• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,307 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,307

PreviousChapters Next
Friends, Invisible Friends, and Dry Landings

“Just a little more, Rainbow Dash!” Rarity exclaimed.

“Rarity's right!” Twilight Sparkle added, darting left and right ahead of the pegasus and her two Desperado companions. “You're almost there!”

“Swim a bit lower, darling,” Rarity insisted. “Trust me. You'll want to make this as soft a landing as possible—”

At first, Rainbow Dash didn't understand what Rarity was talking about. The glow from Yaerfaerda below practically blinded her. Then—with a flash of a different light, she plunged through a wall of water—or air. Either way, she was gasping when she and her two swimming mates passed through the barrier, only to instantly fall. Several feet later—

Th-Th-Thwump!

All three fell onto hard sandstone. A dim gold light kissed their water-slick figures, and they lingered there, momentarily writhing from the sudden shift in sensation.

“Grfff...” Rainbow Dash was the first to sit up, dripping all over. She swung her hooves up, fussed, struggled, and eventually popped her helmet off. Hissssss! The mare inhaled deeply, her eyes rolling back. After a few sputtering breaths, she relaxed... more or less. Rainbow Dash fell back on her haunches, staring weakly across the inexplicable interior.

She saw dull-brown walls with hundreds—if not thousands—of intricate etchings, carvings, and thin-lined illustrations. They depicted a variety of countless aquatic equines in motion, all swirling towards a narrow corridor leading towards the opposite end of the labyrinthine chamber. Lying around the edge of the room, Rainbow Dash could see various buckets, crates, and carving tools. It became apparent to her that—as elaborate as the interior of the chamber was—it was still very much unfinished. She pondered on this, until a scraping sound to the side stole her attention.

Rainbow Dash pivoted right. She gasped, then scampered over to where Bard and Wildcard sat. The griffon was already struggling to yank Bard's helmet off from the outside. Rainbow rushed in to assist, and the two gently removed the desperado's headpiece. Hissss!

Bard wheezed, wheezed, and wheezed some more. He collapsed, only to be caught by Rainbow Dash and Wildcard. The stallion shuddered, gnashing his teeth slightly. As the minute wore on, his breaths normalized, and his body relaxed slightly.

“You okay there, dude?” Rainbow asked.

“Guh... am... I... okay... and... a... half...?” Bard stammered.

Hissss! Wildcard had removed his helmet. The griffon winced, twisting his neck left and right as he got used to being able to look forward yet again.

“Guess... that's... what... I get... for... leaving behind...” Bard swallowed hard. “...my lucky hat.”

“Really?” Rainbow Dash arched an eyebrow, standing up. “Really, dude? After all of that, the only thing you can think of is your stupid hat?”

“Of c-course... I-I'm mighty thankful... for yer savin' grace...” Bard gulped, gradually tilting his weak head up. “But... I just... wanna understand... one thang...” His tired eyes narrowed. “...how in Hell's bells didja know that my air was depletin' back there?”

Wildcard gestured dramatically.

“Right...” Bard nodded. “And just h-how did ya know where to swim? All we saw was darkness!”

Rarity swooped in. “Rainbow, the corridor ahead leads down in a spiraling pattern and ends at a particularly thick doorframe,” Rarity said. “And beyond that is a large circular chamber of sorts.”

“The Machine World!” Twilight Sparkle exclaimed, grinning wide. “Rainbow Dash, it feels just like the place we entered back in the Nealend Atoll!” She danced I place. “Pinkie is here! I know it! I just know it!

“Right.” Rainbow nodded, standing up tall. “There's no time to waste. Especially with Echo and the Doc putting themselves on the line up above.”

“Are we going to swim back?” Twilight asked.

“I... think there's another doorframe,” Rarity said. “I'm not sure, but I feel as though this shrine to the Sirens was built around the circular chamber below.”

“You mean there might be a way on the other side?”

“Still, let's not risk anything unnecessarily,” Rainbow said, stripping of her saddlebag and slipping out of her diving suit. “Let's find a place to put these for a return trip.”

“How?!” Twilight retorted. “The manatanks have almost no oxygen left!”

“We'll figure it out eventually.” Rainbow gazed ahead, ears twitching. “Somehow, we'll deal with it all... after the Machine World...”

“Hello?!?” Bard wheezed, eyes wide. He and Wildcard stared at Rainbow Dash, slack-jawed. “Did y'all hear a word we said? How in tarnation did you figure out that my skin needed savin'?”

“Jee, I dunno,” Rainbow droned, peeling out of her wet suit. “Magic... feminine intuition... you take a pick. Right now, we gotta be somewhere.”

“It... couldn't have been Princess Camellia,” Bard spoke out loud. “The most she can do is see through yer eyes, and you had your eyes set straight ahead! And in the darkness!”

“Look...” Rainbow Dash looked over at the duo with a slight frown. “Every answer you need to know—I've already told you. And, quite frankly, I don't care if you believe any of it or not. I'm glad you're not dead n'stuff, but right now I gotta get downstairs.”

“What's downstairs?”

“One of my friends.” Rainbow gnashed her teeth as she finally yanked the last of the suit's sleeves off of her. Her tail flicked loose. “And I'm friggin' tired of wasting time!” She stood free, catching her breath. With a calm gaze, she glanced at the two. “You guys good?”

Bard and Wildcard numbly nodded their heads.

“Good.” She spun and trotted swiftly down the neck of the winding corridor. “Then shake a leg.”

The Desperadoes lingered behind. They exchanged glances, and Wildcard gestured with his talons.

Bard nodded. “Reckon yer right, Dubya-Cee.” He scratched his head and looked after Rainbow's exit. “Just when you thought this world wasn't fantastic-like enough...”

PreviousChapters Next