• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,305 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,305

PreviousChapters Next
Twenty Thousand Dashes Under the Sea

Even while just trotting out of the luxury suite, Rainbow Dash could feel the difference. The bulkheads of the Arrowfish vibrated a little less. The whole ship's hum had dropped to a low pitch.

Passengers and crew members congregated around the starboard port holes, staring out while murmuring in muddled conversation. Shuffling up to one window in particular, Rainbow Dash soon discovered why.

Gazing out, she caught a series of sharp rock bluffs sticking up out of the middle of the ocean. The earthen structures quite literally appeared out of nowhere—in the middle of calm seas lying otherwise uninterrupted for countless miles and miles.

Ships, yachts, and delivery vessels of all shapes and sizes congregated around the bluffs—but they were all dwarfed by the significantly larger assortment of thick iron plates forming a horizontal platform around the centermost promontory of rock. The metalworks here dwarfed the ramshackle materials that made up the bulk of Rust far up north. Rainbow could immediately tell that the structures had a great deal more time put into them, and they had been far better maintained over the course of the last few... decades? Centuries?

It was difficult to tell, but Rainbow could guess that the platform structures held a great deal more antiquity than the ones she had seen back in Rust. Their surfaces were a charcoal black metal. The iron was so thick that—if it indeed the material had rusted—she ventured to guess that it was so thick and layered that such oxidation didn't pose much of a threat to its structural stability. Even from hundreds of meters away, she could spot ginormous black rivets holding the various joints and lattices together.

Flanking the western edge of the platform, Rainbow spotted a very elaborate contraption about four times the size of the Arrowfish. At first, it was difficult for her to make out, but then the Mark Two came about, approaching the structure's broad side. She realized that—beyond an elongated metal plank that acted as a drydock, complete with a crane and loading platforms—she was looking at an elaborate transportation station. Two very large tubes—like cylindrical train cars—were hanging from steel girders affixed to the iron platforms. Thick, tight cables ran diagonally downward—straight into the drink—and they very obviously supported the weight of the two tubes waiting in their station. Around this contraption, several earth ponies trotted in tight circles, shouting towards one another, preparing for the unloading process about to take place. Several pegasi flew overhead, monitoring the docking procedures while signaling with brightly enchanted stones.

“What you're looking at is the Undertrolley,” Theanim Mane said out loud, answering Rainbow's questions before she could voice them. He pointed out the porthole in front of them. “Notice the thick metal hull and the iron-reinforced windows?”

“Is that...” Rainbow blinked. “...gonna take us to the ocean's floor?”

The stallion nodded. “Straight through the gates of Shoggoth.”

“So the real Shoggoth is underwater.” She pointed. “And this... this is just—like, I dunno—the transportation and ticket center?”

“Erm... that's an interesting way of labeling it.” He nevertheless smiled. “Suffice to say, it's the one part of the entire Shoggothan real estate that the Muddredgers absolutely one hundred percent own.”

“Lemme guess. The rest below the waters belongs to Camellia and the sirens?”

“It's governed by them. However, if it weren't for the diligent craftponyship of the earthen and unicorn equines who wanted to make something out of this amphibious union, then what we're currently docking with wouldn't be remotely possible,” Theanim said. “This particular Undertrolley has survived centuries of the ocean's hardest elements. It's transported hundreds of thousands if not millions of souls all these years, day by day. Even the Queen herself has used this transport.”

“Huh...” Rainbow exhaled, her breath slightly fogging the porthole. “It's kind of a crying shame that the Syndicate had to dirty the place up.”

“Mmmmm... yes. And yet no.” Theanim smiled. “I think you'll find Shoggoth quite a bit more hospitable than the likes of Rust.”

“Is that cuz of the royal sea horse's doing?”

“That's one way of putting it.” Theanim motioned. “Come, Miss Dash. If we're to make the first Undertrolley passage down, then we'll have to go about leaving the Mark Two swiftly.”

“Doc, wait...” Rainbow Dash held a hoof out towards him. She gulped and said, “I... uh... I know that Bard and Wildcard did something super generous to make sure I had a good place to crash over the past few hours. But... but I just know you had a hoof in it somehow. So, for what it's worth—”

“No need to thank me, my dear,” he said with a chuckling breath. “I was getting quite sick of sitting out in that most deplorable hallway as it was.”

“Still. I... uh... I-I can't always afford to be as awesome as I wanna be.” Her voice cracked upon saying that, but she nevertheless steeled herself. “I think of all the ponies I've met since I landed in these oceans, you've been... the most understanding.” She took a deep breath. “So, y'know, thanks for everything.”

He blinked at her, his ears twitching. “It... gives me great honor to hear that.”

“Yeah, well, it felt good saying it.”

Silence. A faint smile hung between them.

“Right.” Theanim cleared his throat. “I'd best summon Echo. He needs to play the part of a stallion in distress.” A roll of the eyes, and Theanim shuffled back to the suite. “That shouldn't be quite so hard.”

“Y'know, the dude's a lot stronger than he lets on.”

“I know, Miss Dash.” And the Mark Two shook all over from docking into place. “I know.”

PreviousChapters Next