• Published 13th Sep 2016
  • 1,524 Views, 38 Comments

Spiders and Magic: The Harmony Avengers - andrew7



This is my very own unique story spin-off and inspiration of Maximus Reborn "Spiders and Magic" series

  • ...
21
 38
 1,524

PreviousChapters
Into the underground

“Luna? May I come in?” Celestia called out softly, finding herself in Lunas quarters, the snow white alicorn gently knocked the door of Lunas room in order to check on her younger sister as Peter asked so, patiently waiting for a while expecting her Luna would eventually open up, but strangely, there was no respond. Maybe Lunas was just still sleeping.

“Um….Luna? Are you there?” Celestia called out again, with though the Sun Goddess voice though tuned slightly concerned if not rather unnerving and knocking the door once more though somewhat hesitantly, yet once again without any respond at all.

Having a very strange sensation echoing within her chest by started having her suspicion that something wasn’t quite right and now quite really concerned, Celestia loaded her horn with her light yellow magic aura by using her magic on the lock of the door unlocking it, as the mare right then slowly pushed into the door, opening it with a slight creaking.

Celestia crossed the door sill yet however when entering Lunas room, it seemed to be rather stranger inside there as Celestia felt the atmosphere was somewhat thin, making it rather hard to breath as well as being filled with tension and anxiety. “Luna?” Concerned yet though Celestia went in, the hoofsteps of her hoof shoes were lightly echoing from the marble floor rather hesitantly, the mare looked around the room in an attempt to locate Luna, when though her royal violet eyes landed on Lunas crescent moon shaped bed which however looked like quite unmade and rather messy with the pillows being thrashed around the bed, the mattress laid out and the blanked messed up hanging from the edge of the bed.

Finding it somewhat odd and rather growing more and more concerned, Celestia made her way right to the bed looking around in an attempt to find Luna, when she eventually found her lying down beside the other edge of the bed, narrowing her eyebrow yet however by seeing Luna gave Celestia quite a slight fright, by seeing her younger sisters frame, as Luna was cringing at the side of her bed, wrapping her hooves over the blanked tightly, yet however the most disturbing was the look on Lunas face looking distressed or rather horrified, evident by her usually beautiful night sky like floating mane being rather messed up and her entire frame trembling and shivering in a pure terror with even tears rolling from her eyes, like just she saw a ghost or something to be horrified like that. A bad dream maybe?

“Luna!” Celestia nearly blurted out of fright with now her concern reaching quite a critical level as the older alicorn princess reached out gently yet energetically grabbed her younger sisters shoulder shaking her frame a bit, yet though with no avail with Luna being caught in some sort of trance, quite numb and out the touch with the outside world around her. “Luna!” Celestia blurted out again aloud yet this time shaking Luna with a more force in an attempt to wake her up.

“What….?!” Luna blurted out stammering when Celestias voice finally reached into her, finally waking up and bringing the Protector of the Night back into reality. “Sister….” Luna murmured as her vision was lightly blurring yet finally cleared out and recognizing her older sister, although being still somewhat confused and disoriented.

“Luna….” Celestia murmured softly while still being concerned and bringing Luna closer into her hooves. “What is the matter? Is something wrong?”

“Logan……” Luna merely trailed out stammering yet strangely mentioning Logan, her voice though sounded strained, more like a broken mirror brushing over the hard surface with tears escaping out of mare eyes rolling down her cheeks, much for Celestias utter awe, wondering what could have possibly gave her younger sister such a fright about Logan.


Spider-Mane, Twilight, Wolverine and the rest of the Avengers, with Princess Cadance being as a newcomer to the team being as a substitute reserved member for Luna, along with Pinkie and her older sister Maud Pie as an escort kept walking throughout a large tunnel deeper into the underground in a search and in an attempt to find out what was the cause of those sudden magnitudes and tremors occurring throughout the Equestria lately, by yet though the heroes had a possible suspect being an apparent rockhound that Wolverine deducted back on the surface by surveilling the crime scene of a damaged wasteland around the Rockville. Although as much crazier and unusual it sounded, for the Avengers it was so far the best opinion they got, with though Peter and Twilight having a faith and trusting Logans instincts as well as the otherpony had. Despite the tunnel was relatively large enough for all the ponies and dragon to fit in, its depth was steadily getting darker and darker, evident by the heroes getting deeper and deeper and due with no more light getting through the entrance hole.

“Watch it, clumsy.” Wolverine grunted by feeling a pressure from behind his flank as Parker though accidently bumped into Wolverine from behind.

“Ouch! Do you mind hon?” Now Felicia huffed by feeling Pinkie Pie bumping into cat burglars side.

“Sorry.” Pinkie apologized, yet she actually didn’t do that on purpose because of the dark.

“Its getting darker for us getting deeper.” Twilight replied as even she found that rather difficult to keep up by hardly seeing anything

“You are telling my, Twilight. I can barely see the tip of my snout.” Spider-Mane muttered. “This is really not any love tunnel I would like to swim through with you honey.”

“There ain't any problem fer me. I kin see in th' dark.” Wolverine stated with though a faint hint of boast in his gruff voice.

“You really can?” Pinkie Pie squeaked out curiously, her deep ocean blue eyes were gleaming with awe and astonishment.

“Yup.” Wolverine dully replied as he was actually right, due to his natural superhumanly acute senses, despite his excellent and rather unsurpassed sense of smell along with a great hearing, Wolverine has also a very improved eyesight, allowing him to see further as well as being able to see in a pitch darkness via night vision.

“I shall better tune up the Spider Signal light.” Spidey quipped as he stood up vertically being about to use his Spider Signal light on his utility belt.

“Nah. Just let my flash it around with some fire.” Spike however intervened by taking a deep breath in an attempt to light the tunnel instead with his flames.

“Wait up boys.” Right than though Cadance surprisingly stepped up cutting both Spider-Mane and Spike out. “I just might have something better. Check this out….” Cadance loaded her horn with her magic aura of a light blue colour before it flashed with an intense amount of light, forcing everypony to shield their eyes as the glow eventually subsided as Cadances horn yet was glowing just enough the a somewhat crystal like light to light the entire caver tunnel up for the Avengers to see, acting some sort of a flash light.

“Guess that is some way how to let the light to flash our path.” Black Cat nonchalantly commented the way how Cadance lightened up the way into the tunnel.

“Nice going, Cadance.” Twilight commented on her sisters-in-law quick thinking by using a flash spell of a Crystal Empire like origin, using the flash sparkle of the crystals, enabling to see more clearly and properly than with an ordinary light.

“You just might call yourself a princess beacon of light, providing inspiration and encouragement.” Spider-Mane humorously quipped the way how Cadance flashed the tunnel.

The heroes then kept moving throughout the tunnel cavern with Cadance flashing their way with her horn acting like a flash light as Spide-Mane went rather ahead, holding his scanning device in his free hoof as the transmitter was beeping and picking up a soundwave activity, yet out of the sudden Spider-Manes Spider Sense within the back of his cranium started slightly ringing as in the instance yet another series of quakes and tremors echoed throughout trembling and shaking the entire caver with some dirt and pieces of rock failing from the ceiling, causing the Avengers to brace themselves to hang on and keeping their balance though the quakes immediately subsided in the process.

“See? We are getting close.” Spidey commented on the tremors magnitude, evident by the strength of the reading on his scanning device.

“Gee. Whut was yer first clue, school boy? That little doohickey or th' noise givin' yer ideas?” Wolverine sarcastically grumbled mocking Parkers comment.

“My guess is that right now we are finding ourselves approximately somewhere near the earths crust.” Twilight deducted thoughtfully by taking a look around the tunnels cavern walls judging how deep they just could be.

“I agree.” Maud Pie who so far remained silent and in background surprisingly spoke up as the stoic mare reached out into her tail-coat pulling out a magnifying google as Maud took a way more proper look over the rocks with her google checking it out closly, yet the mare also cleared out her nostrils and actually smelling the rock. “Yup. A sedimentary rock alright. Indicating the layers of earth.”

“Has she just smelled th' rock?” Wolverine whispered quite dumbfounded by actually seeing Maud smelling the rock yet also perfectly judging its type.

“You better believe this, bub. In Mauds case, it would better be true.” Spidey quipped and playfully bumped Wolverine into the side of his gut.

“That is right. Due many years of working on Rock Farm, Maud has become a very seasoned geologist.” Twilight added complimenting Mauds knowledge of geology and types of rocks with a great amount of intellectual respect.

“Yeah. Isn't she just great?” Pinkie Pie squeaked joyously in even more respect and love for her older sister.

“Hurm….” Wolverine grunted, as out of the sudden and once again the X-Men recalled some more events from his past and early life and just like against of his will, the gruff stallion trailed out, with his gruff voice sounding somewhat promising. “I might also know somethin' about this rocky stuff….”

“You do?” Spider-Mane murmured quite in a combined awe and quite a surprise.

“Um, you do?” Twilight murmured by mimicking and sharing her knights own awe, although young princess seemed a way more interested.

“Is that so?” Maud Pie dully asked, yet inwardly wondering also, yet the mare decided to test Wolverine. “Very well then, if you say so, Logan…..What are major types of rocks?”

“Hurm….” Wolverine grunted before going on. “There are three actually: Beside that sedimentary one ya have mention, th' other two are igneous and metamorphic.”

“That’s correct….” Maud Pie stated Wolverines answer correct.

“Has he just…..?” Spike murmured completely dumbfounded.

Ignoring young dragons awe, Wolverine went on. “In terms of rocks, th' sedimentary rocks as ya put it darlin' are layered, with th' sediments while pillin' up they are usually compressed and heated in th' centre of th' Earth, while th' igneous rocks fer example solidify due ta th' extreme heat, like molten magma fer instance, as metamorphic rocks are th' ones formin' when sedimentary, igneous or even pre-existin' metamorphic ones are changed by environmental factors, such as extreme heat or pressure.”

“Okay…Seriously….” Spidey muttered underneath his mask incoherently by actually listening Wolverines intellectual lecture about geology, yet Twilight though lightly slapped her wing over her husbands face, prompting him not to disturb Logans lecture.

“Very well then…” Maud Pie once again commented Wolverine answer being correct without though giving in any visible sign of astonishment before giving yet another question. “So, what are some kinds of each of those rocks?”

“Among th' sedimentary rocks belongs such as shale or sandstone, while th' igneous ones are granite and obsidian fer instance and metamorphic are those as slate and marble.” Wolverine declared by finishing off.

Wolverines unique yet in some cases unexpected small lecture about the rocks and geology earned a couple of collective and utter confused gazes to the X-Men, with Parker unable to supress his utter awe, unable to comprehend that Logan Wolverine, a tough guy with a rather brutish like manner who usually solved most matters with his adamantium claws would actually know such things, while Twilight on the other hoof couldn’t help but also wondering about Logan apparent high level intellect, evident by his teaching and training Spike back then, thinking about Logan to be a scholar with an exceptional knowledge and skills despite his usually rough and brutish demeanour.

“How do you know this much about all this stuff, big guy?” Black Cat asked though unlike otherpony around the cat burglar didn’t seem to be that much astonished yet nevertheless as much as she was curious.

“Hurm….”Wolverine grumbled feeling somewhat defensive about Felicias seemingly innocent question, yet the X-Men thought for a moment by once again diving into his mind and though somewhat reluctantly recalling more past events from his early life before trailing out. “Durin' my times and while bein' still young, I lived in a minin' camp in British Columbia workin' as a miner.”

“A miner?” Spider-Mane, Twilight and Pinkie all gasped in quite an astonished.

“Is that so?” Maud Pie asked yet titling her head slightly on the side like actually showing some hint of interest at all.

“Yup. We were diggin' and minin' ore, as well as I was also huntin' in local forests, obtainin' food fer ohters. It had been a long time ago though….” Wolverine grunted, his voice although sounded strangely and in somewhat unfortunate or even hesitant like volume, if the otherpony even caught that or not.

“Say Logan….” Twilight though now trailed off with her awe and interest deepening even further by closing her gap between herself and Wolverine. “I couldn’t help myself and also wondering about your intellect. May I know where exactly you were studying, if it is okay with you, Logan?”

“Indeed….” Now Cadance added, the pink alicorn princess voice bore an undercurrent of interest and curiosity. “Despite for you usually being tough and rather rough Logan, yet you have also showed yourself many times to compensate that for your intellect alike with a great reasoning.”

“Yeah, old chum.” Spider-Mane also added. “It is quite funny to actually imagine you to be a geek, although not that much geeky as I am, especially when I rather that type of a guy that usually thrash things around. No offense.” Spidey chuckled quipping playfully, yet though instead of one of yet another of his sarcastic remarks, the masked stallion actually meant more like a compliment for the gruff stallion intellect.

“Hurm….” Wolverine grunted in slight irritation on the web-slingers remark, yet also seeing that Twilight along with Cadance and ohterpony still awaited his answer, the X-Men once again although reluctantly and like against his will recalled more events of his past. “I didn’t go ta school.” The gruff stallion replied in a very dull manner.

“You….Didn’t go to school…?” Cadance asked with a slight mutter in disbelief.

“Nope.” Wolverine dully replied.

“That….Thats not possible, Logan.” Twilight although blurted out in quite a shock with a slight pants by actually learning about Logans apparent excuse not ever going to school. “You mean you have never had any high school?”

“Nope.”

“Nor any college?” Spidey asked being totally dumbfounded.

“Nope.” Logans voice though steadily gaining on force.

“Nor even any primary education, nor pauses, nor classmates to hang out with?!” Pinkie blurted out her voice squeaking in quite a freaky combination of astonishment and disbelief alike having her ocean blue eyes wide as a pair of saucers.

“PINK ONE!!!” Wolverine called out aloud exasperatedly with his voice echoing throughout the entire tunnel cavern yet also unwillingly giving the hyperactive mare as well as everyponys around a slight fright, shitting them all up. “No. None of that.” Wolverine replied with his voice though tuning back into a way more calmer and somewhat solemn like tune, as the X-Men once again recalled more memories from his past, grunting. “As a kid, I was privately tutored at home.”

“Privately tutored you say?” Cadance murmured curiously as she had already recuperated from her awe a bit, quite wondering that Logan instead of going to any school had a private tutoring instead, finding it quite strange.

“Yup.” Wolverine grunted in response with however an unfortunate rather darker thoughts filled the X-Mens mind. “But, that was before….”

“Before what?” Felicia asked.

“Yeah….Before what?” Now Twilight also asked curiously, urging on the subject.

“Lets just say….” Wolverine spoke off, his gruff voice though sounded quite defensive, inwardly urging Twilight better not to press any further on the subject. “Some things are better ta be forgotten and stay like that. Its better that way.”

“Oh, come on, chum, how about….” Spidey however commented further on the topic yet though sounding lighthearted, the masked stallion unfortunately right then caused Wolverine to reach his limit.

“JUST LEAVE IT, WILL YA!?” Wolverine bellowed out aloud, his voice sounding in a very pissed off and menacing like manner, his voice sounding like a thunder echoed throughout entire tunnel cavern, causing everypony around to stiffen out of fright as well as quite in terror by the X-Mens sudden outburst, cringing. “I suppose we were supposed ta find out th' cause of those quakes, so lets git this over with.” Wolverine snorted as he sharply turned around and proceed trotting in a rather quick pace further into the depths of the tunnel going far ahead, leaving his uncertain and rather subdued teammates behind.

“Your friend seems to be troubled about something?” Maud Pie dully commented without ever losing her famous cool with her stoic and indifferent expression intact.

“You are telling me Maud….” Spider-Mane stammered in quite fainthearted like manner, still being quite shacked from Wolverines sudden outburst which however also seemed to be very uncalled for. This was getting really irrational as well as rather not being normal anymore, with Logan having those sudden mood swings, along with those anger outbursts, especially and strangely when it came to the mention of Logans past and early life, as well as the gruff stallion was rather evasive and very reluctant about to talk about this subject, like actually be struggling with something very unfortunate. Something must have better be done about this, and fast.

“Come on, everypony…..” Twilight who already managed to recuperate a bit from her shock though spoke off prompting the Avengers to come along after Wolverine to make sure they didn’t lost him, yet eventually after a while of passing through the tunnel cavern, the ponies and dragon eventually caught up to Logan yet surprisingly standing at the edge of the tunnel as yet there was apparently another tunnel crossing it

“Logan?” Twilight calmly trailed out asking carefully, yet also though the Princess of Friendship decided to keep her distance in a case Wolverines temper decided to flare out again.

“There is another tunnel here…” Wolverine stated as he watched the another tunnel that was apparently as big as the first one, yet the X-Men also sniffed around the air. “I am smellin' somethin'….” Wolverine grunted as a strange and rather very pungent scent filled the gruff stallions nostrils, yet Wolverine also noticed a large scratch marks over the tunnels sides, the X-Men came closer and shoved the marks with his hoof, thinking. “Hurm….”

“What is it, Wolvie?” Spider-Mane asked, her voice though bore a hint of caution.

“There was somethin' else here.” Wolverine replied with a snarl escaping through his teeth. “Some kind of large creature, with a large paws and claws dug its way through here, crossin' its path right with th' tunnel….” The X-Men deduced although inwardly a suspicious started broiling within him, before sniffing the air again, catching the scent of the strange creature leading right ahead the tunnel. “This way.”

“What kind of large creature?” Pinkie Pine asked, yet however before the Element of Laughter could look forward for any answer, suddenly there was an end of the tunnel as the Avengers entered and finding themselves in a very large yet peculiar cavern with a large stone stalagmites acting like pillars supporting the ceiling, a several other stalagmites growing from ceiling and several holes enabling the sunlight to get through, flashing the caverns entire interior a bit, much for the heroes collective astonishment. Yet however and strangely, some of the rocks and pillar stalagmites looked like to be somewhat damaged, crushed and crumbling apart.

“Where are we?” Spike murmured in awe.

“It looks like some sort of an underground cavern…” Black Cat replied somewhat offhandedly while though the cat burglar couldn’t avert her gaze from the peculiar look at the cavern.

“A very peculiar cave indeed…” Cadance murmured in agreement, yet the mare loaded her horn with more magic, aiding some more light in to it before eventually flashing the entire cave so the everypony could take a better proper look at that place.

“Looks like a result of long taking weathering process of the rocks for over a hundreds of years….” Maud Pie stated in a very professional and academic like way, explaining an suppose formation of the cave.

“So it seems that way.” Spider-Mane stated acknowledging Mauds scientific judgement while the web-slinger also couldn’t supress his awe about the caverns interior. "But you say....This might be just kinda place for Mole Man." Spidey quipped yet once again commenting the mention of Mole Man, the reccuring villain of Fantastic Four, usually being associated and living underground.

“Keep it down.” Wolverine however hissed cautiously, prompting everypony to be quiet as the X-Mens ears underneath his mask perked out, catching a strange noise echoing around, yet the gruff stallion caught the noise was coming from behind the nearest stone pillar, as well as his superhumanly acute nose picked the same musky pungent scent that he just caught back at the another crossing tunnel.

“Can you hear that?” Twilight murmured whispering as she along with Spider-Mane, Wolverine, Spike and otehrpony and dragon closed their gap between themselves and the edge of the pillar, moving slowly and cautiously with the noise steadily gaining on volume, which strangely resembled grunting and whimpering, sounding more like some sort of animal in agony. Yet, the Avengers cautiously looked over the edge of the pillar, yet however what they just saw behind, caused them all to stiffen and letting out simultaneous gaps out of utter awe.

Right behind the pillar, there was lying a humongous creature, that apparently looked like a giant mole, having a strong stocky body with a dark blueish purple fur, a powerful forearms with three pairs of long claws, its hinder legs being much shorter yet strong nonetheless, having an disproportionally large head with a multiple light-blue appendages around its snout, amber yellow eyes and large two pairs of razor sharp rodent teeth in upper and lower jaws.

“What the….A Maulwurf!?” Both Spider-Mane and Twilight blurted out astonished as the otherpony around though seeing yet though couldn’t believe by actually seeing alive and real Maulwurf on their own eyes.

“So that….Is that Maulwuf creature?” Wolverine grunted with his eyebrow underneath his mask narrowed with a slight amazement by actually seeing the creature on his very own eyes, with the description Twilight and Spider-Mane gave being accurate, yet reacting on his instincts, the X-Men sniffed catching Maulwurfs scent, finding it matching evident by the Maulwurf dug that another tunnel crossing its path with the first one. However what was rather disturbing and unfortunate was the fact that the creature wasn’t apparently feeling so good, cringing and convulsing on the ground, grunting and whimpering like being in a great deal of pain, evident by its fur being messed and covered by dirt with numerous bruises and scars covering most of the beasts body, like something or someone actually gave it a severe beating.

The Maulwurf grunted weakly, yet taking a few sniffs clearing out his nostril as the giant mole right then caught a scent and noticed the ponies standing a safe distance from him with an edge of his amber coloured eye, a hard yet menacing snarl escaped through the Maulwurfs throat causing Spider-Mane, Twilight, Wolverine and everypony to cringe defensively a bit as the giant mole attempted to stand up, although hardly and again collapsing to the ground via the bolts of pain rushing and coursing throughout its entire body.

“What….What happened to it?” Spike murmured in a somewhat fainthearted like manner.

“Looks like it got a very nasty dose of pownage…” Felicia murmured her voice sounding slightly unfortunate.

“Oh, poor guy….” Pinkie Pie though stammered, her voice sounding strained by actually feeling herself sorryful for the Maulwurf, despite having a reputation of an aggressive and fierce beast.

“Hurm….” Wolverine growled however, having his blank eye lenses fixed on the Maulwurf with a strange solemn like feeling as the X-Men took a couple of cautious steps forward.

“Hey, Wolverine. Wolverine….” Spider-Mane called out by attempting to hold Wolverine in his tracks.

“What is he doing?” Pinkie squeaked low tuned in awe and wonder what Wolverine was up to.

Wolverine was slowly and steadily closing his gap between himself and Maulwurf as though a giant mole creature snarled and taking a glimpse of a strangely dressed pony approaching, hardly and with a bit of struggle, Maulwurf finally managed to pull himself from the ground, supporting himself via his long powerful forearms big and strong like a tree trunks, releasing yet another fierce snarl through its clenched rodent fangs having its amber yellow penetrating eyes fixed right on the stallion.

“Logan! Get away from that thing!” Cadance stammered, a concern and fright alike of Logans safety being vocally present in mares voice.

“Wait.” Spider-Mane though comforted Cadance, also rising up his hoof for everypony to hold on their posts not to intervene, wondering how this all would evolve.

Wolverine stood face to face with Maulwurf just a few meters away from and staring into each other eyes with Maulwurf although seemingly injured, the beast apparently and nonetheless still had enough strength to fight, yet the giant mole waited cautiously daring the stallion to make his move, yet instead, Wolverines masked brows turned into some intense scowl, staring at the Maulwurf with the same strange and unreadable look, just like he did with Harry and Angel before, yet strangely, actually be trying to establish some sort of empathic connection with the giant mole and surprisingly, the Maulwurf somehow and like actually being in sync with the X-Men steadily dropped his fierce and defensive temper by calming and settling down, much everypony collective amazement.

Wolverine right then dared to come even closer yet stepping slowly and carefully and not averting his attention and stare from Maulwurf, as the giant mole snorted yet though instead aggressively also edged closer, staring into the X-Men with a rather comforted and interested like look in his amber eyes as right then while being just a few inches away from each other, Wolverine cautiously rose up his hoof and placed it right over Maulwurfs hairy nose with the giant mole closing his eyes and letting out a relieved grunt as right then the empathic bond between the gruff stallion and giant mole reached its top, being like one in sync.

Wolverine though then pulled his hoof out of Maulwurfs snout, before a light feral grunt escaped through the X-Men throat and titling his head a bit on the side as there was yet another caver tunnel, like prompting Maulwurf to leave through it. Grunting softly and like actually understanding the gruff stallions gesture, Maulwurf slowly shifted his gigantic frame around and though hardly a with a slight limping the giant mole crawled his way towards the tunnel, though before leaving, the giant mole glanced back to Wolverine sharing a mutual stares like actually out of empathy saying goodbye to each other before Maulwurf went through the tunnel, disappearing within its depth.

“Okay….That has just happened….” Felicia stammered in a very dumbfounded like manner as everypony around just stared with a dull expressions, unable to comprehend what had just transpired how Wolverine just managed to made such an aggressive and dangerous creature as Maulwurf yield and leave just like that.

“Your friend, Logan, is fully of surprises.” Maud Pie whispered, yet though as always not seemingly that much impressed and her stoic dull expression intact as ever.

“You have said it, Maud….” Spike murmured incoherently.

“You just may call Logan, a real-life Doctor Aybolit.” Spidey playfully quipped, humorously comparing Wolverine to a so-called Doctor Aybolit, actually a fictional character notorious mainly for his care for animals that he loved more than anything else, more like Steve Irwin or Dr, Doolittle for instance.

“Logan….” Cadance murmured above the whisper making her way to Logan with her violet eyes gleaming in awe and respect. “That was incredible what you have just done.”

“You actually had no fear from that Maulwurf?” Pinkie Pie squeaked rushing her way right to Wolverine, grabbing his shoulders and placing her snout just a few inches away from the X-Mens still stammering a bit unnervingly, much for Logans utter annoyment.

“Hurm….Nope.” Wolverine replied with a slight irritation about pink mares persistent casual questions like these.

“Whats that so-called empathy you got with animals? I have seen you doing that trick back at Fluttershy with Harry and Angel, but I had never understood it?” Spike asked, still wondering quite uncertain yet nevertheless curious about Logans natural ability to empathically communicate with animals.

“Hurm….That’s kinda catchy ta describe kid….” Wolverine grunted a little reluctantly, trying to find a fitting suitable answer for young dragons rather offhanded question. “Is works more likely out of instincts or rather out ta sixth sense as well as respect….”

“Guys, guys…” Cadance though intervened cutting the boys conversation out yet speaking with a very diplomatic and decisive like tone. “There will be plenty of time for other things, but right now, lets focus at the matters at hoof, shall we?”

“Agree, Cadance.” Twilight nodded in agreement with her sisters-in-law statement of logic.

“This doesn’t make any sense, guys. Who or what could have done this to that Maulwurf?” Black Cat trailed out, snow shite maned mares voice was though slightly wavering.

“You are telling me, Felicia.” Spidey muttered in agreement scratching the back of his masked head also that much dumbfounded. “Frankly, there aren’t many other creatures in Equestria that could present a threat to a Maulwurf to be recon with. Maybe a full grown dragon of Arimaspy with their clear size advantage, brute strength and fire breath to have an upper hand, but….Not likely….”

“I agree, Peter….” Twilight stated acknowledging her husbands theory patting her chin thoughtfully. “Maulwurfs usually spent a vast majority of their lives underground and just rarely coming up surface, mmm…..”

“To be honest….” Maud Pie though spoke off, therefore causing everypony around to shift their attention to Pinkies older sister. “The only creature that might present any threat to Maulwurf….Is another Maulwurf, usually fighting for dominance or over territory.”

“That is indeed a very convincing opinion at the matter, Maud.” Cadance nodded her head affirmatively in agreement with Mauds unique opinion indeed as Spider-Mane, Twilight and otherpony could do nothing but agree also.

“Maybe…” Spike trailed out thoughtfully. “Maybe it was that Maulwurf that caused all those quakes on the first place after all.”

“I ain't think so….” Wolverine however grunted quite in objection, causing everypony around to shifted their collective gazes right to X-Men.

“What do you mean, Logan?” Twilight asked, curiously titling her head on the side.

“I mean, that there was just only one Maulwurf here ta begin with, before we git here.” Wolverine explained casually.

“What makes you say that?” Spidey asked.

“Cause th' smell….”Wolverine replied quite for his teammates awe, yet paying no mind, the X-Men cleared out his nostrils sniffing the local air of the cavern. “As I have said, there is only one kind of smell, th' smell of musk odor around, th' Maulwurfs, but….Hurm…..” Wolverine grunted as he looked around the ground, that however looked somewhat rough, trampled and somewhat broken along with some of the rocks being smashed on little pieces, like some sort of rampage went on right there.

The X-Men crouched to take a better look, taking a few sniffs around the ground also shoving his hoof over the dirt and once again, though much for everyponys disgust licking the dirt to taste it before again spitting it out, as the gruff stallion instantly recognized that something unfortunate must have happened within the cavern, growling suspiciously. “Hurm….Looks like there was a fight broken out here, between that Maulwurf and….Sometin' else.”

“Something else? What?” Pinkie Pie squeaked both curious as week as slightly unnerving in the same time.

“Hey you guys…..” Black Cat although murmured with a rather disturbing thoughts came into cat burglars mind. “Don’t you think….?”

“That….” Twilight trailed out thoughtfully, by inwardly guessing Felicias opinion.

“Thing….” Spider-Mane casually finished out for his wife.

“That…Rock…Hound…Thingie?” Spike added the mention of that strange mysterious thing the Avengers were tracking down all this was underground.

“Well…” Spider-Mane murmured as he checked his scanner as the device screen was picking up a steady regular line of soundwaves of an average magnitude, indicating that the Avengers were getting close. “Looks like we are on the right trail, alright.”

“Hum….” Wolverine snarled once again as he scowled by taking a look around scanning the cavern, as the X-Mens masked glare centred itself on something that more likely looked like a hole int the nearest caverns hole. Wolverine cautiously approached the wall in order to take a better look on the hole, studying the hole cautiously, yet the mutant stallion noticed some sort of large scratch marks on the edges of the hole, which quite looked like identical to the marks over the tunnel they had just came in, judging to be actually teeth marks as the pieces of rocks were actually bitten.

Wolverine judged, that whatever it was, the strange Rock Hound thing as he called that that way, it indeed had an enormous powerful jaws with blunt yet edged teeth, suited for crushing rocks and soil and for digging through the ground. Yet, the X-Men also noticed some more holes around the cavern wall, as the X-Men also started checking them out to find some more clues by trying to figure out what had exactly happened along with the Maulwurf being intervened, while his Spider-Mane, Twilight, Cadance and the otherpony decided it would be better to just give their gruff mutant friend a space letting him work, waiting up for Wolverines judgement.

However and out of the sudden, some sort of ringing sound echoed out of Twilight ear, much for young princess slight fright yet also remembering that she actually wore an earpiece in her ear, Twilight settled down and pressed the button on the earpiece device with her hoof to copy. “Um, hello?”

“Twilight. This is Sunset, do you copy?” Sunsets voice echoed transmitted from the earpiece communicator, although it was slightly wavering and being rather distorted via electronics, perhaps due to a bad signal by the Avengers being that deep underground.

“Sunset. I copy. Whats up?” Twilight replied quite surprised to hear Sunsets voice, although having some difficulties to hear Sunset voice due of the caverns signal disturbance.

“Twilight. I have been doing a research as well as checking the surveillance gear here in Peters lab in Golden Oak Library, indicating massive vibrations of a very high magnitudes from the centre of the earth that occurred on different areas of Equestria in the past few days indeed.” Sunset Shimmer reported through the commlink.

“Arent you just telling us anything else what we are not already aware off – Oh!” Spidey sarcastically muttered over the transmitter, yet though Twilight kicked her knights front hoof with her own yelping painfully, instantly shutting him up with an annoying glare not to disturb while having a call.

“Go on…” Twilight replied prompting Sunset to continue in her report with an interest.

“About those quakes….” Sunset went on through the commlink. “The readings indicates about some sort of irregularities in the volumes. It seems that the magnitude scales were regularly and steadily gaining on strength before also declining just that fast in the same time. It rather appears those quakes would be getting closer and actually moving.”

“But, that sounds impossible.” Twilight murmured quite sceptically back into her earpiece.

“Indeed…” Sunset replied in agreement from the commlink. “My best judgement would be, though as crazy as it might sound, more like a cause of a natural movements of lithospheric plates, it looks like that something actually must have caused those earthquakes instead. Yet though yet I cannot figure out what exactly just might be the possible cause….”

“You know, Sunset….” Twilight replied by cutting Sunsets theory short. “We are on the trail of something, or more precisely some…Thing, that actually caused those quakes.”

“Really? Where are you guys anyway?” Sunset Shimmer stammered, wondering what Twilight and otherpony were up to.

“Right now….” Twilight trailed. “We are approximately hundreds feet underground, somewhere underneath the Rockville, going down here through a large tunnel and right now we are in a large underground cavern.”

“You what…?!” Sunset shimmer blurted out, her voice in the earpiece buzzling in distortion, causing Twilight to cringe a little bit about the sound. “What are you guys just doing there underground, the tunnel and cavern? Its not safe! With the seismic activity and those quakes could happen anytime…”

“I know.” Twilight replied comforting yet also understanding Sunsets concern. “But as I have said, we just might by on the trail to find what actually might be responsible for all those quakes on the first place.”

“Like what?” Sunset replied quite interested.

“We exactly don’t know yet….” Twilight stammered somewhat uneasily. “But, Logan who had found its tracks and leading us down here through the tunnel, calls it….Rock Hound thing…”

“Well that doesn’t sound too good….” Sunset Shimmer muttered within the commlink, her voice sounded unfortunate yet also strangely bearing a hint of a slight sarcasm about Twilight describing that thing that way as she did.

“Guys.” Wolverine who was so far checking out the area of the cavern, sniffing around and searching for clues in order to learn more what exactly happened in there, yet right then the X-Men spoke up in a very decisive like tone, prompting Twilight, Spider-Mane, Spike , Cadance and other Avengers around to instantly shift their collective attention the their mutant teammate.

“Sunset, I will have to be over.” Twilight replied into her earpiece. “Looks like Logan is on to something…But thanks for the call.”

“Alright. I will keep watching the seismograph gear and I will inform you if there is any change.” Sunset replied before the communication between two lines was shot down.

“So, what is your conclusion, Mr Sherlock?” Spidey quipped half nipping and half playful in a nonchalant Dr Watson like stereotype, yet inwardly the masked stallion was wondering what Wolverine found out, as well as the rest of the Avengers were that much curious.

“This is how it has happened….”

Wolverine made his way closer to the tunnel they all came through. “That thing was diggin' its way through th' ground, right here inta this cavern….” Wolverine explained as it made a couple of cautious steps like actually trying to walk in that things path. “It went its way here….Right then it bitten right inta that rock wall over there, chewin' on soil….” The X-Men pointed on that hole over there that apparently looked like to be ripen out before going on with his theory. “Yet….That thing did th' same with those other holes all around this cavern….Like actually takin' a bites, tastin' each of those rocks…” Wolverine stated with his tone getting more and more cautious.

“Maybe those rocks had bad tastes?” Pinkie Pie intervened squeaking by trying to give Wolverine some ideas although in a very comical and unorthodox like manner as usually yet both Spider-Mane and Twilight hushed her pink hyperactive friend not to disturb in order to finish Wolverines judgment.

“Yet…” Wolverine proceed with a light snarl coming through his throat. “That thing while eatin' its fill on soil and rocks, it git disturbed in its meal…..As yet another creature, th' Maulwurf dug its way through crossin' its path with that large tunnel, makin' tis was through inta the cave, as that thing was apparently trespassin' its territory.” Wolverine explained, indicating on that injured Maulwuf, which apparently explained tis musky scent odour that the X-Men smelled its way through the tunnel into the cavern. “Like I have said, a fight broke between th' Maulwurf and that thing face to face.” Logan stated pointing on the rough, trampled and somewhat broken ground in the middle of the cavern, where apparently the conflict ensured.

“Th' Maulwurf was th' first ta strike, wresltin' and pinnin' that thing down th' ground by its neck usin' its strong forearms as right then draggin' it around, smashing several rocks in th' process.” Wolverine unfolded his theory further, stepping around in a careful and meticulous motions an attempt to reanimate the events how that possibly happened also evident by some rocks being smashed to pieces.

“Yet nonetheless that thing managed ta break itself from th' Maulwurfs death grip, takin' a chance ta try and bite its opponents flank, with th' Maulwurf though attemptin' ta slash that thing with its claws, though apparently ain't doin' any damage at all.” Wolverine went on evident by a piece of fur and skin from the Maulwurfs fur lying nearby.

Th' Maulwurf then decided ta charge head inta that things side, pushin' it forward, though that left him vulnerable ta its next strike. That thing made a sharp turn and clamped Maulwurfs left forearm, draggin' it around and throwin' it over thirty feet away over there.” Wolverine made a couple of steps forward to the place where Maulwurf was thrown. “That thing then grabbed bitin' Maulwurfs back of his neck, draggin' it around inta that rock smashin' it while it struggled ta fight back, before drivin' it through that rock pillar crush' it.” Wolverine went on moving from one place to another in Maulwurfs and that thing trails before approached to a literally crushed stone pillar.

“That thing then charged towards Maulwurf, ramming it with enough impact force sendin' it flying and crushin' right inta that stalagmite….” Wolverine stated as it closed his gap between himself and a half-smashed stalagmite pillar with pieces of rock being spread around, as right then the X-Men took a proper look at the place where Maulwurf was lying.

“Th' Maulwurf was cringin' bein' in pain, severely injured, as that thing came close to it, but….Weird…..Despite havin' it on its mercy, that thing ain't finished Maulwurf off at all….Hurm….” Wolverine growled as his scowled masked eyes shifted on yet another large hole within the cavern wall, that however appeared to be blocked buried by ground and dirt.

Wolverine then approached the blocked hole following the tracks of that thing, as the X-Men immediately came up to a conclusion. “But instead….That thing dug yet another tunnel through here, yet also buryin' th' entrance, erasin' its tracks behind.” The X-Men finished up his speech and theory, now knowing what happened within the cavern.

By the time Wolverine finally was done with his very professional interpretation speech, everypony around who remained silent for this whole time, yet though it was rather out of their mutual total astonishment, unable to say a word nor conceal their collective awes about how the X-Men had just retold the events and what actually happened within the cavern by merely sniffing around as well as judging the matters and the situation by actually reading the tracks around like that.

“That was incredible, Logan….” Cadance stammered, the Princess of Loves voice was wavering though rather out of a pure astonishment about Wolverines apparent formidable tracking and surprising deducting abilities.

“Have you just figured that all out just by sniffing around the air, finding that all out of those tracks all around and be actually reconstructing the entire scene by all your movements and deducting?” Pinkie Pie squeaked with her voice literally cracking yet once again staring into Wolverines eyes face to face, giddiness being present in party ponys motions, just unable to conceal her very own awe and astonishment to the point that Spider-Mane and Twilight once again had to pull her eccentric friend from Wolverine much for their dismay, with Pinkie honestly acting like some crazed fan.

“Well…Hurm….Yup.” Wolverine grumbled dully yet affirmatively though an irritation once again filled the gruff stallions voice.

“It was very impressive indeed….” Twilight murmured to herself above a whisper yet there was also a hint of respect and astonishment vocally present in young princess voice.

“If that is so, where did that thing go then?” Cadance asked and taking a casual look around the cavern.

“I dunno.” Wolverine dully stated shrugging his shoulders. “Th' tracks ends right here at th' tunnel, as that thing buried it right behind, perhaps in an attempt ta erase its tracks. There are some other tracks around th' cavern, but they lead ta nowhere, nor any scent left ta follow either.” The X-Men grumbled yet he touched the ground that was blocking the tunnels entrance with his hoof, as apparently it felt to be still fresh. “Hurm…It seems that it left just a while ago. Th' mud is still fresh. Half, three-quarters of an hour approximately.”

“Looks like we have just missed it then.” Black Cat stated quite disappointed as the Avengers seemingly were left stuck on a dead point.

“This doesn’t make any sense…” Spidey spoke off, the knights muffled voice sounded slightly wavering. ”That Rock Hound thing, whatever it was, what was it even doing here, digging the tunnel down here anyway? What was its deal?”

“And causing all those tremors and quakes on the first place?” Spike added with suspicious.

“Losing its way?” Pinkie Pie quipped if on purpose or not, in an attempt to lighten up the situation a little, yet unfortunately and apparently party loving cheerful pink pony didn’t have much success evident by receiving a couple of bemused and exasperated looks from otherpony.

“My guess is…” Wolverine stated in quite a cautious tone. “That think, was arguably up to and searchin' somethin' down here. But whutever that thing was lookin' fer, it ain't find it here in this cavern.”

“But….What exactly was it looking for down here?” Twilight asked wondering, yet finding Wolverines statement quite plausible as well as everypony around did nodding inwardly.

“Perhaps something valuable….” Spider-Mane stated thoughtfully with his tone sounding slightly promising like hopefully coming up with some hopeful idea about this all thing and matters at hoof.

“You see…” Maud Pie trailed out, attracting everyponys attention. “The underground underneath the Rockville is very rich for a variety of minerals each with unique properties, as well precious stones and gemstones.”

“Mmm…That might be a start, Maud.” Twilight acknowledged Maud Pies though rather offhanded yet nonetheless unique opinion. “But anyway….”

“Guess we would find out faster then we though…” Spider-Mane muttered under his breath, offhandedly cutting his wifes sentence short as he yet once again felt and clutching on his Spider Sense ringing profusely within his cranium, as in instance yet another series of quakes and tremors started echoing throughout trembling and shaking the entire cavern in its centre, although this time with a way much higher and more intense magnitude then previously, with dirt and pieces of rock failing from the ceiling of the cavern, causing the Avengers to brace themselves to hang on and keeping their balance though quite hardly, due to the earthquakes intensity which was apparently reaching a critical level, with even a danger that the entire cavern would collapse.

“It is getting really close now! Look at the readings!” Spider-Mane called out through the noise as his scanning device was beeping continuously like going bonkers, with the readings on its screen being totally off charts by picking up such a high level of soundwave magnitude, like those tremors and quakes would really be getting closer and closer.

“We could have figured that out from the noise!” Spike sarcastically muttered and plugging his scaly ears with his hands out of so much noise echoing throughout the entire cavern.

“Where is it coming from, Peter?” Twilight called out as she and Cadance edged closer to Spider-Mane as masked stallion wrapped his free hoof over Twilights side pulling and holding her close.

“I think….It is on the other side of that….WALL!” Spider-Mane stated yet though then yelling on top of his lungs as the nearby wall on the left side of the cavern was trembling in its very centre, with crackles forming, spreading all over the rock like a gossamer, before a massive crack occurred which more likely resembled an explosion, sending pieces of rocks and dirt around and rising a large cloud of dust in the process, forcing the Avengers to brace and cover themselves from the gust of rubble and dirt.

“Pinkie! Take cover! Maud Pie surprisingly exclaimed quite in contrast with somepony so stoic, indifferent and level-headed like Maud as yet the mare shifted into her inner more assertive and protective side, swatting Pinkie on the side, covering her younger sister from the rubble.

The quakes however and strangely eventually subsided, as luckily Spider-Mane, Twilight, Cadance, Wolverine and the rest of the Avengers along with Pinkie and Muad appeared to be alright and in one piece, although coughing and gasping due to the cloud of all that accumulated dirt and dust around, as the heroes struggled to clear their visions in an attempt to orient themselves and comprehend what had just happened.

Yet however, other tremors then echoed, which though more likely sounded a footsteps, a very hard footsteps of something big, as in the instance a gigantic shadow appeared right within the cloud of dust, though the Avengers couldn’t see clearly to make out what exactly it was, although some of them like Spider-Mane and Wolverine grew rather cautious and wary, being ready if anything, before the dust and dirt eventually cleared itself out a little bit, as right then the Avengers could see, much for their utter collective shock.

Right in front of them, stood a strange giant creature, that looked like a giant dog that was formed and composed entirely out of rock. It had a massive and powerful jaws, posed by teeth resembling sharpened rock stalagmites, yet black eyes with yellow irises, bulky yet monstrously enormous frame and enormous powerful front paws, quite opposite from his significantly smaller hinder legs. All things considered…..It more likely resembled and looking like a golem.

“Well…” Spider-Mane muttered though in somewhat fainthearted like manner, with his muffled voice sounded slightly wavering, if not a little bit scared, quite failing to be humorous. “Looks like he have found our Rock Hound thing.”

In the instance and quite funny as Spider-Mane mentioned that in a cheap hilarious like manner, a thunderous, groundshaking roar escaped out of the monstrous dogs throat, echoing throughout the entire cavern with a potential to shake it in its every centre, the roar passed and echoed through the entire underground cavern complex, making it all shake, like yet another earthquake passed through the underground area.

“No, Peter….” Twilight replied with though her very own voice was crackling. “It has found us.”

“Oh crud.” Wolverine cursed under his breath as thing were about to get ugly.


To be continued…..

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment