• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,308 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,308

PreviousChapters Next
When Making An Entrance, Be Fabulous

“The Austraeoh must keep flying,” reverberated the voice, causing the nebulae and constellations to quiver. “The circle must be completed at all costs.”

“Wait...!” Rainbow Dash gnashed her teeth

“The further she goes, the easier we suspect this task will get, for all of yesterday will return to her—”

“Just hang on!” Rainbow drifted through the cosmic expanse while the landscape glided below. “Don't freakin' leave me in the dark here!” She gulped. “The Midnight Armory... the Harmonic Prism... I need that to bring the Elements back, right?!”

“The death of everything doesn't have to be imminent,” the voice continued. Comets streaked by and moons appeared beyond the crest of the revolving ring. “Show her. Teach her. As you are also illuminating yourself.”

“Just answer a straight question for once!” Rainbow squinted aside. She stretched a hoof out, and suddenly her limb made physical contact. The cosmos rippled until they met the geometric lines of a rectangular chamber, and then the illusion normalized. “This quest... this journey...” Rainbow looked straight forward. “Will it bring my friends back?!”

“Austraeoh's birth is nothing without Eljunbyro,” said the voice. “And her purpose is null and void without Ynanhluutr.

“Wait... what?!” Rainbow made a grimacing expression. “Young Hooters?! Huh?! Explain, ya friggin' magic voice!”

“Magic is on your side, Austraeoh. What you need now is inspiration. Use it. Share it.” A bright sun rose beyond the ring, blinding out the rest of the universe. “You will find your purpose, for you are within it.”

“Hey! Stop!” Rainbow Dash waved her forelimbs as she flew straight forward. “Don't just—”


FLASH!

Rainbow collided with a pedestal just as the ruby flames dissipated. Her front half hung over the cylindrical structure as she wheezed, wide-eyed. “—leave me!” She panted, wings drooped.

“Rainbow Dash...” Twilight's voice breathed from across a dull, dark chamber.

Rainbow turned to look—but suddenly lost her balance. A polished golden floor beneath her was shaking. Then, within seconds, beams of ruby light emanated from every groove and fissure built into the subterranean structure.

“What's happening?!” Flare's distant voice shrieked. “It feels like a tsunami is rolling over us!”

“But... we're underground,” Theanim Mane said. “This is something completely different. Blessed Verlaxion...”

“Harpy?!” Sinrar rasped. “I think you triggered something!”

Gulping, Rainbow stared down at the floor. She saw the fine golden lines spreading wider and wider apart. The entire foundation of the place was expanding, and she sensed something brilliant and metal underneath.

“Austraeoh's birth,” Rainbow muttered. Her ears folded back. “Eljunbyro... Blue Shelf!” She spread her wings wide. “Twilight! We gotta get back to the boat! Now!”

But it wasn't Twilight Sparkle who responded. “Huh?! Boat?! Eljun-what?! Rainbow, Twilight, what in Celestia's name is going on here? Where in blazes are we?!”

Rainbow's heart skipped a beat. She spun about and took a deep breath—

“Rainbow!” Nick hollered from a distance. “The platform! I think the bridge is giving way!”

“Arrgh... Right!” Rainbow twirled and flew out the dormant chamber, heading straight back for the Swan Song. “Everypony stay in the boat!”

“But—!”

“Trust me!” Rainbow hollered.

“Aaaaaiiieeee!” A dainty voice yelped from a consistent distance behind her. “I... I-I'm flying! Rainbow...?!”

“Shhhhhh!” Twilight's voice echoed. “It's okay! Look at me! Look at me! Relax! Everything will be fine!”

“But—”

“Everything's going to be alright! Just trust in Rainbow—”

CRACKKK! The bridge connecting the central platform to the pedestal chamber fell into the dark abyss below.

“Aaaugh!” Theanim hollered, backtrotting nervously into the central portion of the trimaran. “This whole place is going to come down on all of us!”

“I beg to differ,” Sinrar said, pointing over the side. The platform beneath the Swan Song was vibrating, shaking—and slowly rising. “It would appear as though some of the mechanisms have come back to life.”

“Why?!” Nick grimaced. “Because Rainbow zapped them?!”

“Whatever the case...” Sinrar and the others were jostled as the platform rose faster and faster, forming a cylindrical pillar beneath them. “...we're going to run out of room fast.”

“Huh?” Nick tilted his head up and glanced at the looming ceiling. “Oh jeez!”

“Eeeeeek!” Flare hugged Nick tight. “We're gonna be crushed like clamshells!”

“Grkkk!” Nick's purple eyes bulged. “Honey. Can't. Br-breathe!”

“Console your filly, ya filly!” Sinrar growled, then glanced aside. “Harpy, you got us into this magic mess. Can you get us out?”

“Way ahead of you!” Rainbow climbed the rising ship's mast until she was within spitting distance of the metal ceiling. She stroked her hoof along her ruby pendant, summoning a crimson light. “Where's the aperture?”

“A little to the left!” Theanim exclaimed, pointing. “But... wait... are you going to do what I think you're going to—”

“Everypony!” Rainbow hollered. “Into the center of the boat! Hold onto something! Most of all your breaths!”

“Bloody hell,” Sinrar said, ducking into the cabin.

“Flare,” Nick wheezed. “Going to need your swimming talents really soon!”

“Mmmhmm! Mmmmhmmm!” The Nealender nodded, trembling.

“This is absolute chaos!” a haunting voice warbled. “What's Discord done to us this time?!”

Rainbow Dash hesitated, her ears twitching.

“Rainbow, I've got her!” Twilight's voice resounded. “Do what you have to do!”

“Right.” Rainbow gnashed her teeth and raised her hoof right before the Swan Song's mast could make contact with the ceiling. “Buck it—”

The aperture lit up like a blazing fire. It opened with the grace of a cat's eye, and a veritable deluge of seawater vomited straight downward.

Rainbow took the brunt of the liquid blast, but she nevertheless held onto the Swan Song with strong limbs. She heard the muffled cries of ponies below, but then all was silenced from the sheer volume of water.


The Lagoon rumbled. A deep gurgling noise emanated skyward as if from the heart of a geyser.

Muttering, the curious natives stood thickly along the Atoll's inner shoreline. Kaji, Silver, and Sora stood up in their canoes and craned their necks.

Within seconds, an enormous spout of water billowed upwards from the heart of the lagoon. The jets shot sky high, frothing with white water and hot steam. Before long, an enormous golden spire rose up, gaining more and more altitude. The air filled with gasps of awe as every Nealender stood with gaping muzzles.

Everypony was too distracted to see the Swan Song bursting up out of the depths a few dozen meters away from the rising structure. As water cascaded off the surfaces of the bobbing vessel, its crew members emerged one at a time, gasping and sputtering for breath. A few meters way, Nick emerged with Flare protectively holding him. The couple waded in the surf, gawking up at the giant cylindrical tower that had become a new landmark in the center of the Nealend Atoll.

Once the furious minute had passed, the waters normalized. The tower came to a rigid stop, standing over thirty stories—a height that loomed majestically above the lengths of the surrounding seas. Its golden surface glinted with sunlight, reflecting off of the treetops and the waters below.

With no other recourse, the Nealenders cheered and applauded, all marveling at the new addition to their home. Verlaxion's name was shared across the Lagoon in communal gasps, and several occupants unabashedly dove into the surf, swimming out to the structure so that they might touch it with their bare hooves.

All the while, Sinrar and Theanim Mane stood up, wringing the seawater out of their manes. Sinrar found Theanim's camera bobbing in the nearby surf, and he picked it up and hoofed it over to the scientist. Theanim took it with a thankful nod, examining its contents and exhaling with relief to see that the waterpoof seams hadn't split apart in the tumult. Once everyone's breaths had collected—and Flare and Nick had swum back to the trimaran—they looked around for Rainbow Dash.

The pegasus was still clinging to the mast. She flung her slick mane back and stared up, up, up at the towering cylinder. A confident breath escaped her nostrils. “Heh... how's that for a dang gift?”

“Twilight, I... I just don't understand,” murmured a delicate voice that shook Rainbow to the core. “Where are we? Who are all these ponies? And... and how come there isn't a drop of moisture on me after all of that? Or on you!”

Rainbow Dash bit her lip. Slowly, she tilted her head and looked down. She saw a lavender shade squatting right in front of a pale shade, both seated on the port side of the Swan Song.

“Twilight?” In the glinting sunlight, Rarity's blue eyes came into focus, as did the purple sheen of her immaculately kempt mane. “Is... is something the matter?”

Rainbow's eyes traced the direction of Rarity's gaze. Twilight's hoof was making contact with Rarity's shoulder. Physical contact.

“It's...” Twilight Sparkle murmured. “It's... wonderful...” She sniffled, and tears filled her eyes. “Everything's so wonderful!” She flew forward, flinging her forelimbs around the unicorn until they were hugging tight. “Oh Rarity! I love you!” Twilight wept. “I'm so glad you're back! So very, very glad! Oh thank Celestia!”

“Twilight!” Rarity cooed. Her voice had a haunting musical tone that stole the breath out of Rainbow. “What in Equestria is wrong?” She patted the unicorn's back, nuzzling her. Cuddling her. “I'm right here, darling.”

“I know...” Twilight wept, tears coating her lavender muzzle. “I kn-know!” She sobbed and nuzzled Rarity even harder. “We're both here!”

Rainbow hugged the mast, biting her bottom lip.

“Well, harpy?” Sinrar stood up. With a twitching expression, he struggled to follow the direction of the pegasus' teary eyesight. “Did it work? Eh? Was this all worth it?”

Theanim listened in curiously, quivering all over.

Rainbow attempted to rub her cheek dry. She failed. “And a half,” she said with a shudder.

PreviousChapters Next