• Published 28th Aug 2016
  • 8,069 Views, 237 Comments

Strange Gifts - Rocinante



Sometimes you're given what you wanted most, without ever knowing you wanted it.

  • ...
10
 237
 8,069

The Only Gift That Matters.

I loved snow, but for some reason I could only focus on the cold radiation from the window in Doctor Page’s office. Lambert and the doctor were discussing something, but my mind was on the young couple we’d been introduced to last week: a pretty stallion and his handsome griffon wife.

“Oh? You didn’t tell me about that.” the doctor said with a laugh.

“Hmm?” I asked, mentally rejoining them.

“Your fishing trip,” the doctor answered.

The memory tugged at the corner of my mouth, making me realize I’d been scowling. “Yea, that was our one month celebration. He caught more by chasing them down than I did with a fishing pole.” I started to say I was planning a camping trip in the spring with Lambert, Rumble, and Thunderlane, but closed my mouth. The stack of soon-to-be signed legal forms would cancel those plans.

The doctor gave me a moment, silently prodding me to say something, but eventually looked back to Lambert. “I think Sea Breeze and Granger would like spend some time with you. They have a lovely home on the coast, I’m told. You could fish all you want there. If things work out.”

Lambert fidgeted, then looked to me. I tried to look happy for him. They were a sweet couple. I’m sure they’d make a picture-book family. “That sounds fun!” I said with a forced smile.

“Doctor Page,” Lambert said, looking back to him. “Can I give her that gift we talked about?”

“You brought it?” the doctor asked, a little surprised.

Lifting his wing, Lambert revealed a little, brightly wrapped present. I recognized it as one he’d put under the Christmas tree last week. My mind drifted to wondering if I should give them Lambert’s “Santa Hooves” presents I had hiding in my room, but quit the thought. Tomorrow was Christmas Eve. I had at least a few days left with him.

“It’s yours to give,” the doctor said as Lambert stared at the gift in his grip. “Just remember what we talked about.”

Lambert nodded. “I was going to give this to you on Hearth’s warming morning, but I want you to have it now.”

I knew something was going on, but for now I focused on the gift that seemed so important to Lambert. Peeling away the tape, I opened the wrapping to reveal a gorgeous red scarf. “It’s beautiful,” I said, unfolding the crimson silk.

Something solid fell out from the folded cloth. Catching it without looking, my heart stopped when I realized what I was holding.

“Lambert... Did you mean to give me this?”

He nodded. There was a fear in his eyes I’d hoped to never see again.

“I-” words failed me. Eyes squeezed shut, I silently clutched his mother’s brooch to my chest while forcing myself not to cry. It seemed unnaturally heavy as I guessed at its meaning. “Are you asking me to be...”

Again, Lambert nodded. “Would you?”

Nodding instead of saying yes, I fumbled to put on the brooch and scarf. “How’s it look?” I asked.

Bright eyes and fluffed feathers answered me. “Can we go home now?”

“Yea. Let’s go home.” Standing, I gave Doctor Page a smile. “I hope you don’t mind us calling this session short.”

“Not at all.” Doctor Page tore the documents in half with a satisfied grin before dropping them in the waste can. “I’ll let Sea Breeze know Lambert’s no longer available.”

“Thanks.” For some reason, I felt bad. They had really taken to Lambert.

The doctor must have read my thoughts. “This just means they’ll find a foal that needs a loving home, instead of one that already has one.”

“Thank you,” I said again, giving him a smile before leaving the room.

The snow was falling heavy when we stepped outside the office. It muffled the voices of caroling ponies into a distant melody and cast the winter day into an early dusk.

“It’s really coming down,” Lambert said, wading through the snow. A snow bank twice his height gave him pause.

I had to snicker when a wing-aided jump sent him over the mound of snow by twice the distance necessary. “Don’t know your own strength?” I asked as he recovered from the hard landing.

Lambert tucked his wings away with a, I meant to do that, air. “I thought it was higher than that.”

Plodding through the snow, I knelt next to him. “You want to ride?” It’d been a good two months since he’d needed the security of hiding, but piggyback rides just for fun were still common. He’d be too big soon enough, I was going to enjoy this while I could.

“So what you want to do with the rest of the day?” I asked after he’d settled on my back.

Lambert hummed for a moment. “Thunderlane’s parents are still coming over, right?”

I nodded. “Rumble and Gold too. It’ll be a little crowded in the house for the next two day, but it’ll be nice.”

Silence fell between us for a moment, the sound of snow crunching beneath my feet and distant carolers filling the void comfortably.

“Can we make hot coco, and go caroling?”

I grinned. Lambert’s discovery of lactase-enzyme pills had made him slightly obsessed with all things milk-based. “I think we could talk them into that. Maybe we could even take Bulk’s Christmas present to him while we’re out.”


epilogue


Mary stalked through her own house like a thief in the night, trying not to wake anyone as she gathered the gifts she hidden in her closet. Behind her, Thunderlane slept peacefully.

Finally gathering the little stack of presents, she kissed the sleeping stallion on the nose before venturing downstairs. Her eyes stayed on the floor as she moved quiet as a mouse down the steps, having memorized which steps squeaked. At the bottom of the stairs she looked back up, but froze, not sure of what she was looking at.

The massive reindeer standing in her living room tucked something under the tree. His ear twitched, then swiveled towards her. “You’re a quiet one,” he said looking towards her.

Mary’s feet instinctively slid into a fighting stance even as she still held the boxes. “Who are you?”

The reindeer struck an exaggeratedly proud, tall pose. “Santa Hooves, of course.”

“Sure...”

He gave her a wise smile. “Don’t believe me?”

She stared at him.

He chuckled. It was a disarming laugh that forced Mary to smile along with him. “How about this then?” His antlers sparkled with magic as a letter formed from nothing. “One of my counterparts asked me to deliver this to you.”

Mary hesitated, but gave in to curiosity. Letting her guard down, she held Lambert’s presents with one arm, then took the letter as he floated it towards her. Her heart skip as she saw ”To Mary” written on it, it was her grandmother’s handwriting.

She looked up to ask how he got it, but she was alone in the room.

Comments ( 51 )

Very Well Done!!!!

Awwww it's over already :fluttercry:

You buffoon added an epilogue without telling me about it

A nice surprise. Merry Christmas :)

Will there be a sequel? Cause I'd love to see more about them.

Well, this was quite nice. While I'm sometimes a sucker for longer stories, I really appreciated the compactness of this one.

Great job:pinkiehappy:

NUUU :applecry: its over already?!

Regardless, this was such an adorable story and I loved every bit of it! :pinkiehappy:

I have read my fair share of adoption stories and this was certainly on the better end of that list. My only regret about this story is that, you have created interesting enough characters to leave me wondering what future brings for them. In other words, a sequel, while not demanded (I'm not that greedy), would be very much appreciated.

Cute ending. It was a bit on the sudden side, but still pretty sweet. I was half-expecting a flash-forward to Lambert introducing a very confused girlfriend to his mother.

This story is so good! It needs a sequel

BEWARE SANTA HOOVES, THE FORCES OF STUPID BRAY THEIR MORONIC IDEALS AT THE CITY GATES!

7816699

I'd love to read that

This came on quickly.. I was expecting a little more before the end

Still a good story

as some readers have already pointed out... there was a pacing issue here, like you just hurried through the chapter, which is kind of sad considering good it's been so far. It's like... *snap* first issue resolved. *snap* second issue resolved, story complete. Did you promise yourself you would be done on Christmas or something?
Overall, still very good, and I was happy to hear of Mary's life in and adaptation to Ponyville (though I could obviously have used some more of it)
But hey, at least you finished it ^^

Well, I like this story a lot. :twilightblush:

That ended far too abruptly but hey, maybe we'll get a sequel?

-Sanity is Overrated

7816329


This was a fantastic story. My complements and thanks to the Author for completing it and not letting it die incomplete.

If the Author would like a suggestion for a sequel, how about a short story told from the point of view of a young filly with a crush on Lambert, as she tries to get his attention in school.

Or perhaps, a story from Lamberts point of view covering his slice of life as he works on the Apple orchard for Big Mac. I think it would be fun to see Big Mac as an employer/boss. He is the oldest working Apple and would manage any employees on the farm in his own quiet way. Lamberts point of view on it would be interesting.

A story about Lambert having trouble fitting into the Ponyville carnivore phobic culture and how his human tries to cope would also be an interesting short story.

It may only be a wish, but perhaps the Author would be kind enough to bless us with all three.

The Monk

7817760

I do understand how you feel, but I prefer an Author complete a story rather than abandon it. Some of my favorite stories were abandoned unfinished. A perfect example of this is "Ten Years Gone by Some Other Guy". A great story with awesome potential that was just dropped. In my humble opinion, I would rather an Author write a short completing chapter rather than just dump a story.

The Monk

7818271

Thank you! :pinkiehappy:

This was never meant to be a long story. It was a combination of me wanting to explore "writing about nothing", and wanting to put my spin on the "My Filly Nightshine" story. (I even asked Abyss for permission to kinda rip the story off.)

I was expecting this fic to be longer. But still, it was a good read. Fav.

Wish it was a bit longer, but loved every bit of it. :pinkiesmile:

That was a nice story. Rather rushed at the end, and I would have liked to see more of how the the other relationships developed, but overall I thought it a very nice piece.

Nice story, but not enough Thunderlane :)

You know what they say, quantity over quality- er, quality over quantity, but quantity is nice. :derpytongue2::pinkiehappy:
EDIT1: Wait, "Story complete"
My reaction: ---> :fluttershysad: :fluttercry: :fluttershyouch: :fluttershbad: :flutterrage:
On a more encouraginh note, I wouldn't mind a se/prequel. :pinkiehappy:

I feel warm and fuzzy now. Will...will we see more of them? Please?

This was a beautiful story, really heart warming. And that very end... those feels.
Thank you :twilightsmile:

More dam it!

Oh my gawd, that was s great story!
Sequel! Sequel! Sequel! Sequel!

This was beautiful. I loved the well written female lead. The characters were individuals and familiar. Also, you made me spit-take at, "He's very flexible."

So thanks for that.

Abrupt - but cute - ending.

7858618
Seconding this. I just read the entire story in a single sitting (when I should have gone to sleep several hours ago) and I would love to see more of Mary and Lambert.

7947350
7939115
Thanks, I had no clue about the show it came out 33 years before I was born and canceled 25 years so I never saw it. Also to the writer, this show came out late 1960 so it's not a 50's tv sitcom show. (Yes I'm aware I'm nitpicking)

I wanna read more.

SSSSSEEEEEEEEEQQQQUUUUUUEEEEEEELLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please?

I have read a few chapters a day this week and just finished this. It was heartwarming and really brightened what has been a trying week for me.

Thank you for writing this.

:twilightsmile:

8357322
When I stated this, I sat out to make something short and sweet, that focused of character interaction more than outside tension. I'm pretty happy with it over all. I should really give a couple of the chapters an 3rd draft. Not really change much, just make the flow and beat of the story a bit smother. I have a P.S. epilogue I want to add, but I'm just waiting on the right mood to hammer that out.

I think a Mature story focused on Mary and Thunder would be fun to write too. Not sure if I'll get to that, though.

Just finished the story, and I thought it was great, but it did leave me wanting more. I want to see how Mary and Lambert make it as a new family, how Thunderlane will be integrated into it, and if there are any problems they'll need to face approaching. Also, little things like what Mary's last name is, and whether or not she really does look like Disney's Mulan like I keep thinking whenever I see the cover image.

Still, if this is all there is, then I think I can live with that . . . for now.

8415732
This world does need a second story set 3-4 years in the future. Hopefully I'll get to write it.

It's funny you mention what she looks like. I commissioned that art, and specifically left her in black&white so that the reader could project her as any race.

Odin / Kringle / Santa Claus is a stand up guy, and I wish there was more Santa Hooves in Fimfic.

This was wonderful hope to see a sequel someday.

Such a beautiful story that brought a manly tear to my eye. It's been sitting in my RIL for quite a while now and I regret not reading it sooner. Well done Rocinante, well done. I hope you consider writing a sequel. Thank you for creating and sharing.

9548542
I think there is another In the same chapter if not the next
Sorru for the late reply, been busy today

Finally got around to reading this and loved it. Other than a handful of typos, the only real complaint is that it was too short... and I mean that critically, not just as the compliment of "it was so good I need more of it" (though that definitely is true too). It was certainly rushed at times, and I don't think there was ever enough time dedicated to establishing a relationship between Mary and Lambert, especially Mary's dilemma of starting out as a reluctant caregiver turning to reluctant to give him up but still reluctant to officially adopt him and the strain that would certainly put on them both since you indicate such conversations took place; or the final chapter when Mary's decision to adopt Lambert is pretty much dropped in her lap.

I will hope there will be a sequel/prequel in the future!

9802218
Can't argue with that. I started this on the heels of a story I felt had gone long in the tooth, and I think that pushed me to error on the side of too short. There's defiantly some emotional beats that I glossed over.

A great story overall, and I really enjoyed that ending. You actually earned a squee from me, my good author, and I don't squee lightly.

I'm also really late to the party, but I really enjoyed this. It hit me right in the feels a few times, especially when Lambert gives Mary his mother's broach.

I do agree with SGDragon though, could've used a bit more development between Mary and Lambert before that point. But nonetheless a very enjoyable read!

That was a perfect ending.

Ever thought about making a prequel. Showing how Mary ended up in equestria and all the adventures she had. And maybe a sequel showing Mary and lambert growing as a family and what not.

Login or register to comment