• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,308 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,308

PreviousChapters Next
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Blarghl

A surly stallion sat at a workbench, assembling together the intricate pieces of a crossbow. His baggy eyes blinked into the light of a dim manalamp. Above the pony, a partially rusted stairwell loomed, and the ambient groans of a tall metal structure settled all around him. He paused halfway through his weaponizing, leaned back in his chair, and produced a long, tiresome yawn.

It was at precisely this moment that a grate a few paces behind him opened. A blue shadow snuck out, glanced at the back of his neck with glinting ruby eyes, then slinked off into even deeper shadows. While making a hasty retreat, the grate behind the figure clattered into place.

“...?” Blinking, the stallion turned and looked at the final flight of stairs below him. He raised an eyebrow, shrugged, then returned back to the workbench.


“Honestly, Rainbow!” Rarity exclaimed, floating alongside the sneaking mare. “I'm almost certain you could take these ruffians on! You're skilled enough!”

“Calm down, girl,” Rainbow whispered, crawling down the rest of the stairwell in utter darkness. “I know it's super easy to get drunk on kickflankery, but there's a time and a place.”

“Rainbow's right,” Twilight said, smirking aside at Rarity. “Let's not get ahead of ourselves.”

“Easier said than done!” Rarity remarked, wincing as she phased through several support beams. “If I was a solid mare again, I'd be bumping my beautiful muzzle into oblivion by now!” She shuddered. “It most certainly is dark down here, wouldn't you agree?”

“They don't seem to care much about illuminating the bottom floor of their headquarters,” Twilight agreed.

“Tell me about it.” Rainbow paused, glanced behind her for any sign of movement on the stairs, then went ahead and illuminated her pendant. A ruby spotlight shone across the steps below. Rats and various other creepy crawly things scurried out of sight.

“OoOoOoOoOooh!” Rarity flinched, floating aside and hugging Twilight tight. “Gross gross gross!” She sneered. “Why do bad guys always have to be... so detestably garish in their locales?!”

“Now let's not oversimplify things,” Rainbow said, descending the rest of the steps, carefully avoiding puddles of rat feces. “These dudes just made several bad decisions and landed themselves in the wrong crowd.”

“Rainbow,” Twilight groaned, prying herself out of Rarity's embrace. “They knowingly work for an organization that sets innocent ponies' homes ablaze and exploits other citizens for their livelihood.”

“... … ...” Rainbow blinked. “Yeah, you've got a point there. Buck e'm.”

Rarity giggled nervously, flinching as she phased through a dangling spider or two.

Twilight spoke: “For all we know, maybe what we're doing here... what you're doing here is going to be akin to harmonic intervention! Once the Syndicate's collapsed, they could find new, far more innocent ways of living!”

Now we're oversimplifying things,” Rainbow grumbled.

“Well?” Twilight cocked her head to the side. “Isn't it possible, you think?”

“I only care about one possibility right now,” Rainbow muttered, finally reaching the bottom floor. Like a tried and true basement, the chamber was filled to the brim with random junk covered in canvas tarps and layers of dust. “And that's how I can bring this place down without... bringing it down.”

“How do you mean?” Twilight asked.

Rainbow shone her light across the bulkheads, eyeing the various stretches of thick metal and reinforced steel. “Just 'cuz I wanna drown the headquarters doesn't mean I wanna drown the ponies themselves, ya dig?” She paced along the edge of the room, skirting around piles of rusted blades and questionable pieces of armor. “Besides... we want a slow flood, not a crazy deluge. Otherwise, Wildcard and I won't be able to extract any of the vault's goodies in peace.”

“Well, certainly I can be of assistance in that,” Rarity said, smiling proudly.

“You read my mine, girl.” Rainbow motioned along the wall, shining her ruby beacon. “Where is there water on the other side?”

“Mmmmm...” Rarity tapped her chin in thought. “... there!” She pointed in a flash. “The west and east sides, respectfully. Plant a charge on either wall, and the water should rush through the holes in equal volume.”

“And... and what if I accidentally sink the whole dang place?”

“See those thick vertical beams?”

“Yeah...”

“Place the explosives to the left or right, but not directly on the beams,” Rarity said, glancing at Rainbow Dash. “I sense that they support the bulk of the structure's weight. If we blast the walls next to them, it should expose the bottom floors to water, but the foundation will still hold.”

“Clever girl.” Rainbow zipped up to the west wall and attached one of the two charges. She then flew to the opposite wall, skirting over piles of junk as she pulled out the second explosive. “Twilight, any idea what could set these off?”

“Uhm...” Twilight suddenly bit her lip. “Oh dear...”

“Huh?”

“Well... I-I suppose we should have thought of that a great deal harder before you split off from Wildcard,” the mare said, floating with a worried expression. “After all, you haven't got a unicorn's horn to connect to the leylines of the manacrystals built into the device.”

“Or I could do this.” Rainbow's eyes twitched, flickering red-on-yellow. The glow of her pendant intensified by tenfold, and soon a solid beam of harmonic energy short forward, encompassing the charge. ZAAAP!

The explosive lit up, humming like mad. Both of Rainbow's marefriends shrieked.

“Good heavens!”

“Rainbow?!?” Twilight yelped, for this time it was her turn to clutch Rarity tight. “What in the hay?!?”

“Hey! It's okay!” Rainbow hissed above the high-pitched wine of the fiery explosive. She zipped back to the opposite wall and did the same to the other charge. Soon, both mana-powered devices were glowing hotly. “Really! Stop freaking out! In the words of a wise zebra, don't panic!”

“You have to be more careful than that!” Twilight snarled.

“Hey! It's all gravy!” Rainbow Dash stood a wide distance away from the two explosives, perching on the bottom of the stairwell. She tucked her wings to her side and smiled aside at the phantom mares. “So... how long do you think until those things' fuses run out?”

KA-POWWWWW! In dual flashes of flame, the charges went off. A conjoined wall of seawater flew straight into Rainbow's face.

“BLARGHLBLARGHLBLARGHL!!!” She flipped backwards like a blue sea otter and disappeared amidst the black, sloshing currents.


Wildcard's beak rattled.

He teetered left and right as a dull vibration ran up through the fourth floor of the Stronghold.

All around him, explosive parts and random junk rattled on the shelves lined up in front of the storage room's vault.

The bruised thugs groaned in the corner, their bodies shifting from the tremors.


Up on the highest level, Bard and Revan felt the tiniest flutter of movement, followed by a dull roll of thunder through the bulkheads.

Bard blinked.

Revan sat up straight, his ears pricked. “What in the Hell is that...?”

“Uhhhh...” Bard glanced aside.

Echo was rolling on the floor, wincing. His ears folded back as the sarosian struggled to drown out the noise.

“What's his friggin' problem?” Revan sneered.

“Blood's rushin' to the wrong end of his body, I reckon,” Bard said. Another dull vibration ran through the structure, causing Revan to stand up. To this, the mercenary brightened. “Hey! I know what could liven up this conversation!”

“Grrff...?” Revan pivoted around, glaring.

Ziiiiiiip! Bard pulled out his guitar from his case. “How 'bout a song, buckaroo?” He grinned wide, twitching.

PreviousChapters Next