• Published 29th Oct 2016
  • 2,328 Views, 287 Comments

Silver Shield - David Silver



Gaea Shield is a proud member of the guard. Despite being a pegasus, he has the bulk of any earth pony, matching mass with Big Mac. But brawn alone may not be enough as the political minefield he's stepped in isn't kind to those without finesse.

  • ...
18
 287
 2,328

17 - A New Spell

The ride home was uneventful. Fast kept her nose in a book, which made Silver confused. "What are you reading?" She refused to say, mumbling something about nothing interesting.

Clearly it was interesting! As sensitive as his telekinesis was, it couldn't read ink off a paper. Even if he worked extra hard to feel the indents, it became like braile, refusing to gel in his mind into actual letters. That would not work. "What is it?" he asked again. "You know you can trust me."

"I know if I ask you, as your future and past wife, to let me have this secret, you will, because you are a good pony." She gave a firm nod and turned back to her book, devouring whatever was inside.

Silver let out an annoyed grunt. He didn't like being called out on being a nice person, but it wasn't a lie. He didn't feel right prying too hard if Fast wanted to keep it to herself. "Just tell me it's safe, and mean it."

Fast looked up at him. "Oh, it's safe, mostly. It might not be safe for your mind, but you'll enjoy it, promise. Now lemme alone." She stuck out her tongue in a loud raspberry before continuing her reading.

Silver decided to try and busy himself with some writing of his own that needed doing. He put quill to paper and got to work. The trip went by smoothly with the two sitting in companionable silence.

When they arrived at the castle, Fast seemed eager and excited. "Where can we be private?"

Silver shrugged at that. "I'm never all the way private these days. Are you listening, Sammy?"

"Affirmative," came a small voice in his ear. "Welcome back."

"She can watch if she wants." Fast frowned a little. "Just don't want anyone walking in and getting in the way of things. It's been too long. Way too long. I'm going to show you a thousand ways I love you more than anything."

Silver felt his heart quicken as he gave an awkward smile. He was not a stranger to any of his wives demanding time, but the blush never went away. "Fast... we're not official yet."

Fast clopped a hoof on the ground. "I had you first! Come on... None of them will be that mad, so long as we keep working on the whole changeling thing too. Please... I want to spend a night with a stallion that I know loves me completely and I want to show him how much I return that feeling."

Silver glanced around nervously. Fortunately, none of the other ponies around seemed to notice their conversation. They were all busy with their own affairs. He may have been royalty, but he was the least of them all. In some ways, he was the male adornment of the royal mares. That thought made his blush worsen before he shook his head. "If we're in the castle, there's a chance someone will turn up. That's just life there."

Fast suddenly stopped. "Then we don't go there."

Silver pointed at the foals still strapped to Fast's sides that were being quiet and good. "They say otherwise."

"Right right..." Fast sighed. "Let's drop them off first at least."

Silver had no argument about that, so he proceeded directly to the castle. Just as he stepped past the guards at the door, he felt a soft furry finger caressing his snout.

"Welcome back," purred his jackal stalker. "I trust your trip was productive?"

Silver took a quick step back. "I brought the human to where he could get some help, and friends. He needs both."

Fast blinked at the she-jackal. "Nefertari, right?"

"Correct," agreed Nefer with a toothy smile. "And you are... Fast Change, former changeling queen, are you not?"

Fast's ears fell a little. "That's princess, but yes."

"Princess, queen, it matters little. The changelings are no more, hmm."

Fast blinked at that. "They changed, but they're still there. Who told you otherwise?"

"Is that so?" Nefertari folded her arms under her chest. "Getting information on it has proven most trying. And you are no longer with them."

"I'm with him." She nudged up against Silver. "And we're putting the foals away."

"Got it." She vanished. The foals were also gone.

Silver grunted softly. "She really should ask first... they're fine though. She can be strange, but I don't think she'd ever hurt them."

"I think she likes you." Fast leered a little before licking Silver's closer ear. "You awful stud you. Now that she's gone though, and no foals are weighing us down..."

Silver leaned over and nuzzled Fast a little. "I want to ask Night first. You'll allow that, I hope?"

"Nnnnooo, I guess not." She sighed softly. "For Night, I can wait. Let's find her." She leaned in and whispered in Silver's ear, "Hey, Samantha, still listening? Where is Night?"

A voice replied, but not in Silver's ear, but Fast's instead, "She's in her classroom, grading papers."

Fast's ears twitched wildly. "What?! You got me too?!"

"Does this bother you?"

"Dirty girl! Dirty dirty girl!" shouted Fast, but she was grinning, not frowning. "When did you do that? Oh, um, Silver, she says Night's in her classroom. Lead the way."

Silver did just that, trotting through the hallways of the castle towards the classroom. They ran into another pony, and not one he expected. Samantha stood before them, smiling. "Hello, father, maybe future mother!" She pointed at Fast. "Her measurements are odd. I think she's excited about something, or maybe she caught something. I'm not sure which."

Fast blinked at Samantha's greeting. "Huh, well, so you're the one that... bugged me?"

"Bugged you," Samantha said, giggling. "Shouldn't you bug other ponies?"

Fast got the joke and rolled her eyes. "Don't repeat that around changelings, it bothers most."

Silver cleared his throat softly. "Is something wrong? What brings you here?"

Samantha bobbed her head quickly. "Sunny wants to talk to you. So does Lulu. You're very popular today."

Silver quirked an ear. "I'll be sure to see them both, but you could have told me that remotely, right?"

"Could, but I also wanted to see you, and to give you something."

"What?"

She grabbed him in a hug and squeezed. "Welcome back, father."

Silver smiled with building joy, hugging with his magic his manic daughter. "It's nice to see you too."

Samantha hopped back, then looked at Fast pointedly. "You better treat Father well!"

Fast blinked at the stern warning. "I plan to treat him very well, and you'll be watching, because you're a dirty dirty mare."

Samantha tilted her head a little. "I wash daily." She turned and trotted off without waiting for a correction.

"She is a fascinating mix of youthful innocence and energy and a mind sharp enough to be frightening. My daughter is amazing, and I love her very much." He had a feeling she may be listening, but he meant every word. "Let's go see Night, then it's off to the royal sisters."

They were close to Night's domain and entered it to find the lunar pony scribbling with a quill held firmly with a wing. "Is that you, Silver?" she asked without looking up. "Welcome back."

Silver smiled. "How did you know it was me so fast?" He trotted quickly to her side, and they met in a fond embrace.

"Your one metal shoe is a dead giveaway to anypony listening." She looked over to Fast. "Any breakthroughs?"

"Just one." Fast trotted towards them. "One I need your permission for. I want to spend an evening showing Silver how much I love every inch of his body, and he said I had to ask you."

"Ask me?" She hiked a brow. "He kicked me out of being First Wife."

Silver smooched her snout. "And yet you remain my lovely compass and I wish to follow your direction."

Night set her quill down gently. "At least you haven't completely lost your senses. To think, a male that wants to lead a herd..." She looked Fast up and down carefully. "You know I'm alright with Fast Change, but you were right to ask. She isn't part of us formally. People could talk and whisper." Fast winced, but Night grinned. "However... You have a reputation for courting exotic mares, and Fast is that. You spending time with the former changeling queen shouldn't be too surprising. I'd check with Celestia and Luna, just to be sure, then you're set."

"Let's go!" Fast's horn glowed as she spun Silver in place towards the door and got to trotting. "We have a royal duo to chat with."

Silver chuckled faintly as he followed the energetic Fast, wondering what she had in mind. It had to be something... Was it just playing?

They found Luna. She was just waking up and preparing for the evening. The guards let Silver and Fast go past with a friendly nod each.

"Silver," stated Luna as she brushed her mane with a magically held brush. "Welcome back. Did Samantha speak to you? Celestia has a rather sizable task for you she would like you to start."

Silver blinked at that. "I just finished..." The complaint died in his throat. He was a prince. That meant he had to do things. He got to live like royalty, so being busy was a small price to pay. He was a thousand times blessed. With his emotions put in check, he nodded. "What does she need?"

"She wants the poor portions of Canterlot catalogued, documented, then addressed. She wants all of her precious city to gleam with the smiles of its content citizenry. It seems she has become keenly aware of the less reputable portions of the jewel of her kingdom." She set the brush aside and turned. "Good evening, Fast Change. Any progress with your recovery?"

Fast winced faintly. "Nothing concrete yet, but there is a question." She waved at Silver. "Can I borrow him? I'll be gentle and bring him back good as new, I swear. I miss him... Please, one night."

"You've grown." Luna sat tall. "If I were to guess, you would have not asked me, not long ago. You were his, and he yours, before I came into the picture as one of the runners. It was only your selfless act that pulled you away from him..." She raised a hoof. "Once, if only because I want you to focus on curing yourself, one way or the other. Be rid of this impediment so we may greet you properly as family."

Fast knew better than to mention it wasn't her idea to ask Luna. She hugged the princess of the night tightly. "I will, promise."

Silver nodded softly. "That just leaves talking to Celestia."

Luna waved it off. "She will be heading to bed shortly. You've heard what she wants. I'll tell her you're on the case when we exchange heavenly bodies." Her eyes darted to Fast. "I'll also inform her of my decision. Do as you wish with her this evening. I trust you are not receptive?"

Fast quickly shook her head. "No ma'am. I'm not ready for motherhood yet. Tonight is not for that."

"See that it isn't. That would complicate things." Luna rose over Fast. "I must attend my own duties. Good evening."

Author's Note:

What's the spell do? I bet most of you could guess. The trick is that going into detail of what Fast would do with it would be M-rated. Skip past that with implications? What are your thoughts?

Support me and get your own story written on atreon!

Join my discord to chat!