, a rewrite and a pair of term papers have been occupying my time as of late.

1039315 lemme guess your name used to involve the pyro

Brain: ...

Me: ...

Brain: ...

Me: Shut up.

Brain: *smiles*

Me: Shut up!

Brain: *smile widens*

Me: Shutupshutupshutupshutupshutup!

*beat*

Brain: Told ya.

Me: GAAAH!

3529530 Amateur, I'm going on 400 :trollestia:

3529530 I got like 542 xD. I don't really get time to read many stories.. I'm trying to go through all of them but it will take ages.

3530457>>3530279

598... Do I win?

Also, did something happen with this story? it got in the updated stories feature box on the front page, but there's no new update, so I found it kind of odd.

662 in my queue! And that rhymed, so I double win! :rainbowkiss:

3530646 This isn't a race. I'm actually READING the crap in it. Some of it is actually crap but I'm reading it anyways.

3530646

:pinkiegasp: Geez, my read later list is like... 70 or so. My favorites is only about ~200 strong, but I tend to like the longer stories. The longest 65 in my favorites list add up to over 9 million words (I was bored... Ok?), most of which I've completed reading. I kinda wish FIM still had the words read tracker. That could be interesting...

You really need to update this again. 67 weeks is a long time:D.

3529530 Only got 70 cause I got standards, yo!

Just kidding, there aren't very many stories that catch my interest. Then again, I don't really have the time to read everything.

3530646
1249 in my read later list.
I think I win.

Read it, liked it, up-voted it, favorited it.

Update please? :pinkiecrazy:

Good story so far. Liked it, faved it, and waiting for more of it.
I mean, a story that's on haitus gets featured and it hasn't been updated in so long...BLASPEMY!

3531254 3531969 3531664 Okay, I had to get word across that I wanted to hear some ideas (since my own weren't helping me form chapters) I got a few ideas from an idea or two and will be working on new material. If stuff pan out then you'll be getting a Hearth's Warming gift :raritywink:

Login or register to comment