• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,304 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,304

PreviousChapters Next
An Arrow Fish Through the Heart

Well, we kicked flank and took many a name.

Without want of fortune, flair, or fame

Save for the bars we could carry on our back

Gaining only what the bad guys lack

And that is how the desperadoes roll

Yes, that's how the desperadoes roll

Bard finished strumming quietly on his guitar. He lifted a wing, closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. Then, glancing across the corridor where he and the other three sat, he smirked. “Whaddya think? It's a work in progress.”

“Mmmm...” Theanim briefly glanced up from arranging the many-many frames of photographic evidence. “It certainly is... musical.”

Wildcard held his metal thumb sideways.

“It sucks donkey balls,” Echo grumbled from under his makeshift blanket.

“Awwwwwwww...” Bard pouted, leaning back lazily and plucking away at some more strings. “Now why do ya gotta be like that, bat-boy?”

“It's not 'bat-boy,' it's Echo!” An angry flash of fangs and slitted eyes from underneath the cloak. “You would do well to remember it!”

“Yeesh. Alright. Whew!” Bard smiled over at Wildcard. “Who stuck a crescent moon up in his craw?”

You don't get to insult the lunar beacon like that!” Echo hissed.

“Why, old chap, I'm surprised,” Theanim remarked. “You hardly ever preach the sentiments of midnighter folklore.”

“Well I'm sorry if I'm a little bit backwards all of the sudden!” Echo grumbled under the hum of the throttling watercraft. “Lest you forget, I was once a nocturnal creature, but because of all this asenine ass-over-elbowing over the past thirty-six hours, I've got my brain noodle all out of whack!”

“I could have sworn all the coral huffing did away with that.”

“And being forced to go cold turkey certainly isn't helping, Theams!” Echo snarled, flinging the cloak over his figure as he huddled up. “Grrrrrr... once this is all over, I swear, I'm locking myself up in the deepest cave and kissing all daylight goodbye for good.”

“Hrmmmf..” Theanim Mane frowned. “Not this time, old chap. You're not leaving my sight until you're clean of all habits, I swear.”

“Mfffffhhghhh... what do I have to do to be rid of you crudtastical jackasses...?

“Eat up!” Rainbow chirped, suddenly there. She dropped bowls full of fruit and bread onto the floor before the four. “It's complimentary to everypony with a ticket!”

Wildcard leaned forward, craning his feathery neck with interest.

“Well, I'll be dog-gone!” Bard immediately slid his guitar back into its case and rubbed his hooves together in anticipation. “Now that's what I call a real treat!” He scooped up an apple and immediately took a large, juicy bite. “Mmmm-mmmm!”

“Good choice,” Rainbow said with a wink.

“Mmmrmmmfff...” Bard took another bite and sighed dreamily. “Imported straight from the southern Rohbredden groves. I can tell.” He hoisted another apple from the bowl and tossed it at the griffon seated across from him. “How 'bout you, Dubya-Cee?”

Wildcard caught the apple, turned it around, examined it up close through his goggles... then liberally stabbed the fruit with his beak.

Rainbow winced from where she hovered.

Wildcard chiseled and hammered away at the apple until he yanked the core out. With a sickening crunch, the griffon snapped the hard matter to bits, his feather crests relaxing in delight. He then tossed the pulpy meat of the fruit back into the bowl as if it were scraps.

“Closest thang to a crunchy rodent this side of Rust,” Bard explained with a wink.

Wildcard gave a metallic thumb's up.

“That's... uh... that's good to know,” Rainbow muttered.

“Boy, I tell ya what...” Bard grabbed a banana and leaned back with a lazy grin. “Pay or no pay, this here's about the most luxurious Dubya-Cee and I have had it in months. I reckon a 'thank you' is in order.”

“You're welcome,” Echo stirred under his cloak/blanket. “Now go hunt down a wyvern and toss him around. See if you get just as frickin' lucky... mrmmmfff.”

“If you ask me, things could stand to be a bit more luxurious,” Theanim remarked. He frowned briefly, looking up from the photographs. “The sale of the Midnight Dreary couldn't quite afford us cabins, unfortunately.”

“Hey...” Rainbow shrugged, landing on the floor and coiling her wings. “I can dig it. Then again, there was a time when I just slept in any tree that I could find.”

“Heh...” Bard gulped and smiled, halfway through his banana. “Imagine that.”

“When, pray tell, did the deep adoration for hammocks blossom?” Theanim raised an eyebrow. “Hmmm?”

Rainbow sighed, her ears folding back in a melancholic malaise. “Please... we don't talk about the hammocks.”

“Heheheh...”

“Grffff...” Echo moaned again. “...are you asshats quite done?”

“Eat up, old chap,” Theanim remarked. “You could stand to have some meat on your bones.”

“Yeah, buddy!” Bard smiled, rolling a peach towards him. “Eat them vittles! Does a body gooder!”

“Meh...” A sarosian fetlock slithered out and batted the fruit back. “Says the ignoramus who—only a day or two ago—wanted to peddle me to murderers and thieves.”

“Awwwwwwww...” Bard pouted. “Y'all still sore about that nonsense?”

“I'm sore about a lot of things,” Echo grumbled. “I just can't afford a toilet confessional to dunk my head in at the moment.”

“Well, how about the next best thing, ya melon fudge?” Rainbow remarked, shoving another bowl towards him.

“Please,” Echo grumbled, shifting under the blanket. “Unless it's a smoking hot curvaceous coral golem come to rescue me, I want no part of it.”

“Not even the crunchy, meaty, pulpy parts of it?”

“... ... ...” With a fuzzy sniffle, Echo poked his squinting face out from underneath.

A bowl full of shrimp and crayfish stood before him. Rainbow Dash smiled meaningfully from a few feet away.

“Look... I-I don't care for munchable stuff that was once... living stuff. Ahem. But I know a thing or two about sarosians. Back home, they were all about catching insects and moths and dragonflies n'stuff. I happened to have met a few ponies both young and old who were into the same thing to. And... like... I know that these underwater creepy-crawlies aren't exactly the same, but... y'know... they're still meat, so maybe there's a part of you that'll like—”

“Just shut up already,” Echo grumbled. He flung the blanket over his leafy eared head. Then, a few surly seconds later, he reached a hoof out and dragged the bowl of red shelled things in with him. A disgustingly loud crunching sound emanated, followed by another.

Rainbow tried not to wince. She failed.

After a liberal smacking of lips—and no small amount of fang-scraping—there was a silent pause, then a weak and feeble: “Thanks. Mrmmfff... for what it's worth.”

Theanim blinked.

“You're welcome,” Rainbow said, plopping down beside the scientist. She smiled in the blanket-lumps direction as the crunches resumed. “For what it's worth.” She looked aside at Theanim. “So, Doc...” She reached into the fruit bowl and tossed a treat into his grasp. “...is that a kumquat in your hooves or are you just happy to see me?”

“Is this your attempt at humor?”

“No, but an incredible simulation!” Rainbow grinned wide.

Theanim sighed, peeling the fruit's skin off with a thin gaze. “This is going to be a long trip...”

PreviousChapters Next