• Published 29th Oct 2016
  • 2,328 Views, 287 Comments

Silver Shield - David Silver



Gaea Shield is a proud member of the guard. Despite being a pegasus, he has the bulk of any earth pony, matching mass with Big Mac. But brawn alone may not be enough as the political minefield he's stepped in isn't kind to those without finesse.

  • ...
18
 287
 2,328

23 - The End

Shield looked into the eyes of the child he had led, the foal that he held responsibility for. He was sending her to a bad place. A dark place... He hated it. He hated it with every fibre of his being, but he had to. For Equestria. For Celestia. For Canterlot. For so many good things.

He told her it was a good place she was going, and set her on her way, knowing it was a lie the entire time. When she left his sight, he slumped down to his belly. He felt empty inside. He had done a terrible thing, even with the kindest of end games in mind. He was a villain.

Ponies wandered past him, peering at the guard that lay in such a strange place. It took several long minutes before he climbed back to his hooves and began the slow walk back to the castle, hoping feverishly that he had done the right thing. "I paid the price," he muttered to himself. That meant fate owed him what he had asked, right?

Decanter would be set to right, and everypony there would live happily, like Canterlot should...

He might never be known for the good turn of events. That was fine. He didn't feel like he deserved even the slightest bit of accolades. He would have to comfort himself.

"Gaea Shield."

It was Celestia. He started, realizing he was standing inside the castle. He hadn't been paying attention to where he was going. He fell to a knee reflexively. "Princess." She wasn't his pledged princess, but one of those she certainly was.

"Rise and speak." Her voice was stern but kind. "You have the face of a haunted pony... We should speak."

"At... your earliest convenience," he allowed, hoping that would be a long time away.

"Now is good." She pointed to one of many sitting rooms. "We'll retire to here, and you can tell me what weighs so heavily."

Gaea tried to keep his face impassive, to be half as stoic as Celestia could be. He didn't have a prayer. He felt naked and exposed before her as he followed her direction to sit beside the table. Every twitch was read by the princess, and he knew it. That didn't mean he had to say more than needed.

"You should not be so guarded." She smiled gently. "I am your mistress' sister, after all, and we love each other dearly. Has she sent you on a troublesome task? It would not be the first. I will not speak of it to her, if you wish to confide."

That would be breaking a few rules, but it wasn't Luna's order, not directly. "She placed me in the command of your husband, the prince."

"Oh, and has he given you something to do that feels outside your comfort zone?"

No! "Yes." No! Why did he say that? Before Celestia, he felt helpless. She was the kindly grandmother that knew all his tricks. She loved him, and she knew his thoughts. He sagged. "Yes..."

"Tell me about it?" She reached a wing to brush against the pegasus before her. "You are not in my command, but you are no stranger. One of the largest pegasi in the royal guard, how could I not know? You are not one given to dour moods. What troubles you?"

He took a slow breath, as much for time as any other reason. "He wanted me to fix Decanter."

"The district?" She raised a brow. "Ah, I had asked him to look into that... And he delegated it to you."

Shield nodded stiffly.

"And you are having trouble with it."

He considered that a moment. "Not... exactly."

Celestia gave him a pointed but patient look.

He wasn't made for politics. The dance of subtlety was not his strength. He broke almost without effort. "I consulted a seer."

Celestia blinked at that. "A seer? And what did this seer tell you? You would be well advised to be cautious. Many wear the title with no talent behind it."

Shield knew she would get it all, so he decided to face it bravely. He sat up fully. "The goat is usually accurate."

"Goat?" Celestia frowned faintly. "I had heard... No, I would ask that you simply tell me. Are the rumors true then?"

Shield licked over his lips. Had Celestia really not heard? "They say every reading he does comes true, and I asked him how to fix Decanter."

"Are you scared of doing what he suggested?"

Shield winced faintly. "I've already done it."

"And what have you gotten for it?"

Shield considered that. So far... nothing. "I..."

A soft feather brushed against his face, against the tear that had started to fall. "What did you lose?" she asked firmly.

"I misled a... I... I sent a foal... to Tartarus."

Her wings shot out to either side. "What?!"

The door to the sitting room burst open. Two guards had their head poked in, looking ready to leap into action.

Celestia raised a hoof even as her chest heaved with haggard breath. "I am fine. Leave us." Her tone had a harsh edge. Neither dared defy her. Her eyes went to Shield. "What crimes have this foal committed that would lead one to even consider such an action?"

"Murder," croaked out Shield, his voice gone under the waves of fury Celestia was putting out. He deserved it... "I am ready to face your sentence."

"This stops, now." Celestia rose to her hooves. "You should not have been handling this to start. You are relieved of duty for one week, not as punishment, but as a well-deserved moment to recover yourself. You will report to Luna when it is complete. If you'll excuse me... I have business to tend to that only I can."

She marched from the room with hoofsteps that echoed even on carpet. Her anger was roused, and though rare, there were still stories of how terrible it could be. Just as she reached the door, she stopped and looked over her shoulder. "Was the goat the one that gave you this idea?"

"N-no." Shield shook his head quickly. "He warned that it would happen, but it was Stand In, the changeling princess, who gave the order... and I followed it." He licked his dry lips. "I followed it."

"An order is not to be followed blindly," spoke Celestia with a sad expression. "Think on this during your time away, and return stronger for it." She stepped out and it felt like the room grew dimmer for her passing.

Shield slumped, his will to hold himself erect spent. He had been chastised by the princess, and he deserved far worse. He would take the week given to him. "Never again." He would meet fate on his terms, not any other's.


Silver was laughing. He was returning to the castle with his father and Nefertari. All three of them were in good spirits. Good food, good company, and good conversation. It was a perfect evening that nothing could destroy.

So why was Celestia approaching, her mane shimmering with heat and eyes burning with a fire that put it to shame?

"Silver, Ambassador." She nodded to each. "I require his presence." She gestured a hoof at Silver, then walked past the group.

Rough gave a low whistle. "I do not envy you right now. Good luck, David."

Nefertari hiked a thumb inside. "I will show you to the guest quarters."

They departed, leaving Silver to follow after Celestia. "What's wrong?" he asked he went. He had only seen her in such a state of irritation in his dreams, and they were not the pleasant parts. "Can I help?"

"You can... walk with me, and prevent me from doing anything foolish." She stopped and turned to him. "It is time I took this matter into my own hooves. It was a mistake giving it away, as you have." A smile touched her lips, even if it was drowned quickly. "I was angry, at first, but I have committed that sin far too many times to chastise others for it. I want my ponies to grow... I let them handle what I think they can... I was wrong." She turned back for the city. "It is time for me to correct it."

She walked pointedly down the roads towards that diseased part of the city she had allowed to fester so close to home. "No more." She glanced over her shoulder. "Remind me that I am watched, not just by my ponies, but by human foals as well."

"Um, you are," he confessed. "That shouldn't weigh on you. I'm not sure what we... experience is that. I really don't know."

"Enough to think it may be true." She licked over her lips. Her mane was starting to settle, as if the walk was expending her energy. Her tranquility was returning. "I will act as I should. Anger does... not suit me."

Silver smiled at that. "I'm glad to hear that. So what are you planning to do?"

"Borrow a page from your book, Ambassador." She gave a light wink before they arrived at the new changeling hive. The guards stood in front, reformed changelings both. She looked to the one on the right. "Stand In."

The guard erupted in green flames, becoming her usual self. "I suppose I could only fool you once, Celestia."

"A pleasure to see you." Celestia dipped her head. "I have astounding news for you and your people."

Stand In's brow raised in unison. "Really? Did something happen that far under the radar?"

"On the contrary." Celestia gave a warm smile. "Everypony's heard it. The changelings are reformed, as you are aware. What you may not know is that they have formed a kingdom of their own, of and for changelings."

Stand In's brows came down in a furrow. "Yeah?"

"You must be so excited," spoke Celestia as if she were simply the bearer of good news. "Your place in Canterlot was an emergency situation, but that emergency has passed. Your people can now live with their own."

Stand In grunted. "Just like that? You're kicking everychangeling out?"

"What? Of course not." Celestia waved the idea away. "They are more than welcome to come and visit, and, on the individual level, immigrate and become part of the city. But there is no need for an emergency hive. I know you've suffered, all of you, living beside us in forced quarters. Your brothers and sisters need your help, besides, building their kingdom."

Stand In was quiet. There were few words she could use to fight the idea without immediately sounding like the unreasonable one. "Changelings have put down roots here, they have friends. You can't just kick them out."

"Any changeling that wishes to remain, on their own, may come to the castle as any other immigrant, but they must do it on their own."

The message was crystal clear. The hive was to be no more.

Author's Note:

That happened. The divine hoof of the sun is coming down and setting things right, with a smile.

Comments ( 23 )

Celestia you fool!

comfort zone. - comfort zone?


A turn of events that is surprising in its gentle warmth, given Princess Celestia's state of mind at its... ignition.

Given that Thorax was an anomaly from his birth/hatching, I wonder if changlings at large can adapt to living outside a hive. Only time will tell.

This ending feels like a new beginning. :twilightsmile:

I don't know what to make of this ending. However I am glad to see that Celestia gave Gaea Shield some needed time off and the ability to review what happened to him.

Well that's a strange ending. Decanter is the obvious problem, not sure how this is a solution. Is this to force an intermixing of iridescent changelings throughout the community and maybe encourage a hive construction just beyond the outskirts of Canterlot? Will the cleanup of Decanter become more practical if ponies aren't put off by the inclusion of a city bound hive? Reformed they maybe but could they exist without a hive community structure at all in their new form?
Still trying to figure what they are now, as they seemed to have changed species. Best I can guess at is from winged ants to rhinoceros beetles, especially with Thorax's horn structure in canon. Hope the big 'H' has given some thought into their target audience of 4 to 7 year olds understanding what is going on without a better explanation of things.

some how this does not feel like a ending to a story.
it feels like the beginning to a new book.
either way I like it and I will defiantly be watching the David Silver stable to what new story trots out.

8142202 She wanted to rain fire on everything in a few blocks radius. She was reminded that she was a princess and should act like one, so she sent the hive away without coming off as anything but reasonable.

It is not the end of Decanter's reforming, but the start. That much she could do decisively without having to wrestle with the hundreds of interlocking parts that will be involved fixing up her city.

8142410 Looking forward to the next story in sequence then.:twilightsmile: Just for a chuckle, but not serious. 'The Decanter Recanter' :pinkiehappy: OK I'll go away now.:facehoof:

8142410

Now I'm a little confused.

This wasn't really the changeling's fault was it? If anything they seem to be a stable anchor in the community. The conditions in Decanter and relationship with the rest of Canterlot have been sour for a long time before the hive arrived.

Are we seeing a shortcoming on Princess Celestia's part, or is this another situation where she has wheels within wheels spinning? Is it telling that her debriefing of Gaea stopped at the what without delving fully into the why before she decided to go nuclear?

So many questions now...

So attempting to solve the governing issues by disbanding it? That will make things... Difficult for some. This will have repercussions no doubt.
Keep going! ;)

"Stand in."

In."
8143007
DeCanter Hive at once places changelings above and below everyone else, and more importantly, apart…at least, that's my reading of the motive behind this strange decree.

8172307 Fix fix fix fix.. Even found a typo you had missed lurking nearby. All the fixes.

Thank god this wasn't what I thought it was I thought it was yet another reset like the two or three you've done so far

8372236

Thank god but with the name of your chapter and based on your track record can you blame me?

8372364
If it was called wake up, I would be more worried.

Gaea Shield and Stand In never had the autohrity to send anyone to Tartaros and Shield should have known this and therefore consulted with a higher authority. It is good that Shield realizes his failure in duty at least. Celestia's decision to dismantle the changeling hive is sensible since it is an obstacle to the integration of the changelings and with Thorax in charge of the changelings it's no longer required.

9016425
Your analysis is reasonable, except for assuming Stand In was trying to be 100% legit.

..... I'm honestly having a hard time drawing a connection from this story to the original.... soo Changelings became bad, but not bad but it pissed of celestia cause a foal killed someone and err... im lost.... whelp, time to read it again, be back in a day or two, yay weekends...

B y t h e w a y, i've been reading you story for a month three to four months now! Loved it! though Idk why you have the setup the way you do, jumping from story to story, when i "finished" Silver stars to be lead back to the other one, then back and fourth to be lead back ti wizard hat, I was honestly confused by the jumping and lost my chapter more than once... why not just make it a sequel? seems like it would be easier to track like that.

Also Thorax and Fast Change confuse the hell out of me... throws a wrench in the whole dynamic, and just kinda makes all the effort you put into your changelings kinda...idk, its like you threw it away with a convient plot twist,... if it isn't obvious, i am terrible with words and getting my point across.



I also mean no offense in anything ive said... just confused and burnt out from binge reading... can't think straight...

Comment posted by David Silver deleted May 11th, 2019

9616070
Welcome! Now get ye back to Silver Robe and Wizard Hat. It's far less strange there after the dream sequence/nightmare.

The pony on the cover image kinda looks like ozzie Osborn he's goin off the rails on a crazy train

11714695
Considering they can into bipedalism and can pick items with hooves they might as well use shovels similar to us. So, might be just a spade. Otherwise more likely an oversized trowel with flat handle. Considering earth pony strength they might be able to use that. Or a scoop-shoes (pointing down diagonally inward), to wear on one of frontal hooves or both and just drag it over the ground, so it'll dig in. Like a wearable claw. They should be strong enough to pull it off. There's always an option of shovel with extra-short handle made to be held with a muzzle like weapons in Fallout: Equestria, but that would be my least likely pick.

11714743
Those all sounds like excellent options.

Login or register to comment