• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,303 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,303

PreviousChapters Next
Good Things Float To the Top

Rainbow Dash's tour into the heart of Rust did not end anytime soon. The canals stretched on for “block” after “block.” With each twist and turn of the artificial streams, it looked as though the city expanded, revealing more docksides and warehouses and catwalks and overstretching platforms. Gradually, Rainbow began to understand the basic construction of the city more and more. With Rarity's help, she took notice of rising layers of overlapping platforms—undoubtedly built on top of each other over several centuries of progressive enterprise. It wasn't exactly the most beautiful of architectural feats, but a certain degree of masterful intricacy couldn't be denied.

The complex array of looming structures allowed for a cooling shade, and Rainbow felt herself becoming relaxed—almost as much as Theanim Mane. She glanced left and right, observing ponies as they strolled from one section of the city to another. No single set of eyes took notice of the Midnight Dreary or its crew. Rainbow and her companions could very easily have been invisible. The residents were so used to passing visitors that the yacht was all-but-ignored, a sensation that was the polar opposite of the Nealenders' curious antics. Rainbow hadn't felt so insignificant since she last set hoof in a Ledomaritan city. It was an unexpectedly haunting sensation, and she almost longed for the days when every single pony on the K.M.C.A. campus eyeballed her with intense scrutiny.

“There's a special saying in Rust,” Theanim explained, casually gliding the ship into a larger body of water surrounded by drydocks. “'The only thing colder than money is no money.'” He glanced over his shoulder with a smile. “The ponies here honor Verlaxion as we do on the Continent, but it takes more than mere praises to keep a society thawed.”

“Lemme guess,” Rainbow murmured. “Verlaxion only helps ponies who help themselves.”

“Heh. That's a whimsical interpretation,” Theanim said. “It's more accurate to say that the Queen first ever united the Six Tribes in hopes that she'd kindle cooperation and progress.”

“So... Verlax laid an egg and capitalism popped out.”

“Is it so very different in Equestria, Miss Dash?”

“Eh...” Rainbow shrugged, glancing at Rarity and Twilight. “We had free enterprise back home. But it wasn't everything. After all, there's a lot of stuff more important in Equestrian than money.”

“Like what?”

“Harmony,” Rainbow said. “Bits are one thing. But when it comes to peace, tranquility, and survivability—ponies set aside everything else and work together for a common goal. Like in the spring, during Winter Wrap up: an entire village comes together to clean a city from the effects of winter and wake animals from hibernation. It brings us all together without... y'know... relying on pure bits and profit.”

“And every race of your civilization engages willfully in this?”

“Pretty much, yeah,” Rainbow Dash said with a nod. “I mean, most ponies have their rolls. Unicorns take care of the animals. Pegasi take care of the skies. Earth ponies take care of the... mrmm... earth.”

“So, in a way...” Theanim Mane thought out loud. “...you all perform a ritualistic Thawing every year.”

Twilight and Rarity exchanged glances.

“Well, sure...” Rainbow nodded. “I guess that's a way of saying it.”

“Fascinating,” Theanim remarked, aiming the yacht towards an open space along a marina's metal dock. Sunlight scattered through the blades of a windmill and a wall of windblown netting suspended above. “I'm intrigued as to what inspires such a society without the divine intervention of somepony like Verlaxion.”

“Well, we've got Princess Luna and Princess Celestia.”

“As you've told me.”

“But they're more inspiration to us than... er... caretakers. I mean, sure, eons ago they secured this plane and breathed life into it, but they've learned to leave well enough alone. And considering all of the complex societies I've seen, I don't rightly blame them.”

“And what would inspire a Divine to do otherwise, I wonder...?”

Rainbow's brow furrowed. “A Dragon Divine you mean?” She cocked her head aside. “But I thought 'Verlaxion' was a pony.”

Theanim bit his lip.

Rainbow stared at him, squirming slightly.

Just then, the pair hood pronounced hoofsteps. A group of dockworkers were trotting that way.

“Ah. The dockmaster,” Theanim spoke up. He rolled the rudder wheel one last time, mooring the yacht into a stopping point along the metal platform. “Let me talk to him.” He pointed at a spool of rope. “In the meantime, you know what to do.”

Rainbow did. While Theanim discussed the price of docking, Rainbow tied the vessel into place, fastening it securely. With a flap of her wings, she perched atop the dock itself. To her mild surprise, it felt no different standing on a piece of Rust than it did sitting on board the Midnight Dreary. As large as the platform city was, it was still—for the most part—floating.

“What's the matter, Rainbow?” Rarity asked.

“No matter where I go, I'm still gonna be seasick,” Rainbow whispered back.

“I wish we could relate,” Twilight remarked. “Everything is... well... floaty for us.”

“Eh...” Rainbow shrugged. “If it bothers me too much, I'll just flap my wings the whole time.”

Soon, Theanim finished bargaining with the dockmaster. Rolling over a hoofful of bits, he secured forty-eight hours worth of docking time. Rather swiftly, he turned his attention to the other travellers who were just then disembarking from the yacht.

“Doctor Mane...” They each took turns shaking his hooves. Smiles a'plenty were shared between them. “You've been a blessing from the Queen herself. If ever we're to cross paths again in Robhredden, please, allow us to pay your room and board for months.”

He chuckled. “If I'm ever conducting a scientific survey in the lower highlands, I just might take you and your families up on that offer.” He bowed low. “On behalf of the Order, I wish you warm breezes and even warmer waters.”

“I do believe we've enjoyed enough of those,” Mrs. Cobbletrots said, eliciting a chuckle from the rest of the group. “Farewell, Doctor. Do be careful...” She nervously glanced at Rainbow. “...won't you?”

Theanim winked, adjusting his goggles. “I will be just fine. Take care, milady.”

At last, the group parted ways. For the first time in over a week, Rainbow and Theanim were alone—relatively speaking.

“Somehow, I don't think I will entirely miss them,” Rarity muttered.

“Yeah...” Rainbow nodded. “...why do I get this suddenly weightless feeling?”

Theanim Mane laughed. “I insisted more than once that you try socializing with them.”

“You'd have better luck asking me to remove their kidney stones with a straw.”

“Grotesque, but nonetheless charming.” Theanim motioned after Rainbow as he began ascending the nearest metal platform towards the higher levels. “You should try your unique brand of humor on the locals. It might provide us an even warmer reception.”

Rainbow gulped. “I'm not sure if that's an awesome thing or a scary thing.”

“Perhaps a bit of both?” Theanim shrugged as the two reached a higher level, bustling with tradesponies. “I'm not going to lie, Miss Dash. Rust is the perfect city for a brave soul like yours.”

“Don't worry, Doc.” Rainbow smirked. “If any shifty ponies give you a bad look, I'll kick their teeth in for you.”

“Rainbow...” Twilight quietly chided.

“Oh, I'll bag 'em afterwards, of course!” Rainbow mused. “But first comes the kicking.”

“Better make that second,” Theanim said. “The first agenda, actually, is finding an inn.”

“An inn?” Rainbow blinked crookedly. “As in we're gonna sleep in this junkheap overnight?”

Shhhhh,” Theanim hissed, glancing about nervously in the thick of the crowd. “Mind what you call 'junk' in this place, Miss Dash.”

“Oh. Right. Don't wanna step on the Syndicate's fetlocks, do we?”

“Most assuredly. And as for the inn... well...” He exhaled calmly. “...I never said that finding Echo would be impossible. However, it may be time consuming.”

“Oh.” Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Great.”

“One thing at a time, Miss Dash.” Theanim caught his bearings and led them towards a line of buildings, at the end of which were several three story tall residences. “For now, we too—like this city—must find a way to stay afloat.”

PreviousChapters Next