• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,302 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,302

PreviousChapters Next
Somewhere, Beyond the Sea, Somewhere Waiting

“Rainbow Dash,” Twilight Sparkle murmured. “What... what is she saying...?”

Rainbow squinted at the regal sight before her. “...a test?

Camellia merely nodded silently.

“What kind of a test?”

“Such is not my place to know,” Camellia said. “The blessed Shrine of Verlaxion is off-limits to me. At least... so long as I swim these mortal currents.”

“Shrine...?”

“A place deep below Shoggoth where Verlaxion has left a piece of her power. A shard.” Camellia's eyes glowed bright green. “I believe you have found such a place before...”

Rainbow gulped. “The Nealend Atoll...” Her brow furrowed. “So there is a way to get to the Machine World here.”

“If that is what you call it,” Camellia remarked. “My subjects here in Shoggoth have always basked in the glory of Verlaxion's blessing, but I've always sensed that there was... more to it. Something hidden. Something unique and purposeful, left for one soul and one soul alone to open the seal to. I believe that is you, Rainbow Dash, or—the Austraeoh—as you refer to yourself.”

“Is that what Verlax believes I am?” Rainbow asked.

“I am... not certain. But it is quite possible. When the Blight fell, it sent a ripple across the seas—both above and below the surface. Everypony in Shoggoth has sensed it. I can only imagine what it is that the Queen has sensed, and how it pertains to you.”

“So... if it is a test that awaits me,” Rainbow Dash murmured, starting to pace below the Princess. “Just what kind is it?”

“I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash,” Camellia spoke. “I cannot pretend to tell you that. Not with absolute certainty. All I can do is get you there.”

Rainbow sighed. She paused to rub her forehead, teeth clenching. “...and what do you want in return?”

“I believe we can be very helpful to one another,” Camellia's voice declared. “Furthermore, you may find that what we're able to accomplish will be advantageous to both parties.”

Rainbow looked up. “An end to the Syndicate.”

Camellia's eyes narrowed. “Shoggoth has existed for generations and generations. It has thrived off the productivity of both seaponies and surface trotters. Part of this productivity includes trade and a bustling economy. However, while this system has produced many fundamentally altruistic organizations, it has—ultimately—developed a banal tumor of disgusting proportions. That which you call the Syndicate was once a noble enterprise, an empire of trade and monetary exchange that sought the benefit of all parties involved. In the last few centuries, however, it has turned into something corrupt and cancerous. I've witnessed extortion, bribery, and attempted murder under the noses of my very own subjects, and it pains me greatly.”

“Can't you do something about it, though?”

“Although I am the Siren Princess, I'm afraid that—”

“Yeah yeah yeah... your 'fins are tied' by the 'rules of Muddredger coexistence' or what crap.” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “I've been told that time and time again by a pretty smart pony. But... like... so what?” Her muzzle scrunched. “If the Syndicate's so bad, can't you take them out on your own?”

“I'm afraid that if I sent my forces to challenge the Syndicate, the repercussions of such a public act would have terrible consequences. A horrible schism would tear the infrastructure of Shoggoth apart long before the truth behind the Syndicate could be conveyed, thereby vindicating my actions.” Camellia slowly shook her head. “The only probable solution would be to present concrete evidence of the Syndicate's wrongdoings before the Council at the Marine Auction House, but—as you can imagine—the Syndicate does an exceptional job of covering their tracks.”

“But you can control ponies' minds!” Rainbow exclaimed. Rarity and Twilight looked at her sideways as she continued: “Couldn't you—I dunno—make the eyes of the Syndicate boss down here all green'n'glowy and get him or her to expose their own organization's sins?”

“I'm afraid it is not even remotely that simple,” Camellia said. “My innate gifts do not work on more than one equine at a time. I have, indeed, contemplated doing that which you propose, but the members of the Syndicate are simply far too numerous. There is no single pony who—through direct control—could be made to destabilize their entire organization.”

“Then... like... I dunno...!” Rainbow Dash's voice cracked: “You and your ponies' magic control all this floaty water crap! With a snap of your fins, couldn't you just wash away the Syndicate and all of their ugliness?”

“Rainbow, honestly!” Rarity exclaimed.

Rainbow groaned. “Face it, Princess, you have a whole lotta friggin' power at your disposal! I just... I-I just don't get how you can stand for these bad dudes and their bullcrap!”

“Power alone is no substitute for flexibility or finesse,” Camellia said. “This environment in which the Syndicate flourishes also allows countless other ponies to dwell in peace and enjoy the fruits of their labor. There is nothing wrong with the vision of Shoggoth. But even the glorious things of our culture have hidden niches in which filth can collect and fester. As Princess of the Sirens, I am in charge of regulating the marine half of this community. To exercise any more power would threaten to destabilize the entire Muddredger colony. The repercussions could be disastrous to the local economy, not to mention the way of life for tens of thousands of Rohbredden citizens here and abroad.”

“But if the Syndicate was to be taken down, then it'd be best for everypony... right...?”

“This is true... but only if the Syndicate dissolves in a way that is gradual, civil, and doesn't collapse heartlessly on the many-many souls who support its less-malicious branches,” Camellia explains. “Not all ponies who work for the Syndicate are evil, Rainbow Dash, and they deserve a second chance. The only way for the Syndicate to dissolve without shredding a hole through our civilization is for it to happen through the legitimate exposure of corruption in its upper echelons. I have always sought for a way to make this happen, but I've not had any close allies capable of getting close enough to the Syndicate to acquire such evidence.”

“Until now...” Rainbow gulped. “I'm here. My friends and I...” Her eyes narrowed. “...and we have a pony who's been on the inside.”

“Indeed.” Camellia nodded. “More importantly, you've done something that nopony visiting Shoggoth has ever remotely come close to accomplishing before. You've single-hoofedly brought down the Northern Branch of the Syndicate. Granted, the ponies in Rust were far... far more corrupt than the ones who operate here. However, I fear for the future of Shoggoth—that it will someday become something as grim as Rust, if not more so. But that doesn't need to come pass. If you can find and expose the Southern Hoof's connections to Revan's organization in Rust, then it will paint just the kind of damning picture we need to reveal to the rest of the Council here in the Muddredge City.”

“And what does that mean, exactly?” Rainbow Dash replied, blinking. “We gotta break into the Southern Hoof's Vault now?”

“Not quite, Rainbow Dash,” Camellia said. “In fact, I do believe you have enough at your disposal to expose the local members of the Syndicate as it is.”

“Then why'd you stop us, huh?” Rainbow Dash remarked. “Why bring us down here to begin with? We were on our way to the Marine Auction House to do just what you're proposing, Your Highness.”

“Not precisely, I'm afraid. There stands to be some... important alterations to your plan.”

“Oh really?” Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow. “In what way?”

“There are methods by which you and your friends can make what we both desire here in Shoggoth possible,” Camellia said. “While simultaneously granting you access to Verlaxion's Shrine. You see, Rainbow Dash, you are the first pony in a long time who can go precisely where I can't... and yet I can facilitate that passage, so long as we can work together.”

Rainbow took a deep breath, then nodded. “Alright, Princess.” She leaned back, ears twitching. “I'm listening...”

PreviousChapters Next