• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,295 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,295

PreviousChapters Next
The Weight That You Return To

Rainbow Dash sat on the platform's edge, staring out at the lengths of the Quade. In her peripheral vision, she sensed an ever-present yellow glow. She knew that if she just turned her head slightly to the right, she'd see Yaerfaerda in perfect clarity.

She refused to move one inch.

“Whew...” Bard exhaled, shuffling through his bags and belongings. “...sure been a long time since I tried heavin' all this stuff over my shoulders.” He slung a canvas satchel over his shoulder, feeling the weight. “Ggghhhh... yeahhh...” He let the heavy weight fall back to the platform with a thud. “That will be fun to haul through the skies once again. Heheh...” He smiled mildly as he dragged his guitar case over. “I swear, I really let myself go this week. Nothin' but ocean mangoes for days. Who'd a thought them fruits was so fattenin'?”

Rainbow's ears flicked, but she didn't say anything. Twilight, Rarity, and Pinkie hovered around her in similar, melancholic silence.

Wildcard was much slower and—of course—quieter in packing his things. Every so often, the griffon would glance over at Rainbow Dash. Somewhere between his stoic beak and featureless lenses, there lingered something faintly resembling concern.

“Maybe you could help them pack, Dashie!” Pinkie chirped.

“Pinkie...” Rarity shook her head and held a hoof before her muzzle.

“But...” Pinkie blinked... then blinked again. “I-I was only trying to be...” She bit her lip, took one look at Rainbow's slumped features, then sighed... her ears folded while her mane looked a tad bit straighter.

Bard, in the meantime, reinforced the straps of his canvas satchel with some extra cords. “Looks like all our platinum bars from Rust are still in our packs! That's somethin' to be thankful for, right?” He smiled crookedly. “I mean... not as if there was ever a chance of them humble monks grabbin' any piece of it... but... erm...” He sighed. “Hrmmmfff...”

Rainbow exhaled, her wings drooped at her side.

Wildcard gestured at Bard.

Bard grunted. “No, it wouldn't! Would you just give it a—?!” The stallion clenched his eyes shut, seethed, then sighed once more. He squatted down on his haunches besides Rainbow Dash, staring in the opposite direction. “... ... ...look, Rainbow, darlin'... I'm sorry it couldn't work out.” He gulped. “Again.”

“Not your fault,” Rainbow dryly murmured.

“Ain't it?” Bard ran a hoof through his mane. “I certainly sealed the deal when I let slip that we'd been in the shrines beneath Shoggoth.”

“Wouldn't have mattered,” Rainbow said. She calmly stared out at the northern mountain ridge looming high above the shallow waters. “The pilgrims were enraged already.” She gulped hard. “And it's only because I let it happen that way.”

“Well... Rainbow...” Rarity floated closer, hugging one forelimb with another. “To... be rather blunt, you did let out an awful lot of information in one go.” She winced slightly, not sure of Rainbow's reaction. “Far too much for any sane pony to chew, regardless of their spiritual outlook.”

“I know, Rarity.” Rainbow gulped. “I know. I just... I was so friggin' afraid that they'd be form a blockade against me that I let them do it.” Rainbow gazed down at the Reed. “The same thing happened in Durandana.”

Wildcard gestured.

Bard looked at him, then at Rainbow. “'What was different about Durandana?'”

“What? Like... You mean how did it work?

“Hey...” Bard shrugged with a slight smile. “Not my question.”


“The Sword of Solstice,” Twilight remarked, glancing at Rainbow Dash. “That was your leverage.”

Rainbow looked from her to Bard. “In Durandana, I had concrete proof. Through the Sword of Solstice, I was able to get the 'elders' of that place to talk to Princess Celestia. And... it's not like I expected anything to happen with them overnight. I let them keep the Sword so that they could make amends with the ruler of Equestria over time.”

“And it worked, right?” Bard asked.

“I... I don't know...” Rainbow gulped. “I'm guessing so. I imagine if they had experienced some collapse and ditched the Sword, then Luna would have told me about it the last time we communicated.”

“Yeah. I reckon.” Bard cleared his throat and narrowed his eyes. “Do... do ya think somethin' like that would have worked here?”

Rainbow opened her muzzle... but hesitated. At last, with a breathy sigh, she muttered: “No? I dunno.” Exhaling further, she leaned her chin on her forelimbs, gazing off the edge of the platform with listless eyes. “The Durandanans were... a piece of Equestria. They were a remnant... a flock of Commander Hurricane. Sure, they may have been long lost from their homeland without a solid memory of it, but a solid piece of Harmony was still with them. Whether they were born with it or somehow just passed it along through intuitive wisdom... I dunno. They received the news I had to give them because a part of them desired to. But here...? This place?”

Her eyes rolled up, following the top edge of the mountain ridge. She stifled a woeful moan.

“...this is something Verlax built. She made it from the ground up... in that she removed the ground.” Rainbow's eyes darted to the Desperadoes. “I'm willing to bet that Verlax caused the Plight itself. She tore a gash in this part of the world, sinking Luminar to the depths. She wounded the same Rohbredden that she claimed to save... and out of the gaping mire she erected a crazy religion... just like she erected the 'miraculous' Reed. Those shoots cover the tower—yes—but they do more than that. They swallow and suffocate the lives of all ponies who come here... ponies who are vulnerable and suffering... ponies who have lost so much and have nowhere to go. Verlax preys upon them... instilling her... mad ideas of circles within circles... repetition of destruction and construction. She produced a Sundering right here and she's made ponies believe that they must destroy all self-identity and desires and ambition in order to atone for something that wasn't even their fault to begin with.”

Bard grimaced. “You... you almost make them sound pitiable.”

“Aren't they?” Rainbow murmured. “I mean...” A shuddering breath as she brushed her bangs back. “...no doubt these 'Luminards' are onto something. There's a peace and contentment of mind here. Heck... I felt it too. Sure, all of those days spent 'meditating' inside their cramped closet truly, totally sucked. Don't get me wrong! But the very instance that... that I had an epiphany... an enlightening... it... it was like nothing else I have ever experienced. And I've experienced a lot.”

Bard and Wildcard sat, listening in silence. The three ghost mares looked on.

“I... I was naked... exposed to my sins... and my hopes...” Rainbow Dash shuddered. “...and yet, for a brief moment, they didn't... didn't have weight to them anymore. I...” She bit her lip, her eyes watering slightly. “I don't know if... you can... mmm... know what that feels like.”

Wildcard looked at Bard.

The stallion exhaled. “Perhaps not.” He gulped. “But I've searched long and hard to feel what you done grasped for a short blink in time, Rainbow.” He bore a sad smile. “Reckon it's a wonderful thang.”

“Is it?” Rainbow frowned. “Or was it just a feeling? You commit to something so intensely and with such dedication for so long—literally banging your friggin' head against the wall—and you can make yourself feel anything. But what is actually there? And what...” She gritted her teeth. “...what is actually missing?

“Fluttershy,” Pinkie whimpered. She sniffled. Rarity leaned over to place a hoof on her shoulder.

Rainbow glanced at them. She looked back at Bard and Wildcard. “The ponies who congregate here feel something. And if that frees their soul, then good for them.” She gulped. “But... there is nothing truly here in the Quade to devour their desires... no real shadow in which they can bury their sins.” She slowly shook her head. “There is only madness... circles woven for no reason except to be undone. And while that may all be conducive to meditation, self-introspection, and ultimately peace of mind... these ponies are still blind. All they know is the sensation of peace, but they don't know what's outside of it... what's encompassing.”

“But if it works for them—?”

“It doesn't matter!” Rainbow Dash suddenly snarled, her wings flexing. “Don't you get it, Bard?! Verlax set this whole thing up! The Quade's a trap! All souls who come here are eventually ensnared, forcing themselves to believe in one thing! And when all you know in life is some self-imposed peace without reason, then all you're actually living in is...” She blanched.

Wildcard raised a curious eyecrest.

“What?” Bard asked.

Rainbow gulped, staring off into the sunlit distance. “...a prison.”

Twilight blinked.

Rainbow clenched her teeth. “She was right... it is a prison.”

“Who was right?” Bard asked.

Rainbow continued murmuring: “And now...” She pressed a hoof to her face, grimacing. “...Fluttershy is stuck in that same prison.” She gulped. “And it's all my fault.”

“Rainbow, darling...” Rarity smiled. “You tried—”

“Yeah, well...” Rainbow lowered her hoof, snapping. “I tried too hard! Who here can deny that?! Huh?!”

Rarity bit her lip. Pinkie Pie sniffled again.

Rainbow blinked. She sighed, hanging her head in her hooves again. “I'm sorry... I'm just... so sorry...”

“Rainbow...” Twilight gulped. She floated closer. “When was the last time you rested? Or got any sleep?”

“It doesn't matter...” Rainbow muttered. “Fluttershy...”

“Bard and Wildcard have a backup plan for that.” Twilight smiled, lowering her voice to a gentle whisper. “Rainbow, look at me.”

Rainbow tilted her face up, eyes watering.

“You. Are. Not. Giving up. On her.” Twilight's eyes were nevertheless glossy. Still, she reached a hoof forward as if to caress the mare, speaking: “You've exhausted all options here. But you mustn't blame yourself. We're here with you. Bard and Wildcard are here as well! You had your time carrying the burden. Why don't you let them carry you for a while?”

“You mean...” Rainbow Dash shuddered. “...like Eljunbyro?”

“Hmmmm... hehehe...” Twilight grinned. “Why not, huh? I mean... that would make some sense, wouldn't it?”

Rainbow bit her lip. She almost turned to look at the Desperadoes, but her gaze faltered.

“It's not the end of the world just because you're flying away from Yaerfaerda for a time. Let them lead the way for a bit. They can be your beacon for the time being. And then, when we have all of our cards together, we'll come back here and get Fluttershy out.” She grinned. “Let's let friendship and harmony be the key. It's always been the case, hasn't it?”

“But Twilight...” Rainbow Dash grimaced. “I... I don't have... I-I mean...” She fought a panting sensation from deep within, laced with pale sweat. “I don't know if I can—”

“Can what?”

Rainbow avoided her gaze. Her ears folded. “... ... ...take... mmm... a back seat.”

“Heehee. And why not?” Twilight smirked. “You've let far nobler companions take the helm before, haven't you?”

“Yes, but—”

“Awwww Hell,” Bard muttered.

Rainbow and Twilight looked over, blinking curiously/

Bard nodded his head towards the nearest platforms below. “Guess they ain't foolin' around.”

“...?” Curious, Rainbow turned and looked over her shoulder.

Galloran and Menthe stood within a stone's throw. The two stallions paced and paced, their stalwart gazes locked on the upper platform.

Wildcard exhaled out his beak nostrils, then gestured to Bard.

“Reckon so, mofo...” Bard nodded, sighing. “Rainbow, darlin', hate to cut things short...”

“No...” Rainbow stood up, wincing from her bandaged forelimbs. “No, I-I get it.” She picked Luna's saddlebag up and smiled weakly at the cowcolt. “'Let's mosey.'”


It was not a cheerful affair.

As Menthe and Galloran escorted the three visitors towards the eastern platforms, dozens upon dozens of Luminards stared from various lofty, shady positions. The monks' expression were a mix of confusion, concern, and melancholy. Not a single angry face could be seen among them—and Rainbow Dash wasn't certain whether or not that made the situation any more comforting.

“Talk about party pooped,” Pinkie Pie slurred. There was no reaction, and the ghostly mare didn't expect one.

Rainbow adjusted the tight satchel on her back. She winced—for her coat was still raw from a week of wearing sackcloth—and it made the strangely unfamiliar sensation of being reunited with her saddlebag ten times more awkward. She glanced to her left.

Pilgrims flinched upon ruby eye contact with the mare. They swiftly returned to weaving, meditating, and delivering linens from one platform to another.

Rainbow exhaled. She looked to her right.

From a distance, she spotted Sonikah overlooking a group of monks weaving a fresh new platform together. As Rainbow Dash trotted on by, she could spot Sonikah's posture growing more and more tense. Sunlight glinted off the pilgrim's cheek, and soon Sonikah was rubbing the bottom of her eyelids with a quiet shudder.

Rainbow's muzzle hung open. She took a deep breath as if to say something—

“The pilgrims do not wish to be disturbed,” Menthe droned.

Rainbow clammed up, staring down as she trotted the rest of the last platform.

“Dun suppose there's a canoe ride in store for us,” Bard muttered.

“I beg your pardon?” Menthe rasped.

Bard adjusted the weight of his guitar case, glancing over his shoulder at the old stallion. “I mean, there's still a heck of a lot of Quade to... out-Quade...”

“If you're concerned about the 'no-flying' rule, don't be,” Menthe grunted. “You three can take off from the platform's edge right here.”

“Heh... what's the use of breakin' anythang else, now, amirite?” Bard added with a plastic smile.

Wildcard winced.

Menthe breathed and said nothing.

Rainbow was too busy listening to the tense silence that she barely noticed the yellow figure shuffling directly towards her. The mare looked over in time to see Nicro shuffling up towards the group, carrying a bundle of sackcloth. There were a few hissing whispers—breathy warnings from the other pilgrims that Nicro passed—but she swiftly completed her trot, coming to a nervous stop in front of Rainbow and the other two.

“I... I heard about what happened, Rainbow,” Nicro said, chewing briefly on her bottom lip. “And... a lot of pilgrims are just as confused as I am. Others say that you did a horrible... horrible thing.”

“Then you probably shouldn't be talking to me, Nicro,” Rainbow said, and made to trot off—

Please...” Nicro stood in her way. “I... I only wanted to give you something to help you with your journey.” With shivering hooves, the mare gently unfolded the sackcloth bundle, revealing a small bundle of plump fruit.

Rainbow blinked. “Ocean mangoes...”

“I know you and your friends are probably sick of eating them by now...” Nicro smiled nervously. “But they will keep you filled and healthy for the long trip ahead. There's... uhm...” She turned and pointed towards the southern mountain ridge. “...there's a forested plateau along the southeast edge of the canyon where several more of the fruit grow. From healthy trees! You could pick a whole bunch of them... uhm... depending on how far you're going to be flying, of course.”

Rainbow gazed at her, then at Bard and Wildcard. She reached forward and scooped the sackcloth bag up in a forelimb. “Uhm... th-thanks, Nicro...” She smiled as warmly as she could. “That's... that's very kind of you.”

Nicro smiled. “I just wanted to make sure you left here knowing that Verlaxion's mercy never runs out. Perhaps you... h-haven't discovered it for yourself... but I see in you a mare who understands what it means to be peaceful and understanding. Maybe you'll come back to bless us with both of those qualities someday.” She cleared her throat, then bowed low, braids flouncing. “Please, Rainbow Dash, don't ever give up hope.”

Rarity smiled. “Now that is a good gift,” she said softly.

Rainbow looked at her, then back at Nicro. She cleared her throat. “Thanks, Nicro. And I won't. I... I promise.”

Nicro gazed up at her, smiling. Then—catching Menthe in her peripheral—she stepped aside with a shudder. Menthe shuffled up, his stoic expression plastered to the three visitors.

“Right...” Bard reached out to Rainbow Dash and took the mangoes. “...nice to know somepony is thinking ahead.” He tossed the fruit to Wildcard. “How 'bout it, Dubya? Ready for some tree-pickin'?”

Wildcard grabbed the bag, nodded, and slipped it away in his satchel.

Bard stood on the platform's edge, spreading his feathery wings. “Hmmmm... a good wind. Shouldn't be hard to find our way to the fuel-scrapers. Whaddya reckon, mofo? Red Barge? White Barge?”

Wildcard pointed down his throat and waved a hoof.

“Eh... dayum straight. Red Barge sucks. White it is.” Bard looked aside as Wildcard and Rainbow Dash stepped up. “Ya ready, darlin'?”

“Ready as I'll ever be,” Rainbow muttered.

“Quade clears out in about two and a half miles due east,” Menthe said, waving a hoof.

“Got it. Thanks.”

“So long, guys,” Galloran waved with a nervous smile. “Uhm... for what it's worth, I hope you three have a safe, easy flight—”

“Boy...” Menthe inhaled.

Galloran winced. He hung his head like his crossbow and said no more.

Rainbow kicked off the platform... and instantly felt the weight of everything. Gnashing her teeth, she fought past the pain, and darted against the wind. Together, with her companions, she left the Luminards and their circles, bending southeast for a last second salvage of food for the journey.

PreviousChapters Next