• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,303 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,303

PreviousChapters Next
It's Always Coziest Atop The Cliff

“Rainbow, could you slow down?” Twilight protested, trying to catch up with the galloping mare. “Just a little bit?”

“It wouldn't be very proper to leave your companions back there!” Rarity added.

“You girls seriously want me to wait now?!” Rainbow's voice cracked as she sped her way down the winding corridor. Etchings and images of sirens swam past her, lit by dim manatorches. “We're so close to breaking Pinkie free. Nothing on this whole wide plane is gonna stop me from yanking her out of that—”

“Rainbow Dash...!” Camellia's voice rang loudly in her head.

“Gaahh!” Rainbow skidded to a stop. She braced herself against a wall, gnashing her teeth. “Except that.”

“What is it, darling?” Rarity asked.

“What else?” Clearing her throat, Rainbow tilted her head up towards some nebulous position beyond the narrow corridor's ceiling. “Your Highness, you have an update?”

“I would ask the same of you, Rainbow Dash. Have you and your companions located the lower tombs?

“Yeah. We're all here.”

There was a slight pause, as if a regal telepath somewhere was taking a deep breath.

At last: “It fills me with great relief to hear that.”

Rainbow arched an eyebrow. “Why do you sound so friggin' relieved?”

“What's she saying?” Rarity asked, only for Twilight to give her a slight shove. The two ghostly mares fussed with one another.

Ahem...” Rainbow glared at them to stop, then tilted her head up once more. “What's going on, Princess?”

“From what my representatives tell me, there is a great deal of commotion happening within the Marine Auction House. I can sense all of Shoggoth alive with shock and anger.”

“Then it worked?!?” Rainbow stammered “The Doc and Echo slapped the Syndicate where the Sun doesn't shine?”

Twilight and Rarity leaned forward.

“It is difficult to tell. The citizenry is most certainly concerned about the recent revelations, but everything is still being reviewed. As a matter of fact, the Council of Shoggoth has declared an emergency meeting with all city leaders.”

“And will that effectively get the Syndicate and all its thugs thrown in the slammer?!”

“That remains to be seen. It would certainly help to add more damning evidence to the matter. While you were in their Stronghold, did you take photographs of what you saw there?”

“You bet, Your Highness! And you have my word that I'll bring that back by the Marine Auction House as soon as I'm done here!”

“That shouldn't prove too difficult. If I'm to understand correctly, only the Austraeoh has free access to the shrine of Verlaxion.”

“Yeah. The Machine World only opens up to me. What about it?”

“There are two doors to that chamber. From the way you entered, you should have access to one. But upon exiting...”

“I can come out the other side?”

“It opens up to a deeper trench with a barrier through which only my seapony subjects can enter. But, in addition, there is a path that leads to the junction between all of the royal tombs. That should provide you access to Shoggoth Proper.”

“But—like—that place is off limits! I thought the whole reason my buddies and I came this way was because no landtrotter was allowed in the sepulchers!”

“You are correct. It is forbidden for surface dwelling ponies to enter through the front entrance, which is why they are so tightly guarded. However... there is no law that covers the inexplicable exit of ponies from the lower depths.”

Rainbow Dash smirked. “Now I know for sure you're a politician. What a way to loop around the hole, Your Majesty.”

“As soon as you've gotten what you've came for, exit the opposite end of Verlaxion's Shrine inside the tombs. Take a left at the first water barrier you see, then follow the ascending corridors until you reach Shoggoth Proper.”

“Got it!” Rainbow smirked at Twilight and Rarity. “We've got ourselves a way out of here!”

“Oh, splendid!” Rarity said.

“I suggest you make haste, Rainbow Dash,” Camellia remarked. “Word from the Council is that Boss Jeryn of the Southern Hoof has made himself scarce.”

“What, you mean he ran off?!” Rainbow scowled. “The friggin' coward.”

“I shall investigate myself. Expect to meet me at the Council of Shoggoth, for it is now time that I appear before the Marine Auction House.”

With panting breaths, a thoroughly sweating Bard and Wildcard stumbled their way down the corridor.

“What's with all the yammerin'?” Bard wheezed. “Just minutes ago, you was scamperin' down here like a midnighter outta hell. Now we sees you standin' in place and gabbin' to the walls.” He gulped and waved a hoof blindly in front of them. “Are yer sweethearts here? Hellllllooo...”

Rarity giggled, speaking in a humored voice towards the stallion. “A few feet closer, good sir.”

“Dudes, I just got done with another message from Camellia,” Rainbow said. “There's another way out of the chamber in front of us! I just gotta open both doors and then we can thread on through!”

“Oh, thank Goddess,” Bard exhaled, rolling his eyes. “I'm not sure I coulda done the breast stroke all the way back the way we came. For one, I'm as winded as the dickens. For another, well, no breasts.”

Wildcard gestured.

“Awwwww shut up.” Bard thwapped him with his tail. “I ain't that pudgy. Besides, I gave up sodas years ago.”

“You guys had better get your breaths in order.” Rainbow marched firmly ahead, squinting from the glow of Yaerfaerda. “Cuz that friggin' train of yours won't be stopping for nothing now!”

“How kind of ya to speak in our vernacular,” Bard stammered, hobbling after the mare. “But would ya find it in yer heart to fill us in a bit on these ghost girlfriends of yours?”

“Why's it matter all of the sudden?” Rainbow grumbled.

“Why do ya think, ya fuzzhead?”

“Rainbow, be nice,” Twilight remarked, hovering close by. “They've been through so much while just having faith in you alone.”

“And we can chat all we want once we have Pinkie Pie.”

“Pinkie who?” Bard lisped.

“I know you want to get all of us back, Rainbow,” Twilight said. “But be reasonable!”

“I agree, darling,” Rarity said. “We're here. We've already crossed so many obstacles to achieve this victory at hoof. Let's not cut off the heads of everypony around us.”

“Rarity... Twilight...” Rainbow clenched her jaw. “Maybe you don't realize it cuz you're so late in the game, but when it comes to crazy big-headed bozos like Verlax, there is no being reasonable... nor is there any time to relax and...” She came to a sudden stop, her eyes and muzzle bathed in a cold blue light. “...count our laurels.” The mare's lips pursed. “What in the hay...?”

Bard shuffled up to the entrance of a large chamber. “Whoah dayum!” He did a double-take. “Get a load of this, Dubya-Cee!”

Wildcard peeked in, and he too dropped his beak in amazement.

PreviousChapters Next