• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,264 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,264

PreviousChapters Next
Be Mindful Who You're Praying To

Rattling, an old wooden spoon hovered in the air, dug into a bowl of rice, and slowly... gradually scooped up several of the white edible granules.

Twilight Sparkle, Rarity and Pinkie Pie sat in a row, gazing across the table, their calm, sympathetic expressions covered in candlelight.

Shivering, Rainbow Dash finished scooping, then shoveled the rice into her waiting muzzle. She took a liberal bite, her bleary eyes shutting as she felt the morsel sliding down her throat. She swallowed, sat still in her chair, then exhaled.

Seconds passed...

Dutifully, Rainbow Dash repeated the gesture. She leaned her head back so that the crooked braids wouldn't be in the way of her forelimb. The spoon scooped up more rice under her tender efforts—but then her bandaged fetlock lost its grip of the instrument. Grumbling, she fumbled and fussed to pick it up again.

A metal talon gripped the spoon, then held it closer to her.

Rainbow's ruby eyes darted at Wildcard. She bowed slightly—not saying a word—then took the spoon from him. Scarfing down another bite of rice, Rainbow continued scooping into the bowl, her motions growing more and more fervent as strength slowly... slowly returned to her body.

The whole time, Bard stared at the scene, his muzzle clenched tight. He took a deep breath, adjusted his hat, then turned to look towards the other side of the rustic interior. “So... she passed?”

“Yes.” Sonikah nodded, standing next to two pilgrims. “She is anointed.”

“By... erm... proxy, right?”

“In accordance with the Penitent Sacrament of Anchorage. That is correct,” Sonikah said. “She has proven to be humble, enlightened, and devoted enough to present herself—along with her anchor—before the glory of Verlaxion for the purpose of deep meditation.”

“In... the lower chapels?”

“If it is so necessary, then yes.”

“But explain one thang to me...” Bard gestured to the slowly eating pony. “How come y'all were goin' on and on about trials... as if there was more than one?”

“I'm afraid I do not understand.”

“That makes the two of us, sister!” Bard exclaimed. “Rainbow kept comin' back night after night from that tiny broom closet of yers, talkin' about how she was forced to do just one thang and one thang alone! Now how come y'all call that one trial in the plural?

“Her first trial was coming to the Quade to begin with,” Sonikah said with a slight smile. “Her second trial was committing to the Sacrament. Her third trial was committing to her exercises with the assumption that there would be a fourth trial... and yet, by passing, she's allowed the fourth trial to exist.”

“Which is...?”

“That of representation and commitment,” Sonikah explained. “Assuming she chooses to return back to Equestria or any other part of the heathen world, she will be carrying the glory of Verlaxion with her. That way, more foals of the Goddess will hear the call and be drawn here to the Quade.”

“Eeeughhhh...” Bard exhaled.

Sonikah blinked. “Is something the matter?”

“I just dun quite fancy how close y'all got to makin' poor Rainbow here dig her own grave.”

“Pain and labor exorcises the soul of distraction,” Sonikah said. “Nopony who comes to Quade is made ignorant of that before initiating anything.” She held a hoof out. “And, if you must know, we would in no way allow for Rainbow Dash to put her life in jeopardy. True, she took an extraordinary long time to achieve enlightenment, and we were very close towards postponing the Sacrament, judging from her deteriorating demeanor. But—by Verlaxion's grace—she became anointed through epiphanous intuition before that motion had to be made.” Sonikah smiled. “This is the method that has been used and continues to be implemented for pilgrims who become anointed. It is simply a far shorter yet far more grueling process for a representative who achieves this through anchorage.”

“Hrmmmf... still...” Bard sighed. “Would have been plum nice if the lil' darlin' was warned.”

“Who hopes to find anything that is given to them before the search begins?” Sonikah replied with a smile.

Bard said nothing.

“Rainbow Dash,” Sonikah said, trotting closer to the table. “As anointed through anchorage, you will be allowed to meditate before the glory of Verlaxion's Reed, but only with my supervision. You may choose the day and the time in addition to the place of this exercise. However, we require that you wait at least two full days before you undergo the meditation process. As it is, your body needs sustenance and rejuvenation. Unlike the trials you underwent, it is required of you to be in full faculty of mind to properly glean wisdom from Verlaxion's presence.” She narrowed her eyes. “Do you understand, child?”

Rainbow looked up from her latest bite of rice. She took a few seconds to catch her breath, then slowly smiled.

“Very well. Contact me when you are ready,” Sonikah said. “Or send one of your companions with word of your preparation. For now, enjoy the food from our supply. We wish you peace of mind and health of body.”

Bowing, Sonikah made her exit, followed by the other two pilgrims.

Bard whistled.

Wildcard gestured in the candle-light.

“Tell me about it.” Bard adjusted his hat and strolled across the room. “I know that they've got everythang all planned out—on account of doin' this for hundreds if not thousands of years... but Verlaxion's sleet!” He instantly, winced, looked over his shoulder, then shuddered at the shadows. “There's gotta be a way to get anointed without getting all dramatic-like.”

Wildcard nodded and gestured something else.

“And just how would we know?!” Bard frowned. “Ain't like they got a grave out here. Hell, they probably just... dump 'em in the Quade if they mess up a trial. No time for a floatin' blaze. Just in and out, like a processin' plant—”

“Bard...” It was a whisper.

Both Desperadoes looked at the table.

Rainbow cleared her throat. Wings drooped beneath her hunched shoulders as she found the breath to wheeze: “...don't be so hard on these ponies,” Rainbow said, her voice raspier than the wind through brambles. “...they... hmmmf... sacrifice a lot of things to... achieve something that they believe is greater than themselves.” Rainbow gulped. “I may not understand it... but I think I'm st-starting to respect it...”

“What do you mean ya dun understand it?” Bard cackled. “You done become 'anointed,' haven't you?” He frowned, gesturing at Rainbow's bandaged hooves. “And I'm not to keen on how you had to get there, either—”

“Nopony...” Rainbow paused to cough... sputter. Once she collected her breath, she gulped and gazed over the rice at him again. “Nopony... asked m-me to do any harm to myself.”

“Then... then how come—”

“It's like Sonikah said,” Rainbow slurred. “I had an epiphany, and I did what made sense at the time. I've... mmmm... n-never been much of a clever pony. When it comes to impulsive solutions, I'm almost always... always hurting myself.” She smiled weakly with chapped lips. “It's j-just... the way I've always b-been...”

Twilight fidgeted, staring aside with folded ears. Pinkie and Rarity hung their heads.

“For all I know...” Rainbow shrugged. “...I c-could just as easily gotten out of there if I just...” She winced, wheezed, then murmured: “Drank the water and spat it out. I dunno. I just... dunno...”

“So, what? Is it dumb luck that ya got out of there in the first place?”

“I...” Rainbow shook her head, eyes thin. “No. No... I don't think so.”

“How come?”

Wildcard sighed and gestured.

“But I really wanna know!” Bard exclaimed. “And so should Rainbow if she's fixin' to go any deeper into all of this than she already is!”

“I... I saw something... felt something...” Rainbow slowly shook her head. “And... and it spoke to me.”

“Was...” Bard gulped. “Was it Verlaxion?

Rainbow sat in silence. Eventually, her nostrils flared. She lifted her weak head up with a firm gaze. “No.”

Bard looked at her.

“But...” Rainbow continued. “I can imagine how ponies... how Luminards could believe that it was her.” She shuddered. “If they didn't go about it as... quick and bull-headed as I did.” She coughed. “I-I mean... mrmmmff... if they did it the normal way, and not through the Sacrament of Anchorage.” She gulped, then waved a hoof in the air. “All of that scripture reading... all those hours and hours spent obsessing over Verlaxion and the Word of Reed...”

“I get ya.” Bard nodded. “When they sit in a place like that for so long and start hearin' stuff... they immediately attach it to Verlaxion.”

“Exactly.”

“Well, if ya know that... and yer not afraid to admit it...” Bard glanced behind his shoulder again, then leaned forward. “Then how come yer allowed to take the next step?” he whispered.

“Simple.” Rainbow blinked. “I am anointed.”

Bard leaned back with a sigh. “Shucks if I ain't confused...”

“You're not the only one,” Rainbow muttered. “I think... that's the beauty of it.”

“Beauty?” Rarity scoffed.

Rainbow's eyes darted towards her, then back at the Desperadoes. “Take it from a pony who knows a thing or two about hearing voices... some more real than others.” She glanced back at the girls.

Pinkie waved, grinning. Twilight rolled her eyes and smirked.

Ahem...” Rainbow gulped. “I know when... it's just me speaking to me...” A sigh. “...and that was the whole point of going inside that 'broom closet,' to meet me... and get me ready for Verlaxion.” She looked up at Bard again. “Only, I dun give a donkey's butt about Verlaxion.”

Bard nodded. “Yer in it for Fluttershy.”

Rainbow nodded back.

“Well then...” Bard leaned back, folding his forelimbs. “You've got yerself yer chance.” He cleared his throat. “What next?”

Wildcard cocked his head to the side, curious.

Rainbow stared straight ahead. A golden light reflected off her bleary eyes that only she could see. “Next...”

Bard and Wildcard listened closely.

“Hmmmmmmm...” Rainbow moved a bandaged hoof and picked the spoon up again. “Next... I stuff myself with rice.”

Bard blinked, then glanced at Wildcard. The griffon shrugged.

“Heeeee...” Pinkie reached over to pat Rainbow's shoulder, even if it phased through. “You go, girl.”


Rainbow Dash lay on her side, gazing off into the starlit Quade below her and the Desperadoes' platform.

She slept... or at least she pretended to. As she lay on the sleeping mat, her eyes flicked to the sound of ghostly voices engaged in a ghostly argument.

“I still think you're overreacting, Rarity.”

“Twilight, you always think I'm overreacting! Learn a new tune already! I'm serious about this. I truly think that Rainbow Dash is allowing the Luminards to drag her in too deep!”

“But the Lemonades wouldn't do that if Dashie didn't wanna go through it to begin with!”

“That's just the point, Pinkie. Rainbow Dash is being far too... inviting. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I think I like her better when she's just... flying super fast and throwing her muscles into things! It appears to be her element!”

“As opposed to...?”

“Making concessions has got to be unfamiliar territory to her! I don't think she's quite prepared for the complexities of the matter!”

“Your point?”

“My point, Twilight, is that whenever she approaches new and seemingly mysterious territory, she goes all out! Because she's Rainbow Dash! And... and I'm afraid—”

“Of what? That she'll become a Luminard permanently?”

“Well, to be honest, yes!”

“Heeeheeheee! Oh Rare-Rare. You're so... so... Rare-Rare!”

“Girls, think about it. Rainbow Dash went a full ten days going through that... that... positively nightmarish ordeal! The three of us barely got a glimpse of it! Shouldn't that be scary in and of itself?”

“Rarity—”

“It was hard enough being forced to spend the bulk of our time... nnnghh... ... ...locked away in that dreadfully bright limbo. But think of poor Rainbow Dash! All of this labor and toil has got to be taking a toll on her poor mind! And she's been through enough already!”

“You're right, Rarity, she has been through a lot. A lot more than you and I and Pinkie can imagine.”

“I dunno. I can imagine zappy-zappy reindeer and floating mountains pretty well!”

“Pinkie, please. Ahem. Rarity, what I'm trying to say is that we should give Rainbow Dash the benefit of the doubt. She's... she's a lot stronger than she was when we first met her. I know that's hard to imagine. But—in our absence, she's had to exercise all the Elements of Harmony. Because she was the only one of us left! The only representative of Equestria, so to speak. Now... any of us in her situation? Yes! I agree... we might be susceptible to whatever's going on here in the Quade. But Rainbow's made out of sterner stuff... because she's earned it.”

“While I find that quite noble for us to believe—Twilight—since it will show how much faith we have in the most Loyal pony ever, I also maintain that we mustn't take for granted just... j-just how fragile Rainbow Dash is right now! She needs us at times like this... when she's at her lowest low.”

“She's been at her lowest low before she brought us out of the Machine World, Rarity—”

“It does not change the fact that she has us now and—as her loyal friends—it's our duty to ensure that she does not get led astray!”

“Astray from what? The crazy circle journey thingy?”

“Yes, Pinkie. The crazy circle journey thingy. Because that way at least she's making progress! But if she gets stuck here, then what will happen to us? What will happen to Equestria?”

“Rarity, honestly, you're making a lot of hooplah over nothing.”

“We need to be strong with Rainbow Dash! We need to put our hooves down at times like this and tell her that there's a better way!”

“But, what if there is no better way, you guys? Should we let Dashie bash her head over nothing?”

“She has her reasons: the runic clues she's found in her travels, the words of Celestia, Whitemane, Axan... the ancient prophecies—”

“And how do we even know that any of them have any merit? Hmmm? Because Rainbow Dash tells us?”

“She's our friend, Rarity.”

“Yes, and she's had to live without us for how long? Desperation does terrible things to an equine being. I mean... h-how do we even know that she isn't just hallucinating this blasted 'Yaerfaerda' symbol?”

“Rarity, she... gnngh... Rainbow found us through that beacon!”

“Or perhaps the poor thing only believes that after the fact! Have you ever thought of that? Hmmm?”

At last...

Rainbow Dash stirred.

She opened her scabbed lips and spoke:

“'Anything's worth it... if it means ensuring a nice, peaceful life in the end.'”

Rarity, Twilight, and Pinkie looked over.

“She speaks!” Pinkie chirped. “Even in sleepdashing!”

“Shhhh...” Rarity floated past her, squinting at Rainbow. “What was that, darling?”

“Grnfff...” Rainbow Dash sat up, wincing from the braids and sackcloth. “'Anything's worth it if it means ensuring a nice, peaceful life in the end.'” She looked wearily at the ghostly mares. “It's something Fluttershy once said to me.”

Twilight blinked. Squinting, she shook her head. “I... I-I don't remember her saying that.”

“Of course you don't,” Rainbow said. “She didn't say it to you.” She looked at all three of them. “She said it to me... the morning Twilight moved in her stuff from Canterlot to the Golden Oaks library.”

“Hmmm...” Pinkie tapped her chin. “...funny... I don't remember Fluttershy being around to help us that day.' Her bright blue eyes blinked. “The filly later said she wasn't feeling good.”

“She was recovering from several flesh wounds,” Rainbow said. “Because...” A sigh. “...just the day before, she stumbled across a snake-bitten female manticore that was foaling in the middle of the forest.” She gulped. “And... instead of flying off to get help—which would have been the safe thing to do... for her—Fluttershy chose to stay there and deliver the foal herself so that the baby could live.”

Pinkie and Rarity gaped.

“Because it was the kind thing to do,” Twilight murmured.

Rainbow nodded. “And at first, I... I didn't get it.” She hugged herself as she squatted on the sleeping mat. “I felt angry... so angry.” Her nostrils flared. “Mad at Fluttershy for endangering herself... mad at the manticore for scratching her up the way it did, even though Fluttershy was only trying to help...” Rainbow sighed. “And I was mad at myself for not being there to help Fluttershy through it.” She gulped. “Getting through this world with only kindness as one's Element? I... I've wondered before what would happen if Fluttershy made this journey instead of me... and just how far she would go. Well, now know that she wouldn't have gotten very far at all. She would have suffered... died... maybe even sacrificed herself a long... long time ago. But one thing's for sure.” Rainbow lifted an iron frown. “She wouldn't have suffered a single regret for any of the kind things she did.”

The three mares hovered in silence.

“My 'epiphany' down there was realizing that,” Rainbow said. “Labor? Pain?” She shook her head. “Everypony goes through them. Only a kind soul knows how far to go to make sure nopony else feels it.” She took a deep, deep breath, her ears folding back. “I... am not that kind soul. But Fluttershy is. And for the briefest of moments... I understood why she is who she is. That's the moment that got me through... the moment that anointed me. And now... at last... I can approach the holiest of holies. I can approach the sanctum of the kindest ponies in Rohbredden and see if I can usher our friend back.”

“Then...” Rarity murmured—almost whimpering. She sniffled. “You're... you're not giving in to the Quade?”

Rainbow stared at her. She smiled. “Would an awesome pony turn her back on her friends, no matter how enlightened?

That was enough for Rarity and Pinkie Pie to exhale with relief. The ponies giggled breathily while Twilight floated ahead.

“So... at the risk of echoing Bard earlier today, just what is your plan now?” the unicorn asked.

“What else?” Rainbow murmured. “I have to see the Reed up close. I have to see if there's a way to reach Yaerfaerda from the chapels.”

“After all this toil, I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to reach Fluttershy!” Rarity exclaimed. “I mean... haven't you gone through enough?”

Rainbow opened her muzzle to reply—

“What do you mean, Rare-Rare?” Pinkie asked.

“I mean...” Rarity shrugged. “Rainbow got Twilight, and thereby returned magic to the Grand Choke. She released me by giving the Nealenders the gift of a magnificent hunt. Then—”

“—she got me out by having a big party under the sea! Woohooo!” Pinkie hopped in the air.

Rarity rolled her eyes. With a sigh, she smiled and said: “I was going to say that she took something serious like the Syndicate and brought their cruel legacy to an end through the most laughable means possible. Ahem. In short... I do believe that she's been exercising the essence of each Element so that Yaerfaerda or what-have-you would cough up the ghostly avatar of Harmony in question!” She turned to look at the others. “Wouldn't each of you agree that Rainbow has more than personified kindness here in the Quade?”

“Hear hear,” Twilight said with a nod.

“Abso-doodle-lutely!” Pinkie chimed.

“Then... if the pattern holds true... Fluttershy should be back in our midst in less than two days!” Rarity squealed slightly, dancing in place. “Oh, wouldn't that be lovely?”

“It's... a solid theory,” Twilight said with a nod. “And it makes some sense that Verlax would make an attempt to interfere at each Seed... assuming her goal is to vex and hound Austraeoh at every turn.” Twilight turned towards Rainbow Dash. “But it looks like we've got the drop on her here, don't you think, Rainbow?” Twilight smirked. “There's no way in Tartarus that the Divine could have expected you to actually go through with what you did, huh?”

“... ... ...” Rainbow Dash stared at the central shaft of the Reed... at the glowing yellow beacon pulsing from within.

“... ... ...Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow jerked towards them. She blinked. Her muzzle opened, and she lingered. At last, she murmured, “I... h-haven't been kind enough...”

“You haven't?” Pinkie squeaked.

“Why, what makes you say that, darling?” Rarity remarked.

“Because it's true. I haven't.” Rainbow's eyes grew misty. “Not until I apologize... to you... to Twilight.”

Twilight Sparkle held a hoof over her chest. “Rainbow, is... is this about the other day when you—?”

“I snapped at you,” Rainbow stammered. “Angrily.” She shook her head, sniffling. “I'd never... ever want to be angry at you girls. Especially...” She winced. “...after all I've been through to g-get you back... to bring you b-back from being d-dead...”

“Rainbow...” Twilight drifted forward until she “sat” in front of the pegasus. She smiled, holding her hooves close as if she could just barely grasp Rainbow's. “You were going through an awful lot—”

“Gnnngh...” Rainbow clenched her eyes shut and shook her head. “That is no excuse!”

“Luminard or not, you went the distance to exorcise your sins and passions.” Twilight smiled. “It's only inevitable that... you squeeze out occasionally ugly things along the grinding road to true kindness.”

Rainbow shuddered, her eyelids squeezing loose a few tears. “I can only hope that I squeezed all of it out.”

“And even if you haven't... you're still Rainbow Dash. You're still our friend.” She leaned in, nuzzling the air right before Rainbow. “And we forgive you.”

“All of us...” Rarity added, sniffling as she came close to Rainbow and smiled with her eyes shut.

“Heeee...” Pinkie slid in, smiling. “Orbit Dashie! Orbit Dashie!”

Rainbow shuddered where she sat. Twilight's last four words spun through her head, and it was a far more nourishing thing than all the rice and mangoes in the world.

“Thanks, guys...” She stifled back a sob. “And I'm gonna make it up to you.” Her jaws clenched. “I'll bring Fluttershy back... I'll bring AJ back...” The lids parted, red on yellow, and then ruby teardrops. “I promise...”


“And do you swear...” Sonikah paced around her in the daylight. “...by your anointed devotion to Verlaxio... to follow all rules of your anchor, even in the presence of the Holiest of Holies?”

Rainbow took a deep breath. “I promise.”

“And to ensure the peace of mind... the well-being... and the sanctity of all other foals of Verlaxion...?”

Rainbow's eyes reflected the faces of dozens of monks positioned around her on the platform. She caught the faces of three mares in her peripheral. “I promise.”

Sonikah continued pacing, orating the last few ritualistic oaths. Nicro stood in the crowd of pilgrims, chewing on her lip and appearing noticeably antsy. From a distance, Kyron watched, along with his fellow elders.

Bard and Wildcard stood at the back of the platform, watching the ceremony unfold before the ramp that led towards the second-lowest platform.

“You gotta admit,” Bard muttered aside to the griffon. “Three days after her ordeal, and you'd think she'd never come close to starvin' at all.” The stallion smirked. “Tough lil' cookie.”

Wildcard nodded. His talons spun in the air, gesturing for the space of three seconds.

Bard rolled his eyes and sighed. “There ya go... makin' me sound like a fool again.” He tilted his hat forward. “Never try to best a poetic griffon, I swear...”

Wildcard shrugged.

“She's going through with it, then?”

The Desperadoes looked aside.

Menthe and Galloran stood on the ramp from a higher, adjacent platform. “She's a great deal more committed than I took her to be,” said the old stallion.

“Funny how some folk are full of surprises, huh?” Bard smirked.

“Or... she's committed to something else entirely,” Menthe droned.

Wildcard and Bard exchanged glances. “Erm...” Bard gulped and looked Menthe's way. “What do ya mean by that?”

“Mmmm...” Menthe exhaled through his nostrils, gazing at the inducted mare from afar. “I'm surprised neither of you 'Desperadoes' have ever bothered to ask why the Luminards don't have pegasi members in their congregation.”

Bard raised an eyebrow.

Wildcard talon-signed.

“'And just why is that?'” Bard interpreted.

“Because...” Menthe bore the hint of a smirk. “Any sentient soul with wings has the good sense of flying away after just three days of being 'anointed.'”

Wildcard cocked his head to the side.

“So... lemme guess...” Bard squinted. “...they just become paranoid 'protectors' instead.”

“And damn good ones at that,” Menthe said, his smile fading. “Just because I'm not allowed into the same sanctum as Rainbow Dash, don't think that I'll be giving up my post for a second. Or my reservations...” That uttered, the old stallion hobbled away, using his fishing lance as a staff.

Galloran shuffled up, clearing his throat. “Well... for what it's worth...” He smiled bashfully. “I wish Rainbow Dash the best of luck... and you two by extension.”

“Well, that's fine and dandy.” Bard clenched his jaw, glaring off after Menthe's figure. “Good to know that one of y'all's aim is true.”

Galloran chuckled. At the sound of trotting hoofsteps, he and the Desperadoes craned their necks, looking at the sudden procession.

Rainbow Dash was being led towards the dark-lit buildings that clung the center stalk of the Reed. Sonikah trotted immediately in front of her, carrying a calm, graceful gait.

Rainbow glanced to her right. She caught sight of Nicro.

Nicro smiled, then bowed. When her head came up, it bore a proud grin.

Rainbow Dash smiled. She tried smoothing back her bangs only to feel the sharp poke of her braids. She winced, her pendant rattling above her sackcloth. So—for extra caution—she slid the Element of Loyalty neatly beneath her scratchy collar. Glancing to her left, she blinked at another sight.

Antstan stood on the darkened platform—a good length from the rest of the crowd. He didn't look at Rainbow Dash directly, but the pegasus could tell that his expression was anything but joyful. For a moment or two, it almost looked like he was glancing over at the procession—but he swiftly turned around and trotted towards the far end of the level, where Kyron silently stood in waiting.

“Well...” Rarity upturned her nose, frowning. “Some ponies just can't be pleased.”

“Shhhhhh...” Twilight frowned. “Please, Rarity. This moment is all Rainbow Dash's.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie remarked hoarsely. “It wouldn't be proper meditation without us keeping mum! So...” She held a pink hoof before her muzzle. “Party softly! Think Fluttershy.

“Yes...” Rarity cleared her throat, speaking in a lower tone. “Yes. But of course.” Smiling, she waved in Rainbow's general direction. “Do carry on, dear.”

Rainbow looked ahead. Holding her breath, she followed Sonikah into the dark wooden hollow of the Quade's lowest chapel... and then began her descent.


The rickety wooden stairs led them down far more than Rainbow anticipated. Then again, it could very well have been her imagination. The distinct lack of candlelight made the entire sojourn feel three times as long than it truly was. All the while, Rainbow kept her eyes patiently locked on Sonikah's figure, her ears focused on the anchor's hoofsteps.

Soon, they did approach a light source, but it was a very faint one, making the upper shacks where Rainbow performed her trials feel like a tanning salon by comparison. If Rainbow tilted her face just right, her eyes could absorb as much as the light possible. This made the shadows bearable, but that was the least that could be said of the smell.

An odor drifted past Rainbow's nose. It wasn't so much foul as it was... once-foul. Rainbow got the distinct impression that she was smelling something that should have disgusted her, but it had somehow lost its substance over time. Now, it simply tickled Rainbow's nostrils, giving her the faint sensation that something was odd... amiss.

“Erm... what—?” Rainbow barely breathed.

Shhhh...” Sonikah insisted, and despite her calm delivery, Rainbow could tell that the anointed mare meant it. The group sauntered past a very tight hallway lined with narrow alcoves. Here was where a tiny lamp hung, and when Rainbow passed the alcoves, she saw what was in them—and simultaneously the source of the queer smell.

“Gaaaaaiiie!” Rarity shrieked.

“Rarity!” Twilight hissed. “Not so loud!”

“But... b-but...” The floating unicorn pointed, her coat turning twice as pale. “Don't you see—?”

“Yes. I do see. Now let's keep moving...” Twilight nevertheless shuddered. “It's... not so strange, really.” She gulped. “The catacombs beneath Canterlot have something like this too. Princess Celestia even sh-showed me once.”

“Well...” Pinkie cooed, her blue eyes darting back and forth, reflecting the hollowed skulls of petrified bodies. One by one, the deceased remains of pilgrims filled the alcoves, their brittle hooves crossed and their jaws aimed towards the ceiling. Several loose strings of the Reed decorated their necks and shoulders. “Guess we have an answer for Bard when we get back from this shindig.”

“Honestly...” Rarity shook her head, fighting the bile rising in her throat. “How the both of you could possibly be so calm after such a ghastly display.”

“It's not ghastly!” Twilight insisted. “These ponies obviously wanted to be laid to rest in the glory of Verlaxion.”

“Shhhh...” Pinkie insisted, hovering close. “Silent Fluttershy party... remember?

The other two ponies instantly clammed up. They gazed at Rainbow's backside with apologetic expressions.

Rainbow briefly glanced over her shoulder. She bore a brief, reassuring smile, then looked ahead. Sonikah took a sudden right turn, descending an even steeper set of stairs.

Rainbow followed.


The stairs led to a wide, rectangular chamber... a dead end... the holiest of dead ends.

Rainbow wasn't surprised by the sheer amount of space before her.

She wasn't even alarmed by how amazingly bright it felt.

What struck her by surprise was that so many other ponies were there before her. No less than two dozen ponies sat quietly in the brightly-lit room. They were elders—all of them—incredibly old, with wrinkles and trembling limbs. Yet, despite their extreme age and infirmed conditions, they each sat—squatted—in straight lines, looking remarkably at ease with themselves... at ease with Verlaxion. Rainbow even saw a smile on a few of their muzzles. She saw everything—the brightness was unlike no other chamber.

Sonikah called for Rainbow Dash—it was breathy, more like a hiss. Rainbow turned obediently towards her anchor. She saw Sonikah feeling around, her eyes squinting. This confused the pegasus... and she leaned forward until she was within reach of the Luminard. After fifteen seconds of fumbling, Sonikah finally made contact with Rainbow's shoulder. With a firm grip, she gently led Rainbow towards the far end of the chamber. Her movement was slow, almost fumbling, which added to Rainbow's confusion.

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. Was Sonikah suddenly blind?

Nevertheless, Sonikah still knew her way. She found an empty spot at the far end of the corridor, and sat Rainbow Dash down. The newly-anointed mare was forced to face the wall...

...and she did so wincing. “Guhhh...” Rainbow clenched her teeth, exhaling. “Mmmf... wow, that's—”

“Shhh...” Sonikah yet again insisted. The anchor did several motions with her hooves. After more than one deep breath, the Luminard squatted down to Rainbow's left. She leaned back on her haunches and held her forelimbs out in a very... very familiar pose.

Rainbow had to squint to see it. The wall before her was so bright. “... ... ...” Several times, she tried opening her muzzle to say something. Instead, she shrugged it off, then attempted to meditate in the same fashion as her anchor. Rainbow faced the burningly-bright wall, held her hooves in front of her, then closed her eyes.

...and that's when Rainbow realized... she could still see the light with her eyelids shut.

“... ... ...” Rainbow's eyes opened once more to the flame. A deathly breath escaped her, and she exhaled three syllables between her lips.

Just as this happened, she noticed three colorful shapes hovering around the wall.

“Omigosh... omigosh!” Twilight Sparkle exclaimed. “This... this is incredible!”

“It's just like in Nealend!” Rarity exclaimed. “I have a horn for metal! This is the same thing that's in the machine world!”

“For realsies, guys?” Pinkie squeaked.

“It's more than that!” Twilight beamed at the others. “I can... feel it!”

“Feel what, darling?”

“The magic! The magic of Yaerfaerda! It's here! Just like it was in the Nealend Atoll and in Shoggoth! Omigosh...!” She turned towards Rainbow. “Oh... Oh Rainbow Dash, I'm so sorry. I know we'd say that we'd be quiet, but—”

“It's metal city up in this biz!” Pinkie Pie barked. “I mean, are you seeing this, Dashie?”

“Rainbow...?” Rarity cocked her head aside. “My word! Why are you squinting? Is there something wrong with your eyes?”

Rainbow sweated nervously. She gazed aside at Sonikah... then at the dozens of old monks locked in silent, penitent meditation.

“It's Yaerfaerda,” Twilight said. “We're the closest we've ever been since arriving in the Quade.” The unicorn gulped. “She must not be able to see it like we can.”

“Awwwwwwwww...” Pinkie pouted. “Poopie.”

“Well, that's not good!” Rarity said.

Thwooosh! Twilight flew up to Rainbow's side, speaking in her ear. “Just try concentrating. Remember... you're Austraeoh. Focus on the energy... let it resonate in you as well as outside... maybe... just maybe that will make it become less bright for you.”

Rainbow was silent. Nevertheless, she slowly... slowly nodded. Closing her eyes—despite the brightness—she meditated... only for a completely different reason than why she was brought there. The mare took several deep breaths, allowing the golden flame to burn through her, to crackle like tiny starbursts in her veins. With each inhale, she thought of home. With each exhale, she thought of Fluttershy's smiling face, how silk-soft her tender hugs were, and how honey-sweet her kind voice felt in weary ears.

And gradually, with each limping minute, the brightness in front of Rainbow dimmed, until it dwindled to that of a burning pyre.

Carefully, calmly, Rainbow opened her eyes. She blinked, her gaze widening as she gaped at the sight before her.

The wall of the sanctuary consisted of shoot after vertical shoot of the dry, yellow Reed. However—split up the middle—were two noticeably large gaps. A few of the cylindrical planks had spread apart—either through the forces of time or by something else entirely. Whatever the case, this caused a pair of slits to be formed: a thin one on the left and a thick oval-shaped gash to the right. It was through the right one especially that Rainbow spotted a slick length of polished metal, wide enough to touch with the full extent of her hoof.

From beyond this, Yaerfaerda glowed. But there was something else. Rainbow saw the hint of brighter-than-bright lines... yellow lines... forming six ornamental circles within a larger, seventh circle.

“Well, Dashie?” Pinkie asked, pointing at the bright lines from beyond the Reed. “Do you see it?”

Rainbow nodded. After a dry gulp, he exhaled: “Ynanhluutr...”

A door.

Nervously, Rarity and Twilight glanced at Sonikah, then at the rest of the elders. Nopony bothered to react to Rainbow's quiet outburst—or else they didn't hear it.

“Does... does that mean...?” Pinkie gulped. “...that the door to Fluttershy is right flipping there?!

“Shhhh!” Rarity insited, floating closer. “Even if it is, that's not going to help us... or Rainbow for that matter.” She pointed incredulously at the Reed. “I mean... look at it!” A tiny whine. “It's barely wide enough to fit a bit bag through!”

“I could have sworn...” Twilight murmured.

“What?”

Twilight gulped. “That... th-that it would have been wider... or larger.”

“It... it just doesn't make any sense...” Rarity pouted. “When the Kyron described it—”

“Rarity, we're talking penitent monks here. Something like this?” Twilight pointed. “Even the tiniest bit of space missing from their holy Reed must be extremely dramatic in their eyes.”

“Ohhhhhhhhh...” Pinkie slumped in mid hover, pulling at her face muscles. “I wanted to see Fluttershyyyyyy...”

“Let's... let's just quiet down. Remain calm,” Twilight said, waving her hooves. “Allow Rainbow to do her meditation. Tomorrow, she can visit the other chapels, and maybe there the Reed will have even more space missing—”

“The other chapels?!” Rarity hissed sharply. “Twilight, dear, weren't you paying attention earlier?” She flung a hoof. “Rainbow specifically asked to visit the 'holiest of holies,' and that is where Kyron and the others said the Reed was 'most fragile!'”

“Well, maybe that's just a matter of interpretation!”

“Are we seriously going to get into a game of semantics deep down here in the bowels of a Holy Bamboo Hut?!”

“Shhhh!” Twilight insisted. “Could we discuss this a little quieter?”

“Oh please. Hmmf! Rainbow must be just as ticked off about this as we are!”

“All I wanna know is...” Pinkie sniffled. “How are we gonna get poor Fluttershy out now?”

“... ... ...” Rainbow looked at them. Nostrils flaring, she looked to her side.

Sonikah sat dead still, her eyes perfectly shut. Her body was so peaceful and dormant that it was difficult to count her breaths. The elder was evidently in another world.

Rainbow clenched her teeth. She looked at the other elders... at Sonikah... and then...

She stood up.

“Hear me out,” Rarity said, waving at Twilight. “We'll let Rainbow finish her... mmmfff... 'session' here. But immediately afterwards, I suggest we have her go forthright to Kyron and demand some answers to—” Rarity paused. Both she and Twilight spun to blink at the blue body shuffling icily past them. “...Rainbow?”

“Rainbow, what are you doing?”

Rainbow mouthed two words, then looked past them. She approached the Reed, standing up on her rear legs.

“Dashie!” Pinkie squeaked, pulling at her own mane. “Are you crazy?!”

“Rainbow!” Twilight rushed up, hovering at the mare's side. “Sit right back down this instant!”

“I-I must agree with Twilight on this, darling!” Rarity stammered, floating up. “After everything you worked so hard for, don't throw it away for—”

“I...” Rainbow whispered. “...I-I think I can touch it...” She threw a look over her shoulder. Sonikah still sat in dead silence, meditating deeply. Nopony was watching—not even the elders. Rainbow returned to the shoots, touching the yellow-beams with her hooves as she peered at the metal surface beyond. “...I might even be able to get it to open...”

“And then what?!” Twilight gritted her teeth. “Rainbow, you can't possibly fit through that!”

“Rainbow, just think about this for a second—”

“Almost... mmmff...” Rainbow leaned in, stretching her hoof through the wider slit on the right. “...got it...” Her reaching limb was just inches from Ynanhluutr's glowing lines. She gnashed her teeth in frustration. “If I could just... j-just...” She held her breath, grasped a lone shoot, and started slowly bending it to the left—

“Dashie!” Pinkie yelped. “Don't be a hero!”

“Just... have to try...” Rainbow wheezed through clenched teeth. Her eyes flickered red-on-yellow. “Rrrrgh... for... Fluttershy's sake—”

“What in Verlaxion's name are you doing?!” A voice from behind.

“Oh noes!” Pinkie shrunk into a floating pink ball.

Rainbow threw a look over her shoulder.

A figure with burning red braids stood at the sanctum's entrance, his ice blue eyes piercing.

“Antsan...” A wrinkled elder struggled to stand up. “My child... you are not allowed here at this moment of—”

He pointed, snarling: “She's attacking the holy Reed!”

“No! I'm not!” Rainbow sputtered. “I just gotta see—”

Her hoof slipped on its grip of the shoot. The beam bent back into place... and cast loose a spontaneous sprinkle of gray frost in the process.

“Grkkk!” Rainbow's eyes flickered again, hard this time. “Mmmff...”

“Huh?!” Rarity stammered—or at least she tried to. Her body vanished from head to tail like a snuffed candle. “Snow...?”

“Verlax...” Twilight yelped, spinning towards Rainbow. “Rainbow, chaos meta—” And she disappeared amidst the dizziness.

“Dashie!” Pinkie managed as she too vanished. “Your pendant—”

Rainbow teetered back, eyes rolling. A ruby hole was being burned in her sackcloth in the shape of a lightning bolt.

“Stop her!” Hoofsteps. Pounding.

Sonikah had finally snapped out of it. She looked up, gasping. “Rainbow! What are you—?!” Not wasting another breath, she jumped up to her hooves and beat Antsan to the punch, tackling Rainbow.

“Ooomf!” Rainbow whimpered—just as her pendant slipped loose, the harmonic energies overloading.

A fiery bright beam shot out just as she was being tackled—

FLASH!

—and it blasted ineffectually into the dull floor of the sanctuary.

“Gnngh!” Rainbow grunted as Sonikah pressed her to the floor.

“I knew it! I told you—that damnable heathen artifact would cause trouble!”

“Bless me...”

“What's going on?”

“Great Goddess! Is the poor foal okay?”

“Anointed one, what's wrong with you?”

“Grrr! Get her out of here! She's threatening the Reed—”

Antsan! That is enough!”

“But—”

“Will one of the elders please restrain the newly-anointed.”

“I... I just saw her trying—”

“I must get her out of here. I'm her anchor. I'm her responsibility.”

“Do you need a hoof, Sonikah?”

“Yes, elder. By Verlaxion's strength...”

Rainbow stirred. Through the dizzying numbness, she sensed gentle hooves lifting her up and swiftly carrying her towards the stairs...

“No...”

She cooed.

“No, pl-please...”

She whimpered.

She gazed limply across the way... at the Reed... the light beyond it.

A curtain of frost dripped chaotically from the disturbed shoots... then vanished completely... and all that was left was the lonesome yellow glow of Yaerfaerda. Ynanhluutr was now just a memory. The door...

“Please... Fluttershy...” Rainbow cried, her eyes rolling... the world tossing across an endless sea. “I... was so close...”

Sonikah murmured orders to the other pilgrims. The lights flickered. Stairs... wood... skulls... everything decaying and petrified. In the distance, Anstan roared like a scoffing dragon.

“So close... forgive me...” Her eyes fluttered shut. “Forgive...”

And all went dark.

PreviousChapters Next