• Published 27th Mar 2015
  • 7,302 Views, 12,705 Comments

Ynanhluutr - Imploding Colon



A newly transformed Rainbow Dash continues her flight east.

  • ...
44
 12,705
 7,302

PreviousChapters Next
The Big Dayum Rust Caper, Two

“A flood, of course!” Bard said.

For once, Rainbow Dash shared a gawking expression with Theanim Mane. “A flood?!”

“Are you daft?!” Theanim wheezed.

“Naw, for real, though!” Bard pointed down at the canals from where they stood. An early morning dawn rose over the outer iron gates of Rust, casting a silver sheen across the aluminum roof shingles around them. “Accordin' to yer buddy Echo, the bottom three floors of the Syndicate's HQ are below the water line. If we could find a way to bust open the walls down there, then that would give the whole building somethin' to panic about!” He smiled proudly. “They'd forget about their precious bounty and their bits in a heartbeat!”

“I hardly think the Syndicate's in any position to forget about their bits anytime soon,” Theanim said in a dull tone.

“Well, even if we do get it to flood down there,” Rainbow Dash said, “Won't that make... y'know... getting the money out of there hard?”

“It's all a matter of timin',” Bard said. “You see, the way I sees it, these mobos probably built all of those underground chambers for a reason. In case of a flood, they'd act as emergency reservoirs to protect the rest of the tower from collapsing in on itself. I mean... the place needs a foundation, right?”

Theanim nodded. “I suppose he does have a point.” He looked at Rainbow. “If you can get it to flood at the bottom two floors, then you'll have a window of opportunity to get your job done on the third one. But a very narrow window.”

“Just... how narrow?”

Theanim blinked. “Why... it'd be minutes before the water reached the floor where the vault's located.” He shrugged. “Maybe even seconds. The ocean doessurround us, after all.”

“If anypony can empty that place up in time, it's Wildcard,” Bard said with a wink. “He's faster than greased lightning! And ya ain't half-bad yerself, pretty Missy!”

Rainbow gulped. She turned and glanced at the jagged spires of the Syndicate's main building. “...and, y'know, about the vault...”


“Mrmmmfff...” Echo gulped down a tall glass and wiped his fanged muzzle. “What about it?”

Rainbow sat across from him in the protective shade of their hotel room. “How do we get in and out of that? I mean... these thugs protect the fourth and ninth floor entrances like they're the passages to their honeymoon suites. You'd think that they'd be just as hardcore about maintaining the vault as well.”

“Mmm... a little bit of less and a little bit of no,” the sarosian said.

Rainbow gritted her teeth. “Could you be a little bit more precise than that?”

“Look, it's not exactly a dayum science!” he hissed. “Not to us and certainly not to the Syndicate. Do they protect their vault? Yes.” He shrugged. “But... they have to open the stupid thing up so much on account of all the business transactions they perform. Just short of keeping it wide open the whole time, they use a very rudimentary locking mechanism.”

“Exactly how 'rudimentary?'”

“They hire a friggin' unicorn to walk up and shove his horn into a keyhole.”

Rainbow Dash blinked. “For real?”

“As real as it is stupid.” Echo took another sip and exhaled. “The Syndicate's Boss has only so few ponies he can trust. The most elite of the elite are his unicorn buddies. They make the secret-but-not-so-secret bombs for him... and they make love to his vault door. It's not written anywhere that a thug life has to be a complicated one.”

“What guarantee does he have that these dudes won't just... turn their flank on him?”

“Pffft. With the amount of bits he's shoveling their way?”

Rainbow nodded. “Fair enough. So... uh...”

“You and the griffon are going to have to... convince one of these unicorns to apply his magic to the vault door.”

“And if they don't comply?”

Echo shrugged. “Offer him or her a piece of the cut. By the time you two get there, most of the lower stories will have been flooded, right? So the guard on scene will know that the Syndicate's properly boned. Use this to your advantage and offer them a new future.”

Rainbow's muzzle twisted. “Bard and Wildcard aren't going to like that idea.”

“Why? Cuz it means they'll get a smaller cut in the end?” Echo's eyeslits narrowed. “Well, tough shit on a shit cracker. It's my head being put on the line. Mrmmf...” He nibbled on the edge of the glass, his fangs making tiny fractures. “...was never a fan of this idea to begin with, but everypony else in this party could cripple me with so much as a sneeze, and it could mean a new future for me outside of the Syndicate's reach. So why try and argue?”

“Right right right... all one big happy team.” Rainbow cleared her throat. “But what if the unicorn doesn't bite?”

“Huh?” Echo blinked. “Not everypony's got the Mother of Nightmare's fanged gift...”

“No no... I-I mean...” Rainbow leaned forward. “...what if the dude or dudette's so loyal that they don't accept our bribe?”

Echo shrugged. “I never said we actually needed the unicorn. Just his horn.”

Rainbow's ears folded. “I'm not sure I like that answer.”

“Well I'm pretty sure I don't like your face!” Echo spat. “But it's not like there's anything I can do about it!”

Rainbow sighed. She glanced lethargically at two fixed spots in the air, then muttered, “We'll think about it.”

“Just because I bring up the Mother of Nightmares doesn't mean you gotta use the royal 'we.'”

“Oh hush.” Rainbow slicked her mane back, gazing off in thought. “What else... what else...” Rainbow bit her lip. “Have we covered everything?”

“Pfft. Hardly.”

“Hmmm?”

Echo's leathery wings twitched. “You've still gotta come up with an exit strategy, smarthole.”

PreviousChapters Next